Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

AceOfFlames posted:

How can you do half those things with no money?

No see, I don’t have to pay rent

I still make money lol, I just don’t have to grind myself to the bone and can be choosy about what jobs I take and when

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1426229595754442752?s=19

:catstare:

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Nitis posted:

I've basically been on lockdown since July of last year. I did get vaxxed, though. However, I allow myself go the the bar on Thursdays for lunch, just to get out of the house once a week.

I found out today that, after I finished my lunch there yesterday and left, it closed down. 10 employees have tested positive for COVID.

Guess I'm really gonna quarantine for a couple weeks, now. drat the Delta.

Blargh.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Edit:nvm

AceOfFlames has issued a correction as of 20:15 on Aug 13, 2021

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

cool, this is freedom huh

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Shere posted:

It's a confluence of several things:

1) Contact tracing simply isn't happening in any consistent manner in the US. It comes down to each state to do it, and it's been widely reported as a failure for any number of reasons. We can't hire enough tracers, we aren't getting consistent responses. All of it is manual and self-reported in IL specifically - if you test positive you may get a call and they'll ask you to offer up details and that's all there is to it. The fact that they've only found 7 from out of state should immediately tell you that they're absolutely not contact tracing across state lines. All of the prior year data I can find on ratios of Local/Non-Local attendance are paywalled but it's definitely not 196:7.

2) The denominator of the figure the CPH Commissioner was throwing out is wrong. There's no duty-to-report your home test kit results, and there was no duty for every concert-goer to even get tested. They're simply not going to catch any asymptomatic carriers this way, at all. Saying it's 203 out of 400,000 is misleading because they didn't actually test all 400,000 people but rather a small fraction of that went for official testing because they were concerned. Many more just chalked it up to "Festival Flu", but given that we know Delta can be carried and transmitted by asymptomatic vaccinated people it would be intensely irresponsible for a Public Health Commissioner to solidly pin only the 203 cases we've found and properly traced as the end-all be-all of spread from the event because of all of the qualifiers on that number.

3) Lollapalooza-goers are self-interested in not tattling on themselves. There's a sampling bias at play where the type of person who went to a huge in-person concert in the middle of a pandemic is also the type of person who doesn't want to spoil this type of thing going-forward by their example. This is just speculation, of course, but not factoring it in would be foolish.

this is a good post and I stole it to use in an argument. thanks :)

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

My boss right now is arguing to a group of coworkers that the hospital should be shut down because that is where coivd spreads. Lmao

I'm listening to insanity. Ah well the air is sweet.

is this ur boss?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/13/cdc-covid-boosters-panel-recommends-extra-vaccine-doses-for-vulnerable-americans.html

quote:

CDC panel unanimously recommends Covid vaccine booster shots for vulnerable Americans

A key Centers for Disease Control and Prevention panel unanimously voted Friday to recommend booster shots of Pfizer’s or Moderna’s Covid-19 vaccines to immunocompromised Americans, clearing a major hurdle enabling vulnerable patients to get a third dose.

The decision by the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices follows the Food and Drug Administration’s approval Thursday of the booster shots for immunocompromised patients. The CDC, which has the final say, is expected to adopt the panel’s recommendation later Friday. With both agencies’ OK, booster doses could start being administered immediately.

lol poo poo libs will have their marching orders, boosters for 'vulnerable people' are OK and good now. they will memory hole all attacks against boosters

and now they get to quibble over and stack rank exactly what 'vulnerable people' mean, which is something libs loving love to do

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

Shageletic posted:

will someone tell me where this is from goddamit!!!

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt10222916/

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

Nice that you can know how to manage yourself.

I personally cannot take that sort of responsibility. I spent the whole past month almost doing nothing and nobody cares. I live in fear of getting fired because I am literally incapable of self discipline when I have no one watching. Entire days, weeks just melt away until I manage to do something once and a while. How do I stop this

lol every time i am like what the gently caress is this poo poo and glance up and to the left and i'm like drat HE GOT ME AGAIN!

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

open biden

Elea
Oct 10, 2012

smoobles posted:

I guess I don't understand why a CSPAM poster getting vaccinated is newsworthy??

https://twitter.com/AFPphoto/status/1426169163903553545?s=19

Maine had a long time woods hermit too and the funny detail I always remember was that he was an avid listener to Rush Limbaugh.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.us...g%3fcontext=amp

Just completely detached from society. Except for getting increasing infuriated from listening to Rush all day every day.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

DarkEuphoria posted:

No see, I don’t have to pay rent

I still make money lol, I just don’t have to grind myself to the bone and can be choosy about what jobs I take and when

how do you keep a collection of tchotchkies like beanie babies, disney world cups and mugs, or 1980s baseball cards ??? you know, the things america has been taught to cherish and preserve forever

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Biden and the "new + improved no Russiagate" CDC created the situation with things like gutting the mask mandate.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

feeling increasingly glad my wife got an outpatient procedure done this week that’ll keep her home for at least ~6 weeks

her chud office has been more or less ignoring covid since mid May 2020 and it sounds like the situation there has started to really deteriorate this week with entire groups being out now

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
nothing but stories about full hospitals on /r/coronavirus new posts

all from the same person, but still lol

Rubby
Aug 31, 2002

<3 Louby

mod sassinator posted:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/13/cdc-covid-boosters-panel-recommends-extra-vaccine-doses-for-vulnerable-americans.html

lol poo poo libs will have their marching orders, boosters for 'vulnerable people' are OK and good now. they will memory hole all attacks against boosters

and now they get to quibble over and stack rank exactly what 'vulnerable people' mean, which is something libs loving love to do

If you are invulnerable you should not get a booster shot, as per CDC

otherwise,

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

if we only had the money to improve things, but alas, we give $715 billion to the pentagon and dammit, they need it

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
drat the Delta.

Blargh.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

It's great that you have some self-reflection abilities.

I, however, want to thank you for your incessant rabid posts about how Biden is worse than Trump that constitute about 50% of this thread. As a token of my gratitude, please accept that I will allow you to vote for Trump in the next presidential election (not that you weren't going to do so anyway).

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

this post got 6 hours

quote:

This is one justification: you still trust the CDC.

The CDC currently recommends people NOT wear an N95 mask to protect themselves: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/about-face-coverings.html

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

this post got 1 day with 'placeholder' as the reason :lol:

criticizing biden is literally against the rules

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

mod sassinator posted:

nothing but stories about full hospitals on /r/coronavirus new posts

all from the same person, but still lol

Pretty sure that middle Tennessee hospital is in crossville. I did a lot of my rotations about an hour north of there.

So many of the patients I saw are almost certainly dead at this point.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
texas, the entire state, is at 96% ICU capacity used. that seems... bad

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/texas-covid-surge-icu-beds/

quote:

96% of ICU beds across Texas are full as COVID cases surge: "Some wait hours, some wait days"
cbs-this-morning

August 13, 2021 / 11:33 AM / CBS News

More than 90 percent of ICU beds across Texas are full as the Delta variant of the coronavirus spreads across the state. According to the Texas Department of Health, there are only 321 ICU beds left open for the 30 million people in the state.

In Houston, just 27 ICU beds are available. Overflow tents have been built at Lyndon B. Johnson Hospital to manage the overwhelming surge of patients.

"The ICUs are full. Every bed is accounted for, and in fact, we have patients waiting in our emergency center for ICU beds to open up... Some wait hours, some wait days, to be frank," Dr. Kunal Sharma, Chief of Emergency Services at LBJ Hospital, told CBS News' Janet Shamlian.

300 ICU beds left for 30 million people... hope you don't have a car accident, heart attack, or other emergency

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

empty whippet box posted:

this post got 6 hours

dont worry the mod came in and informed people they werent allowed to talk about probations anymore

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

this post got 6 hours

i can buy ffp2 or kn95 respirators literally anywhere here, there are so loving many of them. they litter the streets like cigarette butts. is there actually a shortage of n95s in the usa? like can you not just pick one up from the local 7-11 or whatever?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

IAMKOREA posted:

i can buy ffp2 or kn95 respirators literally anywhere here, there are so loving many of them. they litter the streets like cigarette butts. is there actually a shortage of n95s in the usa? like can you not just pick one up from the local 7-11 or whatever?

I have never seen one for sale in person before personally, but cloth masks are pretty readily available basically everywhere. k95s though? no way

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

this post got 6 hours

Imagine trusting any government institution.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

wow someone needs some therapy

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

I have never seen one for sale in person before personally, but cloth masks are pretty readily available basically everywhere. k95s though? no way

that's crazy. not even at like CVS or walgreens? kn95/ffp2 has been mandatory here for what feels like almost a year though, thank god.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

the worship of the cdc is just insane

even if you were willing to believe they were acting in good faith (lol) they're not loving infallible

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer

Applebee's patrons in reply like 'you better believe this is going to effect your tip!!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

IAMKOREA posted:

that's crazy. not even at like CVS or walgreens? kn95/ffp2 has been mandatory here for what feels like almost a year though, thank god.

The only places I've ever seen anything more than cloth or surgical masks is hardware stores.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

I feel very bad for anyone in local government or on a school board. I don't know how they don't all just resign en masse.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

IAMKOREA posted:

They started mandating masks at my office iN cErTaIn SiTuAtIoNs and everyone wears cloth masks. Back in spring 2020 the CDC was telling people that anything else is just for medical professionals and if you use anything more heavy duty than that you're stealing from doctors and nurses. It's seems to have stuck around ever since.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Thoguh posted:

The only places I've ever seen anything more than cloth or surgical masks is hardware stores.

man that's crazy, even in the loving balkans this summer i had no problem getting ffp2 masks from any pharmacy

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

SporkOfTruth posted:

🎶K-P-N-G🎶
Crack-Ping Radio

https://soundcloud.com/captainviolence/kpng-news/s-iJ9yzKtvwQg

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

i get my kn95s from my buddy who works at verizon. you don't see them being sold in public too much

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

IAMKOREA posted:

There was a shortage for a minute at the very beginning of the pandemic, but for the last year or so, you can just walk into a hardware store and they are usually in stock. But yeah, you have to go out of your way to find them

gremlins two
Aug 14, 2019

Marlow posted:

I have absorbed a context based understanding of what crack ping means but I'm still unsure of the origin and it's intended meaning, and it's so late into the thread that I've been afraid to ask.

from what i remember (ha), it's onomatopoeia for the sound glass makes when it's first hit (like a pebble kicked up into your car window), and then the "ping" is the little noise it makes when the chip in your windshield expands spiderweb-like. our brains are impacted by a constant stream of terrible information, and on initial impact it forms a little "crack" in our psyche. when we fully understand what this information means -- and it's so much worse than we thought -- we "ping".

i think. i have had some head injuries.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
loving ridiculous how the media is covering full hospitals right now. look at them spinning it as "full hospitals are only a red state / bad governor problem... not a concern for you! open biden!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
man i should get some pics of like a packed tram here for you guys, it's beautiful, every single person wearing a kn95.