Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

gohuskies posted:

Yeah the 25% hardest core Republican base was super respectful of and deferential to federal public health authority before January 2021, that's definitely true, sure, yeah.

poo poo, those guys sound terrifying! Better just do nothing and pretend no other outcome was possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Mexico does not give a fuuuuuuuuuuuuck about Covid

https://twitter.com/lopezdoriga/status/1426358319267164166?s=20

Edit: Here's a live cam, lots of people still

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3s577PXL_I

https://webcamsdemexico.com/webcam/mexico-zocalo/

I guess the pyramid is to acknowledge the human sacrifice going on

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Aug 14, 2021

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
My work requires me to go in 2 days out of the week. Today I just learned that someone in the building group had COVID, though they were not in my building specifically. I am trying to find out when we was in the area (I was in all day yesterday), and it is likely a long shot, but I was wondering if I should get myself tested asap or just try to stay quarantined and pay attention for symptoms.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Fallom posted:

How are we so loving incompetent

The CDC had a terrible track record with their covid messaging under the Trump administration and it's super frustrating that their dumb bullshit is still going on under the Biden administration.

Here's another example - they've been releasing weekly forecasts for coronavirus cases/hospitalizations/deaths for a while now which are aggregated from the COVID-19 Forecast Hub which includes several dozen universities and laboratories plus at least one bank and some seemingly random individuals and which look like this :

https://twitter.com/CDCgov/status/1425926264800620550

You'll notice that the confidence levels on those forecasts are frickin' huge so the usefulness of the models are already pretty darn suspect, but I also noticed that even though the updated graphs appear fairly similar from week to week they were actually massively increasing the y-axis each time. The y-axis on the current model goes as high as 3,000,000 but the y-axis on the model from 6 weeks ago only went up to 250,000! I went and collected the last 6 models and overlaid them over each other with an equalised y-axis and the results were staggeringly inept:

The actual updated data falls outside their previous 95% confidence interval almost every single time (and the shaded 95% confidence levels on the later models aren't even close to overlapping the 95% confidence levels in the earlier models!!) so the models are demonstrably useless and are utter failures at even short term projections but the CDC still keeps generating them and giving them prominence on their twitter feed every week.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I mean, fast track more how? Order the FDA to not require a phase 3 trial? There's really not many more shortcuts they can take.

Like y'all realize this is an unprecedented fast track already right? Especially given we're dealing with entirely different doses here for kids there's only so many shortcuts you can take without the risk of "Oops we never checked to see if this modified dosing regimen had the needed efficacy on a large scale".

That's basically what they wanted to do with the vaccines for adults, in August of 2020 Trump's FDA chief said that if any of the applicants asked for it he'd be willing to end phase 3 trials early and give immediate EUA. A bunch of doctors wrote op-eds about what a bad idea that would be and it didn't wind up happening.

e: Like obviously yeah, "release it early gently caress testing" would be a shortcut

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 14, 2021

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Blitter posted:

poo poo, those guys sound terrifying! Better just do nothing and pretend no other outcome was possible.

I mean it really wasn't. Any other outcome would have required the Trump administration to suddenly not be a perfect storm of incompetence and malice. Remember that they tried to call it a hoax first, and then when things started getting bad, tried to sweep it under the rug by discouraging testing and claiming hospitals were making it up. The current scenario playing out is probably among the better ways it could have gone, unfortunately.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

gently caress, if only MAN WHO STARED DIRECTLY AT THE SUN was still around, none of these incompetent FOOLS would be flailing around looking for answers. He would be doing it RIGHT I tell ya! He would be loving ordering people around and the CDC would be running like clockwork!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0I4f8PasIU
That was the moment that broke me

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Gynovore posted:

No, you got threadbanned because every single person in the loving thread was telling you to GTFO.

Because I repeatedly disagreed with the narrative of the time that trump made the vaccines and they were fake

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Because I repeatedly disagreed with the narrative of the time that trump made the vaccines and they were fake

Literally not an argument made by anyone at the time, but this bullshit is a good example of why everyone wanted you to gtfo. I suggest dropping it, unless you really think it's going to work out better this time

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

Unlucky7 posted:

My work requires me to go in 2 days out of the week. Today I just learned that someone in the building group had COVID, though they were not in my building specifically. I am trying to find out when we was in the area (I was in all day yesterday), and it is likely a long shot, but I was wondering if I should get myself tested asap or just try to stay quarantined and pay attention for symptoms.

If you weren't near them for anything more than like 5 minutes, you're probably fine. We have one positive case a month from contractors coming in and out of our factory all the time, and it rarely spreads. Decent ventilation and masks really work.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

ETA2: but it's also a horrible indictment on the richer countries of the world that they're hoarding 3rd doses for their populations (and throwing out millions of unused doses) when billions of people worldwide haven't even received their first dose. It's a global clusterfuck

Some of this is directly Trump’s fault. When vaccine production was starting there was an expectation that the United States would negotiate and try to work out some international agreement to get vaccines to less developed nations. Trump couldn’t give a poo poo. Then China claimed they wanted to organize it but no one trusted them. Germany and France made some noises about it but without the U.S. being part of the deal it was unlikely to matter much so it was every nation for itself.

I am not crazy enough to believe it would have been fair. Even if we had a deal, the wealthy nations would still have been much better off in terms of getting vaccines but it would have been at least somewhat more equitable.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Yeah the Biden administration recently said they're not going to enact a federal mask mandate or lockdowns or anything, I really can't see them dredging up the political will to enact a vaccine mandate anytime soon. They're just going to continue pleading via Twitter, that's their entire vaccine plan.

Kids like memes, right? We'll meme our way out of this pandemic!

https://twitter.com/TaylorLorenz/status/1426214229128843265

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Kids like memes, right? We'll meme our way out of this pandemic!

https://twitter.com/TaylorLorenz/status/1426214229128843265

I would believe it and get vaxxed but the tan suit puts me off.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Seems like Biden‘s plan for ending the pandemic was basically “Everyone will be reasonable and get vaccinated ASAP, right guys!!” And now we’re at “…guys???”

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

QuarkJets posted:

Literally not an argument made by anyone at the time, but this bullshit is a good example of why everyone wanted you to gtfo. I suggest dropping it, unless you really think it's going to work out better this time

Not that i'd ever agree with OOCC because he's poo poo, but Kamala Harris literally said during the VP debates that she wouldn't take a vaccine pushed by DJT

poo poo was really fucky there back in October

One thing that frustrated me was that everyone just seemed to assume everything was going to be ok the minute Biden took office and as someone who works almost entirely with very open centrists - basically all safety went out the window that week. And now no one will put their loving masks back on. Its insanely obnoxious. Like before the election people were "BEING SAFE!!!" as a gently caress you to DJT which was like. yeah cool. not the right motivation but im glad you aren't spreading covid. Then boom. gently caress it all.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Aug 14, 2021

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Zugzwang posted:

Seems like Biden‘s plan for ending the pandemic was basically “Everyone will be reasonable and get vaccinated ASAP, right guys!!” And now we’re at “…guys???”

I haven’t heard a better plan. I mean, yeah, a national mandate would be constitutional based on precedent but there is no guarantee the Supreme Court would back that old precedent again. Even if they did it would be a nightmare to implement with the armed resistance it would face.

The best plan I heard was a tax credit for getting vaccinated but I don’t think that would have made it through Congress.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
One of our main delivery spots had 4 dudes test positive for Covid a few weeks ago. No one said anything about it, to any of the customers or couriers.

Three days ago, my work decided that we need to start wearing masks again. The amount of bitching could power a loving world because people are so pissy about it. "We have to wear masks INSIDE all the stores now? And INSIDE the production centers? And INSIDE customer homes? THIS IS BULLSHIT."

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Xenocides posted:

I haven’t heard a better plan. I mean, yeah, a national mandate would be constitutional based on precedent but there is no guarantee the Supreme Court would back that old precedent again. Even if they did it would be a nightmare to implement with the armed resistance it would face.

The best plan I heard was a tax credit for getting vaccinated but I don’t think that would have made it through Congress.

Tax credits are only motivators for people who make enough money to claim tax credits on their taxes.

You just need to directly pay people to get it - like enough that if their work fires them for being out for a couple days due to side effects, they can pay rent that month.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

silicone thrills posted:

Tax credits are only motivators for people who make enough money to claim tax credits on their taxes.

You just need to directly pay people to get it - like enough that if their work fires them for being out for a couple days due to side effects, they can pay rent that month.

Yeah, I phrased that badly. By that I mean a credit more like the Earned Income Tax credit that doesn’t add to the standard deduction. It just gives you the money regardless of anything else so you either pay less or get more back.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Xenocides posted:

It’s not just vaccine uptake that matters. We are also sending all our kids back into Delta hotboxes, and those under 12 can’t even get vaxxed yet. Was there really nothing the feds could have to help with this? Nothing whatsoever?

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Zugzwang posted:

It’s not just vaccine uptake that matters. We are also sending all our kids back into Delta hotboxes, and those under 12 can’t even get vaxxed yet. Was there really nothing the feds could have to help with this? Nothing whatsoever?

The CDC could have tried to shut down all schools but it may not have survived a court challenge. The President could declare martial law everywhere but that is probably a cure worse than the disease approach that could literally topple the government. Federalism is a bitch. While it helped a lot of states resist Trump by limiting his authority the same limits help out the deathcult fuckwits in charge of a lot of states in resisting Biden.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Xenocides posted:

deathcult fuckwits

They get particularly crazy about masks in schools for some reason

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1426184419438731264

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Huh, I saw that story written in a completely different way earlier… saying it was a guy pissed off that the teacher of his kid wasn’t wearing a mask, so approached the principal then thumped the teacher.

E: ah seems the parent is a loon and just used the fact that he saw some teachers not wearing a mask as a reason why his kid shouldn’t either, some of the reporting didn’t make this super clear.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 14, 2021

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Xenocides posted:

The CDC could have tried to shut down all schools but it may not have survived a court challenge. The President could declare martial law everywhere but that is probably a cure worse than the disease approach that could literally topple the government. Federalism is a bitch. While it helped a lot of states resist Trump by limiting his authority the same limits help out the deathcult fuckwits in charge of a lot of states in resisting Biden.

The Biden admin completely torpedoed the OSHA efforts to make workplace safety for aerosol transmission regulated, which might have resulted in liability for mishandled pandemic measures.

Instead you got Open Biden, maskless mimosas and inevitably, this loving disaster.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Zugzwang posted:

The only thing I could think of was something like other poster's suggestion of a tax credit for each vaccine taken. The government's ability to do anything other than siphon money to various industries has been severely weakened over the last forty years. That's by design. I don't have faith in democracy.

e: VVVVV That's why I don't have faith in democracy.

DickParasite fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Aug 14, 2021

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Checking back in on city board meetings to see how The Discourse is progressing ....

https://twitter.com/JerriJamz/status/1426052914255106049

Yep, about the same as always

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Xenocides posted:

Federalism is a bitch. While it helped a lot of states resist Trump by limiting his authority the same limits help out the deathcult fuckwits in charge of a lot of states in resisting Biden.
I hear ya. But while I know we live in the dumbest timeline, if all that the most powerful person in the world can do to combat the pandemic is post Instagram pics with 20-year-old pop stars (#vaccinesaregood4u), the dumbest timeline is very dumb indeed.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

silicone thrills posted:

Not that i'd ever agree with OOCC because he's poo poo, but Kamala Harris literally said during the VP debates that she wouldn't take a vaccine pushed by DJT

Harris said that she would be "first in line" to take it if the medical community said it was ready and proven safe, but that she wouldn't take it otherwise. That's it. A very stupid segment of the population decided that this was unacceptable but why the gently caress would you ever take medical advice from Donald Trump over the advice of basically all other doctors everywhere?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

QuarkJets posted:

why the gently caress would you ever take medical advice from Donald Trump

Remember in the previous incarnation of this thread when some poster was seriously arguing that DJT's idea to "inject powerful [UV] light" into covid patients was actually good, sound advice and was posting a whole bunch of shonky links to prove it? Good times.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Remember in the previous incarnation of this thread when some poster was seriously arguing that DJT's idea to "inject powerful [UV] light" into covid patients was actually good, sound advice and was posting a whole bunch of shonky links to prove it? Good times.

Are YOU a UV Doctor? Heh, didn't think so

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

QuarkJets posted:

Harris said that she would be "first in line" to take it if the medical community said it was ready and proven safe, but that she wouldn't take it otherwise. That's it. A very stupid segment of the population decided that this was unacceptable but why the gently caress would you ever take medical advice from Donald Trump over the advice of basically all other doctors everywhere?

It was an insanely stupid way for her to phrase things. It very much was a moment in a series of stupid moments by many politicians that turned the vaccine political.

I'm beyond frustrated but that's because I'm super pro vaccination with an insanely rush Limbaugh right wing trump voting crazy family.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

silicone thrills posted:

It was an insanely stupid way for her to phrase things. It very much was a moment in a series of stupid moments by many politicians that turned the vaccine political.

I'm beyond frustrated but that's because I'm super pro vaccination with an insanely rush Limbaugh right wing trump voting crazy family.

Saying that you will eagerly take the vaccine if doctors say that it's effective and safe is not a political statement

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

QuarkJets posted:

Saying that you will eagerly take the vaccine if doctors say that it's effective and safe is not a political statement

Saying if the current president recommends the vaccine you won't take it was seriously hosed up. You can't read one part of the statement made and ignore the rest. That's not how things work.

Like trump was and is a piece of poo poo but the optics of that statement were horrifying when you're talking about trying to wrangle people into doing something that we all needed to unite on.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Curse you, Kamala Harris, for politicizing the vaccine. :argh:

I hate Kamala Harris, but this ain’t on her. Hardly anyone remembered that moment at the debate by the next week, let alone the next year.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Probably not a ton of people noticed, you are correct. Like I said. One of many moments by many politicians making idiotic statements.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Here’s how the U.S. could release a COVID-19 vaccine before the election—and why that scares some

Harris could have been more tactful, but it was hardly an unwarranted concern.

Look at what he did after he lost the election. Dude doesn’t exactly have scruples.

The vaccines turned out to have fantastic performance in the trials, but had it been otherwise, what do you expect Trump would have done?

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Aug 14, 2021

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Zugzwang posted:

I hear ya. But while I know we live in the dumbest timeline, if all that the most powerful person in the world can do to combat the pandemic is post Instagram pics with 20-year-old pop stars (#vaccinesaregood4u), the dumbest timeline is very dumb indeed.

There should be a lot more but the constitution didn’t foresee state governors that actively wanted to kill off large swathes of people in their state.

It reminds me of one weird incident in US history. In the 19th century when the governor of Missouri issued the order to drive out or kill the Mormons they fled to Illinois. A delegation of them with assistance from Illinois legislators went to Washington to try to get their land back and were rebuffed. Reportedly President Martin van Buren told them their cause was just but would cost him the state of Missouri in the next election if he helped.

Joseph Smith then ran a protest campaign to get elected President of the United States and one of his policy goals was to amend the constitution to allow the President to intervene in a state (militarily or otherwise) without the governor’s approval in case the governor was part of the insurrection or acting unjustly. He had no chance of winning and was arrested before the election

Part of me wishes that amendment had somehow passed as Biden could overrule DeSantis and Abbott. Then I think of how many federal troops Trump could have sent against the BLM protesters. *shiver*

Maybe if we stopped electing death cultists and narcissists? :shrug:

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Here’s how the U.S. could release a COVID-19 vaccine before the election—and why that scares some

Harris could have been more tactful, but it was hardly an unwarranted concern.

Look at what he did after he lost the election. Dude doesn’t exactly have scruples.

The vaccines turned out to have fantastic performance in the trials, but had it been otherwise, what do you expect Trump would have done?

I still like to think Pfizer delayed their announcement about the vaccine until the day after the election to kick Trump in the teeth for all those idiotic meetings they had to endure with him thinking they could have the vaccine in three months back in March and April. Having to tell a toddler they don’t know how long it will take while he tries to put on his big-boy bargaining pants to talk down the timeline and make a great deal.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

silicone thrills posted:

Saying if the current president recommends the vaccine you won't take it was seriously hosed up. You can't read one part of the statement made and ignore the rest. That's not how things work.

Like trump was and is a piece of poo poo but the optics of that statement were horrifying when you're talking about trying to wrangle people into doing something that we all needed to unite on.

She said that she'd take it if doctors recommended it, not if the president recommended it. That's not a political statement. That's the stance that any sensible person should take no matter who the president happens to be. You should not take medical advice from presidents unless they happen to also be medical doctors, I don't know what else to tell you.

The conservative propaganda machine rolled out on it though because it made a great sound bite to trick idiots into believing that it was a gaffe. Gullible morons accepted it as fact that she said, in a vacuum, that she wouldn't take The Trump Vaccine. It's not what she said at all, but smooth-brained morons repeated the lie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

She said that she'd take it of doctors recommended it, not if the president recommended it. That's not a political statement. That's the stance that any sensible person should take no matter who the president happens to be. You should not take medical advice from presidents unless they happen to also be medical doctors, I don't know what else to tell you.

The conservative propaganda machine rolled out on it though because it made a great sound bite to trick idiots into believing that it was a gaffe. Gullible morons accepted it as fact that she said, in a vacuum, that she wouldn't take The Trump Vaccine. It's not what she said at all, but smooth-brained morons repeated the lie.

This. That she felt the need to say it is an indictment of Trump because no other President in living memory would be suspected of rolling out an untested and potentially dangerous vaccine to the public to win an election. I don’t even think Nixon would have gone along with a plan like that.