Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Tias posted:

She has herself said she has bi-polar personality disorder, and seems to identify with it - but has also reported that her psychiatrist and psychologist now are in her family's clutches, and largely serve to tell her no and give her sedatives.

There's also a huge difference between bipolar and the sort of conditions that the sort of conservatorship arrangement she had is designed to cover.

Edit: I mean, poo poo, Dave Chapel had a mental health crisis of his own a few years before Spears did and was all over the media with the basic thrust of the reporting being "dave's gone crazy, is tanking his career." Their situations are more different than they're alike, but they do have in common mid-00s reporting focusing on them being "crazy," and a lot of ugly poo poo floating around about them being irresponsible and not cut out for managing their careers due to "reasons" that basically boiled down to racial and gender stereotypes.

And Chapel isn't even a really extreme example of a celebrity going off the rails due to stress / mental health / drug and alcohol abuse or any other collection of things. Yet somehow Charlie Sheen and pre-ironman Robert Downey Jr. managed to avoid having control of their lives taken from them.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Aug 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I was wondering if anyone here has had an experience of receiving guidance from prayer. I was reading an article about someone who asked God if her family should get vaccinated and God said no. Also, for example, Bush saying that God told him to end the tyranny in Iraq.

Both of these are negative examples, but I'm really not looking to judge. I just have never had an experience where I've prayed to God and like, gotten a reply. I wonder if anyone has a firsthand experience like that and how it feels.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Not so definitively, no. I'm wary of people who claim to get direct and simple guidance from praying. It's too easy to just confirm your own desires and fears.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

For me, prayer is more about taking time to organise my thoughts on the thing I'm praying about - taking stock of the situation, trying to find clarity on the matter. But then, that's also the attitude I take when I do a tarot reading, or consult the I Ching - viewing it as an opportunity to find the answers I might already have, or to find a connection I didn't realise was there.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
A couple of examples come in mind, where either myself or a person I know has received a confirmation about the course taken. Both things happened after the decisions in question had been made so these do not actually answer the question but eh. I'm also fully aware that both of those are possible to dismiss as coincidences but neither of us think they are. (Philosophically speaking, I really dislike the term anyway but that's besides the point.)

One case involved a purchase of an apartment. The apartment seekers had prayed a lot and were thrilled to have a look at one place. They were certain it would be their future home since it matched their wishes really well. Only, they discovered it was actually in a disastrous shape. Back to the market it was. The seekers eventually found a place that they accepted and bought. After they had moved in, they later found the advertisement for the first apartment from inside a jacket pocket or somewhere. (They had cut it from a newspaper back then.) This time they turned it around and what do you know, on the flipside of that piece of paper had been an advertisement for their new home all along.

The other case is about schools. I had managed to secure a place to study in higher education in exactly where I wanted. I then met a girl. It got serious. She was going to study in a whole other part of the country, though. Long story short, it was possible for me to apply to study in that same city as her, in the same field I was already accepted in. However, the way important dates happened to line up, I would have had to give up my already secure dream spot first. If I was rejected, I would be without school and on minimum social security for a year and couldn't afford to move. Well, since I'm telling this story, all worked out well in the end. After a year of studying we were allowed to see the exact points we had gotten from the entry exams/tests/interviews. Due to the nature of the tests it was almost literally impossible to get a full score but I had gotten it. I don't think anyone else can really understand how little I deserved to get that score so I interpret it as a sign that I had ended up where I was supposed to end up and could stop second guessing.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I was wondering if anyone here has had an experience of receiving guidance from prayer. I was reading an article about someone who asked God if her family should get vaccinated and God said no. Also, for example, Bush saying that God told him to end the tyranny in Iraq.

Both of these are negative examples, but I'm really not looking to judge. I just have never had an experience where I've prayed to God and like, gotten a reply. I wonder if anyone has a firsthand experience like that and how it feels.

Yes, once. It was deeply unsettling; I wasn't asking for an answer, basically yelling "God, I don't wanna [do such and such a thing]!" and I very, very clearly heard, "I don't want you to." So I didn't. I am glad that I didn't; given how much I did not want to do it, it is quite possible I would have not done it anyway. (I had gotten advice to do the thing, and was praying for confidence to do it.)

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Christian theology contains a pretty large body of theology about how to tell whether something is from God or not. It's clear that the "or not" category is very big, and causes a lot of problems for a lot of people. And yet people like to assume that their own preferences are actually the voice of God. If you look through the bible though, it seem like in the cases where God actually directly speaks to someone, it's only rarely news they want to hear.

Personally I've never actually heard God in anything like a literal sense. I have often had experiences where after praying, something then happens in apparent answer that seems way too obvious to be coincidence. The "still small voice", as it were. But I admit, nothing that couldn't be written off by a skeptic as confirmation bias or Baader–Meinhof.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
In Orthodoxy, there's even a term for thinking you're closer to God than you actually are: "prelest." Turns up all the time in the Philokalia. If you hear a voice or see a vision, it's perfectly reasonable to ask "Are you sure you're God?"

That said, I've gotten good results from asking the Virgin Mary for help.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
I have had quite the day.

I was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea and given a prescription for a CPAP. This is pretty much exactly what I was hoping for as this is a treatment I know will help.

Also, I had a call with the Vocations Director for a monastery I’ve been eyeing. At the end of the call he invited me to spend two weeks with the monks living in the monastery.

Thank you and bless you all for your prayers. Today is a good day.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Happy for you Thirteen.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Praise God for answered prayers 13.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

CPAP life is a good life. I've had a blackout since Wednesday and miss my air machine something fierce.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

We have had a few students delay their bar or bat mitzvah celebrations because of the pandemic, and now it's becoming more and more apparent why we don't commonly have public celebrations of 14 year old girls. :sigh:

They hate their bodies, they are more self conscious than last year, and that's without all the build up of pressure of this big family and community event. I'm trying to get parents to back off and center this experience around the young adult, because otherwise they aren't going to have a celebration at all.

Send us good vibes, please, and Shabbat shalom to all.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

WrenP-Complete posted:

We have had a few students delay their bar or bat mitzvah celebrations because of the pandemic, and now it's becoming more and more apparent why we don't commonly have public celebrations of 14 year old girls. :sigh:

They hate their bodies, they are more self conscious than last year, and that's without all the build up of pressure of this big family and community event. I'm trying to get parents to back off and center this experience around the young adult, because otherwise they aren't going to have a celebration at all.

Send us good vibes, please, and Shabbat shalom to all.

Blessed sabbath and good vibes to you. I'm glad the young ones have someone with your mindset as an example.

E: power came back on and I had my first good night's sleep in days last night. CPAP showed nearly 10 hours of use.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Double post but prayers for Haiti where on top of everything else they just suffered a major earthquake stronger even than the devastating 2010 quake.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

HopperUK posted:

Not so definitively, no. I'm wary of people who claim to get direct and simple guidance from praying. It's too easy to just confirm your own desires and fears.

My Pentecostal MIL does this all the time and it honestly drives me nuts.

“God told me to gift you this side table.”

“God is telling me to buy this brand of beans.”

“God is telling me to talk to this person in the lobby and get their contact information to get them saved later.”

“He will survive his cancer. God told me he will.”

I’ve never felt God call me to do anything but repent and forgive and be thankful. :shrug:

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009

ProperGanderPusher posted:

My Pentecostal MIL does this all the time and it honestly drives me nuts.

“God told me to gift you this side table.”

“God is telling me to buy this brand of beans.”

“God is telling me to talk to this person in the lobby and get their contact information to get them saved later.”

“He will survive his cancer. God told me he will.”

I’ve never felt God call me to do anything but repent and forgive and be thankful. :shrug:

At least she isn't going

"God told me you are going to give me the jewellery your gran gave you!"

"God told me to remind you that you are not allowed to have long hair!"

"God told me you are going to do all the cooking this week!"

I do not trust people who claim God speaks to them in this way, no.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

BattyKiara posted:

At least she isn't going

"God told me you are going to give me the jewellery your gran gave you!"

"God told me to remind you that you are not allowed to have long hair!"

"God told me you are going to do all the cooking this week!"

I do not trust people who claim God speaks to them in this way, no.

She has people in her family like that. Luckily she’s pretty sweet and free of NPD-like traits.

She’s also not as quirky as her cousin who claims to have a miraculously everflowing bottle of Mountain Dew, among other things.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

ProperGanderPusher posted:

She has people in her family like that. Luckily she’s pretty sweet and free of NPD-like traits.

She’s also not as quirky as her cousin who claims to have a miraculously everflowing bottle of Mountain Dew, among other things.

:raise: I feel like that would be really, really easy to test.

"Drink your mountain dew. Ok so . . . . . see how it's empty?"

edit: I mean, I'm not about questioning people's faiths, but if they claim to have a straight up miracle happening in front of them I want some level of proof. Show me the miracle.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

:raise: I feel like that would be really, really easy to test.

"Drink your mountain dew. Ok so . . . . . see how it's empty?"

edit: I mean, I'm not about questioning people's faiths, but if they claim to have a straight up miracle happening in front of them I want some level of proof. Show me the miracle.

I asked just now about its exact whereabouts (even my MIL thinks it’s weird and funny). It’s been passed between friends and nobody’s sure who currently possesses it this exact moment. It’s effectively been ark-of-the-covenant’d.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

big soda could not let something like that just hang about now could they

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

big soda could not let something like that just hang about now could they
There's a duck comic on this topic, though I think it was some native ducks who have magical refilling soda pop bottles

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

In the past, I have expressed a certain affinity to original sin. I find it remarkably egalitarian - if we are all wicked and evil, that should promote tolerance. He who is without sin and all that.

Sadly, looking at application of this doctrine in history, it's less that and more an excuse to hurt people who don't deserve it. Been reading a couple books on the history of children/childhood and it goes over this.

quote:

These images of innocent and natural childhood did not enjoy a wholesale and uncontested triumph. The challenge to them came from three directions. First, the Puritan emphasis on original sin remained alive. It made adults anxious about children, an anxiety

There is an hour when I must die,
Nor do I know how soon ‘twill come.
A thousand children, young as I,
Are call’d by death to hear their doom.

This legacy from the Puritans was reinforced by the Evangelical revival at the end of the eighteenth century. In 1799 the Evangelical Magazine advised parents to teach their children that ‘they are sinful polluted creatures’, and in the same year Hannah More, one of the leading figures in the Evangelical revival, warned against the prevalence of treating children as if they were innocent.111 Such beliefs were perhaps on the increase in the early nineteenth century, and there are some striking documents testifying to their implementation. In the United States, a Baptist recorded how he had kept his son locked up without food for forty-eight hours until he acknowledged his wrongdoing.112 In Britain, Samuel Butler in his autobiographical novel, The Way of All Flesh, and Edmund Gosse in Father and Son, his account of his relationship with his father, describe in detail Evangelical childhoods. In the United States it was not until the 1860s that expressions of belief in original sin disappeared from popular literature, and not until the early twentieth century that the Presbyterian Church formally abandoned the doctrine of infant damnation.113 But in this the Church was behind the more popular advice books, and almost certainly behind popular belief. ‘Don’t tell children they are sinners’, advised Jacob Abbott in 1871.114
Children and Childhood in Western Society Since 1500

quote:

Unencumbered by any necessary traits, this emptiness called a child can be construed in about any way we like. One of the first ways to present itself figures the child's nature as the fallen nature we adults have left behind with the old Adam. Here, for instance, is a little lesson on politeness meant for children, an exemplum that becomes so caught up in the evil of its audience that it lets go of its own avowed purpose:

Remember then, my dear children, the little history of this day: and, if you would wish to please God, strive to be really polite. But remember, too, that you have naughty hearts, which are full of envy, pride, and selfishness, and that you cannot be really polite, till a new heart is given you .. 45

So there's no point in trying to please God, the author, or parents, since all the politeness one can muster would not really be politeness at all. But, like most writers of this stamp, the author is clear enough about the bad qualities in the child's heart, a clarity notorious in the novels of Mrs. Sherwood: " ... he knew no naughty words and naughty tricks; notwithstanding which, like all little children, who have not yet received new hearts, he was full of evil inclinations .... Every child born of the family of Adam is utterly corrupt from his birth. ,,46
Child-Loving: The Erotic Child and Victorian Culture

I guess I didn't think through the full implications of the idea.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
There is no concept so good it cannot be turned into something evil....

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Are there any resident Calvinists in the thread since the last time I asked? I’m curious what the unapologetic Five Pointers have to say about that view of childhood and whether or not it’s survived in the more conservative denominations (I assume “The Presbyterian Church” refers to the PCUSA and its antecedents).

One of my biggest criticisms of academics involved in religious studies is they always seem averse to actually interacting with the people they study and asking them to explain their beliefs.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

BattyKiara posted:

I'm not trying to be negative or attack anybody in here. I just spend a lot of time reading and don't really have anybody to share what I learn with so I figured somebody here might be interested.

Here is the contrasting view of the child, for instance:

quote:

This was the central message of Romanticism, first articulated by William Blake, but it was quickly confused with another to which Wordsworth had given expression in his Ode on Intimations of Immortality from Recollections of Early Childhood. There he had envisaged the child as being born

Not in entire forgetfulness,
And not in utter nakedness,
But trailing clouds of glory do we come
From God who is our home:
Heaven lies about us in our infancy!

This not only seemed to put paid to original sin, but to replace it with the idea of an infancy positively endowed with blessings from God. Children came to be thought to have keener perceptions of beauty and of truth than adults. In a world much concerned with the ways in which ‘luxury’ could blunt sensibilities or corrupt morality, childhood began to replace ‘savagery’ as the location and repository of virtue. Life could be seen, not as an ascent to maturity, but as a decline from the freshness of childhood. For Wordsworth himself the Ode was an attempt to understand what he saw as his declining poetic powers, and at odds with much else in his writing, but it came to encapsulate what was thought of as a Romantic attitude to childhood: that is, that childhood was the best part of life.

It is difficult to exaggerate the influence of Wordsworth’s Ode. It had, claims Barbara Garlitz, ‘as powerful an influence on nineteenth-century ideas of childhood as Freud has had on present-day ones’. Christians happily accepted that a child was, as the future Cardinal Newman expressed it in the 1830s, a being come ‘out of the hands of God, with all lessons and thoughts of Heaven freshly marked upon him’. The children who climb onto our knees, claimed Rev. Stopford Brooke in 1872, ‘are fresh from the hand of God, living blessings which have drifted down to us from the imperial palace of the love of God’. 122

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
But still, original sin does take different forms depending on which tradition you're dealing with. A lot of these negative views of children seem bound up in Total Depravity, which is why people brought up Calvinism. With Catholicism, Original Sin is washed away with baptism, which of course is not long after one is born. Orthodoxy also practices infant baptism, but views original sin as more ontological, with no implied guilt. Neither one as far as I know holds a child fully responsible for sin until later in childhood. Plus the Romantic poets come from an Anglican milieu, which traditionally avoided the extremes of Reformed theology, whereas the entire purpose of the Puritans was to oppose the more Catholic aspects of Anglicanism. Are there any passages about childhood among non-Protestants?

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

quote:

‘are fresh from the hand of God, living blessings which have drifted down to us from the imperial palace of the love of God’

Nobody who's ever raised a toddler could say this with a straight face.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm not trying to be negative or attack anybody in here. I just spend a lot of time reading and don't really have anybody to share what I learn with so I figured somebody here might be interested.

I meant in general, not your views on original sin. As in "No matter how good you think a concept is, someone out there has taken the same concept and turned it into something utterly horrible". This seems to be one of those unfortunate laws of human behaviour.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Pray for Religious Minorities in Afghanistan at this time. The article starts off focusing on Christians but touches on Shia, Hindus, and Buddhists living in Afghanistan as well.

quote:

Now the United States’ highly criticized withdrawal has left Afghan Christians with no choice but to join those who cooperated with the U.S. and Afghan governments in attempting to hide. The memories of public executions, floggings and amputations of Christians and other religious minorities under the Taliban’s previous rule remain vivid. As the Taliban is reportedly already working to track down the known Christians on its list, some local church leaders are counseling their communities to stay inside their homes, even though they know the best and perhaps only long-term hope is to somehow flee the country. Other Christians are reportedly escaping to the hills in attempts to find safety.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Is this the best place on SA to ask about Taoism? I'm curious about it and want to learn more, but it seems like there's not a lot of resources for Americans who want to learn other than Tai Chi classes and hippy dippy New Age stuff that lumps all Eastern religions/philosophies together as basically the same.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Is this the best place on SA to ask about Taoism? I'm curious about it and want to learn more, but it seems like there's not a lot of resources for Americans who want to learn other than Tai Chi classes and hippy dippy New Age stuff that lumps all Eastern religions/philosophies together as basically the same.

I'd say go for it! We've had a lot of good conversation in here on non-Christian faiths.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Pershing posted:

I'd say go for it! We've had a lot of good conversation in here on non-Christian faiths.

I don't really have anything to offer. I'm looking for someone who does or did practice to tell me what they got out of it, how they practice with or without a community for it, and if it challenged them to be a more moral/ethical person. Strictly speaking, I'm agnostic, and while I've been looking for something to develop as a moral being and subsume myself in something greater, orthodoxy is a real big hurdle for me. I guess what makes me curious about Taoism is the possibility of a practice that makes few of the kind of big demands of faith the way many religions do.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

BattyKiara posted:

Concepts are without morality they are tools.

But we can raise an idea/concept to ultimacy, universalize it, sacrifice to it, and treat it as if it was the ineffable Real. That’s evil.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Nondenominational Christian checking in! Just recently came back into my faith after what I call my rebellious teenage years of agnosticism. And when I say "came back into", I mean it. Bible study every other night with journaling (and I break my normal rule against writing in books with my KJV that I highlight), wear a cross necklace with the Lord's Prayer on it, and I have a half-hour playlist of Christian music that I listen to every morning after the Morning Mindset devotional podcast.

Won't say I never get down anymore thinking about the past and things that led me out of my "teenage" years into the light, but I'm more peeking into that dim hallway now, rather than living in it, so to speak. Glad I found this thread, I wasn't sure religiousgoons even existed. :v:

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Welcome, friend!

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I don't really have anything to offer. I'm looking for someone who does or did practice to tell me what they got out of it, how they practice with or without a community for it, and if it challenged them to be a more moral/ethical person. Strictly speaking, I'm agnostic, and while I've been looking for something to develop as a moral being and subsume myself in something greater, orthodoxy is a real big hurdle for me. I guess what makes me curious about Taoism is the possibility of a practice that makes few of the kind of big demands of faith the way many religions do.

I don't remember any actual Taoist introducing themselves here but that would be interesting to read for sure. Taoism is the "world religion" I know least about. I think we had like one chapter's worth of information about it in school.

And also welcome to the new person!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Welcome! :)

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

If I may rant a bit in regards to ministry, some parents have asked about wanting programs to return(or to appear) to the church for their children because they want fellowship for their kids and there's a feeling that the church doesn't do that at the moment. I wonder if it's still too much to worry about covid and having a group of people gathering together. The pandemic is a big reason why we haven't had separate childrens/teenager worship services. These particular parents cite other churches having programs at this time and I guess that's a fair argument. I am sorry for the rant, I hope to pray for wisdom in how to talk to head of the youth ministry about implementing programs and patience in dealing with parents asking for things and repentance to devote myself better to ministry.

Have any of you had programs at your church/place of worship during these times?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Our church paused for a few months after the initial outbeak but things have been back to normal for a long time which is probably typical around here. The congregation is some mix of vaccinated/wear a mask/social distance/none of the above.