Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

I don't mind the TD mode being kind of brainless because if it was actually hard and as weirdly designed as it is it would be insufferable. As is, it's attainable for anyone who wants to throw time at it, which is like the minimum bar for a game like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

gandlethorpe posted:

So do the quests involving Chouji and Washizu just end on a completely unsettling note, or is there supposed be a follow-up to wrap things up?

Nothing wraps it up neat in a bow, since the general theme of island 3 is "everything's hosed in a bunch of exciting different ways" and you're arriving long after you could make any practical difference to the state of affairs, even if you do fix the thunderstorm. If you've found the notes that Washizu left back in the village that's as much as there is for him.

Most of the quests ultimately end... poorly, but since it doesn't have an explicit quest you might not have seen the entire resolution for Chouji specifically - once he leaves to find his mother, you can find him on the road on the north side of the second island, and then by the shrine in Inazuma City; he makes it out alright, at least.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

inthesto posted:

Tower defense seems to be a lot harder this time around

What's the baby strategy to get through it for those of us that are stupid as hell?

Throw a dart at the wall and pick one turret type at random (not one of the 2 types that are randomly blocked from upgrades each round)
build like 10+ of those plus maybe a couple charities, the +50% damage aura things, and 1-2 elemental reaction support towers. Then roll the upgrade gacha and pick every possible upgrade for your tower of choice. The trap is trying to get fancy with complicated elemental reaction setups with 3 or 4 tower types working together and then trying to spread your upgrades between all of them.

if you want to be extra cheesy bring barbara + kaeya (or any other hydro+cryo units) and freeze any big beefy enemies that look like they're gonna get past your killzone alive, since you can still do that even if you can't do damage

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 14, 2021

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

given we have more islands to go, i wouldn't be surprised if we get more related to Washizu, at least in the vein of maybe actually coming into closer contact with what he was obsessing over. unless they do just want to end it at madman's ravings... but it does kinda feel ripe for exploration a la the Azdaha foreshadowing.

i would really like to see more follow-up with Chouji, specifically something like coming across his mom when we finally get closer/into Sumeru. though i suppose his travel to Snezhnaya will complicate a reunion.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

if you want to be extra cheesy bring barbara + kaeya (or any other hydro+cryo units) and freeze any big beefy enemies that look like they're gonna get past your killzone alive, since you can still do that even if you can't do damage
To add to this, you can ALSO knock over/displace enemies, so if you have someone like Diluc whose regular attack chain has a solid amount of knockdown potential, poise breaking, whatever on it, you can buy yourself some time by staggering dudes with it

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

No Wave posted:

It's Venti's fault. I'm ok with it except the nobunshi should have a cooldown on their jump backwards.

Restart until electro + pyro arent banned, then only place electro/pyro and buy good electro/pyro power ups. You'll be rolling a lot.

Generally just aim for an elemental reaction that isn't banned. Bring Jean, Kazuha, hydro and cryo so you can freeze or spread elements and stagger enemies. Anemo traveler or geo traveler might work in a pinch.

Does anyone else find it weird that there isn't a geo turret? I guess because geo reactions do less than nothing in this case, but they could at least be a blocker or just a hard hitting elemental turret. Maybe when the sumeru version comes out there might be if there's a relevant geo/dendro reaction that isn't crystallise.

Lobsterpillar fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Aug 14, 2021

kater
Nov 16, 2010

The pebble shooters shoot pebbles.

I guess they don’t react but uh yeah.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

No Wave posted:

You have VERY good characters. Ayaka/Kazuha/(Xingqiu or Barbara)/Rosaria is an easy team one.

Your team 2 you have a ton of options. Diluc/Xingiu/Bennett/Sucrose works ok, Childe/Bennett/Xiangling/Sucrose works once you get Xiangling C4, Sucrose/Fischl/Xingqiu/Beidou works.

It's hard for Ningguang to measure up to your other characters without Zhong Li or Albedo, the best choice would I guess be Ningguang/Geo MC/Bennett/Xiangling.
By the way, revisiting this, I've levelled up my Ayaka/Kaz/Barbara/Rosaria team and it's so stupidly fun that I'm now just using up Fragile Resins to do more domains with it. God drat it's satisfying. Thanks again!

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Lobsterpillar posted:

Generally just aim for an elemental reaction that isn't banned. Bring Jean, Kazuha, hydro and cryo so you can freeze or spread elements and stagger enemies. Anemo traveler or geo traveler might work in a pinch.

Does anyone else find it weird that there isn't a geo turret? I guess because geo reactions do less than nothing in this case, but they could at least be a blocker or just a hard hitting elemental turret. Maybe when the sumeru version comes out there might be if there's a relevant geo/dendro reaction that isn't crystallise.

the "Crack Shot" turret is the "geo" turret. It doesn't actually do geo damage, though, it does physical, but it has high impact damage to break geo shields. You can run Cryo/Electro with them to cause superconduct for more damage from your crack shots, and there's a stick that boosts superconducts even more

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's here :swoon:

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Touching the shield knocks it back and reduces its movement speed. It took me a couple of minutes to notice why I wasn't progressing to the next round

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
They brought back theatre mechanicus, which I liked, but they kinda made it worse.

Making progression match based isn't necessarily a dumb idea, but making it entirely be a random cards thing is terrible. Diversifying your towers seems like a bad idea now.
Staring at cards/rerolling cards does fill the time better than the nothing we had before, but that's not good gameplay either and does nothing to address the actual problems.

I guess it's a different strokes thing, but the few rounds I played just got me annoyed rather than providing the experience I used to enjoy.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Alright, now I see why Xinyan and Sayu are on the same banner. You can do some goofy stuff with these two.

https://i.imgur.com/7I1uN9f.mp4

I guess with Diona you could roll around with cryo, which would be good for... something.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Aw man. Why did they make the lvl 30 world ascenion automatic. Now I am hosed.

I ascended my world with the 25 quest after switching to PC because I just couldn't handle mobile controls against the cube, or any boss mob that needs dodging tbh.

Queue me being lvl 29 from retroactive XP and reaching 30 and getting the Next World ascension while gathering Character leveling materials. Now everything is tough as nails and I can't beat the geo prymovishawhatever that I need to kill to ascend Yanfei because that mob is now lvl 50 and I do zero damage.

I take it I can't lower the world level, right?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Maxwell Adams posted:

Alright, now I see why Xinyan and Sayu are on the same banner. You can do some goofy stuff with these two.

Hmm, you made me want to check if Sayu's roll can be canceled into a burst (specifically Xinyan's for that satisfying Smash Bros hit effect) using the switch-and-use-burst shortcut, and it can! Think of all the possibilities. If only miHoYo would let us remap the controls to make the key combination something less awkward.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Hopper posted:

I ascended my world with the 25 quest after switching to PC because I just couldn't handle mobile controls against the cube, or any boss mob that needs dodging tbh.

Queue me being lvl 29 from retroactive XP and reaching 30 and getting the Next World ascension while gathering Character leveling materials. Now everything is tough as nails and I can't beat the geo prymovishawhatever that I need to kill to ascend Yanfei because that mob is now lvl 50 and I do zero damage.

You eventually unlock the ability to lower world level by 1.... at WL5 / AR40.
For now you can find some buddies (or random internet strangers) to co-op with.

If you're having damage problems you should focus on upgrading your weapon first though. (And then get some basic +attack artifacts to +4 or +8.) Character level adds very little attack, though it improves your hp and defense a lot more and it unlocks new passives and whatnot.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

That almost makes me feel better about pulling 2 Xinyans so far.

Except it doesn't.

Give me the claymore hedgehog damnit!

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Maxwell Adams posted:

I guess with Diona you could roll around with cryo, which would be good for... something.

you can ice bridge with a cryo-infused Sayu

Ayaka already powercrept, the mind reels 😱

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I wish they fixed aiming archers/Sayu rolling getting stuck on every little piece of geometry.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Hopper posted:

If you're not already on the Discord, join up and ask some of us higher AR people to come in and help you.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Hopper posted:

You can change your world level by 1 (and only 1) once every 24 hours. It's there on your name banner when you open up the menu.

edit: World acensions have quests on the fives but are automatic on the zeroes. Also, your reward potential is less when you lower your world level. just something to keep in mind.

hiddenriverninja fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Aug 14, 2021

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The primo geovishap is really, really hard as far as bosses in this game go, and has tons of hp. It has a stupid mechanic where you can reflect its breath attacks (you get a text prompt) with Noelle's shield to take out ~15% of its hp.

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

By the way, revisiting this, I've levelled up my Ayaka/Kaz/Barbara/Rosaria team and it's so stupidly fun that I'm now just using up Fragile Resins to do more domains with it. God drat it's satisfying. Thanks again!
That's awesome! Such a fun comp, so glad you like it.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Hopper posted:

I stupidly brute forced my way through my 35 ascension quest when I wasn't really ready for it and it made everything completely miserable for 2 weeks. I needed to boost my power levels to survive, but doing so meant tackling the hardest content available to me at the time (bosses and domains) which was a slog. Couldn't beat the Geovishap for Yanfei without leveling Noelle so her shield was worth a drat, couldn't beat the Geo Cube without leveling up my weapons, etc. I feel your pain.

It made me real gunshy, so I've been sitting at 45 for a long time, putting off my ascension quest while I chip away at getting everyone I care about ascended.

Kale
May 14, 2010

No Wave posted:

The primo geovishap is really, really hard as far as bosses in this game go, and has tons of hp. It has a stupid mechanic where you can reflect its breath attacks (you get a text prompt) with Noelle's shield to take out ~15% of its hp.

That's awesome! Such a fun comp, so glad you like it.

All the newer bosses noticeably keep me on my toes at world level 5 a bit throughout the fights, but anything in Mondstadt is pretty much cake so they've definitely made them harder mechanically as the games gone on. I've also found virtually any daily commission I've gotten in Inazuma more tricky than anything in Mondstadt or Liyue. Mondstadt is clearly the beginners region, Liyue is a step up in complexity and mechanics and Dragonspine and Inazuma are kind of playing for keeps a bit, especially the western islands of Inazuma with all the thunderstorms and poo poo.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I'm hesitant to go up another WL because I can steamroll through enemies at WL6 but then I go to Inazuma and I am actually dying.

Stealthy frost clouds in the rain, robots attacking me with no visible health bars, and samurai with more health than some bosses.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Pssst look for the one with the health bar. And also giant circle around it.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I complained once that Eula felt more glass cannon than other carries but boy howdy that was paradise compared Yoimiya. Arrows have like no stagger I guess.

It doesn’t help that I’ve also been attacking Magoo Kenki with her who is like king poo poo of poo poo mountain but she murders the gently caress out of him and then I miss a dodge and she’s 100% dead period. I’ve gotten the habit of just swapping characters for its warp attacks just because getting pinged on Yoi is way too fatal.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

well you know how people say Klee is fragile, yeah they gave Yoimiya almost the same base stats. Eula has both higher bases and will be carrying around a 30-60% def boost on top of that

Yoimiya is definitely yet another character that appreciates shields a lot since she's got a limited damage window and any interruption to her NA chain means a loss in damage. so uh Zhongli ftw i guess

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
how large is the radius on Zhongli's resistance shred anyways
do you end up having to stand in melee range as a bow gamer for the damage boost?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yes, if you desperately wanted that res shred instead of just having a VV on the team. not like Yoi is a very long ranged character to begin with, at least when someone like Yanfei is the bar

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I just finally crowned my level 90 Ganyu's attack and got her Prototype Crescent to 90 and suddenly things don't seem hard at all. :haw: 17k charged + 28k bloom crits are pretty silly.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Oh boy, an upgrade for my ER sands

Now I can trade C.Rate for ER on my flower

:bisonyes: that'll do

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

Add me to the list of people enjoying my newly acquired perma freeze team thanks to Ayaka. I tried Oceanid today and despite getting a ton of the drat hawks I was still able to destroy everything with ease. Xingqiu and Barbara are finally going to see ascension beyond 50/50! :dance:

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Space Opera posted:

Add me to the list of people enjoying my newly acquired perma freeze team thanks to Ayaka. I tried Oceanid today and despite getting a ton of the drat hawks I was still able to destroy everything with ease. Xingqiu and Barbara are finally going to see ascension beyond 50/50! :dance:

How are you taking care of the hawks? just normal bows? I can deal with everything but them

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I swap out my Barbara for Ningguang on my freeze team for Oceanid fights, the stupid arena breaks her shield-wall instantly but her basic attacks generate enough shielding that the birds aren't a problem, and then I swap her out for Ayaka/Kaz hypermurdering for everything that isn't a dumb bird.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

one weird trick: Rosaria can hit birds with both her skill and burst. just get underneath them

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

hiddenriverninja posted:

How are you taking care of the hawks? just normal bows? I can deal with everything but them

C6 Fischl, who I ran as my sub DPS for a while so she's pretty built up. They go down very quickly to her machine gun Oz assisted attacks. I was hoping that Ayaka's skill could reach them but no dice.

Edit: you don't NEED her to be C6, that just speeds things up, but do give her some kind of Atk% bow rather than Stringless/Windblume if you're using her auto attacks to take out the hawks/storks.

Space Opera fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Aug 15, 2021

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

I swap out my Barbara for Ningguang on my freeze team for Oceanid fights, the stupid arena breaks her shield-wall instantly but her basic attacks generate enough shielding that the birds aren't a problem, and then I swap her out for Ayaka/Kaz hypermurdering for everything that isn't a dumb bird.

I ended up using this strat and it worked, thanks! still don't know what to do about that Submerge move the boss does that seems like an OHKO though.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

So I pulled Yoimiya quite early while trying to find a Sayu. I've got Rust or the Inazuma bow to toss on her, but what's the general consensus for artifact set ideas?

I've got time to farm as it'll take me a while of running her boss for ascension mats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

hiddenriverninja posted:

I ended up using this strat and it worked, thanks! still don't know what to do about that Submerge move the boss does that seems like an OHKO though.
Supposedly you can dodge it by jumping into the water fully before it goes off but since I play without sound I don't know what the audio cue is at the end of the subtitled boss line. I just use one of the longer burst animations to invuln through it and hope for the best, when it happens.