Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

WrasslorMonkey posted:

Biden isn't going to shut down the COUNTRY

He isn't going to shut down the ECONOMY

He is going to shut down the VIRUS, plane

:hmmyes:

I have an excellent chart here showing that as virus goes up, so does NUMBER.

HAIL NUMBER.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
Meet Tun Lin Naing, the 13-year-old volunteer collecting COVID-19 corpses in Myanmar

quote:

Tun Lin Naing, a seventh grade student, is the youngest volunteer at the Metta Thingaha Free Funeral Aid Association. His parents sent him to the group last December after its founder Min Din agreed to help with his education.

The association operates in Yangon — Myanmar’s largest and most populous city. In the beginning, Tun Lin Naing was assigned to help with administrative duties, but he stepped up to assist others in collecting and transporting bodies of COVID-19 victims when the need arose.

Tun Lin Naing gathers COVID-19 corpses and prepares them for cremation. He admitted being scared at first, but he has since mastered the work.

“When I carried a dead body for the first time, I was afraid, but I am no longer scared because I have carried so many of them,” the 13-year-old told Radio Free Asia (RFA).

Min Din described Tun Lin Naing as a fearless, meticulous and hardworking volunteer.

“He doesn’t fear anything and he’s very careful about wearing the PPE correctly — even better than some of the adults,” the charity leader told RFA. “Most of our volunteers need to take a break for two or three days after carrying bodies for five consecutive days. But this kid never took a break. Even when the death toll is at its highest, he has worked tirelessly.”

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Got called a hysterical doomer last year for saying that the reason kids dont seem effected by COVID much is because they were the only demo whose main socializing and spread vectors actually shut down early and stayed shut down, guess we get to find out if I was right

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Schnorkles posted:

i have no idea what's going on with the federal government right now.

the complete lack of ... i don't know, anything is startling. their hands are probably tied with DeSantis, Abbott, etc. in power and refusing to ask for any sort of help but Louisiana???

In our house, with the grandchildren, we don't even say open sesame anymore. We say, open biden. Open Biden!

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost
https://www.reddit.com/r/nursing/comments/p3tz7m/i_am_no_longer_proud_to_be_a_nurse/

my plan for the past couple years has been to try to get into an RN program so I've been finishing up the prerequisites. have to do a CPR course this fall (lol) to be able to apply... for training for a job that is currently driving people to leave it in droves (lmao)

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Crusader posted:

i can’t even begin to contemplate how you go about rebuilding after a complete healthcare system collapse

It's simple, you focus treating the patients with money/insurance first and dump the rest next to the dumpsters behind the hospital.

Also start charging hourly rent for hospital beds, that helps the bottom line when elective procedures are suspended

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

Got called a hysterical doomer last year for saying that the reason kids dont seem effected by COVID much is because they were the only demo whose main socializing and spread vectors actually shut down early and stayed shut down, guess we get to find out if I was right

you've already been proven right, a million times

tell em about all of the full children's hospital ICUs

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Schnorkles posted:

i mean i'm not 100% sure of the tools in the tool box at this exact moment, but the fact that they haven't called a national state of emergency is beyond belief.

He's gonna continue to ignore it and hope it passes, same as what's happening at the state level in most places.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Thoguh posted:

He's gonna continue to ignore it and hope it passes, same as what's happening at the state level in most places.

I don't think any of these people are prepared for how horrifying the school situation is going to be. everyone seems to have the wild type blinders on and don't recognize the disease is bad in kids now

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
If the healthcare system breaks down and is permanently damaged, people will stop expecting the government to solve healthcare problems.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
however with digikey and grainger pull down the items for regular consumers it makes me wonder, nah it’s probably nothing.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Schnorkles posted:

I don't think any of these people are prepared for how horrifying the school situation is going to be. everyone seems to have the wild type blinders on and don't recognize the disease is bad in kids now

I can't imagine the train wreck for people who are in health care or education this year.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

etalian posted:

I can't imagine the train wreck for people who are in health care or education this year.

i can't remember where i read this, but its kind of an understood thing that institutions struggle to cope with how fast a pandemic moves.

they all build their spreadsheets and charts and general approaches and by the time its all enacted the virus has mutated and is a fundamentally different thing. Do we change course? Of course not, that would involve more planning and we can't have that.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Schnorkles posted:

Giving it to every single kid in the country with vaccines right around the corner is absolutely pointless cruelty.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

it's like everyone is basically treating the virus like the wild type right now: not dangerous in kids, significantly less virulent, etc.

it's the most bizarre drat thing

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Schnorkles posted:

i mean i'm not 100% sure of the tools in the tool box at this exact moment, but the fact that they haven't called a national state of emergency is beyond belief.

:borked:

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
poll plane is getting nervous

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Schnorkles posted:

i can't remember where i read this, but its kind of an understood thing that institutions struggle to cope with how fast a pandemic moves.

they all build their spreadsheets and charts and general approaches and by the time its all enacted the virus has mutated and is a fundamentally different thing. Do we change course? Of course not, that would involve more planning and we can't have that.

sunk lung cost fallacy

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Schnorkles posted:

state of emergency? over what?? :confused:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Schnorkles posted:

i have no idea what's going on with the federal government right now.

the complete lack of ... i don't know, anything is startling. their hands are probably tied with DeSantis, Abbott, etc. in power and refusing to ask for any sort of help but Louisiana???

it's katrina 2.0 except there will be way, way, way, way, way more deaths. days and days of 1-2k deaths a day are basically locked in now even if biden started acting today to force lockdowns and such. poo poo is going to be really bad

Shitpostradomus
Sep 19, 2020

by sebmojo
delta: we love to die and it shows

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mod sassinator posted:

it's katrina 2.0 except there will be way, way, way, way, way more deaths. days and days of 1-2k deaths a day are basically locked in now even if biden started acting today to force lockdowns and such. poo poo is going to be really bad

*as 4000 people die per day, 500 of them toddlers* it's fine, they're unvaccinated, they deserve it, let's get brunch. open biden

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Schnorkles posted:

my professional career is involved w/ validating pharma pipelines.

pharma pipelines are a complete mess right now. SII having a validated pipeline up by October is fully possible if they can keep their people healthy, but I wouldn't bet on it. I also wouldn't bet on it being more than a million doses or so by end 2020.

:borked:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
biden absolutely will have a higher body count than trump in the same period of time lol

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

mod sassinator posted:

biden absolutely will have a higher body count than trump in the same period of time lol

it's called harm reduction

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Schnorkles posted:

lmao the mormon church is in open rebellion here i'm dying

Give me the sweet details please.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

slippery doc posted:

so much for all the "the mormon church is the one american institution capable of solving collective action problems" takes from Matt Christman and the like

maybe. it depends on whether or not they're able to purge or tame dissidents and the institutions the church established survive covid. even if those "dissidents" are people who want vaccines and to wear masks.

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 18:43 on Aug 14, 2021

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

This is at least the second time the “Inslee is just as bad as Generic Republican” claim has come through with absolutely nothing to back it up.

What did Inslee do to measure up to “equal amount of failure comparable to a Republican governor”? Which Republican governor are you even talking about? And how do you square that with Washington sitting in the bottom ten for per capita death rates, even though it was hit by the nation’s first outbreak?

Inslee is far from perfect and there are a whole bunch of things I wish he’d do differently, but he’s well over the very low bar of “not as bad as the Republican anti mask death cult.”

how loving DARE YOU say that a democrat governor could be as bad as literally any republican governor. HOW DARE YOU!!!! provide 5 peer-reviewed sources that prove scientifically that inslee is as bad as a republican. I don't get it, how could you think this??? don't you see the (D) by his name??? sweetie???? honey??? sugarbear???? kiddo??? chief???

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

RC Cola posted:

Their head honcho (who is divinely ordained and infallible) called for vaxxing and masked, and it turns out a huge number of their members are thoroughly brain wormed and they're rejecting him as a voice for their god

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

The Dubious Origins of Long COVID

This goes into it in detail, but most practical doctors are treating long COVID of the fainting-spells-and-depression variety as psychosomatic in nature. Freaking out about long-term effects directly contributes to this social contagion that women and mentally ill people are disproportionately vulnerable to.

Get vaccinated. Wear a mask. Get some sun. Exercise daily. Calm down, Biden’s got this.

long covid isn't real, and all those people suffering from it are making it up in their head for attention. calm down! go to brunch! go spit in each others' mouths! Biden's got this!!! OPEN BIDEN!!!!!

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Shitpostradomus posted:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
like american catholics mostly operate in complete defiance of the papacy depending on who is sitting on the throne of st peter half the time and yet the catholic church still exists. institutional momentum is a hell of a thing

osprey
Apr 18, 2021

https://twitter.com/SolNataMD/status/1426547562534817793

Teenage Riot
May 25, 2010

slippery doc posted:

so much for all the "the mormon church is the one american institution capable of solving collective action problems" takes from Matt Christman and the like

I'm not generally a fan of citing Chapo wisdom but the past few weeks I've been spending a bunch of time contemplating the time early in Trump term 1 when Matt said something like "in retrospect, when we look back at the past several years, there were tons of signs pointing directly to Trump, but the scariest part is, there are no signs for what comes next"

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

empty whippet box posted:

long covid isn't real, and all those people suffering from it are making it up in their head for attention. calm down! go to brunch! go spit in each others' mouths! Biden's got this!!! OPEN BIDEN!!!!!

Getting maimed by a disease is supporting tromp now lol

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Teenage Riot posted:

I'm not generally a fan of citing Chapo wisdom but the past few weeks I've been spending a bunch of time contemplating the time early in Trump term 1 when Matt said something like "in retrospect, when we look back at the past several years, there were tons of signs pointing directly to Trump, but the scariest part is, there are no signs for what comes next"

A fascist strongman with a hankering for white nationalism. Just don't know exactly who it'll be yet and exactly which election cycle they'll take power.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Shitpostradomus posted:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Thoguh posted:

A fascist strongman with a hankering for white nationalism. Just don't know exactly who it'll be yet and exactly which election cycle they'll take power.

Desantis 2024 would still be my bet, since fascists don't generally suffer any popularity consequences for enacting policies that get masses of their own people killed as long as they retain state and media power long enough to tell everyone the other did it

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

RC Cola posted:

Rah! posted:

the angel moroni told me to say NO! to nano chip

Rah! posted:

go to my website to buy ur jab proof holy shirt and pants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
lmao at dipshits who cant do math looking a that bullshit report of only 200 covid cases at lolla and going "oh well thats fine"

200 base cases with an r0=8

What's the math on that in 2-3 generations with little to no mitigations because the US is full of loving morons who think "quarantining" involves still going to the bar (but only on thursdays)