Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
It's an Icon Airflite with the vaporwave paint scheme and a gold visor. They have an internal sun visor as well. It's an A for an Icon helmet which means a B overall or a C compared to a Shoei or Arai for fit/finish/etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Looks like an Icon Airflite?

E:fb because I don’t know how to check for new pages.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Yeah what they said. I bought it before hearing people talk about Icon being dog poo poo, but it’s honestly very comfortable and nice for its price point. And that rad visor? Every time - every single time - I go to raise it, my hand automatically goes to where the visor is supposed to be on every other helmet brand. The price of being different.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I'm feeling bad about having a boring matte black helmet now. Can you get them wrapped? Really like the X-Spirit and it's quite $ so I'd like to keep using it.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

You can get them painted

https://www.instagram.com/p/CI45Cm4Hjz2/

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I feel like any disadvantages of the Airflite are made up for by looking like motherfuckin Iron Man.

E: Or maybe more Cobra Commander, idk.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Martytoof posted:

I feel like any disadvantages of the Airflite are made up for by looking like motherfuckin Iron Man.

E: Or maybe more Cobra Commander, idk.

Clearly Master Chief.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

When the visor is up does that big appendage catch a shitload of air or what? I just imagine that shaking the poo poo out of your head

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Toe Rag posted:

Clearly Master Chief.

This is always what I see no matter what color the helmet is.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I have a gloss white Airflite in XL with a gold visor, rear spoiler, and internal sun visor that I've worn once for less than 2 hours that I need to get listed in the for sale thread. Thanks for reminding me

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

When the visor is up does that big appendage catch a shitload of air or what? I just imagine that shaking the poo poo out of your head

I can’t imagine it would be any worse than an visor on an offroad helmet.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Toe Rag posted:

Clearly Master Chief.

Or the old Vipers from GI Joe:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I bought a pinlock insert for my hjc i70 visor (it comes Pinlock-ready) but didn't use it until this morning, which was, fortuitously, cool and humid outside. Previously the visor in this helmet has fogged up real bad unless I crack it openleave it friggin halfway open. Today, the fog still visibly built up, but it vanished almost immediately.

Guess I'm fuckin sold on pinlock.

E: if Icon isn't chasing a Mandalorian tie-in with the shape of that visor I don't know what the gently caress.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Pinlock is absolutely the best invention ever. Even when it's raining you can leave your visor closed, and you'll see a slight puff of mist when you breathe out - but 9 out of 10 times it will indeed disappear right away.

I will never EVER have a helmet anymore without pinlock.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Just bought myself an airbag vest on clearance, it's using the helite mechanical system. Looking forward to looking like the biggest dork on the road, but I think it was Ryan from F9 who really sold me on the idea and only price was stopping me until now.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

SEKCobra posted:

Just bought myself an airbag vest on clearance, it's using the helite mechanical system. Looking forward to looking like the biggest dork on the road, but I think it was Ryan from F9 who really sold me on the idea and only price was stopping me until now.
Is that clearance still ongoing?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Yeah, but I don't think many of the people on the forums will benefit from it. It's a clearance item at "Louis", they had a very wide selection of sizes (and colors) on the clearance rack locally, but they do have some clearance stock left online.

https://louis.eu/artikel/held-6449-air-vest-airbag-vests/208977?list=daaca6869055340a6989b28071776eb6&filter_article_number=21885005

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I've been thinking about getting a tech air jacket for my next leather jacket but drat a* gear turns you into a walking billboard

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yeah I have Alpinestars and I do feel slightly embarrassed when I see a picture of myself.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Can't you unstitch the word logos at least?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

you have to just embrace it, start getting A* tattoos, etc

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

The branding works, literally everyone knows Alpinestars is protective moto stuff. Far more so than any other brand.

It is way over the top though. I don't have any A* stuff other than a pair of gloves. Which I don't wear.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Razzled posted:

I've been thinking about getting a tech air jacket for my next leather jacket but drat a* gear turns you into a walking billboard

They were a lot worse...
Their two supermoto suits from the mid/late 00s.

S2. Fits good from like 180-210lb. Baggy as poo poo below 175.

The S1 fits me a little better at 175 or lower.

The integrated spine protector makes me look pudgy af but whatever.

Had the S1 overhauled in 2019 from age and numerous crashes. If it survives storage it'll come back out. The plastic shoulder armor was getting a bit crispy and old... May have to contact Astars to see if they'll fix it, if not I'll print my own and get a seamstress to fix it.
White and flouro orange is a bastard to keep clean.

Shame they've still yet to figure out zippers though.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

you better make sure right arm doesn't find where it's stored

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lol too fat rn for leathers. not pedal biking to work every day (miss u portland) sucks balls

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Chris Knight posted:

Can't you unstitch the word logos at least?

They're silk-screened(?) on, so you could probably just scrub then off if you wanted. :shobon:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
My usual pants are an old tourmaster leather overpant, and the elastic waist has long been kinda loose. Would it be a bad idea to get some buttons or belt loops put in for suspenders?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
hope they don't fall off in a slide and turn your dick into a stump

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I hope a lot of things don't grind my dick to a stump.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
I'm noticing recently with the higher speeds people are doing in California, I need some better hearing protection. I have a pair of ETY20XS that I like because I can listen to music and they're comfortable enough, but I guess the reduction is 20db or less in some frequencies. Is there a thread recommendation for motos?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Dalrain posted:

I'm noticing recently with the higher speeds people are doing in California, I need some better hearing protection. I have a pair of ETY20XS that I like because I can listen to music and they're comfortable enough, but I guess the reduction is 20db or less in some frequencies. Is there a thread recommendation for motos?

20db is *probably* enough for most helmets at street-legal speeds but the big problem with noise-isolating earphones is you quickly get tempted to crank the volume back up past the danger threshold to drown out the noise getting past them, and you have to be really careful to make sure they stay properly in place when you put your helmet on. There are -30 and further earphones for use in motorsport and live music, and I'm sure someone will be along soon to recommend their particular favourites.

Now personally, for the reasons above and also just for general comfort (because I have fairly shallow ear canals, making earphones under a helmet really uncomfortable) I prefer to stick to conventional earplugs and helmet speakers, but like I say that's a personal thing. Just don't forget to put your earplugs in after stopping for a break, meaning you almost drop your bike when the music comes back on at a level calibrated for your -36db plugs. Ahem.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Phy posted:

I hope a lot of things don't grind my dick to a stump.

Bike gear thread: stops your dick being ground into a stump

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

20db is *probably* enough for most helmets at street-legal speeds but the big problem with noise-isolating earphones is you quickly get tempted to crank the volume back up past the danger threshold to drown out the noise getting past them, and you have to be really careful to make sure they stay properly in place when you put your helmet on. There are -30 and further earphones for use in motorsport and live music, and I'm sure someone will be along soon to recommend their particular favourites.

Now personally, for the reasons above and also just for general comfort (because I have fairly shallow ear canals, making earphones under a helmet really uncomfortable) I prefer to stick to conventional earplugs and helmet speakers, but like I say that's a personal thing. Just don't forget to put your earplugs in after stopping for a break, meaning you almost drop your bike when the music comes back on at a level calibrated for your -36db plugs. Ahem.

what

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Bike gear thread: stops your dick being ground into a stump

We're goons. It barely qualifies as a stump.

right arm posted:

Lol too fat rn for leathers. not pedal biking to work every day (miss u portland) sucks balls

RIP living in the south.

Earplugs: I ran whatever generic contractor edition nrr33s for years.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

it sucks so bad. no public land. I’ve taken to just riding on TVA high voltage easements with my plate removed lol

can’t wait to be back :D

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

people just really are desperate to listen to music while riding 🤷‍♂️

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
speaking of earplugs i purchased the unfortunately named 'high fidelity' eargasm earplugs and have been perfectly happy with their performance. between the buffeting on my mx-9 adv and the cheapo straight pipes i put on they are pretty much mandatory on any highway-speed ride.

IM DAY DAY IRL fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 13, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

speaking of earplugs i purchased the unfortunately named 'high fidelity' eargasm earplugs and have been perfectly happy with their performance. between the buffeting on my mx-9 adv and the cheapo straight pipes i put on they are pretty much mandatory on any highway-speed ride. also here's a crappy iphone photo of my goofy little scrambler-inspired '95 883, perhaps next time i go somewhere photogenic i will take some better pictures. click for bigger resolution

This is loving rad post more of it

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
oh poo poo. thought i was in the HOG thread. my bad!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I had the nonoise ear plugs that f9 recommended but I think my ear canals are too big for them as they wouldn't survive me putting a helmet on half the time. I bought the second place from thr f9 test honeywell laser lites. I don't like that I have to throw them out after 2 rides but they actually block enough sound for highway speed.