Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What’s the current place of oldies as a category now? I would have figured the natural order of things is that yesterday’s classic rock is today’s oldies while the poo poo I knew in high school is the new classic rock. Which I guess means pre-1965 gets tossed into the void or goes to the weird AM station my grandma listened to that was all Glenn Miller and Mel Torme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Cleretic posted:

I assure you, Pink is unique among this class, in that she only ever appealed to people who were already moms. I was in school when she was new and big, and moms were already the only people who listened to her.
What sort of school because I think that might have something to do with your perspective on the subject. I hadn't heard of her until I was in one of her videos but some friends who were definitely not moms had and liked her for far different reasons than I did

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
The worst #1 was this song from 1966, which knocked These Boots Were Made for Walkin out of the #1 spot. This was the #1 selling song of the year that brought us Sloop John B and Yellow Submarine and Paint it Black.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5WJJVSE_BE

As far as mom rock, my mom was really into Rascal Flatts.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

Alright so we have some idea now of what DadRock is. i.e. Stuff dads like.

How about Mum Rock? Stuff everybody's mum likes.

I would initially posit Crowded House, Joni Mitchell, and The Three Tenors.

coldplay

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

ookiimarukochan posted:

For the avoidance of doubt as to what "dad rock" is, here's the track listing to best selling (I assume) album "NOW That's What I Call Dad Rock"

very mixed feelings about this track listing over here

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

What’s the current place of oldies as a category now? I would have figured the natural order of things is that yesterday’s classic rock is today’s oldies while the poo poo I knew in high school is the new classic rock. Which I guess means pre-1965 gets tossed into the void or goes to the weird AM station my grandma listened to that was all Glenn Miller and Mel Torme.

There's one station in my area that shifted about 15 years ago from 1950s-70s to mid-1960s through late 1980s. It still has a Beatles Brunch, but Love Me Do is about as far back as it goes and only on that. I did hear I Got You Babe on that station this week, though. It's the only oldies station in the area that does not play arena rock and, as a cheapskate who does not pay for satellite radio, I still tune in.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

What sort of school because I think that might have something to do with your perspective on the subject. I hadn't heard of her until I was in one of her videos but some friends who were definitely not moms had and liked her for far different reasons than I did

Regrettably, an all-boys school, which you'd think explains some of it, but I had enough female friends and relatives to recognize the gap.

It might've been an Australian thing, or even just an Adelaide thing. 'Classic/dad rock'* very much ruled and still has strong pull even now, and Pink was the one pinning down the entire female parallel of that genre.

*Incidentally, my definition of both classic and dad rock is 'any song that can play directly after AC/DC on the radio without forcing a station change'. Again, definitely an Australian bias; AC/DC is the central orbiting point of all music in Australia, and everything can be defined by how close it is to AC/DC.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
My mom really likes Bon Jovi.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
My mum (mid 50s, Australian) had never expressed any interest in Pink's music, I don’t recall her ever even mentioning Pink at any point. We didn’t even listen to radio stations who played her. But she still somehow came back from shopping one day with a Pink album. Mystifying.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Cleretic posted:

Pink. Pink is the central core of Mom Rock, everyone else is merely ancillary.

My wife is going to hate me when I tell her this.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
My mum liked Red Hot Chilli Peppers and Pearl Jam.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

packetmantis posted:

My mom really likes Bon Jovi.

moms like Bruce Springsteen, but moms LOVE Bon Jovi

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

lol your moms suck

real mom rock is showtunes

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
Josh Groban, Billy Joel, Adele

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

jackofarcades posted:

The worst #1 was this song from 1966, which knocked These Boots Were Made for Walkin out of the #1 spot. This was the #1 selling song of the year that brought us Sloop John B and Yellow Submarine and Paint it Black.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5WJJVSE_BE

Well, yes, but if it were not for the good staff sergeant we would never have had this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6j5vBo2GxU

And that is Not What I Call Dad Rock. Radioactive by Imagine Dragons is only famous because it was in a loving Twilight movie, for Christ's sake. Hozier and Natalie Imbruglia aren't even rock. And that's just the ones that stand out.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
It also has Mr. Brightside which in 2021 was on Billboard's top 100. It will be on there forever.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
So dad rock is basically just what we used to call MOR back in the day?

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

"Oldies" seems to be a pretty set category of 50s-70s music. About five-ish years ago I was observing with interest how a local oldies station seemed to be gradually adding some 80s and 90s songs to their rotation. A couple months in, though, they basically rebranded as an 80s and occasionally 70s and 90s station and dropped the use of the term "oldies."

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

"Oldies" is generally the 50s to 70s or 80s. "Classic hits" generally overlaps it with the 70s and 80s and then into the early 2000s. At least from my experience with radio stations. What songs in that overlap make it into oldies, or classic hits isn't really consistent.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Lol my mum only likes hard house

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

If you'll indulge me derailing our dad rock thread, I recently encountered a movie that aged SO badly that it circled around to aging really, really well.

The movie Butcher, Baker, Nightmare Maker from 1981, about a teen who has a smothering, murderous Aunt with an incestuous obsession with him, has a kind of red-herring subplot that drops these little hints that the teen might be in a gay relationship with his gym coach and might be covering for his Aunt's murders because the victim was the coach's ex and he was jealous and maybe the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, etc. This turns out not to be the case, our teen protagonist was simply sticking up for his coach who is a stand up guy.

Things is, all this stuff flew completely over my head when I was first watching, it looked to me like it was remarkably ahead-of-its-time sympathetic to gay issues. And I suppose at the end it still sort of is, but it wasn't until the movie was over and I thought about it a little bit that I realized that was supposed to be a PLOT TWIST.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

ookiimarukochan posted:

For the avoidance of doubt as to what "dad rock" is, here's the track listing to best selling (I assume) album "NOW That's What I Call Dad Rock"

I do not know If I am more angry about the fact that this is now considered the uncool dad-music, or the fact that I would buy this record immediately.

...or the fact that my commuter VW does not have Bluetooth and the AUX doesn't work, so I am stuck using CD's in the year 2021.

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

ookiimarukochan posted:

What on earth is Hozier doing on this album

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

jkk posted:

What on earth is Hozier doing on this album

I'd still rather have him on it than Breakfast at Tiffany's. There's a parody version out there where the couple are bonding over how much they hate the song.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

If you'll indulge me derailing our dad rock thread, I recently encountered a movie that aged SO badly that it circled around to aging really, really well.

The movie Butcher, Baker, Nightmare Maker from 1981, about a teen who has a smothering, murderous Aunt with an incestuous obsession with him, has a kind of red-herring subplot that drops these little hints that the teen might be in a gay relationship with his gym coach and might be covering for his Aunt's murders because the victim was the coach's ex and he was jealous and maybe the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, etc. This turns out not to be the case, our teen protagonist was simply sticking up for his coach who is a stand up guy.

Things is, all this stuff flew completely over my head when I was first watching, it looked to me like it was remarkably ahead-of-its-time sympathetic to gay issues. And I suppose at the end it still sort of is, but it wasn't until the movie was over and I thought about it a little bit that I realized that was supposed to be a PLOT TWIST.

The cop is ultimately wrong, because he lets his bigotry decide his investigation,and the kid kills him in the end I think? It's been a while which twist or not isn't a bad message. What really bothered me about that movie were the excessive slurs, even for a movie of that vintage.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Classic Rock Stations seem to be 70s to Early 2000s now.

The existential dread of what is going to happen in 10 years to these stations is already making me feel old.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Analytic Engine posted:

where does Queens of the Stone Age sit? Dadrock?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DcHKOC64KnE

I like them, so they're good

but really, stoner rock I guess. you did pick their buttrockest song though (I still like it)

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

moms love Tori Amos (if gen x) and Kate Bush (if older)

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Nickelback is one of those bands that always mistified me. The meme has always been that everyone hates them, even during their hayday in the mid 2000s, but they are probably hall of fame levels of popular. Someone has to like it but who? I have personally never met anyone who has had anything good to say about Nickelback but by all metrics they were extremely successful.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Nickelback is one of those bands that always mistified me. The meme has always been that everyone hates them, even during their hayday in the mid 2000s, but they are probably hall of fame levels of popular. Someone has to like it but who? I have personally never met anyone who has had anything good to say about Nickelback but by all metrics they were extremely successful.

Canadians.

Also, this is art: https://youtu.be/sIlNIVXpIns

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Come visit the South. Everyone loves Nickelback here. :negative:

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Rockstar is fantastic, in that it sounds like a parody of the most boring rockstar song ever made. If you told me it was Bo Burnham’s parody of lovely rock music, I’d absolutely believe it. Instead, it was made in earnest by truly one of the most aggressively mediocre rock bands to ever exist.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

This thread really opened my eyes to the fact that theory of a deadman is even worse than Nickelback

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
my mom only listens to vaporwave and the related oceangrunge genre

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Some of Nickelback's old stuff is ok. I mean, I'll admit that I'm still a sucker for "How You Remind Me."

I think the big thing with them is that they're like the Adam Sandler of music. They aren't by any definition "good", but they found a formula that works and generates reliable returns, so they keep getting paid.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

This is probably just me, but when I think 'oldies' (which I personally love), I think '50s and '60s rock and roll. When I think 'classic rock', I tend to think of overplayed '70s stuff like Hotel California, Stairway To Heaven, etc.

I have no idea what dadrock is, but a fair amount of music I like would probably fit the bill: The Beatles, some of the Stones, '80s pop and rock, etc.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Ambitious Spider posted:

The cop is ultimately wrong, because he lets his bigotry decide his investigation,and the kid kills him in the end I think? It's been a while which twist or not isn't a bad message. What really bothered me about that movie were the excessive slurs, even for a movie of that vintage.

There's an IMDB trivia bit that makes the movie make a WHOLE lot more sense:

"Early versions of the movie kept it ambiguous that Susan Tyrell was the villain of the story, gradually revealing it as the plot developed. However, this was changed when the story felt noticeably more suspenseful with the villain being established from the beginning. "

Which helps explain why a movie about a psycho killer aunt apparently thought it also needed to feature a psycho killer detective. And how I didn't see the teen or his coach as suspicious not only because I'm not the homophobe the movie assumes I am, but also because why would a movie need red herrings when we know who the murderer is from the start?

(On an unrelated note, it features Bill Paxton in the earliest role I've seen, and even then he was playing "typical Bill Paxton")

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I think a big part of what makes Nickelback simultaneously extremely hateable, and extremely hard to figure out why people hate them, is that they're the kind of band that has one good song... that they kept playing for about six albums. Chances are, yeah, most people think fondly of one Nickelback song or another, most likely the first one that really caught in their head (for me it was Hero, the unabashed earnestness still gets me). But they never bring anything new to the table, so they wear people down pretty hard. Especially because this was still in the era of big radio play; these days if you're hearing Nickelback it's because on some level you wanted to, or at least consented to. It's rather a different story when you're on your daily commute and suddenly your radio hits you with a shouty, gravelly man telling you that it's LOOKIN' LIKE ANOTHER BOB MARLEY DAY

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 16:23 on Aug 13, 2021

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Analytic Engine posted:

where does Queens of the Stone Age sit? Dadrock?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DcHKOC64KnE

sometimes people call it 'desert rock' but that is a label that is pretty much just QOTSA, kyuss, and then a bunch of bands that sound very similar because they were all part of the same scene in the early 90s. its a subset of stoner rock, differentiated by stoner metal from "is this band trying to sound more like sleep or like sabbath?"

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

This is probably just me, but when I think 'oldies' (which I personally love), I think '50s and '60s rock and roll. When I think 'classic rock', I tend to think of overplayed '70s stuff like Hotel California, Stairway To Heaven, etc.

I have no idea what dadrock is, but a fair amount of music I like would probably fit the bill: The Beatles, some of the Stones, '80s pop and rock, etc.

all rock and roll is oldies now. the oldest oldies would be 60s era. 50s pop music standards basically never get played anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Vandar posted:

Come visit the South. Everyone loves Nickelback here. :negative:

I have lived basically my whole life in Dallas.