Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

No, for a spell chrome would install itself in app data if it was ran without admin privileges. Dunno if it still works

Ouch. I think I'll let those users tell on themselves in this case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING

Arishtat posted:

It sounds like Windows Update isn't able to gracefully suspend BitLocker, but is proceeding with the update which then pisses off the TPM's integrity check and results in the 'Inaccessible Boot Device' BSOD. There are a couple of ways to deal with this but how you go about it depends on the capabilities of the client's network infrastructure. For a small client your best bet would be to schedule Windows Updates and push a pre-update script which suspends BitLocker temporarily, runs the update(s), and then a post script which re-enables BitLocker.

When you say 'decrypt' are you going through a full decrypt cycle or just unlocking the volume, running chkdsk and then rebooting it? You should only have to do the latter to clear the BSOD error.

The devices need fully decrypting for this to happen. Interestingly, it's only my clients who run a mortgage pricing program that have this problem. Although it makes no sense to me that it would affect windows update, it seemingly is.

I am advising them to manually suspend Bitlocker from control panel at the moment.

The client just uses share point, so unless I can get them on intune or similar, I don't have GPO or easy management for scripts and update scheduling. There might be a way to do this via local policy though, so I'll investigate

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Does anyone know if it's possible to get SQL Server to authenticate against RADIUS? Every single blog post online talks about getting RADIUS to log to SQL, which is absolutely not what I want. Which implies that the answer is no, it's not possible.

But it might be?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I don't think so. The only 2 authentication modes I'm aware of are Windows Authentication and SQL Authentication. No way I'm aware of to point MS SQL at anything else.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I can't find anything either, and it doesn't look like SQL Server has any concept of pluggable authentication modules or such. You either supply a login/password for SQL Server Authentication, or you supply a Kerberos ticket for Windows Authentication.
Now, you could perhaps find something that can supply you a Kerberos ticket via Radius authentication, but that does of course add another step.

Caf
May 21, 2004

I'm King James! The Lion King!

Toshimo posted:

I don't know if this is sort of too narrow for this thread, but I'm setting up an SCCM application with a requirement that Chrome be present on the targets, so I set it up via Global Condition. However, the basic Global conditions only allow for checking a single file, and we've got an environment where Chrome could be in the x86 or regular Program Files directories. I have the choice whether to set up a single Global Condition with a short PowerShell script to check both places, or to set up 3 standard conditions, 1 for each location and 1 that checks the existential presence of the other two. I feel like the latter is easier to follow for less-technical folks following and is the least likely to ever encounter an issue later on if things change, but the former doesn't clutter up the console with 3 conditions for 1 app. Is there a Best Practice for this sort of thing? Does one make more logical sense than the other?

When you set multiple application requirements they are taken as AND statements and all need to be true for the install to proceed so you can't put three mutually exclusive conditions on the same app. You'll need a create one based on the results of a script that checks all the possibilities. Or maybe query the registry or WMI looking for the install.

And remember, when you use a script for a global condition or detection method it considers any standard output as successful so you need to do proper error checking and only have some Write-Host output for exactly what you're looking for.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Caf posted:

When you set multiple application requirements they are taken as AND statements and all need to be true for the install to proceed so you can't put three mutually exclusive conditions on the same app. You'll need a create one based on the results of a script that checks all the possibilities. Or maybe query the registry or WMI looking for the install.

And remember, when you use a script for a global condition or detection method it considers any standard output as successful so you need to do proper error checking and only have some Write-Host output for exactly what you're looking for.

I don't follow this at all. The solution I went with was:
  1. Global Condition that checks for presence of Chrome.exe in Program Files
  2. Global Condition that checks for presence of Chrome.exe in Program Files (x86)
  3. Global Condition that has (1) and (2) as existential rules with an OR connector.

Not using any script whatsoever. I opted for this because the underlying PowerShell inside the application is only going to check those 2 places for what it's doing anyway, so any non-standard installs aren't going to work. I'd rather have people tell on themselves if they've got some weird config and can't see the installer in Software Center, than let them try to install and fail.

It worked through all our testing, so I don't see any reason it would fail in PROD, but I guess we'll find out on Saturday.

Caf
May 21, 2004

I'm King James! The Lion King!
If condition #3 is the only one that is actually assigned to the application as a requirement then that will work fine. I'm just saying that if you tried to set both 1 and 2 as requirements it wouldn't work because you can't set them as OR statements (and I have seen people try to do that and not understand why their app won't install on any device). And if you only care about those two explicit locations then your method is fine but that wouldn't fly at my place and I would need to script detection of Chrome wherever it happened to be installed.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Caf posted:

If condition #3 is the only one that is actually assigned to the application as a requirement then that will work fine. I'm just saying that if you tried to set both 1 and 2 as requirements it wouldn't work because you can't set them as OR statements (and I have seen people try to do that and not understand why their app won't install on any device). And if you only care about those two explicit locations then your method is fine but that wouldn't fly at my place and I would need to script detection of Chrome wherever it happened to be installed.

Yeah, I've only got condition #3 assigned to the application.

And, I guess, it's very much a philosophical stance on how we treat the user devices. We just don't support non-standard configurations for most stuff, because it would be a nightmare to deal with at that scale. So, either you are using the approved Chrome application deployment, or you don't get serviced.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What are some options for pushing HEVC/HEIF or whatever compatibility out? (Apple image format)

Apparently downloading the HEIF codec from the Windows store doesn't help, and HEVC is 99 cents.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Kinda hesitant to reply, but, any luck with the "HEVC Video Extensions from Device Manufacturer?" free one on the MSFT Store?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Tapedump posted:

Kinda hesitant to reply, but, any luck with the "HEVC Video Extensions from Device Manufacturer?" free one on the MSFT Store?

Microsoft seems like they broke/killed that somehow towards the end of last year I think?

Hopefully the new store fixes this, because specifically this HEIC/HEVC thing is a giant pain in the rear end in the current model where things require microsoft accounts, etc. etc.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Bob Morales posted:

What are some options for pushing HEVC/HEIF or whatever compatibility out? (Apple image format)

Apparently downloading the HEIF codec from the Windows store doesn't help, and HEVC is 99 cents.

Also looking for an answer on this.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Maneki Neko posted:

Microsoft seems like they broke/killed that somehow towards the end of last year I think?

Hopefully the new store fixes this, because specifically this HEIC/HEVC thing is a giant pain in the rear end in the current model where things require microsoft accounts, etc. etc.

It's still there, you just need a key from one of the partnered manufacturers to download it now. If you find a copy of the .appx you can sideload it, and it will still update through the store.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
OK, I don't mess with Windows Server much at all anymore, but do the latest releases that omit a year ONLY come in a Core installation to add a GUI to later?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
The Semi-Annual Channel (that's the official name for those releases) doesn't support a GUI period. They're also only supported for 18 months, so they're intended for a fairly specific use case which is totally different from the Long Term Servicing Channel releases.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

The Semi-Annual Channel for Windows Server is also being discontinued with Server 2022 so it’s probably not worth it to look into using it

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Aha, thank you. So really, it's Server 2019 that's the primary "full featured' release, and it's getting a proper replacment with 2022? What a weird detour this other business was, then.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

AlternateAccount posted:

Aha, thank you. So really, it's Server 2019 that's the primary "full featured' release, and it's getting a proper replacment with 2022? What a weird detour this other business was, then.

That's right. 2016, 2019, and the upcoming 2022 are the LTSC versions of Windows Server. The other ones were part of an attempt to use Windows Server for some sort of container stuff and I don't think it caught on enough for them to continue. Windows Server container images are still going to be a thing, but they will be based off 2022 going forward. I think that they are trying to move the Windows Server container stuff to Azure now, where they can manage the updates and such.

Those other versions had all sorts of rules like they could only run server core, or something they called Nano Server. Like the other poster said, they had very narrow use cases.

e: for reference in terms of Widows Server to Windows 10 feature set mapping:

Server 2016 = Windows 10 1607 LTSC
Server 2019 = Windows 10 1809 LTSC
Server 2022 = Windows 10 21H2 LTSC (supposedly)

This is mostly useful to know what the UI looks like and such. Avoid 2016 like the plague if you can since it has the Windows 10 1607 updates servicing which is extremely slow.

Number19 fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Aug 13, 2021

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

Microsoft recently announced that there will also be a Windows 11 LTSC... In a couple years. I guess it makes since with the current LTSC schedule since W11 is a continuation of W10.

LTSC 2019 and earlier can't install Windows Terminal and some of the newer server management tools. Hopefully they'll be supported in LTSC 2021. Microsoft has also repeatedly warned that some Office 365 features won't work on LTSC builds, but to my knowledge that's never actually happened.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
You don't want to install LTSC branches on desktops, the official word is that Windows 10 LTSC is for, like, aircraft control computers. I think there are some technical limitations why certain apps won't work on LTSC, but also I think it's a ploy by Microsoft (that I happen to agree with) to make LTSC as painful to use as possible, otherwise every enterprise would just install LTSC and do big fleet-wide upgrades every 5 years like they did with XP/Vista/7/8/ etc instead of sticking with the rolling releases.

But that's just on the desktop side, servers, vast majority are LTSC, and the SAC failed to take off so much that they're just ditching it entirely apparently.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

Eh, I know that's what Microsoft says but I think the use case for desktop LTSC is a bit broader than that. I use it for kiosks, locked down exam PCs, and some student labs where I still need to set up thick images with tons of specialized software. Never had any issues with it in those cases.

I agree that it shouldn't be used for workstations or general purpose PC labs. I did have it briefly installed on my gaming PC just to see what using it on a home machine would be like. I switched back to the continuous branch a month later because Game Pass came out for W10 and most the games wouldn't run on anything older than 1903.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
LTSC on desktops works 100% fine. The only real issue is that sometimes CPU support can lag.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You can now remove passwords from Microsoft accounts:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/azure-active-directory-identity/introducing-password-removal-for-microsoft-accounts/ba-p/2747280

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Here’s a fun one.

We have an employee with the surname “Null.”

When his name syncs to AD from another system, AD dutifully marks it down as the variable $null and empties the field.

Then everything that syncs from AD onward…welp.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Neat

I don’t think that’s AD itself doing that though.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

The Fool posted:

Neat

I don’t think that’s AD itself doing that though.

I’m sure it’s tied into some integration not passing values around properly, but it’s not my problem to fix. I’m just enjoying being an observer on the ticket comments.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Those are the best kinds of problems.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Here’s a fun one.

We have an employee with the surname “Null.”

When his name syncs to AD from another system, AD dutifully marks it down as the variable $null and empties the field.

Then everything that syncs from AD onward…welp.
This is my favorite article about the subject of names: https://www.kalzumeus.com/2010/06/17/falsehoods-programmers-believe-about-names/

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I don't care, we had someone who's email was shart@company.com and it always made me laugh.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Someone here is pushing for a second NIC in every Windows server (virtual or physical), for management purposes

So if you wanted to run RDP, WMI, etc you'd use NIC #2 and IP address #2

The normal user functions for that server like file or print service or whatever that server is for, would go through NIC #1

How terrible of an idea is this? I can't find any upsides.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

what the gently caress? why?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

big "i removed all the whitespace from our codebase" energy

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Potato Salad posted:

what the gently caress? why?

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Sounds like someone heard of a management vlan but didn’t quite get it

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

So a compromised machine can bridge between your management and production networks? Cool

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

wyoak posted:

Sounds like someone heard of a management vlan but didn’t quite get it

Basically

My reply was WE HAVE A FIREWALL LETS USE IT

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Mix up government requirements, consultants, and people who don't know how networks work, and what do you get!?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I mean having a second NIC for redundancy isn't the worst but, yeah, just for management purposes is stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah but a second virtual nic doesn’t make any sense.