Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
I have no doubt in my mind that by all measures and metrics kids have greatly "fallen behind" in where they were "expected to be" this fall, but there are so many hosed up assumptions and unhelpful framing in that its just... lol whatever gently caress off,

my friends 8 year old gave stellar tech support for her little sisters tablet today. quite literally better troubleshooting than 95% of my desk side tech support experiences, and that's all crazy tech poo poo she learned doing 2nd grade remotely. she can also read now at a silly high level for all the library books she's consumed, and knows how to google answers really well for looking up how to beat Let's Go Eevee, finding videos when shes supposed to be listening to her teacher, and frankly probably straight up cheating during quizzes.

she has the conflict resolution and emotional breadth of, well, still an 8 year old, granted. but let's face it, after this year she's qualified for entry level tech support, EQ included...if it wasnt morally repugnant to make an 8 year old work in a cube during a pandemic and the job posting didn't require a bachelor's or higher, of course

in retrospect, why would we ever expect scores on tests for knowledge specifically honed over generations of in person learning to NOT dramatically change when the base method learning itself radically changed?

but instead of focusing on all the cool new poo poo that kids learned over the past year (that we don't have tests for because we've never intentionally taught for things like "flexibility" like our STEM knowledge) and using that to build upon this year's curriculum (which needs to still be remote because adults made some very bad decisions), we're going to spend all this year lamenting the tragedy of lost time, stressing out teachers over their standardized scores, and putting even MORE pressure on plague-mined children to "catch up" so they'll "be ready"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Sweet_Joke_Nectar posted:

re: is it worth it to send kids back - I have no doubt that the kids are getting screwed over by remote learning. I’m sure there’s going to be measurable differences to previous generations. weighed against the alternative, though, it’s an absolute no brainer.

I have that long hauler thing, and nothing in my entire existence has so drastically altered and diminished my life than chronic brain fog. it’s been absolutely devastating. Had a full neuropsych eval - previously had an IQ of 142, measured after getting sick its 118. All the other areas of my brain and work up are what they were, except short term memory and processing speed are now in the bottom 1% of the population, and so diminished as to offset the entire rest of the results by that many points - it’s like my brain doesn’t belong to me anymore. dizziness, major nausea/GI symptoms, reaction speed, tremors, can’t think straight - any kind of moment to moment thought is drastically lower, I have to have things explained to me 8 times that I could’ve previously picked up after 1. my ability to form new memories and learn new things is wrecked - I’m just glad I got it I’m my late 20s rather than as a kid, because a lot of the stuff I already learned I kept, it’s forming new things that’s almost impossible.

I’ve had trouble holding a job, and at the age of 30 had to move back in with my parents. I take 20 pills a day. my mental health is tenable at best.

if you love your kids, don’t send them back to school. it’s not worth it.

this made me crack more than anything else over the past 18 months. I am so sorry

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

corona familiar posted:

thought i'd join the booster party

new account but long time lurker

a couple pages back but i legit cackled at my computer when i saw this

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

we're creating a generation of computer touchers... gently caress..

osprey
Apr 18, 2021

Sweet_Joke_Nectar posted:

re: is it worth it to send kids back - I have no doubt that the kids are getting screwed over by remote learning. I’m sure there’s going to be measurable differences to previous generations. weighed against the alternative, though, it’s an absolute no brainer.

I have that long hauler thing, and nothing in my entire existence has so drastically altered and diminished my life than chronic brain fog. it’s been absolutely devastating. Had a full neuropsych eval - previously had an IQ of 142, measured after getting sick its 118. All the other areas of my brain and work up are what they were, except short term memory and processing speed are now in the bottom 1% of the population, and so diminished as to offset the entire rest of the results by that many points - it’s like my brain doesn’t belong to me anymore. dizziness, major nausea/GI symptoms, reaction speed, tremors, can’t think straight - any kind of moment to moment thought is drastically lower, I have to have things explained to me 8 times that I could’ve previously picked up after 1. my ability to form new memories and learn new things is wrecked - I’m just glad I got it I’m my late 20s rather than as a kid, because a lot of the stuff I already learned I kept, it’s forming new things that’s almost impossible.

I’ve had trouble holding a job, and at the age of 30 had to move back in with my parents. I take 20 pills a day. my mental health is tenable at best.

if you love your kids, don’t send them back to school. it’s not worth it.

that's rough :( hopefully things will get better for you

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

What are those 20 pills?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Google Butt posted:

What are those 20 pills?

bluechew

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Google Butt posted:

we're creating a generation of computer touchers... gently caress..

*looks up from my smart phone* we've what?!

osprey
Apr 18, 2021

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

I went a paddlin today

it was nice

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

drat i was thinking that as I was posting. good thing I have a cumtown20 in the back pocket

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

you guys are really underestimating how many kids in this country have lovely parents that dgaf their kids can barely read and look at school as daycare.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

bluechew isnt a pill. its a website that sells chewable tablets.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

fosborb posted:

I have no doubt in my mind that by all measures and metrics kids have greatly "fallen behind" in where they were "expected to be" this fall, but there are so many hosed up assumptions and unhelpful framing in that its just... lol whatever gently caress off,

it's also worth keeping in mind that inflexibility is a large part of the reason why this last year set kids back at all

it's absolutely possible to do remote schooling just fine, and it's even possible to make sure that young kids get socialization when they need it given the situation

The problem is that we're incapable of working from any assumption other than "30 kids jammed into a classroom is the only way to do these things and anything else is an aberration." That's clearly loving bullshit because we haven't had the current educational system for all of human history, and it almost certainly will not be the final one that we settle on.* One of the many extremely disturbing things about the last year and a half was our total unwillingness to adapt to literally anything at all in any way and instead just keep telling ourselves that "normalcy" is coming any day now.

*possibly not true since the end of civilization might be right around the corner but y'know

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

corona familiar posted:

thought i'd join the booster party

new account but long time lurker

:hmbol:

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Gio posted:

you guys are really underestimating how many kids in this country have lovely parents that dgaf their kids can barely read and look at school as daycare.

yea but is that really worth the very real risk of death or permanently injury

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Testvan posted:

i'm doomer but this is beyond the doom i thought would occur

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Gio posted:

side note, really wish I could get truth serum answers from parents like that as to why they had kids in the first place

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Google Butt posted:

yea but is that really worth the very real risk of death or permanently injury

absolutely not.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Fate Accomplice posted:

side note, really wish I could get truth serum answers from parents like that as to why they had kids in the first place

save marriage, benefits, social status, lack of birth control, breeding fetish.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Gio posted:

that sounds like a bigger problem than remote classes IMO

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

ram dass in hell posted:

yes but remote school makes number sad while number is indifferent/slightly aroused by lovely parents

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

crepeface posted:

https://twitter.com/NSWHealth/status/1426157910065782784?s=20

why is snap fitness and sports world open during a lockdown you loving iditoeurhgar a rgoa grgar e5n3y

Gladys said it was the harshest lockdown in the country lmao. They just now did 5km travel limit too.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Gio posted:

same parents werent making their kids practice their sight words either

again, kids totally fell behind in the knowledge formally taught in school and that knowledge is still obviously important, but kids also learned a lot of things they don't normally get to learn, for better or worse, and if we pretend like all of last year was just lost time that didn't happen we are going lose all of that, too.

and put unjust and unfair pressure on these children if we act like "this is where children Should Be at grade 4" rather than "these are the skills the children I have have now, and this is what I hope to teach them in the time I have them." and that's what good teachers do anyway, but part of open biden is absolutely going to be a return to normal with standardized tests and teachers are going to feel that and so will their students

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

Gio posted:

i dont know why ppl are so stubborn to admit virtual school is a disaster for a lot of kids. its not like admitting that means you cant similarly think in person learning this fall is a death sentence for hundreds of thousands of americans.

kids falling way behind is part of the whole tragedy of this pandemic.

there's definitely a rather unpalatable trend in this thread and others where complaining about how much voluntary social distancing sucks is met with "oh yeah well getting covid is worse you moron." maybe some of it is just ironic but frankly some of it verges on reactionary; i'm thinking about poo poo like people telling AceOfFlames "well i've had no problem staying entertained at home so you should be able to bootstrap your way to happiness." i'm pretty sure it was a joke but i also remember somebody complaining about not being able to see their parents for a year and another poster responding "you can see them in vrchat you know."

like it's okay. being stuck in your house for a year and a half is bad. you can complain about it in cspam and we won't think that you're advocating for open 'er up. it's okay

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I need to never read D&D, why do I do that to myself.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Y'all have seen this guy on YouTube, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKZqFDuVVY0

For some reason I was looking at his videos and I sorted them by date, oldest first. Turns out he's been on YouTube for 14 years!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmkH87YPN4g

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

ram dass in hell posted:

it is.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

kalensc posted:

Thankfully everyone is fully vaxxed, but they all either have a job that involves proximity to customers or have a combo of age & past health issues.

However in the last 3 days alone, the US border re-opened, the most populous provinces all said schools would be in-person & mask-optional & afaik no vaccine mandates for staff, and that pre-print Mayo clinic study on diminishing vaccine effectiveness came out.

The main problem is that no one is remotely as "online" as I am so they default to newspaper front pages and local news. The majority of coverage on US Delta has had the same "huh, looks really bad over there, eh? such an avoidable tragedy.....now onto sports!" attitude that they had for the India and UK Delta surges.

So it's a lot more challenging cause I need to get across most of the following concepts:

- viral mutation & its impact on our risk
- what vaccine efficiency actually means
- why stats in news coverage are misleading
- asymptomatic infection & transmission
- vax-to-vax transmission
- aerosol vs droplet vs fomate transmission
- waning vaccine protection & boosters
- why NPIs have always been essential
- cloth vs filtered masks
- respirators and N95-tier masks
- children were never immune
- unvaxxed kids in classroom are at high risk
- super-spreader events
- why so much info gets suppressed by government and capital interests
- exponential growth & health care resources

And finally, I have like 120 tabs saved of first-hand accounts by survivors and parents and doctors, criticism by Dr Eric and friends, and tales shared by goons (cropped to ensure anonymity)

Break out your notebooks fam, we're going back to school

add your tabs to the goon Google docs

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12Ss6gA8ULL-2gxh4tWy12gFjTB078ba2KuxeqI9yz70/htmlview

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Gio posted:

You are totally correct on that but I don't think that those types of parents are C-SPAM posters so consider the audience.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Yeah when I finish making the thing I'll share it

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

i don't think a single person in this thread has said remote learning is good (im also not going to check lol). its certainly the best option right now though, without a doubt

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008
I hated school as a kid and I would have loved remote options lol

Edit: but yes of course it sucks for parents and also kids who arent brokebrained autistic and depressed like i was

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

TheLemonOfIchabod posted:

I hated school as a kid and I would have loved remote options lol

Doing independent studies halfway through highschool was the single best thing to happen to my mental health. That's saying a lot cause I'm still hosed up!!!

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Gio posted:

ok but are these anecdotally the same parents that are helping their “dumb” kid pass a meaningless quiz or w/e? just having a hard time keeping track here of why we have to reopen the plague lands, sorry.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

fosborb posted:

this is a great data viz oh yeah!

*blasts 24 pie charts all over the screen*

I’ll have you know those are donut charts

that’ll be two coconuts

Sad Billionaire
Mar 31, 2009

What a twist
Fan of Britches
virtual teaching was absolute hell last year but i'd go back to it again in a heartbeat if i could.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Google Butt posted:

i don't think a single person in this thread has said remote learning is good (im also not going to check lol). its certainly the best option right now though, without a doubt

yeah I'll agree with this, as the person who most recently said parts of what some kids learned actually were good and valuable, despite remote learning absolutely sucking overall

luckily, we don't have a real remote option this year, so off you go into the pit! hope enough other children get sick soon enough for everyone else to finally come to their minds!!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

this kicks rear end I love to live through the premise of a sci-fi novel

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Ruggan posted:

I’ll have you know those are donut charts

that’ll be two coconuts

donut charts are just pie charts made by marketing majors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU