Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Larryb posted:

The original creators already washed their hands of the project a while back if that tells you anything. But it’ll probably be better than the Shyamalan movie at the very least (one would hope anyway)

The casting call makes it sound like it takes place in a modern day highschool and the characters are just suddenly developing these mysterious never before seen powers.

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

I'm still on the fence, leaning on negative but I'd rather just see what happens with it at this point. Like, I know they're gonna gently caress up Azula if the show can even last to that point as Netflix loves to pull the trigger on a show into its second season, but if they can at least give me something at least passable, I'll be content.

Gotta admit, I'm interested in seeing what they change, favorite brainbroken disasterdork non-withstanding.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Whitenoise Poster posted:

The casting call makes it sound like it takes place in a modern day highschool and the characters are just suddenly developing these mysterious never before seen powers.

lmao

Having read into it, apparently it's actually pretty common for casting calls to include completely erroneous plot details, so take those reports with a grain of salt.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Having read into it, apparently it's actually pretty common for casting calls to include completely erroneous plot details, so take those reports with a grain of salt.

Yeah, in the age of NDAs, especially for big projects like this, virtually no information on a call sheet is accurate for the sake of protecting secrecy.

The go-to example I have for this is Travis Willingham, an already well-established voice actor, going into an audition for a project he was told nothing about to read for a role that was described only to him by the casting director as “a military officer.”

He read a few lines, still in the dark about what the hell he was even auditioning for until he flipped over the script page and saw “SONIC BOOM!” and realized on the spot he was auditioning for Guile and the project was a new Street Fighter game. That’s how hosed up and secretive major casting processes are these days.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, in the age of NDAs, especially for big projects like this, virtually no information on a call sheet is accurate for the sake of protecting secrecy.

The go-to example I have for this is Travis Willingham, an already well-established voice actor, going into an audition for a project he was told nothing about to read for a role that was described only to him by the casting director as “a military officer.”

He read a few lines, still in the dark about what the hell he was even auditioning for until he flipped over the script page and saw “SONIC BOOM!” and realized on the spot he was auditioning for Guile and the project was a new Street Fighter game. That’s how hosed up and secretive major casting processes are these days.

For a second there I thought you meant he was auditioning for the role of Knuckles, since he's both in Sonic Boom and was a military officer/leader of the resistance. :v:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

amigolupus posted:

For a second there I thought you meant he was auditioning for the role of Knuckles, since he's both in Sonic Boom and was a military officer/leader of the resistance. :v:

I had the exact thought myself as I was writing it. "Oh, I could just as easily have been describing his audition for Knuckles in this current industry climate". So I'm glad we're of a mind together in that regard.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Or the new Smash Bros.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think an underrated joke in Centaurworld was Zulius's Hot Goss spell. I love how they used that to make fun of a common narrative/framing device.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So the latest episode of Owl House came out and it seems to officially (as officially as it can without being an explicit crossover) confirm the theory that Eda was Stan Pines' ex-wife, because she used 'Marilyn' as an alias on Earth and we know that's Stan's Ex-Wife's name. Coupled with Stan's discussion of his ex-wife in the DVD commentaries being basically a perfect description of Eda, I'm calling it canon and NOBODY CAN STOP ME!

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

too be fair there's a decent chance he wouldnt even know what sonic boom is in that context. also i dont think thats the worst example, i think theres VAs that dont even know till a work is release.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Yvonmukluk posted:

I'm calling it canon and NOBODY CAN STOP ME!

Some Disney lawyers will be knocking on your door by tomorrow.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

(Minor Centaurworld spoilers:)

Feeling good about my life choices.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwPfzaxzSsM

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Netflix appears to have decided that a number of titles, like Masters of the Universe: Revelation and Little Witch Academia, are not yet available and has removed them from my list. Looking at them on the website just gives me the option to set a reminder for when they become available.

Has anybody else had this problem before?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Just finished watching the first season of Scissor Seven with my son, it's a Chinese cartoon about a Wuxia assassin who's also a hair stylist. Lots of humor, though the action is well done too. Sucks that it has anime-level sexism, but it's probably no worse than, say, My Hero Academia.

MC is voiced by comedian Ronny Chieng (Daily Show) which is cool. Has two seasons + OVA's so far, and I don't know whether I should discuss it here or ADTRW. Here's a trailer: https://youtu.be/WaV2GMIZ3l4

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
https://twitter.com/RobRenzetti/status/1427315737002082306

https://twitter.com/ianjq/status/1427323677037633559

Pakled fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Aug 16, 2021

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

See this is why I'll never get to be a cartoon dood cuz my answer would always be some variant of "The fence you have up your arse."

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I wish you all a comfortable day. Will Jeffrey ever find his jacket?? Whos to say

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

I wish you all a comfortable day. Will Jeffrey ever find his jacket?? Whos to say

He’ll have to fight Glendale for it

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Poor Gebbrey always gets mistaken for other people. First Rider, now this 'Jeffrey' person...

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Look i was enjoying CentaurWorld at my OPTIMAL capacity alright.

You leave jebbery alone now

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Fionna & Cake from Adventure Time getting their own HBO Max show https://deadline.com/2021/08/adventure-time-fionna-cake-series-order-at-hbo-max-1234816460/

quote:

In the ten-episode series, the duo explore their relationship and the mysterious land of Ooo. Fionna and Cake – with the help of the former Ice King, Simon Petrikov – embark on a multiverse-hopping adventure and journey of self-discovery. All the while a powerful new antagonist (determined to track them down and erase them from existence) lurks in the shadows.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

2 out of 3 distant lands episodes were really good (and the other was only pretty good) so as far as i'm concerned that's excellent news

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

ninjewtsu posted:

2 out of 3 distant lands episodes were really good (and the other was only pretty good) so as far as i'm concerned that's excellent news

Which one didn't work for you (as much)?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I'd be way more cynical about this if we didn't have confirmation that Adam Muto was still showrunning

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Open Source Idiom posted:

Which one didn't work for you (as much)?

the bmo one. to me it felt a lot like what i'd generally expect if i was watching AT for the first time and hit next episode, like just getting an extra episode of a good, comfy, fun show. the other two felt like hitting next episode for the first time and getting one of the really good AT episodes, like watching thank you or i remember you for the first time.

as an epilogue of sorts distant lands is really good, both on its own merits and also as a sendoff to AT

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Aug 18, 2021

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i appreciate that the new show premise means either the ice king really did find a way to make fionna and cake real, or simon has gone a little too deep with his coping mechanisms

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Watched Centaurworld, it's pretty fun. It's like watching my six remaining brain cells.

Kinda disappointed when Horse fully turned into the wacky cartoon style- I get that it's easier to draw, but her whole angular realistic style made everything she does much funnier.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Watched Centaurworld, it's pretty fun. It's like watching my six remaining brain cells.

Kinda disappointed when Horse fully turned into the wacky cartoon style- I get that it's easier to draw, but her whole angular realistic style made everything she does much funnier.

I loved what it led up to though, with both (ending discussion) her admission that she had started to forget what Rider looked like, but also the reversal where they finally reunite and for a few seconds it's Rider who doesn't recognise HER. That was a very emotional moment, with Horse approaching her and her hand hovering over her sword hilt. Also I loved the visual gag where the Centaurs are knitting her into a set of footie pajamas and you just see her behind them, coming out in all directions as she gets tossed around. That was hilarious.

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, that whole your body is being forcibly changed into something you don't want - you should stop complaining. Made me really uncomfortable

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

HelleSpud posted:

Yeah, that whole your body is being forcibly changed into something you don't want - you should stop complaining. Made me really uncomfortable

I think that was kind of the point - the centaurs were too naive to understand the implications of what was happening, so Horse taking it badly enough to literally try for suicide was a huge shock to them.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Centaurworld: Man, it's a pity Lea Salonga's character is only there briefly and sings so little (although I'm sure that's the reason they were able to score her for it) but drat that belting voice is a payoff when it comes.

Hope they were just saving most of their uses for season 2, since IIRC this was a single 20-episode order.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Aug 19, 2021

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

I think that was kind of the point - the centaurs were too naive to understand the implications of what was happening, so Horse taking it badly enough to literally try for suicide was a huge shock to them.

That wasn't the point of it at all.

The centaurs being naďve is the point of the centaurs not getting it, which is a separate thing.
It wasn't the point of the change or her reaction to it. But the narrative didn't do anything to dispute the centaurs. She is fully changed and by then just fine with it. There's no looking for a way to change back, no question about how to stop it after the initial, no discussion even, and by the time she meets Rider the only problem is that initially Rider doesn't recognize her, Horse doesn't act like the change itself is a problem at all.

They never made a point to it. It was just dropped.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I had a very nerdy and sillly realisation about Centaurworld that I might as well share; a certain major characterisation thread, mostly the dynamic between Horse and Wammawink, reminds me of a bit in One Piece; the very spoileriffic flashback dynamic between Whitebeard and Oden. For those not familiar and who don't care about spoilers, basically the most paternal of the great pirates who explicitly considers his crew members to be his sons, and an extremely independent, eccentric and powerful samurai who's basically a mix of mostly the more sympathetic traits of Oda Nobunaga. (there's a second character who's implicitly the bad side of Nobunaga, oddly enough) Whitebeard in the original outright addresses his crew members as 'sons', with the possibly unique exception of Oden when he ends up joining the crew, who he calls 'brother', recognising Oden as an equal who voluntarily joins the crew for his own need to see the world.

Wammawink has a fairly similar position as basically the maternal figure of her own herd- being implicitly perhaps the oldest, the most powerful magic, and they depend on her for food as well as direction. And at least the first half of season one is her butting heads with Horse while also coming to an understanding, since Horse has her own agenda and direction but is willing to join the herd to accomplish that. Pointedly, later on when Wammawink is basically comatose for a while because of desperately needed sleep (and implicit PTSD), Horse is the one carrying her and no one questions it at all. Essentially they come to see each other as equals in the herd, even if Wammawink is the nominal leader, listening to each other and trusting each other in appropriate situations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

HelleSpud posted:

That wasn't the point of it at all.

The centaurs being naďve is the point of the centaurs not getting it, which is a separate thing.
It wasn't the point of the change or her reaction to it. But the narrative didn't do anything to dispute the centaurs. She is fully changed and by then just fine with it. There's no looking for a way to change back, no question about how to stop it after the initial, no discussion even, and by the time she meets Rider the only problem is that initially Rider doesn't recognize her, Horse doesn't act like the change itself is a problem at all.

They never made a point to it. It was just dropped.

I can't agree on that - Horse very clearly was taking it really hard throughout the transformation, to the extent that she couldn't handle seeing her own reflection by the end and jumped into a whale. Wammawink had to literally pull her from the brink of death and talk her down by helping her realise that she had friends that would help her through her situation.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Yeah it didn’t come across at all that the show treated Horse’s transformation as anything but body horror.

Well except, you know, as comedy. But I in no way got the vibe of ”turning into a cartoon abomination is a good thing stop fighting and let it happen lol.”

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Maybe she deliberately parallels the Nowhere King? Maybe Humanworld had a similar effect on him as Centaurworld did on Horse as he moved there to be with the Witch, but then he couldn't handle it and went crazy, corrupting his magic and only making things worse in the process.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I could see that. On that note, kinda interested in seeing Seriousworld Waterbaby

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

It's just her in handsom-for-8-seconds mode with literally no other changes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And we have our first trailer for the He-Man reboot (which drops September 16):

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ZXApnj-ztIE

I assume helmet girl is Teela and the one with yellow eyes is the Sorceress?

Also do we have a cast list for this yet? Some of the voices sound kind of familiar to me (I wanna say that’s Antony Del Rio as Man-At-Arms but I’m not sure).