Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
"I have too many clamps, and I always have so many good options and know exactly where the clamp I need is when doing a project" - Nobody

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

canyoneer posted:

"I have too many clamps, and I always have so many good options and know exactly where the clamp I need is when doing a project" - Nobody

Clamps are the one thing I will 100% buy every single time at a yard sale.

...still don't have enough some how

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

:mad:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
poo poo, one of the first things I taught my daughter when she was starting to legitimately help on projects was "how many clamps do we need?" "One more than we have."

Always buy every clamp.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

All
Clamps
Are
Beautiful

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

stealie72 posted:

poo poo, one of the first things I taught my daughter when she was starting to legitimately help on projects was "how many clamps do we need?" "One more than we have."

Always buy every clamp.

This..
CorrectClampNumber=Owned_clamps+1

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I cut the handles off all my c-clamps a while back and welded nuts to the shafts. Best tool mod ever!

I still need more clamps though.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Johnny Truant posted:

All
Clamps
Are
Beautiful

They aren't, though. Some knockoffs are refried garbanzo. I used to do remodels and had a few jobs where the clients had lots of 1/2" and 3/4" black pipe for gas they wanted removed. So I obliged. Nothing like having an 8' clamp handy when you need one.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I sometimes have enough clamps but they are always too big and heavy and cumbersome. I want like, some titanium clamps or something instead of big honkin' iron pipe and cast steel.

Mr. Mambold posted:

They aren't, though. Some knockoffs are refried garbanzo. I used to do remodels and had a few jobs where the clients had lots of 1/2" and 3/4" black pipe for gas they wanted removed. So I obliged. Nothing like having an 8' clamp handy when you need one.
Yeah the C-clamps with the real fine thread are some hot poo poo. The ones with real big Acme thread are the one true c-clamp.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Anything but those loving "quick-grip" style shits. Never had one that reliably lasted more than a year.

Also if you ever need some 6' long bar clamps DO NOT get the cheapos from harbor freight. They are extra trash.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Literally A Person posted:

Anything but those loving "quick-grip" style shits. Never had one that reliably lasted more than a year.

Also if you ever need some 6' long bar clamps DO NOT get the cheapos from harbor freight. They are extra trash.

Like the Irwin Quick Grip ones? I use those and the DeWalt equivalents all the time, never had a problem with them. They're a little bulkier than F-style clamps so sometimes they're less than ideal to get in a tight spot, but otherwise they're great.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Dewalt sold some really heavy ones that rocked but I can't find them anymore:

E: maybe I'm a moron and they just changed the color, lol
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-12-in-600-lb-Trigger-Clamp-w-3-75-in-Throat-Depth-DWHT83185/204988146

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

more falafel please posted:

Like the Irwin Quick Grip ones? I use those and the DeWalt equivalents all the time, never had a problem with them. They're a little bulkier than F-style clamps so sometimes they're less than ideal to get in a tight spot, but otherwise they're great.

Totally the Irwin ones. Maybe I'm just cranking on them too hard but now both the ones I have slip every time I use them. I still use them because clamps but still.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Hahaha I'm honoured by the thread title change.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Is there a reliable way to tell good quality old Craftsman stuff from newer stuff?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Danhenge posted:

Is there a reliable way to tell good quality old Craftsman stuff from newer stuff?

Besides construction quality a quick Google of the model number usually gives you a look at a user manual which tends to have a year printed in it.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Speaking of clamps, how do ya'll clean the teeth of your clamps after glue-ups? Heat gun?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Speaking of clamps, how do ya'll clean the teeth of your clamps after glue-ups? Heat gun?

Screwdriver because I suck or methodically picking it with my fingers like a meth addict.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

My clamps don’t have teeth? Usually the glue just pops off, especially when I think to oil the screw threads. If I was smarter I would wax all my clamps and make it even easier but :effort:

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

My clamps don’t have teeth? Usually the glue just pops off, especially when I think to oil the screw threads. If I was smarter I would wax all my clamps and make it even easier but :effort:

I have a bunch of parallel clamps that have little teeth (like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0742BTGY...parallel-clamps) and I'm a messy glue-up-er, so the glue drips into those teeth and is a pain to get out when it dries.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

I have a bunch of parallel clamps that have little teeth (like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0742BTGY...parallel-clamps) and I'm a messy glue-up-er, so the glue drips into those teeth and is a pain to get out when it dries.

put some saran wrap between the clamp and the wood?

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Heat gun and some moisture to soften the glue, then just pick at it.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
wrap the clamps in painters tape

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Literally A Person posted:

Totally the Irwin ones. Maybe I'm just cranking on them too hard but now both the ones I have slip every time I use them. I still use them because clamps but still.

You must have milked a lot of cows to get a grip strong enough to ruin one of those. They're not made for 300# pressure, but hardly anything needs that.

loving hell those are pricey. Yeah, what he said, masking tape. Hell, 18" how sloppy can you get?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I don't know if it would works so well for a barrier between the glue and metal, but if you're looking just to lub the threads, try dry graphite spray.
Something like this poo poo: http://www.jigaloo.ca/lubricant/3-graphite-extreme.html

I use it on ratcheting load binders for tying heavy equipment down in the back of my work trucks.
Its dry so it doesn't pick up poo poo.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I'd suggest packing tape rather than masking tape. Masking is papery so glue would probably stick to it whereas packing tape doesn't let the glue stick.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

That does look like a pain! Packing tape is probably best as recommended above. Nothing sticks to waxed packing tape.

I mostly use pipe clamps and and just whack the part that moves with a mallet until it knocks the glue off the pipe :shrug:

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

That does look like a pain! Packing tape is probably best as recommended above. Nothing sticks to waxed packing tape.

I mostly use pipe clamps and and just whack the part that moves with a mallet until it knocks the glue off the pipe :shrug:

I typically leave an inch or so gap to where the boards are centered with the center of the clamp itself. That tells the glued up panel to stay straight, although I suppose the pipe itself should do the same thing as a straightedge. The deadblow I use to even up joints.

Bonus: squeezeout is much easier to scrape while it's setting up, if I'm a mind to.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Mr. Mambold posted:

You must have milked a lot of cows to get a grip strong enough to ruin one of those. They're not made for 300# pressure, but hardly anything needs that.

loving hell those are pricey. Yeah, what he said, masking tape. Hell, 18" how sloppy can you get?

I have the 36" ones. They do work awesome. I also have some pipe clamps, but I need more.

Thanks for the suggestions all. I will try the heat gun and pick approach, and the wax paper for prevention next time.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

tater_salad posted:

This..
CorrectClampNumber=Owned_clamps+1

So my dad is building a boat. One visit, I pull in the driveway and see he's working on something in the garage. He's got these strips of wood that are becoming curved roof ribs all laid out. One of them was clamped to this bending jig with about 80 spring clamps.

I commented on how many clamps he had. He wisely points out that if he had more clamps, he could make two ribs at a time.

Sous Videodrome
Apr 9, 2020

tangy yet delightful posted:

Good luck, please update with how the warranty goes (and how long is the warranty?). Presumably not being able to replace the hose is a big weak point to a $190 hose reel - at least for me hoses are always being pieces of poo poo and I'd hate for the hose to fail on something like that.

edit: at least I assume you can't replace the hose if you can't open it up to re-seat the hose in the reeling mechanism

The warranty is 2 years. They asked me to take a short video of the hose not retracting and they say they are sending me a new product. So I'll see if they do.

It's great when it works, but the fact that pulling the hose to it's full extension irrevocably breaks the unit is a bit of a design flaw. I wonder if there's a heavy duty/industrial product that would be a more durable option.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Sous Videodrome posted:

The warranty is 2 years. They asked me to take a short video of the hose not retracting and they say they are sending me a new product. So I'll see if they do.

It's great when it works, but the fact that pulling the hose to it's full extension irrevocably breaks the unit is a bit of a design flaw. I wonder if there's a heavy duty/industrial product that would be a more durable option.

Coxreel. $$$, though.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Sous Videodrome posted:

Not self-retracting, but I got pissed at the lovely plastic hose reels and bought one of these - https://www.eleyhosereels.com/products/portable-garden-hose-reel-cart

Seems good so far after several years.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker
I'm not sure if this should go here or in the woodworking thread, but I have two newbie questions:

I want to buy a jigsaw. I've done research and I've found some qualities I like, and narrowed it down a bit, but I'm stuck on the biggest obvious decision: D handle or barrel grip. The benefits of the barrel grip are appealing, but the biggest thing holding me back is the use of an on/off switch rather than a trigger. I like the variable speed trigger in my drills, and the ability to just let go to stop it sounds very nice, especially with a saw like this. Has anyone who's actually used the barrel grip found the switch to cause any issues or headaches compared to a trigger? I'm basically looking at two equivalent saws from the same manufacturer, so almost all features are the same besides the shape; are there any other considerations I should make when deciding between D-handle and barrel?

I figure I should also get a sawhorse or two. Is there any significant difference between cheap sawhorses that come in a pack of two for around :20bux: vs a single one for $60?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

pseudorandom posted:

I'm not sure if this should go here or in the woodworking thread, but I have two newbie questions:

I want to buy a jigsaw. I've done research and I've found some qualities I like, and narrowed it down a bit, but I'm stuck on the biggest obvious decision: D handle or barrel grip. The benefits of the barrel grip are appealing, but the biggest thing holding me back is the use of an on/off switch rather than a trigger. I like the variable speed trigger in my drills, and the ability to just let go to stop it sounds very nice, especially with a saw like this. Has anyone who's actually used the barrel grip found the switch to cause any issues or headaches compared to a trigger? I'm basically looking at two equivalent saws from the same manufacturer, so almost all features are the same besides the shape; are there any other considerations I should make when deciding between D-handle and barrel?

I figure I should also get a sawhorse or two. Is there any significant difference between cheap sawhorses that come in a pack of two for around :20bux: vs a single one for $60?

I have the Milwaukee M18 barrel handle jigsaw and I like it. The switch is right on the side so it's not too hard to turn on and off in my opinion. I feel like I have a lot more control over it than I did when I used older D-handle saws, but also it's so much more powerful than the older ones I used, it might just be that it's more controllable because it cuts better.

As for saw horses I'd get the cheap plastic ones because that way you can cut through the saw horse and the wood and not have to worry about damaging the saw or the horse.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

I’ve used a set of HF plastic sawhorses for 10 years now. No issues except for the number of slices I’ve cut out of them. They’re still sturdy.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

On the other hand the Paul Sellers wooden sawhorses are cheap to build and a good fun practice project and they work really well too.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I watched a guy on YouTube modify an angle grinder (or really its guard) into a power file, then looked up what commercial products are out there because a grinder's guard seems like an ill-advised choice for a mounting point.

Anyway, I know that Amazon is the wild west of fly-by-night toolmakers, but I've never seen something quite so DIY for sale:

moter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Trabant posted:

I watched a guy on YouTube modify an angle grinder (or really its guard) into a power file, then looked up what commercial products are out there because a grinder's guard seems like an ill-advised choice for a mounting point.

Anyway, I know that Amazon is the wild west of fly-by-night toolmakers, but I've never seen something quite so DIY for sale:

moter

$50 bucks for that electric hand injury? I woulda gone for it at $20 just for the hell of it