Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

skylined! posted:

Curious to hear from people (if this is the right thread) what they really like about this game, especially when compared to other MMOs.
I like the focus on story, and the story is one I enjoyed following as I played. Coming from WoW, in that game I either didn't know what happening, didn't care about what was happening, or I didn't feel that important to what was happening.

I like that the community is on the nicer side overall and that GMs actually do something about people not acting decently. Someone being a shithead? Report them, and a GM will probably take care of it.

I think the big boss fights are really cool and I enjoy the combat system, once making it out of the early levels at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I like, in no particular order:

1.) the story/music/aesthetic
2.) playing pretty princess dress up with my lalafell
3.) being able to do everything on one character
4.) that the dev team seems more concerned with catering to casuals like me instead of a tiny clique of hardcore d-bags
5.) and, the clincher, that the community is properly moderated and thus isn't pure toxic rear end like many other online spaces

I also enjoy leaping off of cliffs with my dragoon in a middle of a fight, but I don't know if anyone I party with enjoys it

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I like being able to go ham on raiding for two to three months, finish everything worth finishing, and then just unsub and go on hiatus till the next cycle. It's a very chill setup that lets me feel accomplished in the game without demanding all my free time

fake e: and "going ham" here is just a solidly midcore two nights per week

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

skylined! posted:

Curious to hear from people (if this is the right thread) what they really like about this game, especially when compared to other MMOs.

It's got like big, cool, 3D versions of classic Final Fantasy stuff that I love. This game is, I feel, the closest any game has come to replicating the look of some of Yoshitaka Amano's concept art for the series, and I love it.

As I was playing I came to enjoy the story and world too, but the aesthetics are what brought me in.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
The story is what keeps me going long term, but once I catch up I keep playing since I enjoy having all of my classes on one character and enjoying playing them in the side content. The other thing I really like is seeing everyone else's glamour. I'm not that great at making my own, but seeing what other people put together is a joy.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

squirrelzipper posted:

I also like all these things, and I like that if I have only an hour or so to play I can jump in and do some of the MSQ, or a 24 person raid, or a couple dungeons and not stress about any of it. It's very pleasant and forgiving on my time.

A million times this. I played WoW on and off, and invariably would quit because: gearing up to raid felt like work, actually doing the raids required setting aside huge chunks of time, and everything that wasn't raiding felt underdeveloped and unsatisfying.

In FFXIV, I get a lot of satisfaction out of seeing the story, doing random dungeons/trials/raids, putting together glam sets, trying to get mounts, working on relic weapons, checking out side stuff like PotD and Bozja, etc. All of which I can do at my own pace, and all of which feel like they have the same level of care and attention given to them as the more hardcore endgame stuff.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
-good mixture of evergreen content and new challenges; the attitude towards raiding isn't anything mandatory and doesn't try to be an esport, just a skill challenge

-the layers and layers of story all connecting to each other and paying off in unexpected ways

-no fomo content

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Pros:
- One character can be all classes
- Community is generally more patient and forgiving of mistakes/new players. Systems in game like commendations and 'new player' XP bonuses help foster a less aggro attitude towards content.
- Music is exceptional.
- Story is usually really good, but can fall into a lot of "anime" tropes at times.
- Things like the armoury bonus (Where you get double XP while leveling classes lower than your highest class.) and daily roulettes (large bonus for running content the first time each day) make the game easier to enjoy on a casual basis.
- The world share features gives you a lot of flexibility to play with other 'servers': you can hang out in towns, go on quests, etc out in the big world. You can't join guilds or sell stuff on that visiting server, but there is a lot you can do. They're supposedly expanding the world share to cross 'shards' (server regions, essentially) soon, so you'll be even less likely to get locked out from your buds.

Cons:
- The story is mandatory. While I think the story is good it locks almost all content behind it. (Dungeons, mounts, PvP, etc.) It also makes making an alt a real pain. (Though the need for alts is a lot lower since one character can be all classes.)
- Something about the graphics, especially in ARR, feels strange to me. The players and main characters have almost an 'anime' style to them while the world is fairly 'realistic' and also something about the assets (buildings, rocks, trees, etc.) seem to feel weirdly like they were placed and it just... feels very much like "hey don't forget, you're in a video game!". IDK, it seems like a hard to describe complaint.
- I found a lot of systems confusing as a new player. Like you get a 'job' crystals at level 30 that you have to manually equip, but this really serves no actual purpose outside of one job (The Arcanist). Its largely a hold over from an even more confounding older system where you had to have X levels in one class and X levels in another before you could get Y job. I feel like a lot of things are hidden in menus and those menus can often be very large and intimidating at first. (I suppose other MMOs have the same problem but the very design of FFXIV's menus seem less... immersive?)

Word of warning if you do play: wherever you choose to buy the game will be a permanent choice. If you get the game on Steam you have to buy all expansions on Steam. If you buy in a retail store or on the SE/FFXIV site then you're stuck with the SE/FFXIV site. This can make you locked out of certain sale cycles and also can just generally be confusing at times.

Character creation can be weird your first time too:
1. You have to choose your 'shard' (think of it as your region) first.
2. Then you make your character.
3. THEN you choose your actual server/realm. But, if the server/realm is 'full' you cannot create your character on that server/realm at the time. HOWEVER, this 'full' status can change by the hour. So if you really want on a particular server but it is 'full' it is usually recommended that you just wake up at ~ 4AM Eastern/1 AM Pacific and try to make your character then. One neat thing is you can save your character's appearance so you can quickly load out your character again when you force yourself half asleep out of bed to make your character at an unreasonable hour.

Zurtilik fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 12, 2021

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Favorite thing about FFXIV is hands down the music. I've spent the last 6+ years with some song or another from the game stuck in my head.

As far as MMOs go, I feel like one strength of it is that there are tons of interlocking systems so you can progress in many ways. If I want to cap the current tomestones (valor points if you're a wow person?), I have like 5+ ways of doing it and several of those also work toward other goals or make me decent money. If I get bored I have a lot of choices. There's also no huge pressure to stay current on gear anyway.

Another strong suit is that the ability to customize your character has a ton of depth. it could definitely be improved (glamour dresser slots are too low, and dye channels should be more like guild wars 2 so you can really fine tune colors) but it's also clearly the best MMO for making cool outfits, and there are community fashion shows and stuff if you really wanna get into it. This game absolutely understands that fashion is the real endgame.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I've been playing FFXIV as a true MMORPG newbie for about a week, and it made me want to reinstall Destiny 2. I've casually played it on and off for years and wanted to kind of compare the two experiences.

Then I played a little bit and remembered why I always fall off of Destiny: the story is absolute nonsense. I just can't care about it at all. FFXIV is holding up better in that regard so far.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
14 is a game that is very obviously a labor of love by a dev team that has a vision for their product and a drive to share that with a playerbase that they respect and appreciate.

Everything else flows from that; it's the rare commercial product that feels like it's designed in service of fans and community and not a cynical cash grab.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Honestly it doesn't really do a whole lot of things different from other mmorpgs, it just does most of them really well.

The key thing that it does actually do differently, I find, is the job system. After I finished the msq, in other games I'd spend my time grinding the same content to make number go up on that same class. I can still do that here if I want (and do occasionally), but I've spent most of my post-game time grinding the same content on new jobs. It provides so much extra life and variety at that point, and will last me probably until Endwalker (almost 8 down, 9 to go...)

It also doesn't feel like the game (and devs, and other players) hate me. There's babby mode raids for dumbasses like me who still want to experience the content but can't be assed to find a static and prog. You still get big rewards even if you lose in pvp. There's only a couple real hellgrinds, but they're basically just for aesthetics. It's a good time op

acumen fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 12, 2021

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

My favourite part is how supportive everyone is. I’m usually super anxious about doing group content after some lovely WoW and EQ2 experiences years and years ago, but I’m even enjoying healing admittedly-easy dungeons. Still a little anxious but it never turns out badly even when I mess up and the tank dies on a bigger pull than I expected (or if I get greedy with dps, oops); everyone laughs it off and we give it another try.

The number of things with daily timers does trigger my FOMO a bit but I’m learning to live with that, and tbh it’s good psychological exercise for me.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

The number of things with daily timers does trigger my FOMO a bit but I’m learning to live with that, and tbh it’s good psychological exercise for me.

For what it's worth pretty much all those timers are either in service of never-ending daily or weekly bonuses you aren't obliged to get, or things like daily quest limits for rep grinds that you can and will finish in a handful of weeks. The number of things that flat out no longer exist as obtainanable rewards in game are extremely limited and situational; even event rewards will either roll around again down the road or end up in the shop in a year.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I've mostly noticed that the playerbase is way less of assholes than almost any other game I've played, the only other game I've played that had a community that was as forgiving of newbie fuckups is Warframe. And I think it largely comes from the same place: you have to go really out of your way to get into content where the entire party needs to be on the ball. There's a sort of minimum (healer has to heal sometimes, tank needs to remember to put on tank stance and hit their AOEs a few times, people need to watch the wipe mechanics), but it's not a very high bar. It requires a bit more than Warframe where typically one player can carry an entire team sustainably (and typically 3 of the 4 people in a pub are capable of that, it just depends on if they're feeling competitive with the others) but ultimately it's still very forgiving of relaxed, casual play and this trickles down to the players who in turn are pretty forgiving of each other.

IDK though that's just a theory. Maybe it's just that lalafell are a soothing presence.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

It also helps that the people making the game love the game, love the world, and love the players and are doing their best to make the game great. Most players see this, and experience it, and feel the love and return the earnestness in kind.

Corny to say, but I really do feel it’s true.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

I finished 2.0 a few days ago and I've been leveling up an alt job (rog because the high apm of nin sounds fun) and I'm wondering are there are any qol upgrades that make leveling alts quicker by pushing on through the msq? I still like playing my main (pld) to be clear.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Professor Latency posted:

I finished 2.0 a few days ago and I've been leveling up an alt job (rog because the high apm of nin sounds fun) and I'm wondering are there are any qol upgrades that make leveling alts quicker by pushing on through the msq? I still like playing my main (pld) to be clear.

Any class or job that isn't your highest level one gains a 100% EXP bonus - usually called the "Armoury Bonus" - from most combat activities from 1-69. This bonus decreases to 50% at level 70. If you're having more fun with a particular job other than your highest one, you can take it through the MSQ and will probably gain more benefit out of it if your primary job is already well ahead of the quest level of whatever part of the MSQ you're on.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i think finishing stormblood story unlocks a way to level 61-70 easier and the same for shadowbringers and 71-80 but nothing comes to mind for where you're at

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Eh once you're 50 and done 2.0 you should be able to unlock a few more roulettes? Those are a good chunk of exp, though useful for all jobs, not just your secondaries.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

This is especially true during the anniversary event for the game, The Rising. In it they pull back the curtain and thank the players for being so good and staying with the game for so long.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I mean, it's still an MMO, but the game absolutely feels like it respects your time a lot more than any other MMO I've played. Since the majority of the game is not based around the raiding aspect, I don't feel that pressure like I do in most MMOs to just get leveling out of the way. It's been a fun experience where I incrementally get new abilities and new ways to play my class. I'm currently 57 and started at 1 And, even after level 40 I was reliably gaining two or three levels a day just doing quests and dungeon roulette. I assume this will slow down once I hit 60 and then more so when I hit 70, but at no point has it felt like a grind. Plus, there's a billion ways to level. You can run around and do fates, you do palace of the dead, you can do dungeon roulette, you can do quests, and all of it not only rewards you experience, but usually also some other form of currency you could use.

The other big thing, and I'm still incomplete awe of this, It's just how positive and lovely the player base is. As far as I've seen there's no weird tribalism going on, nobody cares about grand companies, or races, or city-states, or whatever. It's just a bunch of people in the fellowship of being nerds. As a healer anytime I've let a tank die on accident it's been met with laughter and a couple quick messages figuring out what went wrong. Hell, my kid woke up the other night and I had to AFK in my dungeon so I just let everyone know, and I got back a couple minutes later and started apologizing and they basically all just told me to shut up one of them told me they understood they also had a kid and then I got three commendations after the dungeon was done. It was so drat wholesome.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Most of the big roulettes unlock post 50. Do leveling roulette and Frontlines (once you reach 30) for big daily chunks. Beyond that do your hunting log if you're still early enough for it to matter. Then you can either run dungeons or if you are interested, do Palace of the Dead. It is worth going through the story to floor 100 at least once so you may as well get some leveling out of it. I don't recommend it as a main way to grind though.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah alliance roulette gives almost as much exp as leveling roulette and 50/60/70 is good too.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Daily roulette bonuses are proportional to how much exp you need to level, so once you qualify to run one it's basically going to be consistently good exp as you go up the ranks.

MSQDR and Alliance DR are obviously only for 50+ jobs, but they're generally the preferred roulettes for exp once you've done your daily Leveling DR. Other roulettes provide a smaller chunk of exp and tend to be more focused on other rewards, but still give you something.

Also once you hit 50+, the beast tribe daily quests are good exp for a pretty small amount of time each day and can easily be worked on when in a queue. ARR beast tribe EXP rewards are anemic but the expansion tribes get progressively better at giving you a bunch of exp; the tribes in Shadowbringers are like 1/6 a level for 3 dailies (5 minutes or so).

Tortolia fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 12, 2021

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Zurtilik posted:

- I found a lot of systems confusing as a new player. Like you get a 'job' crystals at level 30 that you have to manually equip, but this really serves no actual purpose outside of one job (The Arcanist). Its largely a hold over from an even more confounding older system where you had to have X levels in one class and X levels in another before you could get Y job. I feel like a lot of things are hidden in menus and those menus can often be very large and intimidating at first. (I suppose other MMOs have the same problem but the very design of FFXIV's menus seem less... immersive?)

I came here from PSO2 and let me tell you, you want menus? that game has menus. Lots of stuff is hidden in menus here, but for the most part they're structured in ways that make some sense. Though as someone using a controller I know the UI is a bit different, but stuff related to your character is in the Character menu, quests and instances are in the Duty menu, log entries are in the Log menu, etc. Though there are some leaky bits of that abstraction, like your minions and mounts are in separate windows from abilities even though they go on hotbars the same. And I find it kind of weird that Gold Saucer stuff is in the Character category; it makes some sense but still feels wrong.

It's interesting seeing the impact of legacy decisions on both games.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Cool thanks all. I am pretty overleveled for the msq quests so once that levels out I reckon I'll be caught up on the alt and just flip flop depending on how I'm feeling.

Right now going through all these post 2.0 dungeons and having a blast. I really like how they've handled past content with the poetics.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Cool thanks all. I am pretty overleveled for the msq quests so once that levels out I reckon I'll be caught up on the alt and just flip flop depending on how I'm feeling.

Right now going through all these post 2.0 dungeons and having a blast. I really like how they've handled past content with the poetics.

Yeah that's exactly what I did and there's a good amount of experience available to keep two jobs up to snuff with just the occasional bit of catch up grinding. And since you're having fun redoing dungeons with the other job you should be all set!

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

There's 19 total level 50 dungeons, and most of them are pretty cool (15 of them are available immediately on clearing 2.0; 2 are hard mode versions of l50 dungeons you can unlock after the original is cleared, and two are MSQ). They're definitely worth going through even if there's a handful of duds.

They pared way down on the number of dungeons as time went on and tied more of them into the MSQ, but the "Let's make sequel plots to a bunch of our existing instances" approach from ARR and HW dungeons is really great.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

Saxophone posted:

I mean, it's still an MMO, but the game absolutely feels like it respects your time a lot more than any other MMO I've played. Since the majority of the game is not based around the raiding aspect, I don't feel that pressure like I do in most MMOs to just get leveling out of the way. It's been a fun experience where I incrementally get new abilities and new ways to play my class. I'm currently 57 and started at 1 And, even after level 40 I was reliably gaining two or three levels a day just doing quests and dungeon roulette. I assume this will slow down once I hit 60 and then more so when I hit 70, but at no point has it felt like a grind. Plus, there's a billion ways to level. You can run around and do fates, you do palace of the dead, you can do dungeon roulette, you can do quests, and all of it not only rewards you experience, but usually also some other form of currency you could use.

The other big thing, and I'm still incomplete awe of this, It's just how positive and lovely the player base is. As far as I've seen there's no weird tribalism going on, nobody cares about grand companies, or races, or city-states, or whatever. It's just a bunch of people in the fellowship of being nerds. As a healer anytime I've let a tank die on accident it's been met with laughter and a couple quick messages figuring out what went wrong. Hell, my kid woke up the other night and I had to AFK in my dungeon so I just let everyone know, and I got back a couple minutes later and started apologizing and they basically all just told me to shut up one of them told me they understood they also had a kid and then I got three commendations after the dungeon was done. It was so drat wholesome.

I just had a neat little moment in Mor Dhona where a sprout was super confused that their ilevel was too low for duties, and a gaggle of people kept throwing out advice and guidance on what to do to bring it up. Towards the start of the conversation she mentioned that she had a "level 70 weapon chest" that she didn't think she could use because she was level 59, and that it was her weapon that was bringing her ilevel down. 5 minutes later no one had paid this its due attention....

She didn't know what these "tomes" were, so she was just going to farm up the relic weapon in lieu of that! They all talked her down from that, as they should. I'm on the trial and across the map so I couldn't shout a solution but I'm 100% sure they helped her figure it out eventually :unsmith:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

So how do you unlock the “Abandoned Amajina mythril mine” for queuing? I’m on the Crystal Tower unlock questline right now

Nevermind, I got confused by the tracker for another quest in the area

Regalingualius fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 12, 2021

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

Regalingualius posted:

So how do you unlock the “Abandoned Amajina mythril mine” for queuing? I’m on the Crystal Tower unlock questline right now

That's not an instance! click on the quest text to open up the map, or open up your Journal and click the Map button for that quest.

I actually finished the Crystal Tower questline today and that was real fun, story-wise the highest point of ARR so far, though I'm barely just now getting to the Leviathan fight.

I also picked up Monk along the way and boy is it punchy. Every ability feels so much more tactile than every other class so far, though I haven't tried Warrior and I have heard good things about it. Compared to Dragoon it is mind-bendingly complex, to be sure. Not ready to replace Ninja as my main though, I'm getting good enough at the burst phase for other people to notice, and I keep racking up commendations. I'm in it for the long haul :3:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

catgirlgenius posted:

That's not an instance! click on the quest text to open up the map, or open up your Journal and click the Map button for that quest.

I actually finished the Crystal Tower questline today and that was real fun, story-wise the highest point of ARR so far, though I'm barely just now getting to the Leviathan fight.

I also picked up Monk along the way and boy is it punchy. Every ability feels so much more tactile than every other class so far, though I haven't tried Warrior and I have heard good things about it. Compared to Dragoon it is mind-bendingly complex, to be sure. Not ready to replace Ninja as my main though, I'm getting good enough at the burst phase for other people to notice, and I keep racking up commendations. I'm in it for the long haul :3:

Yeah, both monk and ninja are pretty much "complete" at around level 50 (maybe 54 for ninja), whereas a lot of classes have been kind of rebuilt around abilities you don't get until the 60s or 70s. Paladin is still getting key parts of its kit well into the 70s, and summoner doesn't really get its complete rotation until level 72. I really hope they redistribute abilities along the level curve at some point, it's kind of annoying, especially for new players going through the MSQ. It's hard to recommend a class that gets good after like 100 hours of play.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Ok yall have convinced me, downloading now and will give the trial a shot! Thanks!

shoc77
Apr 21, 2015
I just completed the black mage chain of job quests at lvl 50 and received a set of armor so I don't look like a clown anymore. :woop:

I'm a little confused though because there's is also a box of armor which I received upon completion which appears to be the same set of armor as well. What do I do with the extra set and why does the game gives me 2 identical set of armors?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

shoc77 posted:

I just completed the black mage chain of job quests at lvl 50 and received a set of armor so I don't look like a clown anymore. :woop:

I'm a little confused though because there's is also a box of armor which I received upon completion which appears to be the same set of armor as well. What do I do with the extra set and why does the game gives me 2 identical set of armors?

It's a different color and higher item level

As for WHY they do that, same reason they don't give you the chest piece with the others: :shrug:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

shoc77 posted:

It's 40 item levels higher. You used to have to grind your way through the gap between those armor sets, but they want the gearing experience at the old endgame levels to be smooth. So now they just hand it to you for free, and you'll get even better armor as you move towards heavensward.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

shoc77 posted:

It’s Ilvl upgrades of the same gear I think, I got confused at the same point. Just hit the little blue gear me up dude on your character sheet. Also, not sure what set you’re wearing but look into the augmented iron stuff you can buy with poetics now/soon - it glows! And is better. I looked like an off strip Vegas magician prior to the poetics gear.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

cheetah7071 posted:

It's 40 item levels higher. You used to have to grind your way through the gap between those armor sets, but they want the gearing experience at the old endgame levels to be smooth. So now they just hand it to you for free, and you'll get even better armor as you move towards heavensward.

Yeah, the i90 set used to be a separately acquired set for your job you would have to work towards getting. When HW dropped they made the game give it to you as a freebie since it's good enough to get you a good way through the ARR patch MSQs while you accrue poetics for further upgrades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoc77
Apr 21, 2015
I see, is there any reason for me to keep the ilvl 50 armor or should I just junk it to save inventory space?

Also, what is this augmented ironworks and poetic stuff that has been mentioned? I'm already level 51 even though I'm still only at lvl 43/44 of the MSQ chain. Should I even bother myself with those as going by the speed I'm levelling, I'll most likely be in my mid 50s when I complete the ARR MSQ.