Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

A coworker of mine just got an electric Brompton. I don't love where they put the battery (in a bag mounted where a front basket would go), but overall it's probably a fantastic bike and the n+1 is calling to me.

Edit: new page tax. Here's his picture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Safety Dance posted:

I don't love where they put the battery (in a bag mounted where a front basket would go)

Where else would it go? Most places close to the frame are impinged upon when the bike is folded up.
You could make a little saddle bag for it, but then the wire would have to go across the folding joint to get to the front wheel, making it a bit more of a chore to make sure everything is clear when folding / unfolding.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

Where else would it go? Most places close to the frame are impinged upon when the bike is folded up.
You could make a little saddle bag for it, but then the wire would have to go across the folding joint to get to the front wheel, making it a bit more of a chore to make sure everything is clear when folding / unfolding.

I understand the design trade-offs that were made. It could be mid-drive with a mid-mounted battery, or rear-drive with a rear-mounted battery, but I'm sure there are dozens of good reasons why it's front-drive. I just don't love the look of the battery where it is. I'd still love to get one for taking on a train.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

kimbo305 posted:

Obviously different folding designs than the Brompton, but i've seen at least two other options lately:

Blix Vika+

BikesDirect Insurance Liability 6500

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Those are both valid, but don't fit with the specific Brompton design. The Brompton rear triangle swings up and butts into the back of the seat tube, so can't put the battery there unless it was the size of a sub sandwich.
The rack would work, but would need to be unmounted before folding to not drag on the ground, unless again the battery were extremely low profile.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I don't see any room to slap a 18650 based battery pack in here. Any attempt to use up the available space would need to be some custom engineered lipo packs if not an entire redesign of the bike itself.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Copenhagen style wheel, I suppose. Only recently learned that they don't produce that anymore.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

Has anyone heard anything about Blix? I'm looking for a sub-$3000 long-tail cargo bike and my options are basically the Blix Packa Genie and Radwagon 4. I'm not thrilled with Rad's use of proprietary wheels and I'm sure they're both using the same geared hub motor. The Packa Genie is a bit new and I see a 2 year old Gen 1 Packa for sale near by in "non working condition" which again has me concerned about longevity.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The Packa also has a hub motor with a freewheel, so has the same limitation with not upgrading past 7 gears.

SamsCola
Jun 5, 2009
Pillbug

Jonny Quest posted:

Has anyone heard anything about Blix? I'm looking for a sub-$3000 long-tail cargo bike and my options are basically the Blix Packa Genie and Radwagon 4. I'm not thrilled with Rad's use of proprietary wheels and I'm sure they're both using the same geared hub motor. The Packa Genie is a bit new and I see a 2 year old Gen 1 Packa for sale near by in "non working condition" which again has me concerned about longevity.

Rad uses Bafang motors, where's Blix seems to use Shengyi. Not sure what, if any, technical difference between them.

Are you just worried about not being able to find replacement tires and tubes later on, with the weird size?

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

SamsCola posted:

Are you just worried about not being able to find replacement tires and tubes later on, with the weird size?

Pretty much, with the dodgy supply chain around I didn't want to wait months for Rad to get a tube or tire in stock where 20", 24", and 26" stuff is relatively easy to find. This e-bike business is a rabbit hole and now I'm looking at rolling my own BBSHD or TSDZ2 build. But that will also put me into the 2-3k realm really, really fast. This is all for school drop-off use because it's a 20% grade for most of the route and I can barely cut it with gravel bike + tow-a-bike.

Plus, all the other cool dads are riding RadRunner Pluses.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
My wife just got a job and we have one car so I'm looking into a good budget ebike for me to do small errands and take the kiddo to school. Anyone have input on good brands or bad ones? I've settled for now on a radwagon or a blix packa, and if this becomes long term I'll consider spending on over if the more seriously expensive ones. Besides performance and quality, my big concern is long term support; our current bikes are Freways, and the batteries stopped working and company just disappeared a couple years later so we couldn't get then working again (at least they work as normal bikes).

Edit: should probably read the last page of two of the thread first, looks like some similar conversation already...

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Aug 17, 2021

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

PageMaster posted:

I've settled for now on a radwagon or a blix packa, and if this becomes long term I'll consider spending on over if the more seriously expensive ones.
So you're planning to just resell the one you buy now at some point and upgrade?

quote:

Besides performance and quality, my big concern is long term support; our current bikes are Freways, and the batteries stopped working and company just disappeared a couple years later so we couldn't get then working again

Shimano, Bosch and Bafang all have 2 year warranties, which is a little on the short side. You might be dealing with them and not the bike manufacturer, which is a double edged sword. Inconvenient if the brand is still supporting the bike, a lifeline if the brand won't help you or is out of business.

But depending on your answer above, it might not matter.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

So you're planning to just resell the one you buy now at some point and upgrade?

Shimano, Bosch and Bafang all have 2 year warranties, which is a little on the short side. You might be dealing with them and not the bike manufacturer, which is a double edged sword. Inconvenient if the brand is still supporting the bike, a lifeline if the brand won't help you or is out of business.

But depending on your answer above, it might not matter.

If this ends up being our new normal for the next 2 years and I decide I'm happy biking everywhere here and my kid adjusts then yes. An expensive test run if the ebike lifestyle, but if it's a good fit I think worth trying out before the alternative of buying another car.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 17, 2021

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Anyone know if it’s possible to refit a Bosch down tube battery from one bike manufacturer to another? Like say a 650w battery from a scott bike to use in a trek or specialized bike with otherwise the same battery but different casing and locking mechanism?

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop
I'm looking at an ebike to replace my car as much as possible, and the guy at the local shop is pointing me towards a Bulls Evo cross lite. I haven't seen anyone mention bulls here, and it is a pretty expensive bike (but m willing to spend if it means I rarely ever drive again).

what's the general consensus around Bulls?

also, if I'm 5'0 with long legs and short arms, what kind of adjustments should I expect to make to fit the bike to me?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I have trouble justifying the cost of that over say, a Tern HSD:
https://www.ternbicycles.com/us/bikes/471/hsd-s11
or a cheaper one:
https://www.ternbicycles.com/us/bikes/471/hsd-p9

Bulls might be legit, but I know of them as the knockoff bike helmet brand.

The Terns are one size fits all, but should be fairly easily adjustable down to your size. They claim down to 4'11", so it could be close.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Personally I’d go for a specialized turbo with that budget, they do flat bar and drop bar versions with rear rack and if anything are conservative with the predicted range.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Looking for an eBike for new neighborhood- will be condensing down to 1 car for the family and using a portion of selling my car for an ebike

Budget flexible but up to 5k isn’t a huge deal; above that I have to think a bit harder but can go higher is something seems absurdly perfectly tailored

Want something that will primarily be used throttle-only (have a bunch of real bikes for when I want to scratch that itch)

Currently looking at the Juiced Scrambler on the low end, Luna on the middle (all OOS at the moment), and Onyx RCR on the upper end (long wait time).

Open to thoughts or ideas. Mostly be 10-20mi trips or less.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Walked posted:

Looking for an eBike for new neighborhood- will be condensing down to 1 car for the family and using a portion of selling my car for an ebike

Budget flexible but up to 5k isn’t a huge deal; above that I have to think a bit harder but can go higher is something seems absurdly perfectly tailored

Want something that will primarily be used throttle-only (have a bunch of real bikes for when I want to scratch that itch)

Currently looking at the Juiced Scrambler on the low end, Luna on the middle (all OOS at the moment), and Onyx RCR on the upper end (long wait time).

Open to thoughts or ideas. Mostly be 10-20mi trips or less.

How about a Sur Ron?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Duck and Cover posted:

How about a Sur Ron?

Was on the radar too; cant seem to find anywhere to buy other than Luna's listing which is OOS with no ETA. Hits the mark pretty well, though

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop

kimbo305 posted:

I have trouble justifying the cost of that over say, a Tern HSD:
https://www.ternbicycles.com/us/bikes/471/hsd-s11
or a cheaper one:
https://www.ternbicycles.com/us/bikes/471/hsd-p9

Bulls might be legit, but I know of them as the knockoff bike helmet brand.

The Terns are one size fits all, but should be fairly easily adjustable down to your size. They claim down to 4'11", so it could be close.

hey this was a great tip, thanks! i went and test-rode a Vektron Q9 at another shop today and i really enjoyed it! I'm open to any other suggestions folks have like these

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Walked posted:

Have you at least entertained the idea of an electric motorcycle instead?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Pucklynn posted:

I'm looking at an ebike to replace my car as much as possible, and the guy at the local shop is pointing me towards a Bulls Evo cross lite. I haven't seen anyone mention bulls here, and it is a pretty expensive bike (but m willing to spend if it means I rarely ever drive again).

also, if I'm 5'0 with long legs and short arms, what kind of adjustments should I expect to make to fit the bike to me?
That step through frame is gonna suuuuuck. There's no way to make that rigid enough with the tiny brace and large wheels.

Pucklynn posted:

hey this was a great tip, thanks! i went and test-rode a Vektron Q9 at another shop today and i really enjoyed it! I'm open to any other suggestions folks have like these
We have a first gen GSD and we're quite happy with it. I'd get an HSD if I were you unless you really need the folding functionality.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

CopperHound posted:

Have you at least entertained the idea of an electric motorcycle instead?

I’m certainly open to it and have my endorsement- but everything in that space seems double what I’m aiming to spend. Am I missing an option?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
OK this may be opening a can of worms but do any ebikes have an auditory warning system the way an electric car does? I was walking on the path yesterday and those folks who ride at full throttle and don't call / ring their bell can be difficult to detect / process the sound until they're really close. I think it would be nice if those could be included. Programming your own would be nice. My car makes a harp sound but Teslas can be programmed for other stuff, so at least it'd be fun if you sound like a TIE Fighter.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Charles posted:

OK this may be opening a can of worms but do any ebikes have an auditory warning system the way an electric car does? I was walking on the path yesterday and those folks who ride at full throttle and don't call / ring their bell can be difficult to detect / process the sound until they're really close. I think it would be nice if those could be included. Programming your own would be nice. My car makes a harp sound but Teslas can be programmed for other stuff, so at least it'd be fun if you sound like a TIE Fighter.

Garmin makes a radar that'll pick up cars, might pick up bicycles too. https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/601468

edit: Oh that's not what your talking about my bad. I suppose you could attach one to yourself and get kind of what you want.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 17, 2021

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop

evil_bunnY posted:

That step through frame is gonna suuuuuck. There's no way to make that rigid enough with the tiny brace and large wheels.

We have a first gen GSD and we're quite happy with it. I'd get an HSD if I were you unless you really need the folding functionality.

well, i put a deposit on a Tern HSD S+ so they'll ship it to the shop so i can take a look at it! pretty much everything else is out of stock until the end of the year at least and I don't want to lose the last bit of summer and fall if i can help it

looking at the product page (https://www.ternbicycles.com/us/bikes/471/hsd-s) i can't see any reason i wouldn't love it

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Charles posted:

Folks barreling through without warning are assholes. My Allant makes a noticeable hum when the assist is engaged, though it's not programmable AFAIK and it's not the most loudest thing in the world. For manual alerts, I've got a Knog Oi that has one heck of a resonance to it.

Unrelated, I had my first unpleasant interaction with tram tracks on Saturday. Bike lane ended suddenly and turned into rail-in-road, but since I was riding in traffic there was no great option to gracefully navigate out of the danger zone. Bike tried to twist out from under me briefly when trying to cross over, either slipping on the rail or nestling into the groove, but I fortunately stayed up. The giant moped tires probably helped.

Really wish the bike lanes around here were designed with more consideration for actual users. The city keeps coming up with bullshit that involves either magically hopping to the other side of the road or the lane just disappearing...

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Why not just buy a bell and ring it

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I’ve been on both sides of this:

Me walking dog: Bloody cyclists going too fast and expecting you to leap out the way, road rules apply you idiot cycle on the left

Me on bikes of all kind: god drat walkers, walk on chuffing right so you can see me coming, it’s the National cycle way, why are you all always so surprised to see me?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Pucklynn posted:

well, i put a deposit on a Tern HSD S+ so they'll ship it to the shop so i can take a look at it! pretty much everything else is out of stock until the end of the year at least and I don't want to lose the last bit of summer and fall if i can help it
Nice! The finishing kit is pretty decent on those. The only thing I'd keep an eye on is the fork (they can have pretty annoying service schedules).

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop

evil_bunnY posted:

Nice! The finishing kit is pretty decent on those. The only thing I'd keep an eye on is the fork (they can have pretty annoying service schedules).

that's what my Bike Knowing Friend mentioned as well, that the fork despite being custom for the bike doesn't look particularly good. how does one tell these things?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Pucklynn posted:

that's what my Bike Knowing Friend mentioned as well, that the fork despite being custom for the bike doesn't look particularly good. how does one tell these things?

Without opening up the fork and examining the parts and design, you can't know for sure, though obviously ride impressions and how long it lasts matter.

There are a couple (really, two -- RockShox and Fox) mainstream quality fork brands, and everything else is either boutique or OEM built-to-price-point builds.
Suntour is the latter, and while they have some higher quality models, it's definitely a yellow flag to see a Suntour fork specced on a factory build.
I think it's likely that only Suntour was willing to build a custom spec for a 20" wheel.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

leftist heap posted:

Why not just buy a bell and ring it

stick a baseball card in your spokes!

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
You can be one of those guys and hang a bluetooth speaker on your bike.

I rode around my hood yesterday with my kid in the back seat. I stayed on the sidewalk and just rode really slow when I passed pedestrians. It's no big deal. Just keep in mind that even if you ring the bell half of the people are still oblivious.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The major problem is pedestrians want to wear headphones on shared pathways and then get pissed off when they are “surprised” by bikes having to navigate past them.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The Worst are gammon dog walkers on the National cycle network who see you coming and do absolutely nothing about the dog. They always look at you like “hit it then” with with the same smug smirk as you slow or stop, um wut you want me to kill your dog why? You are risking an animal’s life because you get some cheap thrill over making a cyclist slow down on the National cycle network?.

I encounter one of these assholes at least once a day.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Simple; run over the owner instead of the dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Pucklynn posted:

It's essentially impossible to make a good cheap fork.

kimbo305 posted:

I think it's likely that only Suntour was willing to build a custom spec for a 20" wheel.
Suntour already has 20" castings and sells forks to a bunch of other manufacturers of cargo bikes (R&M, CaGo, some more I can't remember right now)
It's probably something like this

It's a coil unit soooo get a couple sets of seals/wipers, a spare damper and you'll prob be set?

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Aug 19, 2021