Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Harrow posted:

Is it at least keeping the install size down for consoles when they get rid of zones/older content like that, or is it still ballooning like CoD does?

It got significantly smaller. Bungie also switched to a new file format with Beyond Light that helped with this.

Apparently COD games have duplicate data to speed up load times, particularly for PS4/X1, but it’s a waste of space on the SSD consoles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Oxyclean posted:

Is it?

Cause like, who else does that besides like, Fortnite?

Also, at least WoW replaced the content with something roughly equivalent and improved in some ways. Bungie removes like 4 planets, several campaigns and multiple activites, and is like "here's cosmodrome, I guess" before giving up and not even finishing that.

Guild Wars 2, off of the top of my head. I know there are others but I can't for the life of me remember them.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kith posted:

Guild Wars 2, off of the top of my head. I know there are others but I can't for the life of me remember them.

GW2's first season of "Living World" content was temporary but that was very, very poorly received so they stopped from season 2 onward and everything's permanent.

That said, Genshin Impact is probably headed in the direction of vaulting content, though nobody really wants to think about that yet. The majority of the game's playerbase, globally, plays on phones (and proportionally mobile players also spend more on the game than PC or Playstation players), and the game is already getting big enough that some older devices can't fit it anymore. Eventually they're going to have to start vaulting parts of the game, which is a real shame for a game that's all about having a big open world to explore.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 13, 2021

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

'Light' represents the protection of biodiversity and an end state of peace, an end to conflict. 'Dark' represents the culling of anything that is inefficient, it represents war as a path to perfecting the final shape.

What's interesting about Savathûn is that if she does rely on biodiversity, she also needs the biodiversity to be at odds with each other, but without wiping each other out. So she cannot fully align with the light, because she needs for there to be some conflict, in order to be that unanswerable question / unsolveable problem.

But equally if that conflict reaches it's logical conclusion of the two sides warring until one is gone, and the universe gets to its final shape via war and the winnowing, she hits the problem you described as well because the one perfect entity at the end of everything is powerful enough to achieve consensus and then she dies before they do.

Really she needs there to be elements of both war and peace with neither winning, and a race that accepts and tolerates internal conflict within its own nature. Something like the crucible is probably absolutely fascinating to her as a kind of managed conflict in that respect, a game of war but where the combatants are never culled out of existence. Instead of achieving sword logic by winnowing, the losers learn from their mistakes and become better in their next attempt.

Savathun: "Turns out, poo poo be like this out here, and it just is what it is."

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
I just want to say, that Lakshmi's death is like, the dictionary definition of the "I am a genius! Oh no!!" meme

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I already posted earlier that it’s a little embarrassing how thick Bungie has been laying it on with the “Osiris is Savathun” thing this season so I cracked the gently caress up when Lakshmi went “Osiris has taught me to control the Vex WWWAAAUUUUUGHHH”

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Pirate Jet posted:

I already posted earlier that it’s a little embarrassing how thick Bungie has been laying it on with the “Osiris is Savathun” thing this season so I cracked the gently caress up when Lakshmi went “Osiris has taught me to control the Vex WWWAAAUUUUUGHHH”
The first time I completed the quaria expunge it opened with a line from Osiris saying something like 'You infiltrated the Vex network and did a bunch of other impressive poo poo, seems like I underestimated you. [inception horn] I won't make that mistake again.'

Maybe that's just their idea of subtle though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The first time I completed the quaria expunge it opened with a line from Osiris saying something like 'You infiltrated the Vex network and did a bunch of other impressive poo poo, seems like I underestimated you. [inception horn] I won't make that mistake again.'

Maybe that's just their idea of subtle though.

To be fair, every time Osiris does it he usually gets owned in every possible simulation and respawns a universe killer or something (or just respawns it himself on purpose), so it's pretty impressive that you don't

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Streamers are receiving a music box from Bungie with "survive the truth" written on it

You may recall that tagline from a certain pastebin

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

life_source posted:

But also lmfao at "become better in their next attempt" have you seen how trash people are at the pvp in any game??? some people are incapable of improving

>:O

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Streamers are receiving a music box from Bungie with "survive the truth" written on it

Survive the Truth was confirmed as WQ’s tag line before the pastebin leak.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Pirate Jet posted:

Survive the Truth was confirmed as WQ’s tag line before the pastebin leak.

Is it even confirmed now?? I figured it was just the name of their Aug 24 event, since destiny expos don't usually have subtitles..

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Pirate Jet posted:

oh, is this where the story's going? i haven't read any spoilers/leaks so this is kind of surprising to me but also im an idiot who doesnt put a lot of critical thinking into games lore and also i haven't read the lore books from this season because i didn't do the triumphs to unlock all of them and was trying to avoid anything that'd spoil the big cutscene that launched this week

(i assume ishtar collective doesn't have any leaked stuff, but it does have time-gated lore that could the spoil season story, right? which i guess isn't an issue as of this week??)

also is this all of the season lore in one place, or is there anything missing or, like, a suggested reading order: https://www.ishtar-collective.net/releases/season-of-the-splicer/entries

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Aug 13, 2021

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Speaking of Graviton Forfeit getting buffed, Xur’s selling a great roll this week

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
the osiris being savathun in disguise thing is almost too obvious now i don't know if they're gonna play it that way. In all honesty the poo poo he's doing isn't out of character per se

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

He's 5D chess playing everybody and Crow is actually savathun.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I don't read Lore but I was under the impression there was one that went live this week and was leaked ages ago that confirmed Osiris was full of worms

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
yo these lore entries whip https://www.ishtar-collective.net/entries/celestine-robes-majestic

the end, no moral!

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

That was tweeted out before the leak

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
ooo this motivated me to revisit ol' friend pastebin and it looks like the IB pulse is an adaptive solar and the sidearm is a Stasis :hellyeah:

This is based on nothing, but I just have a gut feeling we're getting Scorn Champions next season. The champion mods scream "Hive, Taken, and Scorn Strikes", to me

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

abraham linksys posted:

oh, is this where the story's going? i haven't read any spoilers/leaks so this is kind of surprising to me but also im an idiot who doesnt put a lot of critical thinking into games lore and also i haven't read the lore books from this season because i didn't do the triumphs to unlock all of them and was trying to avoid anything that'd spoil the big cutscene that launched this week

(i assume ishtar collective doesn't have any leaked stuff, but it does have time-gated lore that could the spoil season story, right? which i guess isn't an issue as of this week??)

also is this all of the season lore in one place, or is there anything missing or, like, a suggested reading order: https://www.ishtar-collective.net/releases/season-of-the-splicer/entries

Yeah, one of the whole story threads of Season of the Splicer is that Osiris has been acting mad suspicious. Listen to his threatening lines at the end of practically every Override or Expunge.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

RBX posted:

He's 5D chess playing everybody and Crow is actually savathun.
Everyone was excited back when he started whistling savathûn's song, but then some of the frames started humming it as well.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

This is based on nothing, but I just have a gut feeling we're getting Scorn Champions next season. The champion mods scream "Hive, Taken, and Scorn Strikes", to me

I misread this as Screeb Champions and really want that to be true instead.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

life_source posted:

I misread this as Screeb Champions and really want that to be true instead.

My fingers can't be any more crossed!!

I imagine Scorn would be another Unstoppable & Overload faction a la the Taken. Unstoppable for the Abomination guys, Overload for the Basically-Captains

(plus anti-barrier Screebs)

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

My fingers can't be any more crossed!!

I imagine Scorn would be another Unstoppable & Overload faction a la the Taken. Unstoppable for the Abomination guys, Overload for the Basically-Captains

(plus anti-barrier Screebs)

Imagining Overload-speed turret spam from those champs and weeping.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
OK, let's workshop this a bit.

Barrier turret dudes so we don't have 15 turrets on the field at all times. Overload dualwielding torch mace guys, and Unstoppable Screebs.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I'm seeing a lot of ideas here, and I'm thinking, "I like this"

Bonus LOL is going to be when they add these Champs to master Presage

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Oh wow!!! The leak that came days after that line came out via official Bungie stuff?!?!?!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Bideo James posted:

Oh wow!!! The leak that came days after that line came out via official Bungie stuff?!?!?!

Yup! Don't read it if you don't want spoilers

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Osiris is mad sus, and is def. influenced/compromised/working with Savathun, but literally having been replaced is stupid as hell, in both the bad writing way (makes anything with Osiris from year 4 completely meaningless since it wasn't him) and also not even supported by the current lore (Sav does have a human-ish meat body disguise, but it seems to be horrifying and incomplete, she's also very weak right now. She can use hive/worm mind magic to slink around the city, but I rather doubt she can completely impersonate Osiris to his close friends/companions over a long period of time).

yeah I know what the leaks say, it's still stupid, I hope they're wrong or misinterpreting this aspect

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
well is savathn isn't inhabiting the skin of osiris, where is she?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

muike posted:

well is savathn isn't inhabiting the skin of osiris, where is she?

I've got bad news about old Eva, dear

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
what if it turned out she was fenchurch. the drama!

life_source
May 11, 2008

This shows that Savathûn's body is mad messed up and is only able to continue skulking around because she uses her majyck to convince people it's not. Meanwhile Osiris just hung out in the Bazaar yelling regular Osiris things.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
She'd want to take the form of someone with access to the tower's inner circle. Trusted, but unnoticed. Loose fitting clothing is also a must, to keep that big ol' bag of worms hidden

And of course she'd have no idea how to blend in and would out herself as a deranged weirdo immediately

You just never quit, do you?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

She'd want to take the form of someone with access to the tower's inner circle. Trusted, but unnoticed. Loose fitting clothing is also a must, to keep that big ol' bag of worms hidden

Ah, so it's Xur, then

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I kind of want to play Destiny 2 again but every time I see an update it looks like a pain in the rear end (transmog especially)

Is Destiny 2 good right now? Did PVP get dedicated servers yet?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Agoat posted:

I kind of want to play Destiny 2 again but every time I see an update it looks like a pain in the rear end (transmog especially)

Is Destiny 2 good right now? Did PVP get dedicated servers yet?

RE: pvp servers: No, and most of the PVP maps that used to exist have been removed from the game. PVP is increasingly a third-or-fourth class citizen in Destiny 2.

Whether it is "good" or not seems to depend entirely on the whims of PVE players.

I will say that as a primarily PVP-oriented player, the recent sandbox changes have not encouraged me to play the game more, and the upcoming sandbox changes have the potential to encourage me to play even less.

Also, cheats are widely used with no apparent penalty in PVP, especially in competitive modes.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The removal of half the maps was a huge mistake, but this was probably my 2nd favorite season of D2 for pvp. Next season should be even better with the planned sandbox changes

I have a bit of a bias here in that I can play Survival or Trials and know I won't see any cheaters, but I'm told anti-cheat is a big priority for next season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

but I'm told anti-cheat is a big priority for next season

????? by who ????