Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Radio Free Walrus posted:

I really hope the gun we end up using for the upcoming scene is the Revolver and not the Moloch Buster!

You know, going by a very strict reading of the rules... the Moloch Buster would do exactly 1 point of damage to our heads and that's it. Other than the descriptor that it's a nuclear weapon (which I think was a damage type), there's no indication that it actually has an AOE. Technically, the description is that "Its improbable magitech is capable of concentrated atomic annihilation.’" so it may just destroy things at the atomic level (yes I know that in and of itself would probably result in massive fuckoff explosions from splitting atoms, shush and let me have my fun).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Unbeatable strategy where we nuke ourself in the head, taking 1 damage and annihilating everything else in the blast radius. :shepicide:

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015

Randalor posted:

You know, going by a very strict reading of the rules... the Moloch Buster would do exactly 1 point of damage to our heads and that's it. Other than the descriptor that it's a nuclear weapon (which I think was a damage type), there's no indication that it actually has an AOE. Technically, the description is that "Its improbable magitech is capable of concentrated atomic annihilation.’" so it may just destroy things at the atomic level (yes I know that in and of itself would probably result in massive fuckoff explosions from splitting atoms, shush and let me have my fun).
That could be fairly entertaining - we fail to intimidate Deimos because he thinks it's just a peashooter (1 damage headshot), he grabs the weapon to mimic/mock us, and then promptly deletes himself from the game.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!

That could be fairly entertaining - we fail to intimidate Deimos because he thinks it's just a peashooter (1 damage headshot), he grabs the weapon to mimic/mock us, and then promptly deletes himself from the game.

That would work with a normal gun as well. Arguably better!

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
I appreciate the devotion here to breaking a game that isn't even real.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

t3isukone posted:

Just like the old adage "If it has stats, players will kill it", "If it has stats, players will break it" is alive and well.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

t3isukone posted:

You know, maybe there's also a mundane reason nobody has ever succeeded in a onerun. Namely there being too many fun disasters to try.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

NOT KWIAT

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Dude got Madagascar in Pandemic'd

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Love how it reads not just like a roguelike tombstone file, but specifically like a DoomRL tombstone. :hellyeah:

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Ah, a maximum murderhobo run.
I suppose the lesson to learn here is that incredible nuclear violence alone can only get you so far.
Well, incredible nuclear violence and luck.
Aside from that, confirmation that corruption is not a toy to be used carelessly lest our soul is overrun with spiders and other unpleasantries.

Does bring to forefront the other part of winning this; it's one thing to live, and another to have a world worth living in by the end of it.
A win is a win, but not all wins are equal, etc.
(Also: Do not nuke kwiat, be mindful of impact radius when using the big weapons lest others face the consequences :goleft:)

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Hey, on the plus side we probably can't possibly get that specific ending now that we have an Invitation.

Grond
Mar 31, 2016

Arcanuse posted:

Ah, a maximum murderhobo run.
I suppose the lesson to learn here is that incredible nuclear violence alone can only get you so far.
Well, incredible nuclear violence and luck.
Aside from that, confirmation that corruption is not a toy to be used carelessly lest our soul is overrun with spiders and other unpleasantries.

Does bring to forefront the other part of winning this; it's one thing to live, and another to have a world worth living in by the end of it.
A win is a win, but not all wins are equal, etc.
(Also: Do not nuke kwiat, be mindful of impact radius when using the big weapons lest others face the consequences :goleft:)

I mean, yes, but on the other hand, we never really tried nuking Deimos. Maybe that's the secret to winning the game, I'm just saying.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
Huh. From the Flower of Ruin's description, I wonder if the Moloch Buster is the Mouse of Sight's weapon, associated with their element / soul color, or literally is made from them in our current End.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Y'know, I wasn't wondering if corpses counted as items for the suitifier, but after you asking that, now I kinda want to see what kind of suit Deimos would turn into.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
I'm still pro the nonlethal/redemption/making friends run so far, but LET'S RAGNAROK is an incredibly tempting skill name :black101:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I don't think it's possible to do a pacifist/no-kills run, just because of the preexisting factions. I mean, Merkja and MC&D seem destined to be opposed to each other, as is the Singer and MC&D, and the Backup and MC&D, and... well, okay, I'm just assuming MC&D are ultimately opposed to EVERYONE at this point, and any alliances they have are fragile at best.

Then again, considering that they are both the Feyfolk AND the "If we can categorize it and document it, it is no longer magic" science types with a heavy dose of "If we can replicate it, we can sell it", it makes sense that they would be at odds with everyone.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I don't think we're aiming for no kills at all, because like you said, we can't ally with or even be neutral with everyone.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
MC&D is definitely on the shitlist: they trapped us, hurt us, experimented on us, and most unforgivably they damaged our Camp Champs keepsake.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I like the implication that "acted like a complete loving psychopath" is a quantifiable flag, or possibly an achievement

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Does our run not have that, with our first run-in with Deimos?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Nah, that was just acting like a psychopath one time. We didn't sink the entire holy valley to deal with him, for example.

Grond
Mar 31, 2016

Randalor posted:

Nah, that was just acting like a psychopath one time. We didn't sink the entire holy valley to deal with him, for example.

...yet.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

tbf if that's what it took to mess with Deimos the next time, I would not think twice :colbert:

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
We're already risking corruption just for the sake of screwing with the guy, which is an impressive dedication to being a dick.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!

Razakai posted:

We're already risking corruption just for the sake of screwing with the guy, which is an impressive dedication to being a dick.

at the final battle, when all seems lost and the dawn never comes, deimos will be there. and we will win by loving with him.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
Kwiat's wellbeing is one of the few things that would cause me to think twice about being a dick to Deimos.
Chicken Knights forever!

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012

Kwiat's wellbeing is one of the few things that would cause me to think twice about being a dick to Deimos.
Chicken Knights forever!
On that note, a reminder we have 0 days of rations at the hideout.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

The Blue Book posted:

"...nowhere near as extreme as tri-elements. Examples such as Aurora, Tropic, Phlogiston, Mist, Typhoon, Nuclear..."

"...known is that each combination of Tyrant and the subclass has a unique marker name. For a majority it's used very rarely, but if you've seen titles like 'Selenian', 'Overlord', 'Ur-Priest'..."

"...tagged internally with [Monstrous Cost]. This seems to mean any non-currency trade of extreme price, often in return for powerful abilities or items. Many of Napp's rarer Red Light Deals qualify (though merciful in their clarity and choice), as well as stronger Corruptions, Megalith items, major Mythos anything, agreeing to..."

"...anymore. I can't. I can't stand hearing it again. I know I can kill her right away and open so many roads but I can't do it. I can't and I try and it's not enough and she dies. I can't stand to hear it ever again. I'm done. I hate that there's no way to mute it. Why is it so long? Just let the door stay locked, wherever she is. Forget about her..."

"...your aim is the oh-no-duhs, then you try for Silvance, you try to grandsword the Black Blade, you hope for a Tchoblade, you change build if you find the Star Ruby Gauntlet, you always go for the mastery of an Orb of Magic, try to farm one Joedough, you suffer the weight of Moloch equipment..."

"...is just one of the many categories of Events. It includes some of the rarest and most intimidating onerun changers. There was the Emptying, in which the weather went to a rotation of unique and Anxiety-raising types. The entire map emptied of every single NPC who wasn't cult or a monster. They were all found inside of one of four vaults in each region, playing out their roles in a completely new way. Their Anxiety was always high, and if spied upon they would frequently be found quietly pleading to Melinda for intervention with..."

"...Hristan is not worth it! Only if you're a Valkyrie, or a Knight looking to go Ragnarok. Otherwise just turn her down and eat the Anxiety. It sucks being arbitrarily strong enough and finding out she wants to..."

"...staggering number of inaccessible and unused classes, so many of them with complete powers used nowhere known, and some entirely blank and guessed at, or with named and useless abilities. Some of the most memorable have been Kesatria, Duelist, Ultrahuman, False Saint, Knight Golconda..."

"...biggest ongoing disbeliefs and dislikes of the game is the Elementalist class. With the staggering variety of types it can start as and graduate to, it's a frustration to have so little room to play with some of the stranger elements without risking..."

"...every agrees, once they get to it, that「Gravity」is the..."

"...called 'Invert', one of the 16 possibilities of the Colourformula. It inverts both the color and the nature of the painted object, leading to countless unique..."

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!
immediately wondering if we can Invert the Tyrant

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away

The Blue Book posted:

"...anymore. I can't. I can't stand hearing it again. I know I can kill her right away and open so many roads but I can't do it. I can't and I try and it's not enough and she dies. I can't stand to hear it ever again. I'm done. I hate that there's no way to mute it. Why is it so long? Just let the door stay locked, wherever she is. Forget about her..."
I have a really nasty and completely unsubstantiated feeling that this is about Kwiat.

I'm also glad we chose Rita now, as whatever it is that Hristan wants is almost certainly horrible considering everything else in this game.

(also, I keep wishing this was an actual game, I would probably do horribly at it but I would at the very least spend days digging around in the code)

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012

Hodgepodge posted:

immediately wondering if we can Invert the Tyrant
I'm wondering what happens if we invert the 12th color. But given the description of the formula, there's also other effects. Some of them are probably "Enhance" or "Fill", so maaaaybe a bad thing to risk.

Grond
Mar 31, 2016

The Blue Book posted:

"...dead, then Paproc will be corrupted and immediately violent. If alive, she'll be normal and able to join you to get to Momma Logon's camp right on the border of..."

Ah, so that's why my man Paproc was glitched. We schrödinger'd Momma Fireswamp, so it makes sense all the events related to her would be acting weird as well. We avoided a fight, but we also weren't guided to Momma Logon's camp.

Now I'm getting kinda worried. What if there are even more events that depend on how we deal with Paproc? I'd assume the corruption would spread throughout that entire chain of causality. Maybe that's why the game is so corrupted right now, maybe picking the glitch option every time early on means the ripples in causality are destroying the code's internal cohesion. The butterfly effect can be a bitch.

Also:

quote:

The tigergild comes into more complex focus across the endless mental landscape of sprouting mushrooms. He's so worried. He's so anxious. It's so scary. It's so bad. Kaigen's destiny is dead. It's gone. His Godstar winked out of the sky, his dreams dark of his loving visions.

This "godstar" thing reminds me of the conversation we had with the Farmer when the Archer fell from the sky.

quote:

"But there he was. The old hyena broke the star open with one punch; the wolf doctor pulled him out. It was already covered in flowers and moss, and I remember wondering how that could be if it had fallen from above- but that was exactly what I think he was the idea of."

One of her pauses, so she can look over a small planter box hanging off of the window next to her.

"...why did I go? I saw the star fall, and I couldn't stand to wait at Home for someone to die. Blessed, nobody did that night, but I didn't know then. So I went."

That look in her eyes. She knew. She knew that she had two lineages of recall. One was bound in a night of ice under stars, the other a tourmaline holy dream. But it didn't change the truth of the Archer.

It seems that a star falling from the sky usually means a colonist will die. Maybe that's their Godstar? Maybe their destiny dies, their star falls, and they die soon after, but for some reason Kaigen survived that.

Grond fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Aug 14, 2021

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Also explains why he looks like... that. I'm guessing pulling the art for the "corrupted" Paproc and the pallet for the "normal" Paproc.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

You Couln't Help But Stare posted:

You tear your eyes away from her when you feel she might be looking back. You sit on the wooden floor, hidden by the wall, and shake away the nerves.

Aitvaras' voice is soft. "You see her?" You nod, tugging at your shirt collar with an itchy-nerve heat. You saw her. The small dryad with the gold-grass hair. Robed in white, witchly bright. Curved wooden sword-stick strapped to her belt, though it saw most of its use in supporting her walking, compromised by a spinal injury. Her eyes. One was as the Sun, gold gold gold, the other dead dark as night; a sign of corruption, from once upon a time.

How'd you know? This was the skinny of it. Aitvaras is your chibby bae. He's in the Town Watch. He's even been shown favor by the Watch founder, the Ranger, the Holy Emperor, which you both know was a constant from before and after the day it all went bright. What was love was to see him growing into the self-confidence and respect that was expected of him.

What was important was that it gave him access to thick-cut sloppy gossip.

It's evening, and you're visiting the north watchtower while he's on shift. It's another tourmaline night, tropic holy with the occasional sparse of cloudless misty rain. You're drinking coffee and eating boar cutlets. You've just found out that the mysterious new watchguard is a vampire; his name is Galen. You were just spying on one of his inner circle of friends, the sun-witch dryad who was the beloved and caretaker of the Giant of Light. You ask Aitvaras why in the world the Ranger thought it was chill to just let a vampire walk around.

"Well. She is a werewolf. If she can be that this long and I'm not dead, she probably vetted him. He has a magic bucket anyways."

You smile at the harpy, while he sips his coffee. He points a wing when it hits him that he didn't explain.

"The bucket fills with blood. It was made by his previous boss, some bearded skull sorcerer."

It's a sketchy paintjob, but it lines up with a lot of what you've gleaned as locksmith and active listener. He takes care of the Mouse of Sight, now. Seems the guard job is to help keep him sane and occupied, since the Mouse, as you can personally confirm, is a surrealist stress to have to deal with. The dryad and the Giant have the same dynamic, except the Giant was in a state of perpetual irregular twilight. Someone, somehow, had managed to convince her ultimate hostility to put her skills to work in fixing some salvaged solar panels.

The Bird and their ocean lamia partner didn't have that problem. The Bird was fine. The Bird was always smiling. The Singer? The Singer was holed up drunk alone in her little cubby apartment in the lifehome. The others went to see her though. Usually to drink. The dryad, the lamia, the vampire.

Aitvaras tells you, "They're all survivors of the Island."

You ask him if Galen has explained what that is yet. He shakes his head. "Most I can pick up is that it was going to be a really big new thing for the new world. Lot of people went. Something really bad happened, and Anidus never talked about it. I wasn't around long enough before coming here. I do know it had something to do with the deforming force."

He taps his face, feathers frilled with nerves. "Her eye. Something infested it. They all have something weird like that they keep hidden. She usually doesn't have it uncovered unless she's doing the precision work on the panels."

You run through your thoughts, of the life before and now. The mutations, the deformations, infinity in variety. Conceptual cancer. It's fascinating you because you never met a survivor of it. In the final days of the war, if it got you... you were already gone. Nobody had lived through it sane or bodied as they were before; they were descended.

That's what has you feel the cramp in your sides, the need to grab a winged hand. The walk. The walk of those gone to Megalith. They had found it in the river water, seen it with the ash storm skies, felt it with the neverending roar of the westward mountain thunderstorms, and spoken it with the Lords whose Megaliths sent those slow creeping ends. What exposure would they suffer? What happens when they can't compromise? How does army diplomacy convince? You didn't go to Camp, neither did Aitvaras. You didn't meet Dancer or Burner, and you didn't catch when Bleeder passed through Home on the one-year bonfire night. You've never sighted what's supposed to be Hunter streaking black in the sky, and you don't know the first thing about the rest. You don't want to. You never want to meet these people, and you dread the Psychic asking you what you think about them when you bring up this anxiety.

You just want your Mom to come back alive.

Grond
Mar 31, 2016
Huh. So the Errant was a vampire. And the emperor of heaven was a werewolf, guess that's why I thought she was related to Kaigen to some degree. And the Errant's boss was... the world king? That's wild.

I'm guessing the lamia and the dryad are the traitor and the coward.

quote:

How does army diplomacy convince? You didn't go to Camp, neither did Aitvaras. You didn't meet Dancer or Burner, and you didn't catch when Bleeder passed through Home on the one-year bonfire night. You've never sighted what's supposed to be Hunter streaking black in the sky, and you don't know the first thing about the rest.

So it seems that the Camp sequence really was in the past. It makes sense considering both ends usually have similar events occurring at the same time. But if that's the case... How was the sky tourmaline back then? Before the sunsplit? Maybe it was a special weather?

quote:

You run through your thoughts, of the life before and now. The mutations, the deformations, infinity in variety. Conceptual cancer. It's fascinating you because you never met a survivor of it. In the final days of the war, if it got you... you were already gone. Nobody had lived through it sane or bodied as they were before; they were descended.

So that's what the Island does. That's why the Singer had her bones turned into wood. Looks like it mutates people in certain ways, mostly killing them, but sometimes it grants them tremendous power as a side effect, such as what happened with the Lords. Mutation and self-replication. A cancer.

quote:

You ask him if Galen has explained what that is yet. He shakes his head. "Most I can pick up is that it was going to be a really big new thing for the new world. Lot of people went. Something really bad happened, and Anidus never talked about it. I wasn't around long enough before coming here. I do know it had something to do with the deforming force."

This reads to me like the Island was discovered by what would become Anidus. Looks like the former world shifted into what is now the dreamlands (the dream of the god) after people started loving with the Mythos powers, possibly in hopes of obtaining some sort of superweapon that would help them win the war (possibly the cold war gone hot?) That's why Kadath was visible in the final days, just as it is on the dreamlands. I'm guessing that they evacuated into this new world after the old world became uninhabitable. They tried to establish a colony on the Island, possibly wanting to study its powers, and what they brought back was mutation and death, mostly. The Lords, the cultists, the Giant of Light, the Bird of Night, and the Mouse of Sight, as well as the Singer, Errant, Traitor and Coward were probably part of that expeditionary force. And possibly the Miner? She was there when we spoke with the Singer.

quote:

You just want your Mom to come back alive.

I think the colonists are walking to the Bloody Megalith, just as we are. And if we manage to kill Bleeder, it's probable they will do it as well.

Grond fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Aug 14, 2021

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
This update makes so much about the Eidolons click for me.

First off, the 'corresponding Lord and Eidolon' mentioned a while back. There are the Mightiest Three as well as the three most beloved by the Island-Hunter and the Bird of Night(which is obvious), giant Moulder and the Giant of Light, and Doubler, who is associated with rats, and the Mouse of Sight.

Now we have a clear link with the other four lords and the other four eidolons. Dancer was already a thing, as she and the Singer have a huge amount of established parallels, but this introduction of a dryad who is a sun-witch clearly links up with Burner and the confirmation of the Errant as a vampire obviously fits with all the undead/blood stuff around Bleeder. Hider's cult liason is a lamia and she has the Ocean Megalith, so whatever's up with her the ocean lamia might well be her counterpart Eidolon. Exactly what the correlation is I have no idea.

Now I'm going to go out on a theorizing limb here and assign identities to the Lamia and the Dryad, because I think I can figure out who the Dryad is. This update confirms that the Giant of Light is a she and that she was partnered with our dryad here. Who the traitor betrayed hasn't been said, but the petal of the Flower of Ruin corresponding to them is 'Her Love and Her Hate' and the Traitor cannot bear to look at the Giant's shield. The possibility I'm thinking is that the dryad is the Traitor and somehow betrayed the Giant of Light, making the lamia the Coward.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I've been rewatching the Evangelion movies before I watch the final movie tomorrow, and I'm not sure whether this LP or that series has the more convoluted story at this point. I'm enjoying it, but I'm too dumb to piece together what's going on at this point. I'm going to enjoy the ride, let others explain the larger world building, and see if I can help steer our PC to a better end than what was predestined by fate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
I'm still waiting for the clutch moment when we Ctrl+F8.