Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

quote:

Data collected from a NASA spacecraft's visit to the potentially hazardous asteroid Bennu reveals future generations will want to keep a close eye on the big space rock as it makes close passes by Earth in the 22nd century.

maybe a savior for the morlocks but i shun this false messiah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Calling it now, we're going to luck into some sort of miracle solution to the climate crisis only for this dumb rock to obliterate us.

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

SplitSoul posted:

Calling it now, we're going to luck into some sort of miracle solution to the climate crisis only for this dumb rock to obliterate us.

Based on new data, received only last night, we are revising our policy recommendations for this report. Changes include new requirements for increasing fossil fuel utilization to counteract the threat of intense cooling that may be cause if an asteroid impacts Yellowstone in the 2100's (low probability). - The IPCC

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

perepelki posted:

legitimately frightening to me that we are in a future where people are going to read linkola's poo poo on ecology and overpopulation and be like "wow this is so true" and then read his poo poo on hitler and non-white people and be like "wow this must be true too", because that's apparently how this pipeline goes

if what you want is to cull the surplus labour pool and terrify the rest of society into submission so the borgeiouse may best prosper you end up going with fascism pretty quick.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Shipon posted:

anyone using the overpopulation argument to refer to the global south should be seen as a nazi, yes. a simple look at the per-capita consumption of resources shows its not africa doing the unsustainable consumption. the suburbs of america should be emptied far before anyone in africa that's for sure

do you support anti-natalism for the global north?

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Hodgepodge posted:

if what you want is to cull the surplus labour pool and terrify the rest of society into submission so the borgeiouse may best prosper you end up going with fascism pretty quick.

like, dude, it's going to be fascism

the earth is becoming inhospitable and depleted

when people realize that the pie is shrinking and the rich are holding onto their pieces, are they going to choose (1) to unite together to defy the elites, or (2) compete with one another to take what they can get / keep

Hubbert has issued a correction as of 04:28 on Aug 14, 2021

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Maybe they'll just vote.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Yearning for just posting bad climate change stuff happening.

this place is feeling like D&D rn

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Can't be D&D there's no pigs.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

silicone thrills posted:

i've noticed an uptick in d&d style posting in several threads that I follow and i'm pretty sure it's just because cspam is more active + less moderated and d&d types are going towards wherever there's active discussion

imo unjustified optimism in the climate thread should get u a sixer and unironically suggesting that voting will help should get u a 69er with an embarassing rap sheet picture

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
https://twitter.com/ClimateAdam/status/1426090693815111682?s=20

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

silicone thrills posted:

As you wish, so shall it be:

The Russian side of the arctic is now more on fire than the rest of the world combined:

quote:

The fires raging in Siberia are bigger than fires in Greece, Turkey, Italy, the United States and Canada combined, with analysts warning that this year could surpass Russia’s worst fire year, 2012, according to Yaroshenko.

[..]

More than 8,600 firefighters, agricultural workers, soldiers and other emergency workers are fighting forest fires that have burned more than 62,300 square miles since the beginning of the year, according to Greenpeace. That’s an area nearly twice the size of Austria.

At the same time, authorities are letting 69 fires burn unhindered because they are too difficult to fight or do not threaten houses or economic infrastructure. These fires have scorched nearly 8,000 square miles — an area nearly 10 times bigger than California’s devastating Dixie Fire.

[..]

More than 100 fires in the United States this year have burned 8,977 square miles, according to the National Interagency Fire Center. In Canada more than 13,000 square miles have burned so far this year in British Columbia and the Yukon, Manitoba and Ontario, according to the Canadian Wildland Fire Information System.

Fires in Turkey burned 681 square miles this year, according to the European Forest Fire Information System. In Greece, fires tore through 424 square miles, and in Italy, 403 square miles burned, the organization said.

Chesapeake Bay is confirmed as super-contaminated by a variety of really toxic chemicals - the same bay which exports filter feeding animals globally.

quote:

Groundwater on military bases along the Chesapeake Bay is contaminated with toxic PFAS “forever chemicals” at levels many times above the level some regulators say is safe for drinking, and they are probably ending up in blue crabs, oysters and other marine life that are consumed by humans.

The Chesapeake Bay holds a diverse ecosystem that stretches about 200 miles from northern Maryland to southern Virginia, and is among the world’s most productive estuaries. Its brackish saltwater is renowned for shellfish like oysters and blue crabs, the latter of which largely drives the state’s $600m seafood industry, which sends its catch across the globe.

[...]

The contamination presents an “extremely troubling” health threat in the nation’s largest estuary, said Scott Faber, EWG’s senior vice president for government affairs.

“We’ve seen higher levels in water, but not many … and it strikes at the heart and, perhaps more importantly, the stomach of everyone who comes from this part of the world,” Faber said.

PFAS, or per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances, are a class of about 9,000 compounds used to make products water, stain or heat resistant. They’re also commonly found in food packaging, clothing and carpeting, and are often dubbed “forever chemicals” because they do not naturally break down.

The compounds are linked to cancer, birth defects, liver disease, thyroid disease, decreased immunity, hormone disruption and a range of other serious health problems.

EWG identified groundwater contamination at every base that has tested for the chemicals, and frequently at levels that are considered extremely high.

The groundwater is hydrologically connected to the bay, and state studies of Hog Point oysters harvested from near Maryland’s Patuxent River Naval Air Station found PFAS levels in the meat as high as 1.1m ppt. A 2020 study conducted in the same area by Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility (PEER) found PFAS levels in striped bass at more than 23,000 ppt, crab meat at about 6,000 ppt and oysters at more than 2,000 ppt.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Complications posted:

As you wish, so shall it be:

The Russian side of the arctic is now more on fire than the rest of the world combined:

Chesapeake Bay is confirmed as super-contaminated by a variety of really toxic chemicals - the same bay which exports filter feeding animals globally.

Yeah that's the stuff

for anyone who wants to share an article about PFAS making dongs smaller - have it at btw https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/mar/18/toxic-chemicals-health-humanity-erin-brokovich

ITS EVEN BY ERIN BROCKOVICH SO YOU CAN SHARE IT WITH LIBS

silicone thrills has issued a correction as of 04:51 on Aug 14, 2021

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

blatman posted:

i've noticed an uptick in d&d style posting in several threads that I follow and i'm pretty sure it's just because cspam is more active + less moderated and d&d types are going towards wherever there's active discussion

imo unjustified optimism in the climate thread should get u a sixer and unironically suggesting that voting will help should get u a 69er with an embarassing rap sheet picture

look i'm doing what i can to promote ecostalinism

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

blatman posted:

we're also right about everything and have the only rational reaction to some pretty bleak poo poo

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!
you: there's no hope, humanity is doomed

me:

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Conspiratiorist posted:

Maybe they'll just vote.

I'm going to vote middle of the road and try to make sure there's a balance of power between the two parties so that we can reach a consensus position on mitigating the worst effects of climate change

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Raine posted:

im still in arizona hELP

i promise that while everywhere is terrible, most places are less terrible than phoenix

please escape

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

Raine posted:

im still in arizona hELP

phoenixes are supposed to turn to ashes

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Hodgepodge posted:

me:

I keep misreading the one panel as "god, yes!"

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

https://twitter.com/aaronAcarr/status/1426387716929998852?s=20

there's a bunch of wilderness we haven't cleared away yet. Once the fires are done scorching the earth in the west coast, we should do more sprawl and growth

it is malthusian to suggest that we should not clear away every last bit of wild and nature that remains and occupy it all with unsustainable sprawl in order to run up the score

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!
population growth in the first world is spurred by immigration, spurred in turn by capitals need for a reserve army of labour to exploit and the crises and/or relative lack of opportunity it creates in their original home regions.

debating what we should fo about this is pointless because the answer is "compassionate integration of refugees into society" and this will not happen for reasons not directly related to the refugees themselves. something else would be required to resolve the contradictions.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

gay_crimes posted:

https://twitter.com/aaronAcarr/status/1426387716929998852?s=20

there's a bunch of wilderness we haven't cleared away yet. Once the fires are done scorching the earth in the west coast, we should do more sprawl and growth

it is malthusian to suggest that we should not clear away every last bit of wild and nature that remains and occupy it all with unsustainable sprawl in order to run up the score
we haven't built ten mile tall arcologies over every square km of the planet's surface so clearly we're not out of room

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Anyone else realize that your family is actually shrinking? Like a lot. Out of 3 in my generation, there's only been 2 kids born in my direct family. If you skip out to my cousins - like 6 cousins - only 2 kids there too.

Kinda cool.

My husband's side is similar. 4 his generation. Only 4 nieces and nephews there too.

These family lines must die.
I wonder if this is common at all or if we're outliers.

Have fewer kids. Use less poo poo.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

Hodgepodge posted:

me:

apatheticman posted:

I keep misreading the one panel as "god, yes!"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

silicone thrills posted:

Anyone else realize that your family is actually shrinking? Like a lot. Out of 3 in my generation, there's only been 2 kids born in my direct family. If you skip out to my cousins - like 6 cousins - only 2 kids there too.

Kinda cool.

My husband's side is similar. 4 his generation. Only 4 nieces and nephews there too.

both sides of my family are mormon, so uh, no not really

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Spergin Morlock posted:

both sides of my family are mormon, so uh, no not really

Welp. Maybe it really will be all Mormons and quiverfulls left in the end.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

silicone thrills posted:

Kinda cool.

Yeah. Only 1 niece and 1 nephew to carry on, and i imagine people wont be too keen on having kids 20 years from now

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

silicone thrills posted:

Kinda cool.

Yep. My sibling has two descendants because of some kind of idk birth control hatred. Also anti-vaxx but hey-o. From my dad's side pretty sparse, maybe a handful of second cousins out of a family of five. My mom's side including my sibling is 3 grandkids for grandma.

Definitely not quiverfull.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
me and my sister are childless, I think our family ends with us

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
quiverfull is a disgusting word and concept

its like those "i stuffed the turkey!" tshirts

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
ending your family line is a noble act

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

ELTON JOHN posted:

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

ELTON JOHN posted:

"I think human consciousness, is a tragic misstep in evolution. We became too self-aware, nature created an aspect of nature separate from itself, we are creatures that should not exist by natural law. We are things that labor under the illusion of having a self; an accretion of sensory, experience and feeling, programmed with total assurance that we are each somebody, when in fact everybody is nobody. Maybe the honorable thing for our species to do is deny our programming, stop reproducing, walk hand in hand into extinction, one last midnight - brothers and sisters opting out of a raw deal."

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1426259778880344070

quote:

The intense heat essentially stopped the snails in their tracks, as their feet burned on the ground. “They stop, and they die,” she said. Others sought shade under terra-cotta roof shingles she put in the greenhouse, but they died, too. She doubted that the ones that succeeded in burrowing beneath the soil, where they often create a wall to preserve their moisture, survived. “It burned underground,” she said.

But that sense of urgency seemed to fade with the high heat. By Thursday evening, Floridia’s young people were back at the local pub, down the road from one of Sicily’s best snail restaurants, carousing over beers. They raced their scooters up and down the street and celebrated birthdays. The previous day’s debilitating heat seemed like another thing to talk about.

“I’ve never seen heat like this,” said Nino Bascetta, 70, who had holed up in his house with three air-conditioners blasting on him on Wednesday. He had shut the windows, drew the curtains and closed the shutters out of fear that the heat would shatter the glass. “It was like hibernating.”

But around 9 p.m., with the heat still baking the city, his wife wanted to see her friends.

“I was tired of being cooped up inside,” said his wife, Angela Cannarella, 66, who sat beside him in a black and white striped dress.

They reached the piazza for a standing appointment in what Mr. Bascetta called the “salon of the old people.”

“It seemed like a good idea,” he said. “It wasn’t.”

After a few minutes, they dripped with sweat and decided to get in the car and pump the air-conditioning.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Lol Floridia

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Haha yeah I read it as florida at first and thought the author had understandably just veered off course and decided to bag on my state for a few paragraphs. really this should be a part of all articles, an aside where florida is lampooned no matter if the article is about high school volleyball or the stock market

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

err posted:

What is UP?

Nm, planet's dying, what's up w/ u?

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
https://twitter.com/mark_lynas/status/1426091806266204165?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
oh no!

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/venezuela-oil-reserves-doomed-become-230000596.html