Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hesh Ballantine
Feb 13, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Put a couple fans as intake in the bottom of the case blowing directly into your GPU. Two more fans in the front, also as intake. The air will escape out the back and top naturally without additional fans. A single exhaust flan blowing up in the rearmost top position may also help, though with tower coolers that tends to not help a ton. The frontmost top position often hurts tower coolers more than it helps due to it sucking out fresh air before it can reach the cooler. The four-fan config should be good enough, though. That kind of upwards air movement does hurt CPU thermals since the cooler will be eating GPU exhaust, but not by much as long as you have enough fresh air coming in from the front.

One thing you could do to help the CPU if that cooling situation isn't good enough is using an AIO placed in the front. AIO in the front, two intakes on the bottom, two exhaust up top. That is going to give you cool and quiet operation with high-end parts, though it's a more expensive route than the Fuma 2, and may be a bit overkill. A relatively cheap but effective option with AIOs is the Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240. It looks kinda lame with its gimmicky VRM fan, but it's an effective CPU cooler.

If you're not married to the look of that case, then there are many more better-ventilated options out there. The Fractal Designs Meshify series, the Phanteks P500A/P600S, the Corsair 4000D/5000D airflow versions, Be Quiet Silent Base 802 and Pure Base 500DX, Lian Li Lancool II Mesh and Lancool 215, and Cooler Master MB511 and TD500 to name a few alternatives. The theme of these all is that they're totally normal front to back airflow cases which makes for very efficient cooling for tower CPU coolers and usually still provides the GPU with more than adequate cooling as long as you fill up your front fan slots.

I'm not married specifically to that case, but I do want something that looks like a repurposed fishtank. I'm also open to ditching a tower cooler in favor of an AIO, and it doesn't have to be a "relatively cheap" one. So if you have other suggestions for AIO that you think look better, and more importantly are quiet, I'm interested!

Butterfly Valley posted:

Because its way incompatible with the case, which has a maximum air cooler height of 150mm with the Fuma 2 being 155mm.

Missed that, thank you!

Hesh Ballantine fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Aug 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Hesh Ballantine posted:

I'm not married specifically to that case, but I do want something that looks like a repurposed fishtank.

Consider the Lian Li PC O11, I think that's the go to fishtank style case. You'll want an AIO in there though definitely.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The nicest looking AIO is in my opinion the NZXT Kraken series. The X53 is the one you want for the 280X since it only lists compatibility for 240mm radiators.

For the fish tank look though, nothing beats the O11 Dynamic. Moving the fans from the front to the side is key, it gives you an unobstructed view from two sides. Phanteks put out a decent copycat under an imprint, the MetallicGear NEO Qube. Going with ALL THE FANS in either of those will certainly keep your build running cool—a 360mm radiator on the side, and three fans each on the top and bottom, like in the promo shots for the qube.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: *AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor (€410.95 @ Amazon France)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12A 60.09 CFM CPU Cooler (€109.90 @ Amazon France)
Motherboard: MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard (€265.98 @ Alternate)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (€210.38 @ Amazon France)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN850 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (€207.66 @ Amazon France)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card
Case: be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Rev. 2 ATX Full Tower Case (€241.88 @ Alternate)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€149.90 @ Cdiscount)
Total: €1596.65

What country are you in? France
What are you using the system for? Gaming mostly
What's your budget? 1500/2000 without card
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? 1440p / 144hz, I'd like "Ultra presets as fast as possible"

Carrying over a 3070; current prices in France for a 3080 is between 1200/1800 euros (when you can find one), 2k for a 3080 ti and 3k+ for a 3090; I'm happy to make do with my current card till the 3080s go down in price (which they seem to be doing, slowly).

Thoughts?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Carrying over a 3070? I hope you mean 2070, and even then I'd say you're upgrading too soon. If you want a 3080 at rrp get on the StockDrops discord, I got my 3080 from ldlc.fr at RRP back in November and I've had many chances since then to have bought another 30 series card.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Otherwise:

For 1440p gaming the difference between the 5800x and the €100 cheaper 5600x is negligible, the Scythe fuma 2 is a better performing air cooler for nearly half the price, you most likely don't need an x570 motherboard, b550 boards are enough for the majority of users, try to get 3600 speed RAM instead as that does have tangible benefits and at your budget you can afford it, you probably don't need a PCIe 4 NVMe at this point as there is literally no perceptible difference in speed in gaming/general PC use, and finally what does that fuckoff huge and expensive case offer that you can't get in something €100 cheaper while still being high quality and having all the room you need?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I agree with most of that, but sometimes you just want a fuckoff huge monolith on your desk I guess, no judgment there. The design is suboptimal when it comes to airflow, but that case seems like it has decent corner vents, and you can usually brute force such airflow problems with more fans. And you can always just leave the front panel open I guess. The Silent Base 802 has a swappable front-panel design, so you can still get that solid panel look if you want. And it's cheaper, so unless you need the extra space the Dark Base offers, it's probably the better buy.

edit: or alternatively you go the other route and get the biggest of big chungus cases out there

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Aug 12, 2021

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Thanks both! I actually didn't mean to pick a full tower case, must have misclicked on PCpartspicker somewhere. Also joined the Discord, thanks for the heads-up.

To address follow-ups: 1400p @144hz seems to slightly struggle on a 3070, especially with raytracing on; since someone will still be using the old system (with an old 1080 they have) I thought I'd upgrade to a 3080 once prices are closer to RRP and give them the 3070. I've changed the CPU, Motherboard, RAM (also meant to be 3600 in the first place) and hard disk based on your suggestions:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor (€285.00 @ Amazon France)
CPU Cooler: Scythe FUMA 2 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler (€64.88 @ Alternate)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard (€204.94 @ TopAchat)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory (€204.99 @ Corsair)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (€99.99 @ Cdiscount)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Meshify S2 ATX Mid Tower Case (€174.98 @ Amazon France)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€149.90 @ Cdiscount)
Total: €1184.68

That means even with a 3080 at current inflated prices I'd be staying below 2.5k, which is tempting...but I'll still probably wait for a price drop. Reckon it's possible they'll go below 1k?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

canepazzo posted:

To address follow-ups: 1400p @144hz seems to slightly struggle on a 3070, especially with raytracing on; since someone will still be using the old system (with an old 1080 they have) I thought I'd upgrade to a 3080 once prices are closer to RRP and give them the 3070

OK fair enough, I have a 3080 powering my 144hz 1440p screen so I can't say it's not worth it and you're doing something good with the 3070.

canepazzo posted:

That means even with a 3080 at current inflated prices I'd be staying below 2.5k, which is tempting...but I'll still probably wait for a price drop. Reckon it's possible they'll go below 1k?

Given that you already have the 3070 and no pressing need to immediately upgrade I'd say wait for the next stock drop on LDLC where they're sold at MSRP.

In my local Facebook marketplace I can see the scalpers have had to lower their prices and are selling their 3080s for close to €1000 so at least things are trending in the right direction, but don't encourage them by buying one now when you don't absolutely need it.

Edit: you want 3600 CL16 RAM.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

This is only tangentially related, but after swapping all of my components onto an ITX MOBO and putting everything in a smaller case, my PC won't stop waking up from hibernation in the middle of the night or at the slightest vibration. I've disabled letting windows wake it from sleep in the power settings, turned that off for the mouse and wifi adapter and everywhere else I could, but it keeps happening even though it's the same HD as my old build and it never happened there. Any idea of what's causing this? I keep seeing my RAM LEDs go on in the middle of the night and have to repeatedly go over and turn it back off.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

My 3080 also struggles to hit 144hz with raytracing at 1440p, and that’s in non-CPU bound games (I have a 7700k).

Raytracing is brutal. It’s the kind of tech you generally want to target 60FPS for.

Hesh Ballantine
Feb 13, 2012

Butterfly Valley posted:

Consider the Lian Li PC O11, I think that's the go to fishtank style case. You'll want an AIO in there though definitely.

The nicest looking AIO is in my opinion the NZXT Kraken series. The X53 is the one you want for the 280X since it only lists compatibility for 240mm radiators.

For the fish tank look though, nothing beats the O11 Dynamic. Moving the fans from the front to the side is key, it gives you an unobstructed view from two sides. Phanteks put out a decent copycat under an imprint, the MetallicGear NEO Qube. Going with ALL THE FANS in either of those will certainly keep your build running cool—a 360mm radiator on the side, and three fans each on the top and bottom, like in the promo shots for the qube.

Do either of you have an opinion on the Lian Li O11D Mini? I know I'm pushing on levers that go in opposite directions - I want a smaller (though not SFF territory) presence on my desk, but also want the fishtank, and the cooling. If you think it's a no go, I'll defer to wisdom and go with the full ATX O11D.

edit: also, do you think the WD black SN850 is overkill? I'm told, anecdotally, that it is "substantially faster" than the blue 550, but it's also twice the money. I don't mind spending if it's worth it though.

Hesh Ballantine fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Aug 12, 2021

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So my friend is looking into building a modest PC. Here are the details:

- Main use: Coding/Gaming. For gaming they’re mainly aiming to play the latest Sims game (4?) and some other stuff like the Gloomhaven pc game, so overall nothing super intensive. Some typical office stuff too, but nothing crazy.
- budget: they would like to stay around 600-800 dollars

As far as the monitors go, I’m guess they will be 1080p. Nothing fancy

Any help would be appreciated!!

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

LuckyCat posted:

Welp my worst fears were realized. I got the build together and everything works great… but it’s having the exact same issue as my previous pc. The only component in common is the GPU. :(

Under heavy load, games go dark and freeze. I’ve tried many games and it seems to happen quicker when the game is demanding or the settings are cranked up. I can buy myself more time by turning settings down, but that is dumb.

Am I hosed or is there a way I can troubleshoot the GPU? Temps seem fine. I used Afterburner to turn fans on max and still after a while, the game froze with the GPU still at a reasonable temp.

Alright I have achieved some success with undervolting. Here is where the curve is currently but I think there's more room to undervolt because I'm still getting crashes on newer games with nicer graphics.

Would an alternate cooling solution help? What would cause things to crash like this that would be improved with undervolting? As far as I can tell it is not temp related unless Afterburner is incorrectly reporting solid temps.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

If temps are 70s or below is likely not temp related.

I don’t have much undervolt experience so I can’t help much there. The OC thread maybe?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

change my name posted:

This is only tangentially related, but after swapping all of my components onto an ITX MOBO and putting everything in a smaller case, my PC won't stop waking up from hibernation in the middle of the night or at the slightest vibration. I've disabled letting windows wake it from sleep in the power settings, turned that off for the mouse and wifi adapter and everywhere else I could, but it keeps happening even though it's the same HD as my old build and it never happened there. Any idea of what's causing this? I keep seeing my RAM LEDs go on in the middle of the night and have to repeatedly go over and turn it back off.

I had this same issue and I found that in my case, this was the solution - has been working so far at least.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

canepazzo posted:

I had this same issue and I found that in my case, this was the solution - has been working so far at least.

Already did this, it has been disabled

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
I am in search of a new ATX case and it turns out hanging the computer under the desk rules out the standard Fractal Design choices because the buttons and ports are at the top. What are the good case options with those at the front.

I would also like to keep my DVD-drive for the occasional CD ripping, but I guess there are now cases that put the 5.25 bay at the bottom in the PSU tunnel, so time to give up on that.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Saukkis posted:

I am in search of a new ATX case and it turns out hanging the computer under the desk rules out the standard Fractal Design choices because the buttons and ports are at the top. What are the good case options with those at the front.

I would also like to keep my DVD-drive for the occasional CD ripping, but I guess there are now cases that put the 5.25 bay at the bottom in the PSU tunnel, so time to give up on that.

I think for most modern optical drive use most people just use an external USB unit. I hung on to my bluray burner for years and years but I honestly can't remember the last time I even opened the thing. Someday I'll get around to ripping my entire CD collection to FLAC but any old PC I have laying around can handle that.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I've been thinking of buying a new case because the current one is an older model and I've never gotten good airflow in there.

How dangerous/difficult is it to keep a build identical, but move it to a new case (without breaking anything obv)

double nine fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 12, 2021

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

double nine posted:

How dangerous/difficult is it to keep a build identical, but move it to a new case (without breaking anything obv)

It's not dangerous or difficult at all. It's just disassembling something you assembled and then putting it all back together again. It's just kind of time consuming and a waste of time unless there is something you really want in a new case (windows... more space... a lot better cooling...)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Hesh Ballantine posted:

Do either of you have an opinion on the Lian Li O11D Mini? I know I'm pushing on levers that go in opposite directions - I want a smaller (though not SFF territory) presence on my desk, but also want the fishtank, and the cooling. If you think it's a no go, I'll defer to wisdom and go with the full ATX O11D.

edit: also, do you think the WD black SN850 is overkill? I'm told, anecdotally, that it is "substantially faster" than the blue 550, but it's also twice the money. I don't mind spending if it's worth it though.

The O11 Mini is good. Here's a video reviewing it and showing off one potential build. Fans blowing directly into the GPU keep it cool, and the CPU doesn't suffer with an AIO water cooler. This is actually the direction I'm leaning in for my next build. Be aware that despite being small, the O11 Mini is not really a small footprint case since it's so wide. It is short though, so what it won't do is loom over you.

And yes, the SN850 is overkill. I say this as an SN850 owner haha. Perhaps your friend made other upgrades at the same time as their SN850? I have the SN850 as well as a Firecuda 510, a PCIe Gen 3 drive that's also faster than the SN550 on paper. In terms of tangible speed benefits, you get maybe a second or two faster boot times on the SN850. App load times don't really seem much faster than from my Firecuda 510. Game load times are maybe a second or two faster. It's real marginal. If you really want something faster than the SN550, then my suggestion would be the Inland Premium for $10 to $15 more at 1TB. The SN550 is DRAM-less, while the Inland Premium has DRAM and faster read/write speeds. If there are any tangible performance gains to be had by upgrading from an SN550, then upgrading to a Gen 3 drive with DRAM like the Inland Premium will get you most of the way there. Going even faster is pretty pointless with the way computers work right now.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 13, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

double nine posted:

I've been thinking of buying a new case because the current one is an older model and I've never gotten good airflow in there.

It's neither dangerous nor difficult, though I would advise using proper ESD gear, mostly a wrist strap and a pad to set your components on when they're in neither case. Assuming your case has any room at all I expect it would be easier and cheaper to add 1-2 more case fans to get more air flowing through it.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Build came in, and it's.. something.

Case is between 3-6mm of aluminum, depending on where you measure it. The entire thing is aluminum and it's hefty, like a black Mac Pro.

4mm glass. The glass is smoked so the inside is pretty subtle when its on. There's a glass panel on the back too, they swing out and attach with a magnet on the case.

All the panels are magnetic, so you can pull the front off or swing open the side panels though the magnets, including all the external dust covers (front and bottom). I'm not sure why more places don't include magnetic dust covers.

I also noticed there was a huge checklist of all the "setup". Full burn-in, full RAM, CPU and SDD checks, thermal tests, overclocking parameters set up, 3dMark tests, different CPU/GPU stress tests and game benchmarks, BIOS restoration, a few others. Basically a complete system bring-up and 100% component check, and "ready-to-go" overclocking. So the labor price seems quite a bit higher than other builders.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 12, 2021

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

The O11 Mini is good. Here's a video reviewing it and showing off one potential build. Fans blowing directly into the GPU keep it cool, and the CPU doesn't suffer with an AIO water cooler. This is actually the direction I'm leaning in for my next build. Be aware that despite being small, the O11 is not really a small footprint case since it's so wide. It is short though, so what it won't do is loom over you.
Adding on to this, the O11 mini is actually larger (by volume) than a Meshify C :science:

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

This seems well put together but the logo reminds me of a mascot head

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I guess Falcon Northwest's obscene pricing at least gets you a nice looking product. That is some interesting cable routing.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I didn't know about them before, but apparently the cables are all from CableMod

Guess I know what I'm using from now on.

e: they even make completely custom lengths and colors and types, built-to-order

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 12, 2021

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Takes No Damage posted:

I think for most modern optical drive use most people just use an external USB unit.

I got USB to compatible interface connection and just use my former internal BluRay as an external drive. Same with some USBs to IDEs and SATAs for both HDDs and SSDs. My happiest find was a USB to FDD for my old floppy drive. I still have like 300 floppies in the closet and around half are full of ancient wisdom, AD&D files and programs, and like 14 original TIE Fighter floppies still in order with none missing.

And plenty of early ‘90s porn so my parents wouldn’t find porn on my Win 3.1 directories. Jerkin’ Pixels one row at a time…

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

That is exactly the perfect kind of cost is no object and I don’t want to build machine.

High quality, good setup and support, no or minimal skimping.

You’re paying for all of that, and a generous % premium, but it’s probably worth it over nearly every other option in that price range.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
the RGB eagle knows why you turned him on and objects.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

CoolCab posted:

hello PRADA SLUT, YOu are quiteGOOD at TURNing me On

DerekSmartymans posted:

And plenty of early ‘90s porn so my parents wouldn’t find porn on my Win 3.1 directories. Jerkin’ Pixels one row at a time…

Heh, I recently stumbled across an archive of old CD ROM ISOs and at least half of them are 90s/early 2000s porn. I downloaded a few (for research purposes only) and even on a modern system you can barely see what's happening, actual postage stamp resolutions. Amazing what the human mind can become nostalgic for...

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Takes No Damage posted:

Heh, I recently stumbled across an archive of old CD ROM ISOs and at least half of them are 90s/early 2000s porn. I downloaded a few (for research purposes only) and even on a modern system you can barely see what's happening, actual postage stamp resolutions. Amazing what the human mind can become nostalgic for...

Any boy who grew up in the 80’s learned how to see naked body parts in a scrambled cable picture. The signal randomly gave a good picture, but even those fleeting few moments would be a green and purple boob or butt.

Or a garbage bag full of Oui, Hustler, and rear end Blaster magazines on the railroad tracks or in the woods. The videos (VHS) at the time we’re SD, and downloads took waaay too long.

Now my phone can present me with any (legal) scenarios and number of nekkid women on demand. Nostalgia hasn’t got nuthin’ on 2021 internet and streaming video.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

DerekSmartymans posted:

Or a garbage bag full of Oui, Hustler, and rear end Blaster magazines on the railroad tracks or in the woods. The videos (VHS) at the time we’re SD, and downloads took waaay too long.
The hidden stashes of porn in the woods is my favorite "urban myth" that's actually insanely real and happened seemingly everywhere.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Takes No Damage posted:

When LGR did a video on the Monorail a while back the one he had was absolutely rammed with early internet porn.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

njsykora posted:

When LGR did a video on the Monorail a while back the one he had was absolutely rammed with early internet porn.

Just looked this up and learned that there was actually a practical use to the mouse cursor trails option that I always kept enabled throughout the 90s despite always having massive CRTs for our home PCs :aaa:

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

CoolCab posted:

bad boyfriend worse lay
Feb 18, 2011

And when they went,
I heard the noise of their wings,
like the noise of great waters.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor (£249.00 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard (£119.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory (£80.39 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£175.49 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case (£98.99 @ Box Limited)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£86.93 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £810.79

What country are you in? UK
What are you using the system for? Gaming
What's your budget? around £900
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? 3440x1440 60Hz

I've got a 970 I'm using for now which I'm hoping to replace with a 3080 when prices come down enough. Is there anything obvious I'm missing/any reasonably priced improvements I could make here? Not looking to overclock anything and not overly concerned about noise.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can
Decided it's time to begin the upgrade journey. Been running the same old Core i5 2500k build now forever and Hell Let Loose looks like dogshit.

I live in the US. Reading the thread, it's amazing to see the difference in component prices between countries.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($288.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($164.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($149.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $843.95

I'm going to stick with my old GTX 970 for the time being, let the GPU wars die down unless anyone has a reasonable suggestion.

I also have an absolutely enormous Corsair Vengeance Case but I would love to hear some suggestions on something smaller, simpler. The vengeance was a nice looking case at the time and I dig the brushed aluminum exterior but it's stupid big.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Sorry, I realized that I forgot some of the details:

What country are you in? US
What are you using the system for? Gaming
What's your budget? ~$1000
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? Currently 1980x1080 @ 60Hz but I would like to pick up a 144hz monitor

Penitent fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Subscribe to the Newegg shuffle each day and see if you get lucky