Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

I always got more of a "What if Blade Runner took place at the Mall of America?" vibe.

Lol, Claire's Boutique and Captain Eo present: Kindergarten Cop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

On that note, was the TR remake any good? I never really got into the first one so it wasn't high on my list fan-wise.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

On that note, was the TR remake any good? I never really got into the first one so it wasn't high on my list fan-wise.

gently caress no. Its so bland and forgettable that its not even mentioned in bad remake lists as its so low down in collective memory.
It's also Lens Flare the movie.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Ehhhhhhh… it felt incredibly video/gamey. The scene when Quaid is running from Lori is almost like a side-scrolling platformer. Any callbacks also had the effect of "I remember that in the original. I should watch the original movie right now…"

The OG Total Recall has a cool look as it was shot in Mexico City & the Brutalist architecture of the area lent itself to the aesthetic we enjoy.

Come to think of it, Robocop was shot in Houston, TX & Veerhoven was also all about the Brutalist architecture there too (see: the OCP building).

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

happyhippy posted:

gently caress no. Its so bland and forgettable that its not even mentioned in bad remake lists as its so low down in collective memory.
It's also Lens Flare the movie.

gently caress you just reminded me that the Robocop remake exists lmao admit it you forgot it existed too

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Thanks for the input all, was gonna mention the Robocop remake! It was fun as a standalone but the satirical Verhoeven touch on the spirit of the original can't be duplicated.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

mind the walrus posted:

gently caress you just reminded me that the Robocop remake exists lmao admit it you forgot it existed too

loving hell, true.

May I present the greatest film of all time:

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
I don't recall (hurr) anything particularly memorable about the design in Total Recall. Seemed to take place in like a big gray airport on Mars? I'm sure that's exactly what they were going for and all, but it surprises me to hear it described as influential.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I liked the body horror in the Robocop remake. There was a moment where the plot of Robocop rooting out police corruption was going to happen, but then it's shifted to going after OCP in general.

Also the movie was PG-13 so :lmao: the movie was neutered from the beginning.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

the satirical Verhoeven touch on the spirit of the original can't be duplicated.
There is a better universe where Spielberg looked at the screenplay for "Ready Player One," called Verhoeven, and we got a loving masterpiece of mean-spiritedness.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Android Apocalypse posted:

I liked the body horror in the Robocop remake. There was a moment where the plot of Robocop rooting out police corruption was going to happen, but then it's shifted to going after OCP in general.

Also the movie was PG-13 so :lmao: the movie was neutered from the beginning.

Yeah it was ultimately doomed BUT it did have some really good moments like the shootout set to Hocus Pocus by Focus and the body horror scene that's the only thing people remember about it

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The thing I remember the most of the Robocop remake was that the cast was way too talented to be stuck doing that movie.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

happyhippy posted:

loving hell, true.

May I present the greatest film of all time:

Cast:
Robocop - played by the Chad Meme Guy

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

mind the walrus posted:

There is a better universe where Spielberg looked at the screenplay for "Ready Player One," called Verhoeven, and we got a loving masterpiece of mean-spiritedness.

Verhoeven is never actually mean spirited. I will die on the hill that he is simply the modern day Jonathan Swift.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

What's the blue thing eating a USMC grunt's pulse rifle?

It's between the T-X and Murphy.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

edogawa rando posted:

What's the blue thing eating a USMC grunt's pulse rifle?

It's between the T-X and Murphy.

Looks like a liquid metal terminator since it's doing a hand spike across into the whatever that short-headed alien is supposed to be.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

happyhippy posted:

Link please.
One of my 'omg Im so going to make this myself but most likely never will' game is a VR of distinctive movie locations.
No enemies to fight, just minimal, its all atmosphere.
And Hadley's Hope pre and post would be one such level. Pre-invasion so you can hear all the beeps and bloops and kids playing etc. Post is you doing it with a tracker and instructions on what to look at.

Here you go, old bean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v215KSbeuBU

Be warned - it is far from polished, dodgy animations, really quite janky and rough in spots, oh and all the dialogue is in Russian. Yet it still manages to do a decent job of delivering the atmosphere regardless.

It doesn't look like there's a tracker so you're just pootling about the sub-level maintenance tunnels making GBS threads yourself waiting for the inevitable. Before viewing this, I always thought I wanted a Newt's Tale type game. Now I'm firmly in the gently caress THAT camp, Isolation was bad enough for my nerves. Give me a Modern Warfare C-130 style game where I can just nuke all the bastards from orbit, yo, I'll fracture my thumb spamming the Fire button.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

BattleMaster posted:

Looks like a liquid metal terminator since it's doing a hand spike across into the whatever that short-headed alien is supposed to be.

Thats an Engineer I think.
Has the nose helmet look

Sentinel Red posted:

Here you go, old bean.

Much appreciated.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Android Apocalypse posted:

Ehhhhhhh… it felt incredibly video/gamey. The scene when Quaid is running from Lori is almost like a side-scrolling platformer. Any callbacks also had the effect of "I remember that in the original. I should watch the original movie right now…"

The OG Total Recall has a cool look as it was shot in Mexico City & the Brutalist architecture of the area lent itself to the aesthetic we enjoy.

Come to think of it, Robocop was shot in Houston, TX & Veerhoven was also all about the Brutalist architecture there too (see: the OCP building).

It's Dallas. :argh:

You can go to downtown Dallas and see pretty much most of the shooting locations. Very little has changed: outside of a parking structure across the street from the Municipal Courts Bldg (i.e. Detroit City Hall) getting turned into a park and the Dallas High School (the Precinct building) getting renovated by an architectural firm, everything looks like it was back in 1987.

For example: this place...

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Thinking about Aliens...

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/697652937446391831/875945964995760139/ALIEN2021001-Preview-3.webp

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007

I'd really rather not think about Marvel's Aliens.

I'll instead think about that Fireteam game coming out soon.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Think about better aliens

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Mom can we stop and get aliens

Mom: we have aliens at home

the aliens at home:

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

The one in the middle looks extra top-heavy.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

zenguitarman posted:

The one in the middle looks extra top-heavy.

It's because the heads and bodies are all composited together traces (and in some cases just cut and pasted) from peoples' fanarts/some art from the oldest Aliens comics it wasn't just Greg Land tracing someone's xenomorph art for the cover.

Just an insanely disgustingly bad product in every way.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Biplane posted:

Mom can we stop and get aliens

Mom: we have aliens at home

the aliens at home:

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

The worst part of the Marvel series is having to look at Larocca's gross potatohead traced over in different poses as the main character. Ugh.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

It's because the heads and bodies are all composited together traces (and in some cases just cut and pasted) from peoples' fanarts/some art from the oldest Aliens comics it wasn't just Greg Land tracing someone's xenomorph art for the cover.

Just an insanely disgustingly bad product in every way.

Not just other art, but straight up tracing those NECA action figures.

I've still been reading Marvel's take on Aliens. It started to get a little better, but not enough to make up for the ugly art and just awful beginning. I'm starting to think they should have just thrown Xenos into the superhero comics. Let some b-lister villains or heroes get Facehugged. Hell, mutants can now be respawned upon death so you could get into some shenanigans with the X-Men.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

LOL, X-Men already had The Brood when they did their crazy Claremont Shi'ar space adventures. Featuring such highlights (going off of my comics-addled memory...) as Wolverine's healing factor rejecting the Brood totally not a facehugger and Psylocke (before she was a ninja) mentally fighting the Brood Queen via her implant (that one I am a bit more vague on, but sounds 'right' in terms of how that character was treated). Can't wait to find the wiki entry on that storyline to see how close/way the gently caress off I was on that. Y'know, since I can't be bothered to get the comics out of the garage and go down that rabbit hole...

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Mutant Headcrab posted:

Not just other art, but straight up tracing those NECA action figures.

I've still been reading Marvel's take on Aliens. It started to get a little better, but not enough to make up for the ugly art and just awful beginning. I'm starting to think they should have just thrown Xenos into the superhero comics. Let some b-lister villains or heroes get Facehugged. Hell, mutants can now be respawned upon death so you could get into some shenanigans with the X-Men.

would a xeno that incubated and sprang forth from storm be able to control the weather? rly makes u think. about aliens.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Robert Facepalmer posted:

LOL, X-Men already had The Brood when they did their crazy Claremont Shi'ar space adventures. Featuring such highlights (going off of my comics-addled memory...) as Wolverine's healing factor rejecting the Brood totally not a facehugger and Psylocke (before she was a ninja) mentally fighting the Brood Queen via her implant (that one I am a bit more vague on, but sounds 'right' in terms of how that character was treated). Can't wait to find the wiki entry on that storyline to see how close/way the gently caress off I was on that. Y'know, since I can't be bothered to get the comics out of the garage and go down that rabbit hole...

Holy poo poo, this just set off a huge nostalgia bomb! As a little tyke the very first issue of an X-Men title I ever got was in a box of random comics from a garage sale in probably 1989. I remember it perfectly-- it was a christmas special issue in which Kitty Pryde was left alone in the mansion for the holidays while everyone else went to get festive. Logan had a japanese girlfriend that Nightcrawler kissed under mistletoe and Logan tried to kill him. Kitty somehow had to contend with an extremely Xenomorph-ish monster/demon thing that killed people cutting down a christmas tree and then found its way to the mansion. It contained a number of references to Alien (which was already by far my favorite movie despite being like 9) and Kitty even killed it by luring it in front of the Blackbird's engines and igniting them. Anybody remember this? I assume it was a Claremont-era issue. I'm gonna start googling but had to get this off my chest first.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Prof. Crocodile posted:

would a xeno that incubated and sprang forth from storm be able to control the weather? rly makes u think. about aliens.

Would a Nightcrawler xeno be able to teleport? Now I'm thinking (about Aliens).

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Oh hell yeah, Uncanny X-Men 143, March 1981

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I would say that a xenomorph with Kitty Pryde's ability to walk through walls is a pretty terrifying premise to build off of

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Why is she freaking out? "Oh no a Xenomorph what will I do oh wait *sinks into the floor and chills there until Wolverine deals with it*"

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Splicer posted:

Why is she freaking out? "Oh no a Xenomorph what will I do oh wait *sinks into the floor and chills there until Wolverine deals with it*"

I think you will find that the creature's spoopy jitsu is far too advanced for 1981 landline tech

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

happyhippy posted:

Link please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v215KSbeuBU

Sorry. Couldn't find one without a narrator

Also, wow, Terry Austin is a great inker.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I just watched Predetor (1987) with my son.

I can sort of see the stupid 'elite in their class' that Alien Covenent had, or at least its roots. So many times they just had to shoot at what was moving even though they didnt see it (im talking when it gets caught in the trap!!)

I honestly dont think Alien or even Aliens has a single moment where ive gone, wow these people really havent had any training in what they are meant to be the best at. They really are good movies. (Predator was fun to watch, and i found out my son knows the look and name of every friggen gun that appeared in the movie, so everytime a gun came on screen i was treated to - thats a .............. And, why dont they just use a sniper rifle...

Is the 2nd and 3rd movie fun to watch too?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Yes and yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Meskhenet posted:

I just watched Predetor (1987) with my son.

I can sort of see the stupid 'elite in their class' that Alien Covenent had, or at least its roots. So many times they just had to shoot at what was moving even though they didnt see it (im talking when it gets caught in the trap!!)

I honestly dont think Alien or even Aliens has a single moment where ive gone, wow these people really havent had any training in what they are meant to be the best at. They really are good movies. (Predator was fun to watch, and i found out my son knows the look and name of every friggen gun that appeared in the movie, so everytime a gun came on screen i was treated to - thats a .............. And, why dont they just use a sniper rifle...

Is the 2nd and 3rd movie fun to watch too?

The second one owns and is even better than the original in some ways. The third one (Predators) is bad imo but not like horrible or whatever it's just sort of there, will definitely be enjoyable to watch once. Then the fourth one is just irredeemable poo poo.