Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dren posted:

If the goal is to get the plague spreaders to quit plague spreading then tell me, how effective has making jokes about them been at doing that?

I'm not saying you need to do outreach or that it would even work. What I'm saying is making these sorts of jokes is purely harmful to both sides of the discourse.

There is literally nothing that you or I can do or say to make the plague spreaders stop plague spreading

discourse lol yeah I'm sure that the lady wearing a big rubber dick on her face while shouting about how she refuses to wear a face diaper just hasn't heard the right persuasive argument

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

QuarkJets posted:

There is literally nothing that you or I can do or say to make the plague spreaders stop plague spreading

discourse lol yeah I'm sure that the lady wearing a big rubber dick on her face while shouting about how she refuses to wear a face diaper just hasn't heard the right persuasive argument

I just KNOW that with my SUPERIOR brain I can turn them, I know it!

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

QuarkJets posted:

Do you have a theory as to why the US is currently averaging half a million new vaccinations per day?

All of those people could have gone months ago. Something changed their mind.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

Marmaduke! posted:

You just know people like this are all for (poor, black) people having to show photo ID to vote

My response should be "she's Canadian fool! Not relevant." But this ignorant cow posts poo poo about Biden having dementia and the usual Trump fellating.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

ShadowHawk posted:

Do you have a theory as to why the US is currently averaging half a million new vaccinations per day?

Some in the vaccine hesitant crowd have been scared into compliance because of Delta. The diehards won't change their views until their kids start dying.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/dwallacewells/status/1425776372065132544?s=20

Beccara
Feb 3, 2005
https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1425901942178467842

Here we go again!

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
https://twitter.com/ashtonpittman/status/1425949682782588931

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

GRECOROMANGRABASS posted:

Weird! I'm obviously mistaken; I will chalk that up to the severe head injury I sustained in 2019. I have memories of vials being split five ways after fractional doses being determined sufficient against the original version of covid-19, but my brain is pulling those memories from a time where I was really out of it. Thanks for the correction, and apologies for presenting incorrect data as fact.

Each vial had five doses, but some vaccinators were able to pull out a sixth.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

trying to read about science and statistics via twitter posts is just awful. that "the medium is the message" guy really had a point.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

GRECOROMANGRABASS posted:

Weird! I'm obviously mistaken; I will chalk that up to the severe head injury I sustained in 2019. I have memories of vials being split five ways after fractional doses being determined sufficient against the original version of covid-19, but my brain is pulling those memories from a time where I was really out of it. Thanks for the correction, and apologies for presenting incorrect data as fact.

The vials has five doses then one for margin of error, pretty quickly that changed to “there are five doses if you eyeball filling the syringes but six if you use the exact amount kind” and very few places were doing the old school measuring by eye way so basically everywhere could use all six doses. But it’s six real doses.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Getting six doses out also requires low-dead-space syringes that not every facility had access to.

But Pfizer got what they wanted and the federal government counted each vial as six doses delivered toward contract performance.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ShadowHawk posted:

Someone could poll them and get some actual answers, rather than having us throwing out wild unsubstantiated guesses. I don't see any value in posting "a theory" since it'd just be people shouting their pre-conceived notions about the vaxx hesitant

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I don’t know how many Pfizer patients actually were infected in absolute terms, I just skimmed the abstract, but you probably caught on to the wide confidence interval:

If other similar studies of efficacy vs Delta are anything to go by, the true number will be somewhere in the 60% range which means this study doesn’t even have to be wrong, it agrees with them.

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

Yeah, my statistics knowledge is nowhere near enough to comment on anything with confidence, but I did notice the large CI range. That, combined with the fact that the CI range for hospitalization was even larger (24-93.9%) and no one cared about that, gave me a bit of hope that it's not a major case of Pfizer losing effectiveness.

TheGreyGhost posted:

The CIs on all of this stuff should really be telling that no one knows anything right now. NEJM's estimates were far more reassuring. If you ignore the data pre mass vaccination, I think the estimate is that 2-5% of new cases are breakthroughs right now, with the notes that A. PCR-Positive just means "this thing is here" and B. You've still drastically improved your likely outcomes even if you're a symptomatic breakthrough. At the end of the day, the thing that matters the most is that vaccination is overwhelmingly likely to keep you alive and out of the hospital, and that hasn't changed. At the same time, yeah, we're probably missing a shitload of cases, but there's a serious question as to whether they're diagnostically relevant so long as we don't understand transmission super well and don't understand like 800 other parameters here.

To be honest even if the CDC was still collating data on all known breakthrough cases and updating comparative results week by week I'm not sure those nation-wide numbers would be super useful for anyone since ever state in the US seems to be enforcing wildly different levels of restrictions and NPIs and also has wildly different levels of vaccinated populations, so every state is pretty much like an entirely separate country as far as the stats are concerned. It's probably way way more useful to concentrate on your state's own breakthrough data and the test positivity levels in individual counties to figure out how much poo poo you're in right now. There's no single study about breakthrough rates that's applicable to every state/county

cardedagain
Aug 28, 2006

Pearl River is on the MS Gulf Coast.

i am somewhat surprised that WLOX and WXXV, the two news stations in that area, aren't covering this story.

(they did cover some other school quarantines from other nearby counties in the last 48 hours; just not this one.)

the posted tweet article comes from Mississippi Free Press, who I only heard of today; which kinda sucks because it "seems" like they do decent journalism.

probably some sort of partisan bias going on.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ShadowHawk posted:

Per the KFF's polling, most of those people live in poor neighborhoods far from any of the original vaccination center and could not easily get vaccinated months ago. Months ago access was extremely good for middle and upper class white people who can take time off, and pretty mixed for everyone else. Of the people left, most plan to get it soon, a small and shrinking group of hesitants are getting swayed every day, and a bunch of conspiracy theorists simply refuse.

E: In case it's unclear, the "hesitants" are not the ones screaming in public about face diapers. These literal die-hards completely reject vaccination because they think it's made from baby parts or puts a microchip in you. They are not going to be swayed by yet another calm discussion or infographic

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Aug 13, 2021

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

If the US is pushing this story again then the amount of covid cases we are seeing now are prolly just the beginning.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Good news!! Nebraska solved covid, they've barely got any case at all now!!!

They shut down their covid reporting dashboard at the end of June and they currently don't report cases in counties with less than 20,000 for "privacy" reasons, which is 76 of their 93 counties. Article.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They shut down their covid reporting dashboard at the end of June and they currently don't report cases in counties with less than 20,000 for "privacy" reasons, which is 76 of their 93 counties. Article.

The commitment to ignoring reality amazes me.

If anyone saw Avenue 5 when it aired last year, I've been thinking a lot about this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skXaeucDYHo
(slight spoiler for one episode).

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Hey I thought calling masks "face diapers" was just a euphemism, wtf is even happening

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1425770301883879430

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

If the US is pushing this story again then the amount of covid cases we are seeing now are prolly just the beginning.

It was probably a lab leak due to being reckless. I was a strong believer that it was during specimen collection (i.e. they were lazy with their PPE going into bat caves), but if they did have a lab move that's a strong vector too.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Redgrendel2001 posted:

It was probably a lab leak due to being reckless. I was a strong believer that it was during specimen collection (i.e. they were lazy with their PPE going into bat caves), but if they did have a lab move that's a strong vector too.

If it is a lab leak than most of the western world is at fault for funding it: https://www.yahoo.com/now/fauci-praises-wuhan-scientists-defends-230400791.html

It’s also not like the US has had a great track record with lab leaks (actually right before the time covid started)

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/05/health/germs-fort-detrick-biohazard.html

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

If it is a lab leak than most of the western world is at fault for funding it: https://www.yahoo.com/now/fauci-praises-wuhan-scientists-defends-230400791.html

It’s also not like the US has had a great track record with lab leaks (actually right before the time covid started)

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/05/health/germs-fort-detrick-biohazard.html

Our funding was to stop them from being reckless and we yanked it because of those issues.

We've also had a lot of lab leaks, but none that did this poo poo.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Would it be possible to sue the state or something if you don't want to send your kid to school unvaccinated? Due to the risk, where they're forcing people to go back without masks

Like sue them to force them to provide a vaccine for your kid before they go back to school

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Redgrendel2001 posted:

The WHO report from the Wuhan lab specifically mentioned inadequate PPE use for the specimens they were studying.

:shrug:

It’s not an impossible thing but it also doesn’t really matter because it won’t change a drat thing.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Holy gently caress the change from July 2021 to August 2021 in this gif

https://twitter.com/CDCgov/status/1425819727914356744

:eyepop:

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

remigious posted:

Yeah, and it’s possible he may have some protection from antibodies passed to him via breast milk, but there’s not a ton of research on it.

If I understand antibodies correctly, an infant who gets antibodies from breast milk will be protected only as long as it's breastfeeding. Those antibodies won't stick around, so as soon as the breastfeeding stops, the immunity will wane pretty quickly.

I could be wrong though, in which case I'm sure someone will correct me.

cardedagain
Aug 28, 2006

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Would it be possible to sue the state or something if you don't want to send your kid to school unvaccinated? Due to the risk, where they're forcing people to go back without masks

Like sue them to force them to provide a vaccine for your kid before they go back to school

are some schools mandating unmasked attendance?

i didn't think that was going on here.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/karenvaites/status/1425521133181362186

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://twitter.com/kirstie_talbot/status/1425903565629952005

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

lol they used the mumps emoji

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Hey! That's the "Doc, I have an abscess on my gum" emoji, isn't it? :shobon:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
You idiots, that's the "Hey don't forget to brush your teeth" emoji.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

How are we so loving incompetent

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
This is like a grimdark reboot of the tidepods challenge.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

I have absolutely no way to tell whether this is real or satire.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

tagesschau posted:

I have absolutely no way to tell whether this is real or satire.

Satire no longer exists. It's just someone giving a real opinion of somebody somewhere.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

What the gently caress is the point of making an entire county for a population of less than 500 people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

kazil posted:

What the gently caress is the point of making an entire county for a population of less than 500 people?

You don't 'make' counties, they just sorta happen.

EDIT: the details escape me at the moment, but there's a county somewhere in Nevada with no people. As a corollary, you can murder someone there with no consequences, because the law states that you have to be tried by a jury of people living in that county, which is impossible.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 13, 2021