Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Is this an actual open-rear end open beta that starts tomorrow? Like a demo? There's no chance I spend more than $20 on a video game in 2021 wtf are they even thinking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019

treat posted:

Is this an actual open-rear end open beta that starts tomorrow? Like a demo? There's no chance I spend more than $20 on a video game in 2021 wtf are they even thinking

here you go brosky
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1385510/Back4Blood_Open_Beta/

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It's a shame about the state of the game, I think they used all their creativity creating the name for the game because it's a masterstroke.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Tried to install, got a non-descriptive error. Tried again an hour later, maintenance issues. Another hour later, CTD after the initial splash screens.

Real good, WB publishing gems as ever, I see. :rolleyes:

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Works fine now, feels like a bonafide successor to L4D2. I really like the randomized elements of it.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

rap music posted:

Works fine now, feels like a bonafide successor to L4D2. I really like the randomized elements of it.

I dunno I'm having trouble getting into it, it feels really bland to play. They need to work on the guns, they're all kind of samey.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

the versus mode seems extremely broken, we only played one round but you can choose which infected you start as so we all picked big arm man and spawned on top of them and the survivors had absolutely no chance

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

That is the one thing i like as an addition to the old Versus formula! Being able to power up the special infected in various ways and the horde as well. I just wish the game made it more obvious it's a team based pooling of resources. You will occasionally see "player spent X amount of *ability* but that doesn't really tell you anything unless you go digging in the menu or happen to see an upgrade happen live in front of you"

When will these games get desperate enough to let you play as a regular rear end common infected in the horde yet anyway? It's bound to happen eventually :colbert: Then again the hordes aren't particularly big in this title so perhaps it's for the best.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Grapplejack posted:

I dunno I'm having trouble getting into it, it feels really bland to play. They need to work on the guns, they're all kind of samey.

I can agree to that, have rolled with the M4, SCAR, and RPK and couldn't really tell the difference

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

trying to get into a PC game which is nigh impossible right now, mainly because I refuse to try it again on PS4. Holy gently caress it runs and looks like dogshit on last gen base ps4, cannot see a drat thing.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Good ol' EAC is just stopping me from even being able to load the game by throwing an 'Unknown file version' error even after multiple reinstalls. This didn't happen last week so it's pretty disheartening.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
My friend couldn't load into any games when he downloaded it and the game we played without him the zombies warped all over the place.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Can't get a game, I'll try tomorrow I guess.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I've been watching a tryhard streamer group with juiced-out cards try and play Nightmare mode and it's been 5 hours and they still can't beat the second stage of Act 1

Something just went absolutely wrong in the process of designing this game

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I've been watching a tryhard streamer group with juiced-out cards try and play Nightmare mode and it's been 5 hours and they still can't beat the second stage of Act 1

Something just went absolutely wrong in the process of designing this game

I wonder if the devs will release a stream of them doing it, so we can see what's what.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The thing that gets me is that like, 90% of the game seems like it's meant to be very similarly paced to L4D - similar level length, semi-randomized elements such as challenge cards for challenge variation and weapon selection, permanent upgrades and currency farming. So much of it seems like it's supposed to be a quick and casual session-based game sort of like Hades. Like, it's even got a quickplay drop-in functionality. But, then you look at the massive difficulty spikes and I'm just like, how does this fit in with the rest of the design choices? Is the game supposed to be one where you spend several hours grinding out a level? You're not earning upgrade currency for a losing attempt. L4D absolutely was not a hardcore squad-based tactical shooter, and if that's what this game wants to be that's fine, but I don't think they made it this way on purpose

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

You're not earning upgrade currency for a losing attempt.

Wait, I very deliberately abaddoned a run and still saw my supplies go up. Is that because I'd done one or more levels before quiting?

Edit: Who else here wanted to love GTFO and just could. not. get a group of middle aged friends to put up with that punishing design and brick wall difficulty? Because that's me and my friends and I hope we're not seeing the same thing here.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Aug 13, 2021

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The pacing of the average level seems a bit off, it's largely just shooting straggler zombies in narrow corridors and occasionally running backwards as a big guy shows up so you can magdump them and then continue where you left off.

There are no random hordes to get you to pick up the pace, the ogre you just stand in a doorway and magdump his legs and arms with no real danger compared to a l4d tank, friend was spectating and just commenting on how dull it seemed to pick off zombies one at a time and slowly advance forward.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I hate the specials, they've got way too much HP.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I played this with 3 of my friends tonight and the pacing is definitely a big issue. Specials just kinda wandering around and barely stand out from the other zombies in most cases. It's neat being able to customize your guns to your liking, but the cards are confusing and breaks up the flow between acts real bad. Great for gamepass but lmao at asking $60 for it. It's a real shame, we were looking forward to this so much. :-\

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

Edit: Who else here wanted to love GTFO and just could. not. get a group of middle aged friends to put up with that punishing design and brick wall difficulty? Because that's me and my friends and I hope we're not seeing the same thing here.

GTFO is the hardest game I've ever played, it's not just that your friends are too old. It's not even like the masochistic platformers that ask you to get really really good at like a couple skills and memorize the levels down to the smallest detail, there's so much going on, everything changes just enough that you can't memorize it and approach it better, and the margin of error is miniscule.

I don't think this game is anywhere near that hard, but I haven't tried harder difficulties.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Grondoth posted:

GTFO is the hardest game I've ever played, it's not just that your friends are too old. It's not even like the masochistic platformers that ask you to get really really good at like a couple skills and memorize the levels down to the smallest detail, there's so much going on, everything changes just enough that you can't memorize it and approach it better, and the margin of error is miniscule.

I don't think this game is anywhere near that hard, but I haven't tried harder difficulties.

GTFO is cool as gently caress but it expects a LOT out of you, and it expects you and your group to take it super seriously, and if you don't it's going to punish the gently caress out of you. Which is cool, I'm glad it exists, but i'm not who the game is for lmao

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Something I always thought that was great about L4D/L4D2 was I guess probably more of a source engine thing than anything but the shooting always felt so kinetic based on how the zombies would react to getting shot. We played L4D2 very recently and the way zombies chunk apart and get knocked off balance when getting shot still holds up and puts what I saw from this brand new game to shame.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Well I certainly have thoughts on this game, given my several thousand l4d1/2 hours over however many years.

I got like one random PC guy to join my campaign game that had bots, then he left and two trash playstation guys joined and got me killed so I abandoned the thing, bit I can't start a single player campaign on my lonesome after the initial mission to do that? At least it just sits there looking for players. Maybe I'm misunderstanding it, but I don't think so.

I can't say I'm pleased with the versus setup mimicking the worst version of MP from l4d, but if the matchmaking wasn't dogshit maybe I'd be more positive. I joined multiple games where is 1v4 or 0v whatever, spawn timers don't reduce, and you don't get bots so it doesn't really matter in the end. Who decided that was okay? And the specials upgrades? You can make a defacto spitter with 150 points, it rapid fires, and you can shoot across any of the maps from cover. Jfc, it doesn't even count player kills correctly, I ended one round with like 1900 player kills because each tick counted. And I can't be completely sure but I'm pretty sure it doesn't respawn weapons between resets. Going second I'd find like 4 items across the entire set of weapon crates. At least lovely consumables respawn completely

I dunno if this was meant to be the classic open beta server stress test sort of thing or what, but it's failing if that's the case. It's stupid to feel this way about a video game, but I'm so profoundly disappointed. At least I got to try it and be so before paying for it and regretting it, I guess.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Can't help but feel this beta process will hurt sales drastically in the end from the bad firsthand experience and secondhand negative feedback.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Yeah, I was considering preordering the game but with how much they need to iron out between now and the launch date, I'm gonna wait and see.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I've been in multiple games where the other players tried to wait out the bridge event instead of running across it, even with me screaming "YOU HAVE TO RUN ACROSS THE BRIDGE" in text chat. I can't decide if this is a design problem or people are idiots.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
I've noticed a lot of people playing this who have clearly never played L4D before so I think it's a bit of idiocy and a bit of unfamiliarity. The characters even shout 'We can't possibly win this, loving run!' before the bridge.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I guess there's a reason why L4D2's bridge event has a "push button for exposition", followed by "push the button again when you're REALLY SURE".

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

BlackIronHeart posted:

Yeah, I was considering preordering the game but with how much they need to iron out between now and the launch date, I'm gonna wait and see.
I said before but yes the game really needed another 9 months in the oven, and yeah I can guarantee nothing is substantially changing between beta and launch. Maybe a few bug fixes, maybe matchmaking or disconnect fixes, and that's a maybe. I've been playing various online betas for 2+ decades and each and every time there's a bunch of Marketing Brains and horde of insane sycophantic fans going "but but the beta is actually a 12-month old internal build and the Gold version is super better and everything is going to be fixed in it!!" and lo and behold, the beta and gold are almost always the same loving thing.

I'm going to play it for a bit on Xbox Game Pass for $1, maybe get 1-2 months out of it, and probably never play it again. Same that Darktide got pushed back till next year but it's for the best.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
also just an FYI, you can turn off Cross-Play in settings so it's probably a good idea to do that to at least partially minimize chance of really dumb pubbies. it's not going to be a slamdunk because pubbies are going to pub, but it'll be a marginal improvement in probability

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

GTFO is cool as gently caress but it expects a LOT out of you, and it expects you and your group to take it super seriously, and if you don't it's going to punish the gently caress out of you. Which is cool, I'm glad it exists, but i'm not who the game is for lmao

We've had good fun with GTFO like half a year ago, but since then they've steadily pumped up the difficulty to the point where it became functionally unplayable. The issue is that if you want super hard difficulty, you also need to make sure that your gameplay is extremely tight and polished so that players have absolutely reliable tools to overcome that difficulty. Both B4B and GTFO are very much not that.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I've been in multiple games where the other players tried to wait out the bridge event instead of running across it, even with me screaming "YOU HAVE TO RUN ACROSS THE BRIDGE" in text chat. I can't decide if this is a design problem or people are idiots.

There's a similar event in a later level with the same problem.

It's actually a pretty simple design problem, you've trained people with prior events to hold out until you can move on. The game should be more explicit when you're expected to run. Endless hoards should have some kind of callout besides voicelines.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Mendrian posted:

There's a similar event in a later level with the same problem.

It's actually a pretty simple design problem, you've trained people with prior events to hold out until you can move on. The game should be more explicit when you're expected to run. Endless hoards should have some kind of callout besides voicelines.

I think there's also an issue with the level design for start of the bridge level, there's too much stuff before the event. It's a large area full of handy rooftops and loot rooms that look like good places to hole up in, instead of just a small area with the tank at one end and the safehouse at the other.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It's got pretty bad level design and that goes into the big events too, it does a very bad job giving you any indication of "Run for your life!" vs "The horde will die out in a minute, defend here" and without a shoving action it feels like you can't do anything to survive if the zombies ever catch up to you and drag you down, so it very quickly can turn into a failure cascade.

Just compare the l4d2 infinite bridge horde with this one, you got a very clear indication of "RUN" ahead of time and even a on-screen prompt to run across.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XTZJLc04m4

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Aug 13, 2021

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

It's got pretty bad level design and that goes into the big events too, it does a very bad job giving you any indication of "Run for your life!" vs "The horde will die out in a minute, defend here" and without a shoving action it feels like you can't do anything to survive if the zombies ever catch up to you and drag you down, so it very quickly can turn into a failure cascade.

I think the bash is supposed to be the shove equivalent, but it's not very effective.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Grapplejack posted:

There's also the problem of them designing the new rundowns for their bunny hopping functionally immune to every mechanic portion of their playerbase, which is less than a couple hundred people. I don't know anyone who plays the game anymore and last i checked it was doing poo poo on steam.

B4B talk: I managed to get through veteran with pubs while one was repeatedly just setting off hordes and being a massive dumbass, so its doable with good cards.

Also not a fan of how the best way to get through certain levels is to just gently caress the AI up a bit. The boat is a big one, two players stood up top will make it so the players below barely get touched, but its not particularly obvious.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I really don't miss the left 4 dead versus all that much because it was way too easy for survivors on regular versus and it felt like a ragequit fest. Survival versus was fun but mostly everyone played normal versus, which was frustrating as hell as infected.

I still don't understand why they couldn't just do a scavenge mode like left 4 dead though. It would at least make survivor move a bit.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oh yeah we had a couple "Are we supposed to stay here or... ?" moments as well, most notably in the second to last level your instructions are "Survive the gauntlet" which i assumed meant stay put and survive until you can move on like it always meant before but no in this case it wanted you to push forward through the infinitely spawning zombies.

I was kind of hoping most of the negative press was due to people who were pissed about versus mode or people who hadn't played L4D before wanting the game to be something else but they really did kinda gently caress up on all the basic elements that made L4D so special before trying to iterate on that with new poo poo like the cards and it just all feels like mush when you put it together. Real bummed this game turned out this way :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Not much to add here. Kinda bland overall, fun for a bit but I don't think I would pay full price for this. The zombies are kinda dull too. We had clowns, builders, hazmat guys, whatever in previous games (maybe full release will have them) and this just just doesn't seem to add much, even after a decade since the last game.

At lest on PS5 the dualsense gives good-enough feedback when shooting guns, as otherwise these would be dull too.