Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I too will make sure not to buy Hiveswap when Act 3 releases in 2027

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
I think it's cool and normal to accept that the author of something you liked is a big weirdo of varying severity. It doesn't devalue the good experiences you had enjoying that content.

something something author death etc

Psycholonials is a trip and I would ask to not let this whole thing sour you on it. But please only consume the media content you want to consume.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

life_source posted:

I think it's cool and normal to accept that the author of something you liked is a big weirdo of varying severity. It doesn't devalue the good experiences you had enjoying that content.

something something author death etc

Psycholonials is a trip and I would ask to not let this whole thing sour you on it. But please only consume the media content you want to consume.

That's the rational response, not the emotional one!

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
It really sucks because all Sarah Z was trying to say was "in the end we don't know for sure what happened behind the scenes but it would have been nice if the team had given -any- sort of update to the people that funded your project."

And to be clear, I genuinely think this is a case of Hussie severely underestimating what goes in to a project like this and really don't think he was trying to scam anyone.

Edit: also for clarity, I never backed the Kickstarter .. I actually got in to HS because of the KS lol

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 6, 2021

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Well I never played Hiveswap, that whole thing was radioactive from the very start. The public drama always bored me, to the point where I stopped caring about my Kickstarter pledge

I don't know any of these people, so anybody involved in this story could be withholding critical information for good or for dumb reasons. But the whole thing was clearly dysfunctional. Hussie doesn't need to be the CEO of multi-media companies, he needs to be in his room, drawing and writing original stories like a prize workhorse

life_source posted:

Psycholonials is a trip

I use the soundtrack all the time, it's so good. I've had it on in the background at parties, nobody knows wtf it is, but they like it

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

WalrusWhiskers posted:

I regret backing the kickstarter and buying psycholonials. Hussie and What Pumpkin are cancelled (in the original meaning of `cancelled`, for me).

It's a bit of a shame since Homestuck was pretty fun there for a while.

The best part of Homestuck was reading along with this thread and its predecessor.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Happy Landfill posted:

It really sucks because all Sarah Z was trying to say was "in the end we don't know for sure what happened behind the scenes but it would have been nice if the team had given -any- sort of update to the people that funded your project."

And to be clear, I genuinely think this is a case of Hussie severely underestimating what goes in to a project like this and really don't think he was trying to scam anyone.

Edit: also for clarity, I never backed the Kickstarter .. I actually got in to HS because of the KS lol

The nutshell really is the cold shock of whiplashing into being a business owner/administrator. A famously convoluted and terrifying role if you're primarily interested in being an artist. In that situation making rapid fire business decisions on reaction is a rush and ends up digging your own hole in the long run.

When you consider it from that lens it's a very banal, sadly common tragedy.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Yeah, I really, truly think that's all there is to it. At the same time, with how much money he raised and how big the Fandom was he absolutely had to deliver.

Just poor decisions all around.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Hussie just spent all that time when Homestuck was over and fan interest was waning on just the most random poo poo. Like Homestuck 2.0 or that ARG trying to tie poo poo like WW2 to Homestuck’s timeline and just…what? I think they should have just moved on to new work entirely, and trying to keep making Homestuck an enduring brand just did not work.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I tend to think he got sick of Homestuck a lot earlier than he actually walked away from it.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I tend to think he got sick of Homestuck a lot earlier than he actually walked away from it.
Like, when comic started updating again to end the whole thing, I believe very little if any was even drawn by hussie, and the everything after was largely done by contributors. So yeah, I guess you navel gaze about “what is canon” but they were already showing signs of dropping off before the main comic even came to a close.

Honestly, after like seven years where writing and drawing Homestuck was not your job but your entire life from sun up to sun down, I don’t blame them for wanting out.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
It's perfectly reasonable to blame them for taking people's money right before wanting out, though.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Spellman posted:

I use the soundtrack all the time, it's so good. I've had it on in the background at parties, nobody knows wtf it is, but they like it
I'm digging through old hard drives trying to find the two albums Clark took those from. They're so, so good.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Bell_ posted:

I'm digging through old hard drives trying to find the two albums Clark took those from. They're so, so good.

I may aswell just download everything Clark has

https://clarkpowell.bandcamp.com/track/city-of-the-sun

Spellman fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 15, 2021

giovanh
Nov 7, 2020

Bell_ posted:

A lot tracks came directly from Namesake or unreleased HS music team wips.

Together was Day that Never Came and also Someday.
Flare: Insurrection Remix was Flare (Green Sun Remix) from the unreleased HS tracks.
I Have Some Ideas was All But Alone from unreleased tracks.

giovanh fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 17, 2021

Spellman
May 31, 2011

giovanh posted:

A lot tracks came directly from Namesake or unreleased HS music team wips.

Together was Day that Never Came and also Someday.
Flare: Insurrection Remix was Flare (Green Sun Remix) from the unreleased HS tracks.
I Have Some Ideas was All But Alone from unreleased tracks.

Such a good resource

https://soundcloud.com/plazmataz/who-lives-in-love-lives-in-god

Alt Attorney

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM2U5rskC1o

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Oh, swell. Something about the change to Homestuck.com has broken all page links. Like this: https://www.homestuck.com/mspa?s=6&p=004690

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
You know how a lot of beloved celebrities seemed to be dying recently, and someone eventually pointed out that it's because the increase in the total number of celebrities with the rise of mass media has finally synced up with the maximum age range of that generation of celebrities?

I feel like it won't be long now until something very similar happens with beloved works of art more or less vanishing forever.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So I've had my head stuck in a hole since this all started, what is going on with this stuff

Is Homestucksquared updating or

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

There was a big blowup with people harassing the new authors and Hussie announced that he was shutting down the Patreon, that there would be no more spaced-out updates, and that the whole drat thing would come out at once.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Homestuck 2 is so wildly bad it defies belief, Sarah Z did a longass video about it, Hussie contacted her insanely, here we are

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Oh, swell. Something about the change to Homestuck.com has broken all page links. Like this: https://www.homestuck.com/mspa?s=6&p=004690

Worked fine for me this morning. Maybe whatever issue was there was just temporary?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

XkyRauh posted:

Worked fine for me this morning. Maybe whatever issue was there was just temporary?

No, I'm still getting

quote:

The page isn’t redirecting properly
An error occurred during a connection to https://www.homestuck.com.
This problem can sometimes be caused by disabling or refusing to accept cookies.

and I have PrivacyBadger turned off for that site.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Arsenic Lupin posted:

No, I'm still getting

and I have PrivacyBadger turned off for that site.

Weird it works for me.

Also I guess I'm just going to ignore that mess entirely and if I want to read Homestuck again, I'll stick to that offline edition someone made

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

You know how a lot of beloved celebrities seemed to be dying recently, and someone eventually pointed out that it's because the increase in the total number of celebrities with the rise of mass media has finally synced up with the maximum age range of that generation of celebrities?

I feel like it won't be long now until something very similar happens with beloved works of art more or less vanishing forever.
We’ve lost a lot of webcomics already to time, and it’s wild to think that something as insanely popular as Homestuck is also at risk of being lost media because the main site is just falling apart.

Sure, we have unofficial archives, but how long will those be maintained and kept compatible with modern computers?

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

remember when hussie thought he could put homestuck in a book

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Still waiting on those USB offline versions of Hamsteak from the kickstarter

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

subpar anachronism posted:

remember when hussie thought he could put homestuck in a book
Speaking of which, we're probably not going to get any more of those. Someone on the subreddit was emailing Viz about whether there were any books coming after Book 6, which came out in March of last year and ends at the second anniversary of the comic, around the middle of Act 5-2. The communication is a bit vague, but it seems like Viz don't have any plans for further books for the forseeable future. Given how Hussie has supposedly been "separated" from WP and all HS business since that time, I have no idea if there'd even be any commentaries in future volumes.

Honestly, I wouldn't been surprised if Viz feels like they took a giant bath when they purchased HS, and they're not going knock themselves out putting out more material for it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Hussie's commentary was the only worthwhile thing in the books, anyway, since they're incredibly tiny and hard to read.

I'm actually pretty annoyed that they got me to buy the first part of a set and then cancelled it without telling anybody.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Homestuck books were always doomed to fail as a commercial product. Each book has a smaller and smaller audience, so by the time you’re book on 17, you’re getting real lean on profit.

If a Homestuck book was ever going to succeed, it would have been like a decade ago when you had the demand to keep that momentum going. I think the whole Viz deal was them catching onto Homestuck’s popularity too late, or at least thinking Homestuck would maintain a decent audience for a good while instead of Hussie pissing it away by flailing about aimlessly after Act 7.

(Also this November is the 10th Anniversary of Cascade :psyduck:)

Pants Donkey fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Aug 14, 2021

Spellman
May 31, 2011

They should just release the entirety of Act 6 & 7 in one big black GRIMOIRE just like Problem Sleuth

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Pants Donkey posted:

poo poo, this October is the tenth anniversary of this thread.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

And it's still titled "The Final Acts"!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
More like “The Final Axe”

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Pants Donkey posted:

Ah yes. 10 years since the comic stopped being good.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

[S]GAME OVER is awesome.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

controversial opinion: Homestuck is good, actually

giovanh
Nov 7, 2020

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Sometimes mspa.php just stops working until somebody from Viz goes in and manually fixes it. Not sure what the problem is but I've reported it before and gotten "whoops, it was broken, we fixed it now" emails back.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

[S]GAME OVER is awesome.

It was one of the worst flashes for me, all that endless waiting just to see everyone get butchered in comedic ways, the whole thing was uncomfortable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
At that point in the story we knew that Death was recoverable, so actually worrying that maybe the deaths were permanent was a new and exotic rush. And it turns out that once again death is meaningless in the face of protagonist powers.