Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i say swears online posted:

i get it. south park, family guy and bob's burgers at least have an aesthetic. lots of this new stuff is car-rental-tier animation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TvG1q__Zx4

despite looking super similar to this i cant help but like this portion of this music video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgOu00Mf3kI&t=126s

because its symbolic for youthful adventure as it exists in memory and is intended to contrast with the live action and 3d animated portions of the video that have a much more ambivalent outlook

i think the popularity of this style is supposed to be a similar sort of nostalgic bong hit for millennials although its probably just super cheap to make with the nostalgia quality being an unintended bonus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

its probably just super cheap to make

yeah this is the real reason, same as tom and jerry backgrounds seventy years ago

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

yeah this is the real reason, same as tom and jerry backgrounds seventy years ago

good animation is just good at hiding this kind of thing

legitimately cannot recommend 'keep your hands off eizouken' nearly enough if you're interested in animation as a medium, i really adore it

elaboration has issued a correction as of 04:36 on Aug 13, 2021

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Are the animation scenes in Kill Bill bad or good?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

Are the animation scenes in Kill Bill bad or good?

I think they're okay but Tarantino is a deeply divisive figure, it seems. Mostly dude just needs to leave his foot fetish on the cutting room floor and stop saying the drat N-word.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

lol, tarantino should and is putting more feet into each consecutive film and god bless him for it

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

erin esurance was hot

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Tubgoat posted:

I think they're okay but Tarantino is a deeply divisive figure, it seems. Mostly dude just needs to leave his foot fetish on the cutting room floor and stop saying the drat N-word.
Also OUATIH revealed he has deeply hosed up beliefs about Bruce Lee and martial arts in general

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The United States posted:

Also OUATIH revealed he has deeply hosed up beliefs about Bruce Lee and martial arts in general

Citation needed

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Citation needed

I just rewatched it with someone who hadnt seen it before and it's a harsh scene. It's based on a real anecdote, sure, but the retelling changes the outcome from "Bruce Lee spent the next year learning grapples and becoming friends with the guy who wrecked him on set" to "Bruce Lee is arrogant, encourages guy to get himself fired, learns nothing"

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

every box checked, good job netflix

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I really need to cancel my netflix sub

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/Collider/status/1425900948422119425?s=20

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Anyone said "C.I.Gay." yet?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

all jazz hands on deck

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
What on earth

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

lmao. lol.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Citation needed

also he talks in a bunch of interviews about how a lot of stunt men didn’t talk to him much but doesn’t acknowledge that the fact that they were all white might have played into it 🤔

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I guess most people don't immediately recoil when they hear Pinkerton, but why not just call her the first modern female detective? This is bankrolled by Securitas, isn't it?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I guess most people don't immediately recoil when they hear Pinkerton, but why not just call her the first modern female detective? This is bankrolled by Securitas, isn't it?

well her husband’s on company payroll so she’s just trying to get on the gravy train

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Citation needed
https://www.indiewire.com/2021/06/tarantino-bruce-lee-hollywood-scene-critics-1234647709/

"It’s in the book, when Bruce realizes Cliff is taking a military combat stance, he realizes Cliff is a killer."

It's me, I'm the mythical military combat stance lol

Also Tarantino has Bruce claim he could take on Muhammed Ali which is nonsense, Bruce absolutely respected how strong a fighter Muhammed Ali was, so like I said, hosed up beliefs about Bruce Lee and martial arts in general.

Spangly A posted:

I just rewatched it with someone who hadnt seen it before and it's a harsh scene. It's based on a real anecdote, sure, but the retelling changes the outcome from "Bruce Lee spent the next year learning grapples and becoming friends with the guy who wrecked him on set" to "Bruce Lee is arrogant, encourages guy to get himself fired, learns nothing"

indigi posted:

also he talks in a bunch of interviews about how a lot of stunt men didn’t talk to him much but doesn’t acknowledge that the fact that they were all white might have played into it 🤔
The stuntman feud was real but probably due to Bruce not adjusting to the differences between how stuntmen worked in Hong Kong and America, as in Hong Kong they can take some hits and they will also hit you a bit too and you just gotta roll with it, but in America they really avoid contact altogether as much as possible.

And yeah the dude who grappled Bruce and carried him around the set was awesome and a black belt master himself, plus it led to Bruce asking him to teach him grappling so he could add it to Jeet Kune Do in exchange for Bruce teaching him his kicking techniques is a great story and better than whatever was going on in the movie.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

The stuntman feud was real

it absolutely was, but to act like racism didn’t play a part in it is asinine

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

indigi posted:

well her husband’s on company payroll so she’s just trying to get on the gravy train

Lmao. I forgot about that. OK, everything makes sense here.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Tubgoat posted:

I agree with all of that, the foot fetish at this point is the least of his problems. Or not even a problem at all, kink shaming is real but he's pretty obnoxious about it. And yea, he's divisive and is it compounded by adding Japanese style animation to his Japanophile movie?? Or is it good enough not to matter and be considered a loving homage. Fwiw I thought the animation was pretty good when I saw it ~20 years ago or whatever.

Other animation that I remember for no reason is Pearl Jam's Do The Evolution video animated by Kevin Altieri from Batman: TAS and Todd McFarlane. Its message seems to be all creatures from dinosaurs to humans are inherently violent, which also manifests as slavery, imperialism, corporate greed, and worker exploitation, which is bad but also looks cool. Also there's a sexy women.

McFarlane also did Korn's Freak On A Leash, which might be a better song than I remember and also a worse video. It's fairly tame, is only like 1 minute of animation, and doesn't really delivery the ACAB message I was hoping for.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Oh no, Tarantino might besmirch the honour of anime

My pearls are clutched

Miss Lonelyhearts has issued a correction as of 17:02 on Aug 13, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

I agree with all of that, the foot fetish at this point is the least of his problems. Or not even a problem at all, kink shaming is real but he's pretty obnoxious about it. And yea, he's divisive and is it compounded by adding Japanese style animation to his Japanophile movie?? Or is it good enough not to matter and be considered a loving homage.

Oh no, Tarantino might besmirch the honour of anime

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

tarantino was also buddy-buddy with david carradine, one of the dudes responsible for stealing bruce lee's show, which adds a more sinister shade to the mischaracterization of the stunt man incident.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
The Kill Bill animation was actually done by Production IG

http://www.productionig.com/contents/works_sp/25_/

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

They already did this, the Pinkertons sponsored a tv show called literally "The Pinkertons"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pinkertons

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

heard an interview with Tarentino where he said that one time when he was 12 his mom said his writing was bad and he vowed never to give her any money he made from his writing and he proudly said he’s never given her a cent. seems like a great guy

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds

indigi posted:

heard an interview with Tarentino where he said that one time when he was 12 his mom said his writing was bad and he vowed never to give her any money he made from his writing and he proudly said he’s never given her a cent. seems like a great guy

His mom was right and is still right

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Also Tarantino has Bruce claim he could take on Muhammed Ali which is nonsense, Bruce absolutely respected how strong a fighter Muhammed Ali was, so like I said, hosed up beliefs about Bruce Lee and martial arts in general.

There's an anecdote from Robert Clouse (the guy who directed Enter the Dragon) who said that Lee once screened a documentary on Ali to study his technique in front of a mirror, and he said at the time, supposedly -

quote:

"'I’m studying every move he makes. I’m getting to know how he thinks and moves.’ Bruce knew he could never win a fight against Ali. ‘Look at my hand,’ he said. ‘That’s a little Chinese hand. He’d kill me!’”

Lee started his career in street fights in Hong Kong, he knew exactly what the size difference between them would mean. Ali had like 100 pounds and almost a foot of height over him.

I mostly liked Once Upon a Time but the representation of Lee as a giant rear end in a top hat really annoyed me.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

every actual fighter on the planet takes weight classes seriously, it's just not discussed much in popular culture because who wants to know that the worst heavyweight boxer would wipe the floor with the champion featherweight

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

GIRL BRAINS posted:

she’s at least right about his dialogue

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

every actual fighter on the planet takes weight classes seriously, it's just not discussed much in popular culture because who wants to know that the worst heavyweight boxer would wipe the floor with the champion featherweight

I think another reason it’s not discussed much is cause you want to believe Catwonan or Black Widow wouldn’t get btfo by a random street thug (I include myself in this)

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

GIRL BRAINS posted:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I’ll say he’s a much better director than he is writer. but I don’t think he’s awful at writing even though I don’t love his movies really

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/gynoidprincess/status/1426205421447094275?s=20

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

That rules and wow they really did some work to make him look creepier on screen. he’s pretty normal looking

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

So, Archer but extremely poo poo huh

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Spuckuk posted:

So, Archer but extremely equally poo poo huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU