Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I change rigging often enough that I just kept mono on my little black max combo I use pretty much exclusively for bass. On my other spinning setups I use braid w fluoro leaders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I was trying to be economical so that's why I did it, but now that it's caused a headache it's not worth it. If I chuck the mono I'd have to chuck the braid since it's probably too short to be the only line on there.

I'll look at the FG knot for now.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
If you have so little braid that you're getting into your mono backing on a cast (or when a fish is pulling drag) you have way too little braid (and probably too much backing).

I tie braid straight to the spool with no backing or tape. This video shows you how to do it: an arbor knot followed by a series of half hitches. This prevents you from getting down to the backing (because there is none), and if you want to repurpose that braid down the road (by putting it on another reel, for example), you have a longer stretch of braid to make use of.

FG knot is great and I use it a lot for leaders but a well-tied double uni should do fine on spinning gear. I know a lot of people use an Alberto knot for leaders with good results. Try using a small dab of super glue to keep your knots and tag ends intact.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

bewbies posted:

Me, lately: :homebrew:

Got what I think is gonna be a great bote:

Is an '89 champion fish 'n ski pushed by a Johnson GT175. Was a classic "old guy" boat that was babied and minimally used and so everything about it looks brand new. It came with a brand new Ultrex TM; I put a Helix 7 graph on the console plus the guy already had a cheapo Garmin on the bow.

Naturally I had to get a new rod also. I've never owned a nice bass setup; got St Croix Mojo with an Abu Garcia Revo SX doing the baitcasting. I wanted to get it wet today but didn't have the time to get it set up, and anyway we had a huge storm last night so nothing would've been biting anyway.

I hosed up one thing; I didn't realize you needed a fancier Ultrex than the one installed in order to integrate with the Helix, so that's a stupid expensive upgrade to make. Otherwise ran everything through its paces today and the whole setup is super smooth.

Anyway I'm pretty pumped, the boat runs like an absolute unit and is great setup for fishing

is me:

I am literally doing this right now.

Unless you're using some kind of ridiculously expensive braid that stuff is cheap enough now it hardly seems worth it to do a backing. I think I've bought like one $16 spool of braided line this year.

Sweet boat, congratulations!

I have definitely had braid slip on the spool of reels that weren't braid-ready so i use a mono backer on any reel that doesn't have some rubber nubs on it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I despise braid. I hate the way you have to spool it, I hate the way it digs in on itself if you backlash, pull out a snag, fight a heavy fish. I only use it on my catfish rods and that might change the next time I need to switch. I am this close to just using 20 pound floro and calling it a day. gently caress braid now and forever.

Mono and floro forever. Mono is cheap and I love to use it in situations where going cheap is more safe (river fishing, backwoods hiking, etc). Floro while expensive, just casts better than anything else and is really abrasion resistant. I buy floro in 1k spools and look for it when its on sale.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I use braid on all my reels and have never had any of those issues tbh

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Easychair Bootson posted:

If you have so little braid that you're getting into your mono backing on a cast (or when a fish is pulling drag) you have way too little braid (and probably too much backing).

I tie braid straight to the spool with no backing or tape. This video shows you how to do it: an arbor knot followed by a series of half hitches. This prevents you from getting down to the backing (because there is none), and if you want to repurpose that braid down the road (by putting it on another reel, for example), you have a longer stretch of braid to make use of.

FG knot is great and I use it a lot for leaders but a well-tied double uni should do fine on spinning gear. I know a lot of people use an Alberto knot for leaders with good results. Try using a small dab of super glue to keep your knots and tag ends intact.

Yeah I mentioned that I'm not really getting to the knot on the cast, the knot has just maneuvered it's way up to the surface. I'd still have to pull out what looks like a large amount of line to actually see that mono-braid knot make its way up the rod.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.

KingKapalone posted:

I have a spinning reel with mono on first which is tied to braid using a double uni knot. It's probably about half and half. Now after a few outings my cast will stop because the line is catching the snipped part of the uni knot. It's not because all the braid is going out, but because the knot has wormed it's way from deeper in the spool out to where it catches. I've trimmed the excess as much as I can and I've tried to cram the knot deeper, but it always resurfaces soon after.

Do I just unspool all the line and then reel it back up and hope it stays deeper?

I prefer to fish braid to a short leader of mono, like 2-4 feet or so. The mono will give you some necessary stretch and also abrasion resistance. Braid does not handle abrasions very well. The FG knot that was recommended above is very good but I personally don't like tying it, I do the Alberto knot. Much easier to tie for me and it's almost as strong and small as the FG.

https://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/alberto-knot

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

gay picnic defence posted:

same. 12 lb braid on my spinning reel casts like a dream and is amazing for feeling subtle strikes and sensing what's on bottom when jigging.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

All this talk of braid...I bought a new catfish rig with a wonderful Abu Garcia Ambassador and spooled it with braid for the first time. Took it out and thought the drag was broken and I was getting pissed, lo and behold apparently your need to spool braid different than mono. I had no drat clue and I hope I just didn't waste $15 in braid.

Edit: managed to figure it out, I despooled the braid onto a empty line spool, using a drill for speed. I put a 14 lb test mono backer attached my braid via a double uni knot and everything is golden.

Rythe fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 14, 2021

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

same except for ultralights

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

KingKapalone posted:

Yeah I mentioned that I'm not really getting to the knot on the cast, the knot has just maneuvered it's way up to the surface. I'd still have to pull out what looks like a large amount of line to actually see that mono-braid knot make its way up the rod.

Gotcha, my mistake. I jumped to that conclusion because I’ve done it before I got away from using a mono backer.

Like joem83 I’m a fan of braid to a mono leader for the reasons he mentioned, plus you’re not losing braid length every time you tie a new lure on. A 6’ leader lasts several trips. I’ll use fluoro leaders for super finesse-y stuff or if I need a line that will get the bait deeper in the water column.

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

N-thing this. Granted I normally use spincast reels like a weirdo but braid is so much easier for all the logs and sharp rocks around here. I haven’t lost a lure or snapped my line in years and can literally reel my canoe to the snag if I have to. Only time I switch to mono is for salmon on a fly rod

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

joem83 posted:

I prefer to fish braid to a short leader of mono, like 2-4 feet or so. The mono will give you some necessary stretch and also abrasion resistance. Braid does not handle abrasions very well. The FG knot that was recommended above is very good but I personally don't like tying it, I do the Alberto knot. Much easier to tie for me and it's almost as strong and small as the FG.

https://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/alberto-knot

This is the correct knot for braid to Fluoro. The first time you clank a fat knot through a rod guide, you'll thank me.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Farking Bastage posted:

This is the correct knot for braid to Fluoro. The first time you clank a fat knot through a rod guide, you'll thank me.

It’s what I use also. Uni to Uni cost me a few saltwater lures grenading themselves on guides.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I also use braid on everything with flouro leaders and never have any issues. The one issue I did have was that I overfilled a spinning bobbin and heavy tackle would cause it to fly off and nest up. Chopping some yardage off fixed that right up, and it was no fault but my own. With heavier flouro/braid on my saltwater stuff, sometimes the uni-knot will 'tick' as it passes through the smallest eye on the tip, but it doesn't snag.

e; for California folks, September 4th is free fishing day, so if you've got any buddies that you want to take out without a license, your chance is soon!

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

The time that i had my braid slip it was only tied on the spool with a single arbor knot and i was pulling pretty hard on a snag.

You do kind of have to work at it in order to make it an issue but i still back it with a few turns of mono for spools that aren't braid-ready, just because it chaps my rear end a little to spend $15 every time i need to load up a reel.

I'm guessing that a lot of reels already have braid-ready spools these days, especially when you hit upwards of the $50 price point.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

The braid -> mono knot the guy at the shop used caused it to get snagged on the tip pretty often, but I cut that and used double uni and it was fine :shrug:. I didn't really like using braid -> mono -> fluoro, but I'll probably go back to it so I don't waste so much braid when people CAN'T FOLLOW THEIR loving LINES. Maybe just braid -> 30-50 yards of fluoro.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

OniPanda posted:

The braid -> mono knot the guy at the shop used caused it to get snagged on the tip pretty often, but I cut that and used double uni and it was fine :shrug:. I didn't really like using braid -> mono -> fluoro, but I'll probably go back to it so I don't waste so much braid when people CAN'T FOLLOW THEIR loving LINES. Maybe just braid -> 30-50 yards of fluoro.

That's why the deckhands always want you to have a 50-100 foot top shot, helps with the inevitable tangles.

titties posted:

The time that i had my braid slip it was only tied on the spool with a single arbor knot and i was pulling pretty hard on a snag.

You do kind of have to work at it in order to make it an issue but i still back it with a few turns of mono for spools that aren't braid-ready, just because it chaps my rear end a little to spend $15 every time i need to load up a reel.

I'm guessing that a lot of reels already have braid-ready spools these days, especially when you hit upwards of the $50 price point.

If the spool isn't braid ready you can get around that by using some medical tape or duct tape or something. Just needs a little extra to help it stick to the spool better.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

As a dude who has never fly fished a minute of his life, how much will I hate a $30/40 Babby's First Fly Rod kit from Academy? Considering grabbing one just to try it out and dick around with some bream

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

As a dude who has never fly fished a minute of his life, how much will I hate a $30/40 Babby's First Fly Rod kit from Academy? Considering grabbing one just to try it out and dick around with some bream

I learned on a $30 eagle claw rod. they certainly work! Easy to get a feel for fly fishing on the cheap.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

The rod will probably be good to go for a while, but the reel will likely be pretty irritating. It'll be just fine for giving things a tryout, but if you end up liking it (which you almost certainly will) getting a decent reel is a smart first upgrade.

Also might consider the line...I'd imagine these things come preloaded and it might be tougher to work with than better lines are. No reason to replace it immediately or anything, just keep in mind that a better line is easier to cast and probably more durable.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

bewbies posted:

getting a decent reel is a smart first upgrade.

I let my partner use my rod this weekend while I was clearin a backlash on her rental. She was immediately sold. She's been hesitant to drop money because she doesn't make as much money or go out as much as I do, but now she's all in on her own rod because it's so much better than the rentals. I had just finished droppin down when I handed her the rod, and she immediately felt the sculpin get on. She had almost no luck with the rental, and I had little luck. Extremely hard to feel anything, setting the hook was garbage cause the cheap mono. I got a Fathom II 40, and the two speed is fantastic for workin bottom fish up. She's probably gonna get the same, maybe a 20 or 30, since she's not plannin on tuna fishing like I am, so doesn't really need the capacity.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

OniPanda posted:

I let my partner use my rod this weekend while I was clearin a backlash on her rental. She was immediately sold. She's been hesitant to drop money because she doesn't make as much money or go out as much as I do, but now she's all in on her own rod because it's so much better than the rentals. I had just finished droppin down when I handed her the rod, and she immediately felt the sculpin get on. She had almost no luck with the rental, and I had little luck. Extremely hard to feel anything, setting the hook was garbage cause the cheap mono. I got a Fathom II 40, and the two speed is fantastic for workin bottom fish up. She's probably gonna get the same, maybe a 20 or 30, since she's not plannin on tuna fishing like I am, so doesn't really need the capacity.

I used a rental rod exactly one time before I went and bought my own setup lol.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

As a random data point — albeit almost exclusively for trout — my order of importance for gear quality would be:

- rod
- line
- leader/tippet
- reel
- flies

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Teaching yourself fly fishing is really loving hard. Learning fly fishing from someone who already knows how to fly fish takes like 10 minutes. Get a lesson.

As for the fly rod kit, it'll work well enough to figure out what you actually want. If you're going to spend money on anything, buy some decent (~$50) Scientific Anglers fly line. That'll get you the biggest bang for your buck in terms of quality of life improvements.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

waffle enthusiast posted:

As a random data point — albeit almost exclusively for trout — my order of importance for gear quality would be:

- rod
- line
- leader/tippet
- reel
- flies
For trout, my order is:

Highest first
Tippet/leader - too thick and everything will refuse. Getting the right presentation trumps everything else.
flies - match the hatch.
line - if it doesn't feel right, fly fishing is miserable
rod - once you get used to it, you can cast anything
reel - you don't even need a reel. It's just there to store line.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Dik Hz posted:

Teaching yourself fly fishing is really loving hard. Learning fly fishing from someone who already knows how to fly fish takes like 10 minutes. Get a lesson.

As for the fly rod kit, it'll work well enough to figure out what you actually want. If you're going to spend money on anything, buy some decent (~$50) Scientific Anglers fly line. That'll get you the biggest bang for your buck in terms of quality of life improvements.

There are so many youtube videos to watch on this that its kind of silly. Getting a lesson isn't a bad idea either way.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Dik Hz posted:

flies - match the hatch.

I'm all for keeping fly shops in business. Hell, I just shelled out a silly amount of money on a recent Charlie Craven terrestrial pattern for a recent trip to see how well it works*. But, with the notable exception of actually matching a hatch in progress on selective trout, fly selection is one of the more overrated components of fly fishing success. As a guide/tyer once told me, "A trout will eat a cigarette butt on a hook if you drift it right."

*It did catch me a personal best brook trout. Would a Chubby Chernobyl have made a difference? :iiam:

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 16, 2021

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Look, I think we can all agree that whatever equipment you currently own, what’s really preventing you from putting more fish in the net is just one more piece of gear. And it’s important to your long term happiness and angling success that you buy that thing.

Because you’re worth it.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

You can't argue with that

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

waffle enthusiast posted:

I'm all for keeping fly shops in business. Hell, I just shelled out a silly amount of money on a recent Charlie Craven terrestrial pattern for a recent trip to see how well it works*. But, with the notable exception of actually matching a hatch in progress on selective trout, fly selection is one of the more overrated components of fly fishing success. As a guide/tyer once told me, "A trout will eat a cigarette butt on a hook if you drift it right."

*It did catch me a personal best brook trout. Would a Chubby Chernobyl have made a difference? :iiam:
I really disagree with this mentality. There are times when you can catch trout on anything and there are times when trout can be super picky. And there are times when nothing you can do will work. You will catch more fish if you observe the world around you and match the hatch. You need to tie some kind of fly on; you might as well tie one on that will work the best. I'm not talking about specific patterns as much as I'm talking about shape and presentation. If trout are keyed in on scuds, any shiny weighted nymph size 10-14 will probably work. But you could float dries all day over them and never get a nibble.

An actively feeding and unpressured trout that feels safe will hit almost everything that drifts past. I love hiking 3 miles into the Shenandoah National Park and throwing garbage at aggressive brookies in plunge pools. Tons of fun.

A pressured trout in low clear water will only risk itself for things it knows are food. This is when matching the hatch is necessary.

The way I fly fish for trout is by using general-use patterns I have confidence in and covering water quickly looking for feeding trout. If I start getting refusals or not finding fish where I know there are fish, I'll start trying to match the hatch. My best mountain brown trout in NC came out of a relatively pressured hole. I observed what was hatching and went through a couple patterns before I finally caught her. She ignored the hare's ear/midge dropper I was prospecting with, looked at but refused a caddis pattern that matched the hatch, and finally took a caddis emerger fished in the film. Moments like that are why I fly fish.

Dik Hz fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Aug 17, 2021

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
So I got to play with my new 3 wt rod. I was throwing small green bait fish imitations and was catching more small guadalupe bass then I new what to do with. I didn't really catch anything of real size but I usually don't there. Even these small bass on that 3 wt provide some kind of a challenge. I think I am going to eventually buy a small arbor real. Since there is no reason at all for me to have that large arbor on this rod.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Valt posted:

So I got to play with my new 3 wt rod. I was throwing small green bait fish imitations and was catching more small guadalupe bass then I new what to do with. I didn't really catch anything of real size but I usually don't there. Even these small bass on that 3 wt provide some kind of a challenge. I think I am going to eventually buy a small arbor real. Since there is no reason at all for me to have that large arbor on this rod.

Dinks can be a lot of fun!

The fish look cool also!

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Y’all are making me really want to learn to fly fish.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

There's really nothing like standing in a cold river, watching the sunrise light up the fog around you. Catching trout is just icing on the cake.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Anyone have any wisdom regarding fishing the miss during such a severe drought? levels are further down than i've ever seen and I'm not certain how to change up tactics. or maybe switch to the lakes which haven't been affected as much?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

ThePopeOfFun posted:

There's really nothing like standing in a cold river, watching the sunrise light up the fog around you. Catching trout is just icing on the cake.

I live on the swampy South Carolina coastal plain and would be trying to fish other species.

I wish I was able to walk to a mountain stream and do my thing.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Sat down to catch up on some Tom Rosenbauer goodness and the situational irony of this segment was not lost on me. (Skip to 15:28)

https://youtu.be/ccuEqIGioM0

Focus on your approach, cast and drift. Don’t stress not knowing a PMD from a BWO.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Aug 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
So Tom Rosenbauer has a really awesome podcasts called The Orvis Fly Fishing Podcast. Which if you have any interest in fly fishing you should definitely listen too. I didn't actually know about it till the other day he mentioned it in a video.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-orvis-fly-fishing-podcast/id278930814

I went down to the river twice today, the first time they were letting water out at the red rock drat so it was way to high and fast to fish. The second time the water level was more normal. I started working toward my normal spot and heard a big splash and turned around and there was a giant silver carp behind. Seems like he was just as suprised as me and he wandered off. I bet he got washed over the drat with the giant amount of rain we got this weekend. I tried to get a picture of him but it turns out taking pictures of fish under water is near impossible.

I managed to catch a decent bass today as well!