Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

StrixNebulosa posted:

Alright, I can do this. I got into the Elder Scrolls last week or so in a serious way. I'd played Oblivion as a teen and goofed around with it but didn't really love it, then I played Skyrim on the Xbox 360 and didn't grok it either. I remember putting half an hour into Morrowind and hating it, which goes to show: teenage you may not have the taste to enjoy a game, no matter how good it is.

When my buddy got an Xbox the First in 2002 he got Morrowind and we played it for a couple of hours, said "hey this is cool", and then forgot about it for Halo or whatever. Years later when I picked up Morrowind for myself I realized it was the game we had played all those years ago and it was maybe the only video game I played for an entire year lol

Archaeology Hat posted:

Imo one of the better ways to play Oblivion is to make a character who mostly avoids combat through stealth, magic and acrobatics and then just not really level up much so the enemies don't get super damage spongy.

The Oblivion rule that I thought of way too late, and struggle too much to stick to, is to never enter a cave, ruin, or other interior dungeon unless directed there by name for a quest. Random dungeons almost never have loot good enough to make up for the time spent clearing them, at least not compared to bandit camps (easy to clear out, can sometimes find a good piece of gear or some potions) or Daedric shrines (mostly interesting quests, super good gear)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

StrixNebulosa posted:

Daggerfall: Got it working, slammed directly into the UI (it's bad, folks) and I'll have to spend time figuring out how to change the keybinds around to something less, uh, that. Also I'm wary of playing it as I hear it has a lot of time limits.

If you're playing the Unity version (you should be), turn on smaller dungeons.* I can't overemphasize how important that is. The time limits are generally pretty generous, just do one quest at a time and invest in a recall spell. Some people leave them at the dungeon entrance, I leave them at the quest giver. Its not necessary but it saves a lot of backtracking to find the dungeon exit once you've found the macguffin.

*In the ini file change scroll down to the experimental section and set smallerdungeons to true.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Why should I play the Unity version? I don’t want it modernized, I just want decent controls.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
In addition to the numerous improvements, which are subjective I suppose, the unity version patches several ridiculous and serious bugs. You do you, but I'd strongly agree to get the unity version.

Edit: the control options are much more robust in Unity.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

In addition to the numerous improvements, which are subjective I suppose, the unity version patches several ridiculous and serious bugs. You do you, but I'd strongly agree to get the unity version.

Edit: the control options are much more robust in Unity.

... I think I've made a mistake. Googling it now and it's not a remake, it's more of a source port? That's WAY more enticing. I've been picturing something like the System Shock 1 remake, which isn't what I want.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin

StrixNebulosa posted:

... I think I've made a mistake. Googling it now and it's not a remake, it's more of a source port? That's WAY more enticing. I've been picturing something like the System Shock 1 remake, which isn't what I want.

It's basically a straight upgrade in every way made painstakingly by a (team of?) Superfan (s?)

I grew up playing Dagger Fall, and this is basically the platonic ideal of Dagger Fall.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Duderclese posted:

It's basically a straight upgrade in every way made painstakingly by a (team of?) Superfan (s?)

I grew up playing Dagger Fall, and this is basically the platonic ideal of Dagger Fall.

That's awesome, I'm gonna check that out! Thanks, thread!

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

The Skyblivion team released a new development diary and the level of quality on display here is absolutely ridiculous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8Azgum0W7s

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

StrixNebulosa posted:

Yeah I completely agree with you on something like the system shock remake, playing the original has a lot of value then.

To play devils advocate for a moment here, the textures in the unity build are much higher res; go look at footage of each and you'll see what I mean. I'd still recommend the Unity version because, iirc, there are various bugs that will just make the OG not work as intended.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

If you want the OG experience try a few dungeons before turning on smaller dungeons, but I can't see a sane person/someone who doesn't have the dungeon blocks memorized (this counts as crazy too actually) not turning that on.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

ThaumPenguin posted:

The Skyblivion team released a new development diary and the level of quality on display here is absolutely ridiculous.

absolutely mad

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

ThaumPenguin posted:

This project is diverging from "oblivion in skyrim's engine" and into a "what if oblivion was made today", which is turning me off. I just wanted what I had but in a better engine and better graphics, not a reimagining.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Freakazoid_ posted:

This project is diverging from "oblivion in skyrim's engine" and into a "what if oblivion was made today", which is turning me off. I just wanted what I had but in a better engine and better graphics, not a reimagining.
Yeah, and it looks really ugly how it is now to boot. Not even Skyrim level. Also at this point it's just too late, it seems like people are forgetting Skyrim is rapidly approaching its tenth anniversary. It's already outdated. You'd just be remaking an outdated game on another largely outdated engine. What's the point?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The number one thing both this and the similar Morrowind project desperately need to do is, cut, cut, cut the scope and just get the thing out but, by the nature of the project, that will never happen and they will just project bloat forever and never finish. These mods will always be progressing but will never release.

Maybe if they switched to a series of individual modules that could theoretically (but not actually) combine when done (which will never happen).

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
It's one of the things I've always noted with modding teams. Eventually their egos start to take over and they start thinking "hmm, why don't we make this better?" It usually starts small.

Don't get me wrong; I don't have any issues with Skyblivion making the dungeons look better. Integrate Skyrim features like smithing and such into Oblivion and I'll probably prefer it to TES IV (in direct contrast to Skywind because there are a lot of mods in TES III that I do not want to miss out on, most notably Tamriel Rebuilt, Julan, Uvirith's Legacy, etc.).

The issue is it isn't a far jump from "let's make the dungeons look better" to "let's improve the storyline of the guilds." And that's where I start drawing my lines.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
I'm fine with them improving the looks of Oblivion because honestly it was very samey. I don't think they'll touch the guild quests too much because those are what makes Oblivion what it is. Except the Mages Guild quest line, that quest line sucked.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Daggerfall Unity questions, now that I've given it a go and died to a bat thanks to forgetting that you have to SWING your sword:

- How bad are the time limits? I heard there were time limits on the main quest and I don't want to screw myself over by taking too long somewhere.
- Anything OP that I should be aware of? Any classes to avoid? I'm planning to go either mage or assassin.

e: Wow, has the difficulty been cranked or something? Hitting the bat is REALLY tough, and then the demon thing in the side room killed me. I may have to turn off the advanced enemy AI or something.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Aug 12, 2021

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
One thing to know is that some enemies, such as that Imp you encountered, can only be affected by weapons of a certain quality. If you didn't start with a Steel or better weapon, you need to beat the Imp to death with your bare hands. Also you can choose to get an ebony dagger during character creation that is so much better than everything else you could possible get.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Running past the imp is totally viable. My advice would be don't think you're expected to kill something if you encounter it in the first dungeon, they hadn't invented that kind of common sense when Daggerfall came out.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

StrixNebulosa posted:

Daggerfall Unity questions, now that I've given it a go and died to a bat thanks to forgetting that you have to SWING your sword:

- How bad are the time limits? I heard there were time limits on the main quest and I don't want to screw myself over by taking too long somewhere.
- Anything OP that I should be aware of? Any classes to avoid? I'm planning to go either mage or assassin.

e: Wow, has the difficulty been cranked or something? Hitting the bat is REALLY tough, and then the demon thing in the side room killed me. I may have to turn off the advanced enemy AI or something.

The time limits aren't too bad--to be spoiler-light there's only one quest in particular where it can really be a problem and even then the answer is 'make sure you click reckless instead of cautious in your fast travel menu'--but for as cruel as Daggerfall can be about a lot of things, it'll always tell you when something has a time limit. Like, the game notoriously shuts you out of the main quest if you miss the time limit to meet its first NPC, but said NPC sends you a letter that explicitly spells out where they are and that they'll be there for a month, so as long as you're paying attention to what you're doing it's pretty hard to miss it.

Making your own class will almost always be better, but generally speaking, battlemage builds/classes are going to be the easiest to get through the game as for a beginner. Mage will be a lot easier for you to play than Assassin because a) there are situations in the game that are pretty hard to get through without knowing magic or having magic items and b) magic eventually becomes hilariously overpowered in basically every TES game ever made, but it is going to make you squishy, and as you've already seen from that Imp in the starter dungeon, it can be very easy to die.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

TheLoneStar posted:

You'd just be remaking an outdated game on another largely outdated engine. What's the point?
The point is to have fun while working on it. :shrug:

They're not making a product that they want to sell. Modding is a hobby.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

There's a setting in the unity menu to change the attack button to a simple right click.

Get recall and set teleport anchors at either quest givers or dungeon entrances.

Take restoration, potions are not particularly common or easy to make.

Check out a temples services before joining. Some don't offer potions or potion mixing, some do.

Have a save slot from before taking a quest and another one for before entering the dungeon.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

TheLoneStar posted:

Yeah, and it looks really ugly how it is now to boot. Not even Skyrim level. Also at this point it's just too late, it seems like people are forgetting Skyrim is rapidly approaching its tenth anniversary. It's already outdated. You'd just be remaking an outdated game on another largely outdated engine. What's the point?

skyrim is a good enough engine for what they want to do, presumably? people do cool stuff with old game engines all the time and nobody thinks their work is "outdated"

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I'm having a good time! :toot:

- I made my own custom class, aiming for long blades, restoration magic, and critical strikes.
- I don't have enough spellpoints to cast any of the starting spells, which is wild. I'll pump Intelligence I guess?
- I need to find the manual and read it :v:
- I have an ebony dagger, and used it to kill the imp AND the skeleton
- I got a quest to find gold bars for a merchant and while doing that I got the letter quest, and I did that and talked to the lady.

I'm probably doing everything wrong somehow, but I'm having fun poking around and talking to people.

That said, I miss the stealing system from Morrowind onwards - stealing and hearing HALT thanks to rng is not my jam, so I will sadly put away the lockpicks and make money the honest way.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpeettBUmF4

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Admiral Ray posted:

I'm fine with them improving the looks of Oblivion because honestly it was very samey. I don't think they'll touch the guild quests too much because those are what makes Oblivion what it is. Except the Mages Guild quest line, that quest line sucked.

Is the Fighter's Guild line any good? I'm apparently a member in my current save and I don't remember actually signing up with them. No one ever seems to talk about that quest line either.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm having a good time! :toot:

I'm probably doing everything wrong somehow, but I'm having fun poking around and talking to people.

Sounds like you're doing it right to me. Keep us updated on your game, its always fun to hear about someone's first playthrough

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

C-Euro posted:

Is the Fighter's Guild line any good? I'm apparently a member in my current save and I don't remember actually signing up with them. No one ever seems to talk about that quest line either.

IIRC it's fine, just not remarkable. That's why it's rarely discussed.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

C-Euro posted:

I actually thought it was really good. There’s some neat twists towards the end, I thought.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

C-Euro posted:

It's good, but not amazing overall. The end was very satisfying for me. The Dark Brotherhood gets all the hype for good reason and the Thieves Guild line is also excellent because it's based on you being an actual thief.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I was so crushed when I finished the thieves guild quest line in Skyrim. It was mostly just fighting stuff in dungeons.

Oblivion’s stealth system was kinda broken but drat some of those missions were cool.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

So I'm a longtime Skyrim player and decided to pick up Oblivion for the first time. I have been really surprised by how much better the story is. The plot, dialogue, and presentation – including the dialogue system itself – are just...better. More refined. Treats you like an adult.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

And guilds aren't just doing one or two quests before their leader suddenly croaks and you're appointed the new boss before even learning the layout of their headquarters.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
I enjoyed Oblivion enough to ask my wife to keep an eye out for the PS3 edition while she thrifts. Even considering the taterfolk, Sir Patrick Stewart voiced Uriel Septim and the story was actually quite good. Somehow I managed to enjoy the gates too.

I particularly like spellcrafting. Maybe it's because I come from Skyrim where there is no such mechanic, but overall it added to my experience. 'Course...maybe it also has something to do with the fact that when I played Skyrim on PC, I had to run it on low-low-low settings and manage 15-20 FPS - Oblivion, on the other hand, managed 40-60 FPS on high settings because the PC was a custom gaming box my dad built for me in '05 and upgraded in '06.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Morrowind is the Smash Bros. Melee of The Elder Scrolls.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Weird way of spelling Daggerfall imo :v:

e: The quest item is guarded by a lizardman who cannot be hurt by conventional weaponry. I... think I'm gonna have to grab and run

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 13, 2021

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Never played Morrowind but I'll probably play Skywind whenever it comes out.

Goddamn modding these games is tiresome. Who wants to spend a whole day loving around with this poo poo? Why doesn't someone just make an all in one downloader with a preset list of mods?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Just went through the most intense dungeon in Daggerfall yet: in this save I did all the questions and rolled an archer, so I've been trying to focus on archery and axes as my backup weapon. I made it out of the starting dungeon, went to town, found the mage's guild, and accepted a quest to get a scroll for a mage...

...and it sent me to a castle infested with giants. Who could basically kill me in one shot. Also orcs and orc sergeants, who can also kill me in 2-3 shots, unless I get really lucky with my swings.

I, an idiot, decided "gently caress it" and began to map the place, running past enemies, running AWAY from enemies, trying to get them to meet each other (orcs vs giants, giants win), and in general LOTS of saving and reloading as I went through one hell of an intense race for my life. I could almost never rest (not that it did anything as I'd still die easily), no corner was safe, and I leveled up my running/stealth/axe/medical skills a lot as I frantically did it.

And I did it. I actually found the drat scroll and then had to swan dive into the pit with the one elevator that would take me back to the exit, dodging giants until it carried me out of there, and then I had to recklessly return as the mage only gave me nine days to do it - AND I DID IT. HE THANKED ME.

He didn't give me any other reward except for a mage reputation boost so gently caress him, but AHAHA I DID IT. I would like to go back to playing level-appropriate dungeons if at all, and I'd love to find a store where I can BUY arrows as I have none, but that was an experience I really, really enjoyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

That bird ain't wrong.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Goddamn modding these games is tiresome. Who wants to spend a whole day loving around with this poo poo? Why doesn't someone just make an all in one downloader with a preset list of mods?

And neither is this goon. The main reason I haven't gone back to Morrowind is that I just don't have the energy to do a "proper" install. Even my current Oblivion install is from 2016 when I first got this computer and was all excited to do some serious gaming.