Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Oh thank god, an “important message” tweet that isn’t a delay. My heart stopped for a second.

Technically there was a delay but it’s just for the remakes of the first two games (which are mostly just a graphical update anyway so I’m not too disappointed by that).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Yeah I’m not really worried about the remasters, they’ll happen when they happen and could probably use some more time anyway.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Especially given the trailer we got (though to be fair the screenshots on the Steam page for the game look much better so I’m assuming said trailer was from an early build)

Looking forward to the Wavelengths trailer tomorrow and I hope the episode is a bit more involved than just being Steph sitting in a radio booth the whole time

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Larryb posted:

Especially given the trailer we got (though to be fair the screenshots on the Steam page for the game look much better so I’m assuming said trailer was from an early build)

Looking forward to the Wavelengths trailer tomorrow and I hope the episode is a bit more involved than just being Steph sitting in a radio booth the whole time

The text descriptions also implied another connection to Arcadia Bay besides Steph, so probably another BtS original character showing up either in a VA or quick appearance. The D&D references would strongly imply that it'll be Mikey.

The timeline for the series as a whole, since it's all connected, is going to be weird if they have to keep asking bay or bae as it's now chronically 9 years since that ending and 6 years since game release. They need some kind of finality on that tale and move onto in-universe but not Arcadia Bay linked stories.

The remasters go a long way to introducing new fans to the original magic, especially the new console releases, but mining the remnants of Arcadia Bay is not a viable long term strategy. The one sided conversation in LiS2 with David talking to Chloe and Max in the Bae ending was probably the only way to handle it well, and that's not even getting into how there were different VAs for the same characters in the LiS1 games.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

True, chronologically TC takes place in 2019 with Wavelengths occurring like a year or so earlier. Though if we do get a bay or bae choice at the beginning again it might be cool if Bae timeline Steph met up with Chloe again at some point.

But yeah, unless they make another game specifically set there it’s probably better to start phasing out Arcadia Bay entirely as things go on since we’re now just about caught up to present day as far as the timeline goes.

On that note, I wonder if there will be any reference to LiS2 in this somehow apart from one of the bonus outfits (like a newspaper clipping or a cameo by one of that game’s side characters or something)

Though there is a way they could integrate the ending choice at the beginning into the gameplay. The game apparently opens with Alex talking to her therapist so maybe they could talk about current events with the latter asking Alex what she remembers (thereby letting you set your path via your choices in that segment)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I think LiS2 will get some kind of mention in True Colors. Maybe not as overtly as the Arcadia Bay saga, but definitely not completely washed over like some people are predicting. Deck Nine have mentioned LiS2 in their interviews and there's no indication that they're totally unwilling to touch it. They seem to care a lot about preserving continuity across all the games, whether originated through Dontnod or themselves.

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 12, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Though I’m curious as to how considering the more personal nature of that story (also the fact that there are 4 possible endings in LiS2, one of which having 3 different versions depending on choices made during the game’s third episode).

Like I said, I think our best bet is either some kind of news article you can read (on top of being fugitives the boys leave a path of destruction in their wake in almost every episode except the second one, some of that poo poo was bound to make the news at some point) or at most a cameo appearance by a member of that game’s supporting cast.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 12, 2021

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
LiS2 improved significantly on making the game feel more like the culmination of many choices and not just 1 at the end, but that also makes it way harder to really give any connection or specific follow up beyond "that craziness down by the border"

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

Like I said, I think our best bet is either some kind of news article you can read (on top of being fugitives the boys leave a path of destruction in their wake in almost every episode except the second one, some of that poo poo was bound to make the news at some point) or at most a cameo appearance by a member of that game’s supporting cast.

Captain Spirit had this newspaper article revealing that there have been protests and riots due to the police mishandling of the case. It would have been cool if this stuff had actually mattered in the game itself.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SimonChris posted:

Captain Spirit had this newspaper article revealing that there have been protests and riots due to the police mishandling of the case. It would have been cool if this stuff had actually mattered in the game itself.

Come to think of it, do we even hear much about those in LiS2 proper (I think Lyla might say something but I could be wrong)? Obviously didn’t accomplish jackshit in any case

Speaking of Captain Spirit, I like that the game contains a reference to every LiS2 episode except I think the last one:

Episode 1: The aforementioned article

Episode 2: The point where CS chronologically takes place

Episode 3: An email on your dad’s computer talking about train hopping teens

Episode 4: You get a call from Lisbeth’s church early on

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm hype to be sad again.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also if Farewell and Captain Spirit have taught us anything, be prepared for an emotional gutpunch or two during Wavelengths as well

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, here’s the trailer:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=HQgP6oo8OdU

Mikey’s back as expected

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Larryb posted:

Mikey’s back as expected

Wonder why they keep mentioning a 'friend' without using their name or even pronouns? I mean, we know Mikey's back, so no need to keep that secret, so who could it be? Someone else from Arcadia Bay? The big twist would be Max (since she's after all around in both timelines, maybe she makes contact at some point via Chloe (whether personally in the Bae ending or reaching out to her friends after she dies in the Bay ending). Or they're going all-in on Bae as canon and Chloe's back.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yvonmukluk posted:

Wonder why they keep mentioning a 'friend' without using their name or even pronouns? I mean, we know Mikey's back, so no need to keep that secret, so who could it be? Someone else from Arcadia Bay? The big twist would be Max (since she's after all around in both timelines, maybe she makes contact at some point via Chloe (whether personally in the Bae ending or reaching out to her friends after she dies in the Bay ending). Or they're going all-in on Bae as canon and Chloe's back.

I’d be down for a Chloe cameo honestly (preferably with Ashly Burch returning but her BtS actress wasn’t bad either) and Max would be cool too (she recently met Steph in the comics but I’m not sure how canon those are supposed to be), we’ll see I guess

Unless they find a really good soundalike nobody should be allowed to play Max except Hannah though

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 12, 2021

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Larryb posted:

Mikey’s back as expected

It's definitely got more of a weird, experimental vibe where the emphasis is on the music and the soundtrack. It's a good sign they're trying something in a different direction other then dramatic misery simulator (or not...) for a side story. There's a lot of potential for single episode one-offs for main cast when you have a fully completed game like True Colors where all the assets are available for use.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

pentyne posted:

It's definitely got more of a weird, experimental vibe where the emphasis is on the music and the soundtrack. It's a good sign they're trying something in a different direction other then dramatic misery simulator (or not...) for a side story. There's a lot of potential for single episode one-offs for main cast when you have a fully completed game like True Colors where all the assets are available for use.

After two “lighter” episodes that still ended in misery (Farewell and Captain Spirit to an extent), I don’t trust them not to pull something similar here.

It looks a bit more involved than I was expecting at least so I’m still looking forward to this (and the main game) regardless.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I completely missed the news about the prequel DLC, I'm hype as gently caress

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I love that Steph's first canonical action in the booth is kicking out that Portugal the Man poo poo and putting Local Natives back on. Life is Strange is back, baby!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I love that Steph's first canonical action in the booth is kicking out that Portugal the Man poo poo and putting Local Natives back on. Life is Strange is back, baby!

Speaking of, Feel It Still is the second song in the franchise I’d heard before it appeared in a Life is Strange game (the first being Youth by Daughter).

Also Steph looks good without her beanie and it’s nice to see the tradition of LiS characters wearing flannel shirts has been upheld.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
They seem to be really going all-in on a character who had, what, 10 or 15 lines in BtS?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

General Dog posted:

They seem to be really going all-in on a character who had, what, 10 or 15 lines in BtS?

Yes, and lots of people liked her so therefore they made her a major character this time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Steph has a lot of screentime in BTS depending on how long you stay for the D&D game in Episode 1 and the outcome of giving Damon the money in Episode 3. She’s also been a fan favorite for awhile and was probably a Deck Nine OC from whatever original project they pitched to Square before getting looped into Life is Strange. It’s easy to see why she’s popular given the proclivities of this fandom toward nerdy and WLW content. Her voice actress has also been really involved with the community and does a lot of streams with costars and Deck Nine peeps.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

General Dog posted:

The DnD content which was completely optional was probably like 30 minutes of content in episode 1 and then another huge chunk of time in episode 3(?)

If you didn't engage with that then Steph and Mikey are like set dressing, like Victoria or Nathan just there for a real small amount to make it feel connected to the original.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
So Angus and Julia Stone just announced a new album called "Life is Strange". The announcement is a little odd.

Angus and Julia Stone posted:

We weren’t on track to make a record together but life had other plans for us. We were asked to write songs for an xbox game 🎮!! and ended up with a record of songs we love!

I mean it's obvious which game these are / were meant for. But not a word about any sort of tie in or if this is a soundtrack of any kind.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

This is really cool news, if somewhat unexpected. I thought Novo Amor would be scoring the new OST and there was no mention of Angus & Julia Stone when True Colors was first announced. I think it might be a situation like Daughter in BTS where they're supplying some originals, some background music, and some previously licensed tracks.

For those who are unaware, Angus & Julia Stone wrote "Santa Monica Dream" which was one of the more iconic pieces in LiS1.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It’s cool they seem to be bringing back some old artists from the original for TC (I don’t believe any of them returned for LiS2 and BtS was like 90% Daughter songs).

Come to think of it, did LiS2 have any lyrical tracks written explicitly for the game the way the previous entries did?

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!
Are the Titan LiS comics worth reading?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I've read the first 3 volumes and I like them as a kind of companion piece to the original. The plot moves very slowly and it doesn't really have a strong narrative hook, but the artwork and imagery are really well-done.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

WonkyBob posted:

Are the Titan LiS comics worth reading?

I like them well enough. The current Max and Chloe story that’s been going on since the beginning finally comes to a close in just two more issues, after that the comic is continuing but they seem to be switching gears (to what exactly we’re still not sure of yet).

They also managed to turn Victoria Chase into a genuinely likable character so I have to give them some credit at least.

The entire series up to now is available digitally on Comixology if you’re interested (physical copies are also available for purchase either online or at certain retailers).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 16, 2021

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!
Thanks folks, I'll grab the first collection (looks to be 1-4) and if I dig it I'll hopefully be finishing it just as the last part is released. Can't believe they've made readers wait over two years for the ending.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Here's a 13-minute trailer of official gameplay for True Colors. I myself will not be looking too intently because I want to keep the experience fresh, but I did see Suzu the cat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCx-j4hrwpA

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Moment of calm with a new track by Angus & Julia Stone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcVjZRYJnTI

You can listen to their entire album here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeyufjoyI2o

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The soundtrack being so forgetable and mediocre in LiS2 was honestly one of the biggest issues I had with the game (and you all know my long list of problems I have with that game). This is a decent start to getting that back on track.

I'm pretty hyped on this, not going to lie. I was fully ready for LiS to just be a dead franchise after the sequel.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, TC definitely looks like a return to form for the series in a lot of ways (and this is coming from someone who liked LiS2).

Still kind of curious how the semi-open world aspect they seem to be going for here is going to work (and the whole aspect of Alex literally being able to enter people’s mind palaces at some points sort of reminds me of Twin Mirror).

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm actually not looking at this new trailer, I want to discover the game on my own this time.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Moment of calm with a new track by Angus & Julia Stone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcVjZRYJnTI

You can listen to their entire album here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeyufjoyI2o

I love this :allears: I love the music choices with the mix Pacific Northwest looking places. I have no idea if this is even IN the Pacific Northewest, it could be somewhere more east for all I know, but I live in Florida and hate every second of it and hate the flat ugly land and lovely ugly palm trees and and unending miserable wet heat and poo poo, so there's a sense of :unsmith: in these games taking place in a part of the US I would much rather live in.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Macaluso posted:

I love this :allears: I love the music choices with the mix Pacific Northwest looking places. I have no idea if this is even IN the Pacific Northewest, it could be somewhere more east for all I know, but I live in Florida and hate every second of it and hate the flat ugly land and lovely ugly palm trees and and unending miserable wet heat and poo poo, so there's a sense of :unsmith: in these games taking place in a part of the US I would much rather live in.

I mean, we know where the game is set. But I suppose you probably dont want to be spoiled if you havent read enough to know that alraedy.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Paul Zuvella posted:

I mean, we know where the game is set. But I suppose you probably dont want to be spoiled if you havent read enough to know that alraedy.

I don't care about being spoiled on where it's being set. I just don't remember where they said

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The game takes place in the fictional town of Haven Springs, Colorado. So more Mountain West than PNW. But close enough.