Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

OPAONI posted:

This is a DMV question. I am in Virginia.
My wife was recently rear-ended. She was deemed not at fault. The car was towed from scene. In order to get the payout from the insurance company, we need to hand them over the title to the vehicle. We were unable to locate the title. We went online and tried to order a new title from the Virginia DMV. It said we were unable to order a new title as the 'Title was returned to DMV.' What does this mean? How do we get the title?
Ten thousand thanks to anyone who can help.

If it matters it was a 2012 Nissan Versa, bought used and paid off.
Did you move after you bought the car? Maybe the bank/lien-holder tried to send it to your old address after paid off the loan and the forwarding order had expired. That's all I can think of.

I would suggest you call them and talk to a real person to find out what's going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Len posted:

I had a 4 gallon jug of water spill in the truck of my 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage on Monday. I pulled everything out of the trunk and left my windows down. The soft surfaces in my trunk dried fine and don't have any bad odor

My car still smells like mildew though and I'm not sure what to do. Please help ):

I put damprid in the car and got some air fresheners but I feel like this isn't an actual fix

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Get a ozone machine and run it inside the car.
That should clear up any remaining stink.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
This is a hail mary but

My rear end in a top hat neighbor has this battery pack sitting on the back of his boat in his driveway and it's been making a horrifically loud beeping noise since late yesterday. Literally all through the night, right under our bedroom window. Presumably this is the "Warning Buzzer" mentioned on the sticker. The thing is off and the clamps aren't attached to anything.

I've knocked several times but either nobody is home or its just their babysitter who never answers the door. I would throw the goddamn thing in the woods if I wasn't vaguely worried about it exploding and causing a fire. Any suggestions? I looked up the manual and that wasn't helpful either.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Chad Sexington posted:

This is a hail mary but

My rear end in a top hat neighbor has this battery pack sitting on the back of his boat in his driveway and it's been making a horrifically loud beeping noise since late yesterday. Literally all through the night, right under our bedroom window. Presumably this is the "Warning Buzzer" mentioned on the sticker. The thing is off and the clamps aren't attached to anything.

I've knocked several times but either nobody is home or its just their babysitter who never answers the door. I would throw the goddamn thing in the woods if I wasn't vaguely worried about it exploding and causing a fire. Any suggestions? I looked up the manual and that wasn't helpful either.

It's got lead acid batteries in it, not lipos, so it probably won't catch fire. I'm guessing it just wants to be plugged back into its charger. The warning buzzer seems to be internal so you'd have to take it apart to get to any of that or disconnect the batteries it looks like:
https://www.centurytool.net/ES1224_Truck_PAC_3200_Peak_Amp_12_24_Volt_Jump_Starter_s/156.htm

You could look for the ac charger but it's probably plugged into the wall in his garage or something where the jump box should be, it's like a 12V 1.5A wall wart according to what I see online. Maybe leave it in front of their front door.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

What's the name of the type of socket I need to remove these nuts holding my rims on?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I can't tell how many splines there are from the picture, but either a 6 or 7 point spline drive socket. If you can get a caliper on it you can determine the diameter. Then pick one up from the auto parts store.

They look like this. https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/lug-nut-sockets/socket-type/deep-well-spline

If you can't figure it out, maybe talk to a tire shop they might have some on hand to determine which you need.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Thanks!

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
So if I've rewatched old Top Gear too many times, seen all of Grand Tour, and watched every Regular Car Reviews video, what other cars+humor poo poo should I watch next? Seinfeld's show doesn't do it for me.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Imagined posted:

So if I've rewatched old Top Gear too many times, seen all of Grand Tour, and watched every Regular Car Reviews video, what other cars+humor poo poo should I watch next? Seinfeld's show doesn't do it for me.
Clarkson's Farm

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Krakkles posted:

Clarkson's Farm

Watching that already, actually! Unironically one of the best things he's ever done.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Imagined posted:

Vice grip garage
E: and roadkill of course

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 13, 2021

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Imagined posted:

Project Binky on YT

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Imagined posted:

James May's been pretty active these days on youtube, doing food stuff and bike stuff and making his own gin. He even responded to one of my questions once :swoon:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

2007 GTI, 6spd manual with factory LSD.

Lately (for about a week or two) when driving at highway speeds I've noticed an intermittent and irregular gentle knocking sorta sound from I think somewhere in the front of the car. It sounds almost exactly like driving over a repaired crack in the road or similar small irregularity. It's not associated with engine speed or gear selection. It doesn't change appreciably when making long sweeping left or right hand corners. I don't 'feel' anything in the steering wheel or in the frame of the car when these sounds occur. It's driving completely normally and no CEL is on. It happens under braking as well as during acceleration or just cruising. It almost sounds like something is embedded in a tire, but it's not occurring with that kind of regularity or frequency. Imagine something like a screw being in the tire every 10th-15th rotation of the wheel but not otherwise.

I'm unable to reproduce any kind of noise when moving the body of the car up and down by grabbing the wheel arch, and I don't hear anything like I'd expect with a sway bar linkage when I go over a speed bump either both wheels at the same time or one wheel at a time. I don't have an easy way of getting the front wheels off the ground to push/pull on them to see if I feel any play which I recognize would be a good next step to see if a wheel bearing might be on it's way out.

Any ideas? I'm going to take a look at the front axles when I can get there with a flashlight (in the middle of a work set at the moment) to see if maybe a CV joint is out, but I think that would make the noise worse on acceleration if that was the issue.

My other thoughts were a front wheel bearing or front strut mount/bearing. I've never had any issues with that kind of thing in any vehicle I've owned so I don't know what it 'should' sound like but I thought with a wheel bearing it would be louder when loaded in one direction or the other as when on a long left/right corner on the highway. At a standstill, turning the wheel from one direction all the way to the other doesn't produce any knocking or clicking sounds.

Thanks goons.

Imagined posted:

I like Mighty Car Mods on youtube but I have to fast forward through a lot of their dialogue because about a third of the time it's not nearly as funny as they think it is. They have incredibly interesting projects and a wide diversity as well. I've really enjoyed them and they're good people often supporting local charity organizations or mental health stuff etc.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

In my 2007 GTI when the front wheel bearings went bad it sounded like putting a card in bike spokes.

It's not a hard job to diy, just the axel nuts are on with a poo poo ton of a foot/lbs. I had a big cheater slipped over a breaker bar and had to stand on it to get it to budge and you need a special socket to get them off

CV joint when it went out was more clicky on turns.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Thumposaurus posted:

In my 2007 GTI when the front wheel bearings went bad it sounded like putting a card in bike spokes.

It's not a hard job to diy, just the axel nuts are on with a poo poo ton of a foot/lbs. I had a big cheater slipped over a breaker bar and had to stand on it to get it to budge and you need a special socket to get them off

CV joint when it went out was more clicky on turns.

Thank you. I did the rear wheel bearing/ABS ring assembly on one side so I might already have that socket if it's the same. I also have a monster breaker bar/torque wrench and I eat a lot of beef so maybe I should just replace them.

I should have mentioned (I'll edit it in) there's 139,000 kms on the car (86k miles).

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Ok Comboomer posted:

James May's been pretty active these days on youtube, doing food stuff and bike stuff and making his own gin. He even responded to one of my questions once :swoon:

James May's "Oh Cook!" on prime video was pretty entertaining-- if no one has already mentioned it.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

VelociBacon posted:

2007 GTI, 6spd manual with factory LSD.

Lately (for about a week or two) when driving at highway speeds I've noticed an intermittent and irregular gentle knocking sorta sound from I think somewhere in the front of the car. It sounds almost exactly like driving over a repaired crack in the road or similar small irregularity. It's not associated with engine speed or gear selection. It doesn't change appreciably when making long sweeping left or right hand corners. I don't 'feel' anything in the steering wheel or in the frame of the car when these sounds occur. It's driving completely normally and no CEL is on. It happens under braking as well as during acceleration or just cruising. It almost sounds like something is embedded in a tire, but it's not occurring with that kind of regularity or frequency. Imagine something like a screw being in the tire every 10th-15th rotation of the wheel but not otherwise.

I'm unable to reproduce any kind of noise when moving the body of the car up and down by grabbing the wheel arch, and I don't hear anything like I'd expect with a sway bar linkage when I go over a speed bump either both wheels at the same time or one wheel at a time. I don't have an easy way of getting the front wheels off the ground to push/pull on them to see if I feel any play which I recognize would be a good next step to see if a wheel bearing might be on it's way out.

Any ideas? I'm going to take a look at the front axles when I can get there with a flashlight (in the middle of a work set at the moment) to see if maybe a CV joint is out, but I think that would make the noise worse on acceleration if that was the issue.

My other thoughts were a front wheel bearing or front strut mount/bearing. I've never had any issues with that kind of thing in any vehicle I've owned so I don't know what it 'should' sound like but I thought with a wheel bearing it would be louder when loaded in one direction or the other as when on a long left/right corner on the highway. At a standstill, turning the wheel from one direction all the way to the other doesn't produce any knocking or clicking sounds.

Thanks goons.

I like Mighty Car Mods on youtube but I have to fast forward through a lot of their dialogue because about a third of the time it's not nearly as funny as they think it is. They have incredibly interesting projects and a wide diversity as well. I've really enjoyed them and they're good people often supporting local charity organizations or mental health stuff etc.
Could it be a sway bar link? Those things go bad all the time, and though they don't affect driving too much, they can make a ton of racket. Thankfully, they are also generally cheap as hell and very easy to replace (rust not withstanding).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

VelociBacon posted:

Thank you. I did the rear wheel bearing/ABS ring assembly on one side so I might already have that socket if it's the same. I also have a monster breaker bar/torque wrench and I eat a lot of beef so maybe I should just replace them.

DO NOT use a torque wrench as a breaker bar, unless you don't want it to ever read right again.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

STR posted:

DO NOT use a torque wrench as a breaker bar, unless you don't want it to ever read right again.

That's a good point. I think I maxed the setting first when I used it and it didn't click past that force but a good reminder for sure.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

If it ends up being wheel bearings make sure you get new axle bolts they are stretch bolts so you can't reuse the old ones.

There's 2 different styles of bolt too which is annoying one is like a triple square internal the other is a 12 point external flange bolt.

I think the 12 point is an updated part.

I can check on the sizes in a bit if you need to know what bit/socket you'll need.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

STR posted:

Yeah, this is what a pipe over the end of the box wrench is for!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

The TPMS in my 2010 Nissan Xterra has started acted strangely. Occasionally while driving, the TPMS light comes on and blinks for a minute or two (the manual says this means there is a TPMS malfunction), stays illuminated for a while(5-10 min? sometimes less) and then goes off. This has happened on occasion while driving on the highway for years, and would usually only happen once in a trip. I got new tires a month ago, and it seems to be happening much more frequently since then. It happened 3 times in a 1.25hr, 50 mile drive today. It mostly only happens at highway speeds, but sometimes at lower speeds around town, especially if I have been driving for a while. I think when it happened in years past, it was mostly in the summer.

I stopped after it came on for the first time today and checked my tired pressure, and they ranged from 35-36.5 PSI, which all seems normal and good, and not like my tires were over-pressure or anything. It came on the first time today after I had been driving~20min at 55-60mph. The second time it came on I was only going 45mph or so, and it didn't stay on for very long. Similar deal with the 3rd time, except I was driving on grooved pavement where they were repaving. I made the same trip I made today but in reverse Friday afternoon- it came on after I had been driving 65-70 on the interstate for ~20 min, and didn't ever come back on. I happened to stop after it came on and checked pressure-pretty consistently 37PSI. Today I actually stayed off the interstate and mostly was travelling at slower speeds. The main differences in those trips seem to be that on Friday, it was 5pm and a decent bit cooler-80-85ish and the shadows from the trees were giving the road some shade, whereas this morning it was hotter (90+) and in full sun. All of the above details may be a red herring and completely irrelevant, but maybe it's useful!

Could my tires or the TPMS sensor or something be overheating and triggering the malfunction? Hot tires = overinflated tires would make sense, except that when I checked the pressure while the light was on, they were fairly normal. Would the new tires be part of the cause, or was that just coincidence with the weather getting hot? Could the batteries in the sensors just be low? I've had at least 2 of them replaced in the last year or two-could low battery in one of the older ones be making it act funny?

Even though my rational brain know there's almost certainly not a problem with the tires when the light starts blinking, I do still freak out a little bit over it and would love to know a)what the problem is and b)how to fix it, or what to tell my mechanic to look at.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Low battery or dying sensor. Heat can certainly play a factor in either case. Flashing for 60-90 seconds, then solid, usually indicates a problem communicating with a sensor.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

My car seems to have broke down. A Daewoo Lanos from 2002. I was traveling back home from my sister when I heard a loud click as if something broke. Immediately, the steering wheel became heavy and unresponsive, while the front stopped turning.

Luckily, it was night on a deserted road so I managed to slowly pull the car to the side and park it off the road. Its Sunday and night time so I called a cab and will look for a mechanic tomorrow. Any clue on what happened, though? And if so how costly will be whatever part that you imagined broke?

I noticed that the brakes became heavy too while I was trying to park the car. No idea if its related. There was no oil or other liquids spilled on the road from where it came from.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

My car seems to have broke down. A Daewoo Lanos from 2002. I was traveling back home from my sister when I heard a loud click as if something broke. Immediately, the steering wheel became heavy and unresponsive, while the front stopped turning.

Luckily, it was night on a deserted road so I managed to slowly pull the car to the side and park it off the road. It’s Sunday and night time so I called a cab and will look for a mechanic tomorrow. Any clue on what happened, though? And if so how costly will be whatever part that you imagined broke?

I noticed that the brakes became heavy too while I was trying to park the car. No idea if it’s related. There was no oil or other liquids spilled on the road from where it came from.

The engine turn off? There isn't really a lot of info to go off of here.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Saoshyant posted:

Luckily, it was night on a deserted road so I managed to slowly pull the car to the side and park it off the road. Its Sunday and night time so I called a cab and will look for a mechanic tomorrow. Any clue on what happened, though? And if so how costly will be whatever part that you imagined broke?

I noticed that the brakes became heavy too while I was trying to park the car. No idea if its related. There was no oil or other liquids spilled on the road from where it came from.

I vote, "popped the timing belt."

Don't know squat about Daewoos, though, so you're in the Non-Interference Lottery at the moment.

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

Saoshyant posted:

Luckily, it was night on a deserted road so I managed to slowly pull the car to the side and park it off the road. It’s Sunday and night time so I called a cab and will look for a mechanic tomorrow. Any clue on what happened, though? And if so how costly will be whatever part that you imagined broke?

I noticed that the brakes became heavy too while I was trying to park the car. No idea if it’s related. There was no oil or other liquids spilled on the road from where it came from.

Sounds like maybe your serpentine belt? If it snapped then you lost a lot of hydraulic systems with it

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

The engine turn off? There isn't really a lot of info to go off of here.

Sorry. The engine was on until I parked the car and then turned it off normally. Electric part also seemed fine. No weird lights turned on in the driver panel. The steering wheel just became unresponsive after the loud click and that was it.

Edit: Im now reading that the serpentine belt, other than the steering, also controls the air conditioner. Sadly, I didnt have the air conditioner on to see if it failed. Ill try turning it on tomorrow.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 16, 2021

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The serpentine belt do something for the brake booster on those cars?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Were you still able to steer, with effort, or did it not go where you pointed? Sorry just clarifying.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Frankly I'm impressed that there was a Lanos still kicking around until this weekend.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Charles posted:

Were you still able to steer, with effort, or did it not go where you pointed? Sorry just clarifying.

Yeah, with effort I managed to steer it to the right enough to get it out of the road. Thats when I noticed the brakes were getting heavier too.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I mean it sounds like your engine shut off. No power to power steering, no vacuum to brake booster? :iiam: Hopefully somebody else might have some insight. And yeah TBH you don't see many Daewoos anymore. You didn't even ten years ago. I like how they look though, no idea about how they are to drive / service

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Does anybody know any dirty tricks to fix an oil pan drain plug from leaking? I changed the oil on my car (dark blue) the other day and I can't get it to stop dripping. I tried replacing the copper washer already but I'm unsure if it's the right size because I'm unsure the one that was on there was the right size. This is because it was already leaking but I couldn't see due to a plastic belly pan thing with foam insulation soaking everything up. I did notice that the level had dropped more than I'd like but I figured it was burning the oil, not leaking. I got the car a couple of months ago and this was the first oil change I did so I'm not aware of any previous issues.

Tl;dr: I'm looking specifically for some dirty tricks that will stop the leak temporarily, without damaging anything, so I can get it fixed properly in a couple of days.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

spankmeister posted:

Tl;dr: I'm looking specifically for some dirty tricks that will stop the leak temporarily, without damaging anything, so I can get it fixed properly in a couple of days.

Flexseal.gif

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
1999 Honda Civic Ex, 2-door coupe. Looking to replace the rear bumper cover, which got cracked badly in a minor accident (the bumper itself is in good shape). The part on Rockauto is cheap as hell, like $35, but the shipping puts it well over $250, which is a lot more than I'd like to spend considering I would still have to get it painted. Called up a local dealer and they quoted me the same price. Is there anything else I can do besides trawling through junkyards? And if so any advice on dealing with junkyards? Last time I tried to ask if they had something they hung up on me, and there's no pull your own junkyards near me that I know of.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

DildenAnders posted:

1999 Honda Civic Ex, 2-door coupe. Looking to replace the rear bumper cover, which got cracked badly in a minor accident (the bumper itself is in good shape). The part on Rockauto is cheap as hell, like $35, but the shipping puts it well over $250, which is a lot more than I'd like to spend considering I would still have to get it painted. Called up a local dealer and they quoted me the same price. Is there anything else I can do besides trawling through junkyards? And if so any advice on dealing with junkyards? Last time I tried to ask if they had something they hung up on me, and there's no pull your own junkyards near me that I know of.
Did you check amazon? They do free shipping on orders over $35 and have quite a bit of automotive parts.

Is this what you need? - https://www.amazon.com/Evan-Fischer...999+Honda+Civic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Except with oil still oozing through it because there's not a goddamn thing out there that will seal an already-wet surface.