Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Lotta evidence Pollievre will toss his hat in the ring. C'mon Skippy, do it you piece of poo poo

Do you think the CPC believe they can win without the west, or do they believe Albertans will vote for a man named Poilievre?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Poilievre versus Rempel in the cage match of ghr century.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Wait, what if we made it an actual cage match?

Also, don't unlock the cage when one of them wins.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Why wouldn't Albertans vote for good ol' Petey Polliver?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Like two peas in a pod, or piss in a puddle.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lmao. I never noticed they had the same glasses before.

Pierre is that guy who tries to dress up like the professor

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Aug 13, 2021

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

This guy absolutely reminds the prof they forgot to assign homework.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

He looks like an intellectual who has never had an idea.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Bleck posted:

This happened in my city today, again, for literally no reason.

Abolish the cops.

This one isn't really the cops though, I'm not sure what city you're in but it's never the cops taking rogue actions on stuff like this, it's directed from city government. Replace cops with something else and you still have council / the mayor directing your new special awesome "not the police" to evict homeless people.

By all means there's a bunch of horrible poo poo the cops do all on their own though, so it's not like this is an argument against defund / abolish / whatever.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

He looks like a background character who gets very hurt in a James Bond movie but not killed

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014

Starks posted:

Kinda feel like you're arguing against your earlier posts here. A more moderate slogan isn't direct action.

Can you give any direct examples of the kind of strategy you would want to see that isn't "hard on the police"?

My point is that there is no thought given to any directed action or program. Many of the recent movements have no aim whatsoever. I don't really care if you want to act through politics or direct action but you still have to have goals in the short and medium term right? Just jumping to "Abolish the Police!" was never feasible in that timeframe.

As to the poster above who accused me of wailing on SJW's or whatever, my critique of that kind of politics is that they often end up leading to an idealisation of minorities that allows them to ignore the realities of that community. People don't really get it when I tell them that Muslim and Black Canadians (on the whole) are quite socially conservative. Like it or not, most people in these communities don't want to abolish the police and adopt aspects such as Canadian Nationalism more than is commonly discussed.

Apologies as I'm a pretty bad writer but I hope that clarifies things slightly.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
*while killing a minority* "No, trust me, they want this!"

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

ToxicAcne posted:

My point is that there is no thought given to any directed action or program. Many of the recent movements have no aim whatsoever. I don't really care if you want to act through politics or direct action but you still have to have goals in the short and medium term right? Just jumping to "Abolish the Police!" was never feasible in that timeframe.

As to the poster above who accused me of wailing on SJW's or whatever, my critique of that kind of politics is that they often end up leading to an idealisation of minorities that allows them to ignore the realities of that community. People don't really get it when I tell them that Muslim and Black Canadians (on the whole) are quite socially conservative. Like it or not, most people in these communities don't want to abolish the police and adopt aspects such as Canadian Nationalism more than is commonly discussed.

I still think your thoughts are bit incoherent here.

I won't deny that there's probably some wackos on twitter or tumblr or whatever that want to completely abolish the police in its entirety but it sounds more like you've fallen victim to disinformation on what the goals actually are.
First I think I've definitely seen the phrase "abolish the police" but the actual wording that is the driving force is "defund the police".

Still a bit brief but you can't really chant "disarm and disband the majority of police units except for violent crime response and redirect their funding to civilian social wellness treatment and also ACAB"
But also we should completely abolish the RCMP at least.

So harping on lack of aim is a bit weird when I think there are very clear aims indeed.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

ToxicAcne posted:

What are SJW politics in your mind and do they exist in reality or just on twitter

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

ToxicAcne posted:

I understand what you're saying, and it's something I see often, the idea that the left needs to be more "strategic". I just notice that it rarely comes with an explanation of what that would look like exactly, and I think if you tried to sit down and tease that out you would come up with something that has already been tried, and failed. We didn't just jump straight to Abolish the Police, this is after decades of attempts at incremental reform during my lifetime alone. It turns out the police are incredibly good at adapting to stuff like that and just using it to increase their own budgets.

I don't think most people want to abolish the police, but I also don't think that's a real obstacle in reducing their funding. Did most conservatives want to abolish all government during the libertarian waves of the 00s/early 10s? Of course not, but that didn't stop tea party types from influencing government policy and getting taxes lowered. That movement was also decentralized and had conflicting messages and goals within it (most political movements do once they reach a certain size!). In order to win a compromise, you sometimes have to start from a position that's more extreme than what you really think is feasible. Art of the Deal baby.

It's one thing to argue that DtP didn't achieve its goals, but you've failed to show how an alternative, more moderate approach would've been more successful in the face of an institution as powerful as the police. If anything, I think the opposite is true, and "Defund" should've never been watered down.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Wistful of Dollars posted:

He looks like an intellectual who has never had an idea.

As far as I can tell, he's basically never had a real job (i.e., outside politics), so it checks out.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well now cases in Ontario are well and truly jumping back up. Gonna be really awkward for Dr. Moore on Tuesday after this week he said there was no cause for alarm.

I don't loving get it with the antivaxxers. We've got enough doses for every eligible adult sitting in storage right now and the idiots just won't get their shots and we'll peter out below 80% and all get sick from a new chimera virus.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Well now cases in Ontario are well and truly jumping back up. Gonna be really awkward for Dr. Moore on Tuesday after this week he said there was no cause for alarm.

I don't loving get it with the antivaxxers. We've got enough doses for every eligible adult sitting in storage right now and the idiots just won't get their shots and we'll peter out below 80% and all get sick from a new chimera virus.

It's depressing looking at just how huge a percentage of case are in the unvaccinated (especially when you take into account the percentage of the population who are unvaxxed). I can't help but wonder where we'd be now if that 20% of the population that are idiots just got their drat shots.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Apparently 68 of today’s cases were under the age of 12. Gonna be fun when school starts again.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

He will not even speak about case numbers now. They will only speak about hospitalization and death.

They will send our kids off to die in a month

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

https://twitter.com/celliottability/status/1426186774074822657

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Hinshaw and Legrange (Education minister) press conference is done, Kenney and Shandro (Health Minister) nowhere to be found.

Testing is continuing for 6 weeks, masking on public transportation and the other masking requirements that were expected to end august 16th are also extended.

Legrange is not mandating poo poo for school boards and was basically saying students should look forward to a normal school year, school boards are of course responsible for their own measures because she's a coward.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Sounds like Interior Health in BC is totally overwhelmed by their antivaxer patients and will be sending the overflow to Victoria. It's really getting hosed out there.

I'm fine with them building little remote anti-vaxxer hospital camps where they can enjoy their choice of murder/suicide away from the rest of us.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
When CTVNews.ca asked Canadians who have not been vaccinated against COVID-19 to share their reasons why, many cited concerns about the vaccines' development, potential side-effects, and pre-existing health concerns as reasons for their hesitancy.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coron...ccine-1.5545896

CTV got people to write in with their reasons for not getting vaccinated.

Considering MRNA vaccines have been studied and in development since the 90s the people who think these vaccines were rushed seem especially dumb to me.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Every answer is an expression of profound ignorance and selfishness.

CTVs only response in the article should have been “they may not all be anti vaxxers, but frankly we don’t give a drat”

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

When CTVNews.ca asked Canadians who have not been vaccinated against COVID-19 to share their reasons why, many cited concerns about the vaccines' development, potential side-effects, and pre-existing health concerns as reasons for their hesitancy.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coron...ccine-1.5545896

CTV got people to write in with their reasons for not getting vaccinated.

Considering MRNA vaccines have been studied and in development since the 90s the people who think these vaccines were rushed seem especially dumb to me.

A lot of people don't realize just how much ground work from the SARS and MERS vaccine attempts over the last decade went into these ones. They weren't starting from scratch with COVID, the framework for the vaccine was already there.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-03626-1

But, based on my experiences trying to convince my one vaccine hesitant friend I'm not sure there's anything that can be done to combat the social media brainworms. loving Joe Rogan should be tried at The Hague for the gross disinformation he's been putting out. He's legit killed people with it.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 13, 2021

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Moderna also produced a highly effective Zika mRNA vaccine around early 2019, which formed the basis of their COVID vaccine research.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I believe drunk driving is okay because the science isn't really settled.

CTV: :hmmyes:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I shouldn't have to have a driver's license to drive, it infringes upon my freedoms. If you want to stay safe, you can always just protect yourself by being more cautious or staying off the road. We can't live in fear of crashes forever, so it should be okay for people to take no precautions if they don't want to.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Early on in the pandemic I remember CNN, CBC, etc. talking about how mRNA vaccines were brand new and had never been in widespread use so it's easy to see how people misunderstood this and/or took it out of context.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

I shouldn't have to have a driver's license to drive, it infringes upon my freedoms. If you want to stay safe, you can always just protect yourself by being more cautious or staying off the road. We can't live in fear of crashes forever, so it should be okay for people to take no precautions if they don't want to.

e: big and lo res looks bad

hot cocoa on the couch fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 13, 2021

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

McGavin posted:

Moderna also produced a highly effective Zika mRNA vaccine around early 2019, which formed the basis of their COVID vaccine research.

This is a great example of why vaccine "education" is a waste of time. To you and me this is an argument for the COVID vaccine, but to a skeptic they see a vaccine that's been in development for longer than the COVID one and still isn't approved. So many attempts at getting these people to see the light backfire because of the specific wording, or the person saying it (Fauci), or because the message is too elitist, etc. You never know how a person is going to react to information in today's age. No one needed to be convinced about the TB or polio vaccine because we didn't give them a chance, just make that poo poo mandatory and move on instead of wasting time and money on information campaigns that don't work.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Oxyclean posted:

It’s actually worse than this because at least car crashes aren’t contagious.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Kandahar City just fell to the Taliban

cool and good

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Entropic posted:

It’s actually worse than this because at least car crashes aren’t contagious.

What do you think a pileup is

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Its amazing, the amount of money and blood the west spent on trying to nation-build or whatever we call it these days totally undone nearly instantly the moment we pull out. The country will probably be more united than ever under the new government too after nearly a generation of violence and war crimes. Great work Canada, really joined the right side of history on this one.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
re cop chat its insane how much money they make. Some rear end in a top hat cop in a junior position that was in the news for doing a racism was making 150k+ a year or something ridiculous

e:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/peel-police-racist-trlaja-verdict-1.5928255

quote:

Trlaja, he added, has been very remorseful for his actions, apologizing to the family and pleading guilty, indicating he understands his behaviour was inappropriate.
Twenty days without pay amounts to a loss hit of nearly $9,000 in salary, said Cardi, though he added he knows trust cannot be bought back.

mila kunis fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Aug 13, 2021

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

e: big and lo res looks bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

MA-Horus posted:

Kandahar City just fell to the Taliban

cool and good

That was always going to happen. It also isn’t a reason to occupy a country even if it’s terrible.