Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
May Ryland, but of course

302 is the area code for Dee La Ware, just to the east of Marr Island

Marmaduke! fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Aug 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

u brexit ukip it posted:

How many ways are there to say it?

Say it like Marilyn.

As in Bawmoar, Marilyn.

*rewatching the wire currently

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
M'ryland *tips fedora*

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Ok, Marr-lan?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
You say it like the gently caress You, Baltimore guy.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Isn't this just likely to blow the back to the Lama's skull off?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

So the Plymouth guy turned out to be a Trump supporting incel. Oh well.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
It's for carrying, not shooting.

Mountain forces of many nations still use pack animals to carry supplies in remote areas.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Necrothatcher posted:

It was more of a severe mental health spiral that was ignored by the MH professionals, despite the dad's best efforts. And yes, the guy was also a trump supporting incel.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Tommy Tugger spent last night having a meltdown that his overseas adventurism is over.
https://twitter.com/TomTugendhat/status/1425919651469565955

China is able to impose their hardline imperialism by investing money with strings attached rather than putting boots on the ground, and it's deeply unfair that the childlike lesser races prefer one over the other in the manner that a toddler prefers ice cream to asparagus, where the responsible thing to do as a global parent is just hurl asparagus at everyone while shouting about how you're still relevant.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Necrothatcher posted:

knew he was a lone wolf of a quiet gardener as soon as the cops uttered the words "not believed to be terrorism related" ie the suspect was analysed against a dulux colour chart and passed

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

:siren: STOP THE PRESSES :siren:

This apparently exists now....

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

Tommy Tugger spent last night having a meltdown that his overseas adventurism is over.
https://twitter.com/TomTugendhat/status/1425919651469565955

China is able to impose their hardline imperialism by investing money with strings attached rather than putting boots on the ground, and it's deeply unfair that the childlike lesser races prefer one over the other in the manner that a toddler prefers ice cream to asparagus, where the responsible thing to do as a global parent is just hurl asparagus at everyone while shouting about how you're still relevant.

Granted, it would be an exemplar of the sunk cost fallacy if the USA/UK military had stayed just because they'd spent so much money and so many lives on trying to turn things around, but bugging out the way they did does look like a pretty abysmal decision.
I don't think it's unreasonable to complain about that, but he should at least also be complaining about the original decision to invade a country that's historically been a lovely country to try to invade.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

Hes a victim. The real culprit was radical feminism and unisex toilets that he felt compelled to rebel against.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

kingturnip posted:

I don't think it's unreasonable to complain about that, but he should at least also be complaining about the original decision to invade a country that's historically been a lovely country to try to invade.
Yeah, but it takes some huge willing blinders to claim that we've been there 20 years out of the goodness of our hearts to prevent world terrorism given the number of times in the past two decades that the UK/USA has just supported or increased world terrorism when it's convenient, and then to on top of that claim that China is a specific threat purely because ungrateful countries prefer energy and infrastructure investment to military intervention, rather than perhaps an indication that we should have used the 20 years to do some of that maybe, takes some very special imperialism brains.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The UK and USA can't even comprehend that people like when you build infrastructure in their own country, let alone their would-be overseas conquests.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

fuctifino posted:

Sudden memories of a million hack standup routines about white dogshit in the 70s.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
How did that dingbat get a gun, I thought they were supposed to be hard to get.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

DesperateDan posted:

knew he was a lone wolf of a quiet gardener
you know who ELSE was a quiet gardener??

makes u think

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

you know who ELSE was a quiet gardener??

makes u think

Corbyn, Sam Gamgee?

Can confirm both gently caress.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I for one am quite happy that the UK has achieve absolutely nothing whatsoever with its 20 years war.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Maybe the real Afghanistan was the paramilitary groups we made along the way.

keep punching joe posted:

Speculating but he seemed like a terminally online incel who tried to get involved in a bunch of alt-right militia circles, so off the internet?

It's an open secret that we've been doing gently caress all checks of anything smaller than an Atlas missile coming across the borders for the past 18 months, so you can make things as hard as you want if you're not going to bother ever enforcing them and it doesn't really matter.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

The UKMTs very own pod embarked on one of our moat hideous ventures yet - we read all 300+ pages of JessFlips latest book, together with Sinan Kose.

https://twitter.com/PraxisCast/status/1425782627617935366?s=19

These readings are performed by professionals under supervised conditions, don't try to do this at home.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

A shotgun certificate is somewhere between a passport and a driving license in terms of difficulty to obtain; possibly also a family member's gun.

The gun laws in this country are insanely stupid but it's not really the discussion to be having right now.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Guavanaut posted:

Maybe the real Afghanistan was the paramilitary groups we made along the way.

Speculating but he seemed like a terminally online incel who tried to get involved in a bunch of alt-right militia circles, so off the internet?

It's an open secret that we've been doing gently caress all checks of anything smaller than an Atlas missile coming across the borders for the past 18 months, so you can make things as hard as you want if you're not going to bother ever enforcing them and it doesn't really matter.

or more likely he filled in a police form, paid 80quid waited a few weeks and then bought one for 50 quid from a licensed gun dealer in a shop on the high street.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Corbyn, Sam Gamgee?

Can confirm both gently caress.

:stare:

I didn't even know Samwise and Corbyn knew each other...

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

He seems to have been showing off his M1 Garand on his YouTube channel, so I guess it was a military history thing?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Rustybear posted:

or more likely he filled in a police form, paid 80quid waited a few weeks and then bought one for 50 quid from a licensed gun dealer in a shop on the high street.
Which then puts you on a list where, after the Cumbria shootings, the police are supposed to at least check in on you if you're having an obvious and protracted mental health crisis.

Again that's one of those things where if nobody can be bothered it doesn't work.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am fairly sure an actual M1 would be very illegal.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

OwlFancier posted:

depends, if it had been modified in certain ways it would be legal.

you can buy an AK47 in the UK legally provided it was straight pull etc.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

In the past it was relatively simple to get hold of deactivated rifles and handguns and then reactivate them with a minimum of metalwork knowledge (the last revision to the Firearms Act made this rather harder but there's still a lot of them about) - the sticking point was *supposed* to be it was basically impossible to get ammunition for them, but as has been said Brexit (and the prior redeployment of UKBF to stopping brown people rather than looking in containers) has made it a shitload simpler to get all sorts of contraband into the country.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Not really, you just fill out some forms and pay a small fee, I believe. I think you have to also demonstrate you can lock it up somewhere, and there's a waiting period.

There are a little under 600,000 people allowed to own firearms in the UK.

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008

Junior G-man posted:

The UKMTs very own pod embarked on one of our moat hideous ventures yet - we read all 300+ pages of JessFlips latest book, together with Sinan Kose.

https://twitter.com/PraxisCast/status/1425782627617935366?s=19

These readings are performed by professionals under supervised conditions, don't try to do this at home.

There was something deeply depressing from that "book". What a rotten ideology.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

fuctifino posted:

They made a Flake bar out of Caramac?

gently caress.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Gort posted:

Not really, you just fill out some forms and pay a small fee, I believe. I think you have to also demonstrate you can lock it up somewhere, and there's a waiting period.

There are a little under 600,000 people allowed to own firearms in the UK.

people in the uk always seem to radically over-estimate how hard it is to buy a gun since 1997. you don't have to pass a battery of psychological tests with a panel of psychiatrists. it's a vaguely disinterested police officer checking where they'll be stored and whether you've thought about doing a mass killing lately.

what keeps us generally safe from these types of tragedies is (what's left of) our social security, health service and societal cohesion.

Oct 4, 2005

fuctifino posted:

It was more of a severe mental health spiral that was ignored by the MH professionals, despite the dad's best efforts. And yes, the guy was also a trump supporting incel.

People will run with "trump supporting incel" and that will be the end of it. No additional funding for mental health services, if there is an investigation into failures in the system it will quietly be shelved 6 months later.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I knew a guy who got rejected because the filth weren't satisfied that he had a valid use for it (he did, but was also a working class council house resident so :siren:). I've also heard people mention cops physically coming round to inspect their gun cabinets.

Like there's definitely some sort of checks that this guy should not have passed, as anyone with a web browser & his real name could work out in like 3 minutes, but I think it's pretty much filth discretion so even if they bothered they'd probably just be like "oh cool he loves fascists & hates women yeh he's def the right sort"

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Jedit posted:

They made a Flake bar out of Caramac?

gently caress.

I need one of these quite badly. Wonder if the little shop will get them in. He got the crispy Galaxy bars quite early on.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Which then puts you on a list where, after the Cumbria shootings, the police are supposed to at least check in on you if you're having an obvious and protracted mental health crisis.
The criminalisation of mental illness in this country is so cool, lets defund more centres to pay for bigger sticks for the plod to hit people with when they have a breakdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's more that if someone does have a bunch of firearms it's sometimes preferable to keep them elsewhere for a few days than to not do that, while neither criminalizing nor sectioning the person.

Red flag laws aren't the stupidest idea if restricted to cases where repeat concerns have been raised by family and the person has been posting a lot about how they're going to murder a bunch of people, but they do need to be paired with an actual functioning mental health system to be anything other than a bandaid.