Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

The Postman posted:

Can anybody recommend a pair of wireless earbuds or IEMs that might be suitable for doing yardwork or exercising? I've gone through tons of cheap wired earbuds through the years and it's always a pain in the rear end getting the wire caught on something and yanking them out of my ears. Not particularly worried about sound quality for these purposes.

beats flex if you care about apple ecosystem integration, anker soundbud curve otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Probably counter to this thread, generally, but Skullcandy Sesh Evo's are 30-40 bucks and are good enough sounding for me, and cheap enough to lose!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Something I learned today: RHA apparently exclusively uses 80 year olds with severe upper range hearing loss to tune their IEMs.

Had a chance to try a CL750, holy gently caress was it bad. So much treble it was the audio equivalent of jamming a nail through your eardrum and I could only tolerate it for a few minutes. How on earth does anyone think this is a good product?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Some people only listen at very low volume levels because they don't understand DB A weighting for human ears. They just read on the internet you need to stay below like 75db for hearing protection so they do that and my god, what a boring existance. 75DB non-a weighted is whisper level.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
The CL750 measures as having a ~20db pinna gain, and from experience I'd say that's right on the mark. Listening at extremely low volumes would only make it seem that there's zero bass or midrange.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

trem_two posted:

I have the latest absurd hype train Chi-Fi IEMs, Geek Wold GK10. The shells are ridiculous (polished wood in a 3D heart shape), 2DD 1BA 1 piezo hybrid set. I don’t think they’re particularly good.

They do have decent separation in the mids and treble, which I’m guessing people are latching onto? They have massive bloated mid bass, so mids are heavily warm and thick sounding. Meanwhile they’re missing sub bass rumble and extension. I also think they are lacking some upper mids presence, it feels like they’re both missing details and also just lacks any real bite or presence for a lot of vocals and guitars.

Well well well, lovely Chi Fi quality control strikes again. Someone on head-fi had described their disappointment in their Geek Wolds that was very similar to my take, but then they discovered that the pinhole sized vents in their shells were clogged with glue, and clearing those out fixed it. And as it turns out, that was exactly the problem with my set. Now I see why these are hyped, they're actually a lot of fun. V-shaped Chi Fi done right, with solid technical abilities and convincing vocals for the price ($46 - and that includes a pretty nice cable that I'd be happy using on my more expensive IEMs).

GoonyMcGoonface
Sep 11, 2001

Friends don't left friends do ECB
Dinosaur Gum
I've already got the headphones that I wear when I want to listen (Etymotic ER3SE), and the headphones I wear when I want not to listen to the poo poo going on around me (Bose QC 35 II, because I'm basic). What I need now is the best ~<$10 headphones that I can buy. Headphones I can buy six of and cram into every jacket, suitcase, backpack, and anywhere else that I can think of I might have on me when I wouldn't want to bring a set of headphones that I care about, nor ones I'd care if get crushed in closing subway doors/left behind in a hotel room/stolen from my pocket/run through the washing machine (all cut-from-the-headlines examples).

Before now, I've basically been going into CVS and buying whatever headphones they had that was the cheapest whenever I find myself without, but that strategy is becoming annoying. Half the time, the things manage to sound worse than nothing, and the other half they're gouging holes into my ears with sharp plastic.

At this price range, I don't expect quality. Hell, I don't expect it to even sound /good/. I'm happy with the Dominos of headphones: something cheap that's probably not going to give me food poisoning.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Xiaomi Piston have been recommended in the past, though I can't personally vouch: https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32846727133.html

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Xiaomi Piston have been recommended in the past, though I can't personally vouch: https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32846727133.html

I have these and they are decent enough for that price.

Not going to win any awards obviously.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
If you have exactly ten united states dollars and no more, get the snow lotus: https://www.amazon.com/FAAEAL-Snow-lotus-Earphone-Earphones-Transparent/dp/B07BQ1KJNJ?th=1

If you need isolation then step up a notch to the BLON BL-03 which has been sitting atop the throne of ludicrously good deals in audio for a surprisingly long time.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

If you need isolation then step up a notch to the BLON BL-03 which has been sitting atop the throne of ludicrously good deals in audio for a surprisingly long time.

So I’ve been eyeballing these forever but what the hell are the difference between these 3?

Probably gonna get the ones with a mic

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I think they're all the same thing except with different amazon no name junk seller titles on the listing? Aside from having mic or not.

Be careful of the cable! Gf pulled hers right apart quite easily and finding a replacement can be sorta tricky. I think they were easier to find in the US though, on Canada amazon they were like almost the same price as the drat headphones

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Looking to upgrade my open backs.

Budget: 300-400$
Region: Japan
DAC/Amp: Topping E30/L30 stack (non exploding revision)
Source: FLAC, 24bit, DSD
Genres: jazz, progressive rock, art rock/pop, metal, electronic (not EDM)
Previous headphones: AKG Q701

I was really hoping my new amp stack would bring these AKGs to life but I'm still not crazy about them. I think the pads are so worn down I may not be getting the true experience, but I don't want to sink money into new pads and potentially dislike the sound signature change.

Are the Sundaras still considered one of the better buys around 350?
In Japan I can get the Sundaras for a normal price but Sennheiser is overpriced, and I don't want to import.
The ATH-R70X are also available, as are most ChiFi options.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

MarcusSA posted:

So I’ve been eyeballing these forever but what the hell are the difference between these 3?

Probably gonna get the ones with a mic

They are all the same, the importer to the USA is the name difference.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
linsoul has 'em for $11 less, I'd buy them there and put the difference into a good 2-pin cable.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Assuming you're not buying direct from Ali for whatever reason is there any importer worth a toss aside from Linsoul or Shenzen Audio?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Penon audio is pretty good, they're in HK.

e: i knew i should have mentioned the tanya but i kinda wanted to see how long it would take before redeyes kramered in with the rec

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 16, 2021

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Amazon has the Bl-03 for 38. But they can be had for around $24 a lot.

BUT what you really want is a Tanchjim Tanya! I like it better.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Foxtrot_13 posted:

They are all the same, the importer to the USA is the name difference.

Ok thanks I just ordered the Linsoul ones. I’ve been using these Mi ones for a while but I’d like something a bit better so the BLON should be a good upgrade.

Thanks!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Penon audio is pretty good, they're in HK.

e: i knew i should have mentioned the tanya but i kinda wanted to see how long it would take before redeyes kramered in with the rec

“no, not Denon. Penon. Pen-on. With a P. Whaddaya mean you can’t find it?”

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I got my BLON 03s today and yeah they really are drat good for $40. Very clean sounding.

Very happy with them.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

What are a reasonable option for on or over ear noise cancelling headphones with a mic for calls? Bluetooth would be nice, too, but is the first feature I'd give up to avoid spending a lot. Let's say, under $200 would be ideal?

I thought the AKG Y50BT looked good, but the site that originally made it look like it had noise-cancellation appears to be wrong, and they're actually not noise-cancelling.

edit: Looks like deeply discounted (I.e. $150) Beats Solo Pro scratch this itch.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 17, 2021

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001
Are there any true wireless IEMs that have great quality and most importantly have the ear dildo fit like Etymotics? Price is no object unless they're like $800+. I have weird ears and basically no IEMs except for Etys fit.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Was recommended to me here before, why dont you get a set of Radians custom earplugs and just attach that to whatever? The new Klipsch T5 IIs are sposed to be good though and have patented oval tips that might work for you

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’ve been using these BLON 03s for about 6 hours now but I’m really not the biggest fan of the cable that came with them. Is there a better option out there? I don’t mind an AliExpress link if that’s the only option.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

MarcusSA posted:

I’ve been using these BLON 03s for about 6 hours now but I’m really not the biggest fan of the cable that came with them. Is there a better option out there? I don’t mind an AliExpress link if that’s the only option.

Aliexpress or eBay should have tons of options. I bought a no-name 8 core cable that was a nice upgrade for $16 shipped a while back, and there is no upper limit on how much you could spend. You need a cable with a 0,78mm connector.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
If the problem is the ear hook, you can use a hair dryer, heat the thing up and re-mold it to fit.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

redeyes posted:

If the problem is the ear hook, you can use a hair dryer, heat the thing up and re-mold it to fit.

That’s a good tip! It’s not exactly that I just don’t care for how the cable feels and it seems to get tangled really easy and since it’s plastic coated it sticks together when I am trying to untangle it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

My Aria's finally arrived and my first impression is good lord these are comfortable.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

MarcusSA posted:

That’s a good tip! It’s not exactly that I just don’t care for how the cable feels and it seems to get tangled really easy and since it’s plastic coated it sticks together when I am trying to untangle it.

Yeah the cable is widely considered not great, basically any decent .78 2-pin will do. I spent like 11 bux on an aliexpress cable that's much more serviceable. I should get something that actually feels nice for how often I use them though.

BL-03 + ePro horn tips is a pretty amazing combo. I keep coming back to them.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I found my ER4s! They must've fallen off a shelf and were on the floor behind it. The bad news is the connector is hosed, again, so only the left side works and only sometimes.

I'll try repairing once more, but other there any decent options for complete replacement? I've seen some on ebay for like $70 but I've no idea of they're any good. The original one is very microphonic so that's one thing I'd like to improve. OTOH, other than the jack it's in perfect condition after all these years.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Im an absolutely massive Ety fan. In fact they queued me into correct tuning a while ago. BUT the fit is horrible for my ears so I set out to find another set that did the same thing. Ended up with the Shouer EJ07 which is a pretty penny, but its like an ety on roids. It's my spirit animal.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The Ali sale prices are up and the Tanyas are £15 in the sale so I'm probably going to at least try them at that price.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

ePro horn tips

How's the isolation on these? My complys have all worn out but I don't think I could lose the isolation of foam tips.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Hello thread, I'm looking to do 2 things that I'm thinking could maybe be 1 device:
1. A dongle DAC/amp that I can connect via USB C or Lightning to my phone, computer, iPad, etc.
2. A bluetooth receiver

I found stuff like the Fiio BTR3/BRT5 that seem like they would work but there's differing opinions about lightning compatibility. Does anyone know of other similar things? My headphones aren't particularly hard to drive so I'm mostly worried about it working smoothly and reliably with my mostly-Apple pile of devices.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

qirex posted:

Hello thread, I'm looking to do 2 things that I'm thinking could maybe be 1 device:
1. A dongle DAC/amp that I can connect via USB C or Lightning to my phone, computer, iPad, etc.
2. A bluetooth receiver

I found stuff like the Fiio BTR3/BRT5 that seem like they would work but there's differing opinions about lightning compatibility. Does anyone know of other similar things? My headphones aren't particularly hard to drive so I'm mostly worried about it working smoothly and reliably with my mostly-Apple pile of devices.

Any reason why you aren’t just using the Apple lightning and USB-C dongles? They’re fragile as hell (I just broke my first lightning dongle after 8 months, probably gonna put some shrink wrap on my next one to try to reinforce it) but they’re also $9 a pop and they’re top-tier DACs especially for the money

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

qirex posted:

2. A bluetooth receiver

I recently bought a iFi Hip-DAC that arrived yesterday and so far it’s working just fine with my iPhone and Mac Mini. It’s small, sounds good, and I bought it because it can both charge and play at the same time. To connect to my iPhone I use the lightning->USB camera connector from Apple.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Any reason why you aren’t just using the Apple lightning and USB-C dongles? They’re fragile as hell (I just broke my first lightning dongle after 8 months, probably gonna put some shrink wrap on my next one to try to reinforce it) but they’re also $9 a pop and they’re top-tier DACs especially for the money

I had some heat shrink on one that wasn't moved around and it broke within a week, id recommend some tubing or similar to make the whole thing rigid.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I've had the USB-C one on my desk for more than a year and it is working fine. I took one look at the lightning DAC, imagined it dangling off my phone in my pocket, and decided bluetooth was an inevitability

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Ok Comboomer posted:

If I can't find this single device that does everything that's probably my backup plan.