Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Had iOS 15 since alpha and it’s been extremely rad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

IAmKale posted:

What series of settings toggles do I need to flip to get the App Store icon to show a badge of the number of pending app updates? I know it used to do this, but maybe it's not possible anymore. I like reading the changelogs and hitting update myself. Right now I get no icon badge and apps auto-update and I think that's been typical/default behavior for everyone?

Pretty sure if auto-update is turned on it won't show a badge.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

IAmKale posted:

What series of settings toggles do I need to flip to get the App Store icon to show a badge of the number of pending app updates? I know it used to do this, but maybe it's not possible anymore. I like reading the changelogs and hitting update myself. Right now I get no icon badge and apps auto-update and I think that's been typical/default behavior for everyone?
I believe “Settings > App Store > App Updates” toggle controls auto updates, and then the usual App Store entry under “Settings > Notifications” to make sure notifications/badgers are on.

It was working for me, at least just until just a few weeks ago when I turned auto app updates on finally because I stopped wanting to be arsed, although I used to be totally in your boat of always wanting to see the updates.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Okay, fine, I will get the iOS 15

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Auto update never ever works. Hasn’t worked for a while. I have no idea what you’d need to do to even get it to work.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Skeezy posted:

Auto update never ever works. Hasn’t worked for a while. I have no idea what you’d need to do to even get it to work.

It's another Apple automatic feature that got turned on and never actually worked then completely ignored. Just like wi-fi backups to iTunes and OS updates.

They can't even get their OS to cache music properly. I just finished a two week vacation with poor cell service so I figured I'd rely on stuff that the phone had downloaded and it would be a good mix of stuff I had recently streamed from apple music. Nah, there were like four albums in there I haven't listened to in two years.

I guess they finally fixed iCloud syncing, early on it with the service it could take hours for stuff to spread to other devices. But their track record with automation is pretty bad in general.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It works fine for me? Both apps and OS.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Same. Never had an issue. (iTunes Wifi sync never worked for me though)

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Honestly I’m just so used to checking the App Store for updates all the time that it doesn’t matter at this point.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Skeezy posted:

Honestly I’m just so used to checking the App Store for updates all the time that it doesn’t matter at this point.

Yeah, out of habit I do this every night. I have noticed on my ATV that it takes a day or 2 before it updates an app.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
My apps update automatically every night.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

My friend (whose life is not otherwise the most stable) was on vacation in Dallas a few days ago, and unfortunately had her relatively new iPhone 12 Pro stolen from her hands while walking on the sidewalk at night. Police report was filed etc., she will never see the phone again.

She had Theft and Loss AppleCare+, so she thought. She does have coverage, however the coverage requires that Find My iPhone was turned on at the time of the theft, and it seems it was not.

Looks like she is totally SOL here in this situation, which really sucks. Make sure you have Find My iPhone turned on. I'm not sure if iPhone prompts you if you have it left off, but if not it seems it should.

Unrelated but I don't understand why these jerks still steal smartphones in 2021. I don't think they can be used, right....? I thought it's been that way for several years.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 13, 2021

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Inner Light posted:

Unrelated but I don't understand why these jerks still steal smartphones in 2021. I don't think they can be used, right....? I thought it's been that way for several years.
If you're thinking of activation lock...it's part of Find My iPhone.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

japtor posted:

If you're thinking of activation lock...it's part of Find My iPhone.

Ah, I thought there was a chance of that. So without Find My iPhone it can be fully wiped and just paired to another Apple ID? What about... since the IMEI is known stolen, can't it be locked that way somehow?

I know she's fully screwed i'm more asking out of curiosity so I understand how it works.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If Find My Phone is on, then the owner can remotely turn on activation lock, and the phone can't be used, though it can still be used for some parts.

Without that, it can be erased and used, I believe.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

What are the privacy considerations of having Find My turned on vs. off?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Quackles posted:

The only issues I can see are if a) someone has access to your account, but then you have bigger issues or b) you have other devices sitting around either unlocked or with someone who knows your passcode to that device, in which case they can track your device. Otherwise, nothing I can think of.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Quackles posted:

The feds have easier ways to get your cell phone location.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Quackles posted:

as with many of these questions it comes down to ‘are you doing shady or criminal poo poo y/n’

if not leave it on for insurance

people also forget that if the cops want to find you or where you’ve been they don’t need to go to the phone manufacturer, your network carrier knows everywhere you’ve been and everyone with whom you’ve communicated

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The EU is apparently gonna push legislation to mandate a common charging port on the phone, i.e. USB-C. I wonder if Apple's gonna do that, or if they're gonna try to skirt this like with Lightning and go portless instead. Which would be hilarious in itself, because I've read comments in that regard, saying that in hot climate regions, wireless charging is typically a shitshow.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Wireless charging works perfectly well in Australia; which is pretty drat hot. I haven’t plugged my phone in for years, except when I was travelling and didn’t want to take my relatively bulky charging stand with me.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Combat Pretzel posted:

The EU is apparently gonna push legislation to mandate a common charging port on the phone, i.e. USB-C. I wonder if Apple's gonna do that, or if they're gonna try to skirt this like with Lightning and go portless instead. Which would be hilarious in itself, because I've read comments in that regard, saying that in hot climate regions, wireless charging is typically a shitshow.

I think the writing is on the wall for this to happen anyway; things like the iPad Pro, Beats, obviously the laptops for a while now, and aren't the AirPods Max USB-C?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Clearly, Apple should just open source MagSafe.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MagSafe and wireless charging is super fun and convenient and I admit I love it, but I think it's a lovely thing to do environmentally. Forcibly converting close to a billion devices to use 40% more energy would be super irresponsible.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

xzzy posted:

MagSafe and wireless charging is super fun and convenient and I admit I love it, but I think it's a lovely thing to do environmentally. Forcibly converting close to a billion devices to use 40% more energy would be super irresponsible.

...wait, what about MagSafe?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Quackles posted:

Well technically MagSafe is fine, it's just magnets so it does nothing to the power draw (well maybe it slightly improves the numbers because of how it forces perfect alignment). But wireless charging itself requires about 40% more power to provide the same amount of charge that a wired connection needs.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Quackles posted:

Wireless transmission of power results in transmission losses.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Quackles posted:

It’s not a MagSafe problem, it’s an inductive charging problem. Here’s an article written about it, albeit written by an unknown(?) blogger but nonetheless the general takeaway is that inductive charging takes more power because of physics, and in his best case scenario with a well aligned phone-charger placement he measured that number was 39% higher.

https://debugger.medium.com/wireless-charging-is-a-disaster-waiting-to-happen-48afdde70ed9

They also have the side effect of having a non-negligible continuous power draw just by being plugged in compared to just a cord, because there needs to be power flowing through the puck to detect the presence of a phone.

If the EU actually mandates USB-C, and they should, then I hope they also put in a provision to nip the “lol we’ll just remove the port entirely” idea in the bud.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Aug 14, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

If the EU actually mandates USB-C, and they should,

I’m having a hard time figuring out why they should mandate it in the first place. It’s not like it was 15 years ago when phone manufacturers were doing all kinds of weird poo poo.

Are they going to do it for laptops as well?

It seems like a weird thing to clamp down on.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Yeah, it’s a pretty strange regulation. Maybe the EU is really the utopia that left wing Americans fantasize about and this is the most important societal problem they are facing, IDK

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

silence_kit posted:

Yeah, it’s a pretty strange regulation. Maybe the EU is really the utopia that left wing Americans fantasize about and this is the most important societal problem they are facing, IDK

It's to reduce the amount of waste generated by useless chargers.

Turns out it's worth doing something about smaller problems even if you've got bigger problems to worry about. We have more than one person making decisions.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Considering the EU recycles close to 50% of their e-waste while the US is down at 20%, this isn't really a case where we get to make fun of the europeans. They're absolutely doing a better job than Americans and are trying to get better while we're sending billionares into space.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
The UK’s going to mandate every phone sold has a BNC socket on it, because Brexit.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Boris Galerkin posted:

If the EU actually mandates USB-C, and they should, then I hope they also put in a provision to nip the “lol we’ll just remove the port entirely” idea in the bud.

I'm sure this is what Apple wants to do after removing Earpods and the wall wart from the box because 5G components are more expensive, gently caress you if you don't have USB-C power bricks since those are the cords we're sending to save the environment.

3-4 years of shipping the magsafe pucks with new phones for charging, then they can nix that to since "Everyone has them now" They can polish wifi syncing/backing up a bit for the occasion but if more people default to iCloud backups all the better right?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Kerbtree posted:

The UK’s going to mandate every phone sold has a BNC socket on it, because Brexit.

Time to bring back the scart cable, for phones!

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

xzzy posted:

Considering the EU recycles close to 50% of their e-waste while the US is down at 20%, this isn't really a case where we get to make fun of the europeans. They're absolutely doing a better job than Americans and are trying to get better while we're sending billionares into space.

Is this actual recycling or throw-it-into-a-shipping-container-and-send-it-to-western-Africa recyling?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MyronMulch posted:

Is this actual recycling or throw-it-into-a-shipping-container-and-send-it-to-western-Africa recyling?

Not sure and I'm not really smart enough to dig in and find a single number because it's pretty complicated.

But I've seen percentages from 20% to 50% thrown around in the news for the EU e-waste that's been "actually recycled."

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

the true killer feature of iphone is the physical silence switch, drat this owns

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
This is a pretty niche sweet spot; but if you are in AU, are planning on getting an iPhone 13 or some other full-RRP Apple product (are there any except launch phones?), and shop grocery at Woolworths, then from Wednesday you can buy Apple gift cards at an effective 13% discount. (15% of face value back as WW rewards.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

~Coxy posted:

This is a pretty niche sweet spot; but if you are in AU, are planning on getting an iPhone 13 or some other full-RRP Apple product (are there any except launch phones?), and shop grocery at Woolworths, then from Wednesday you can buy Apple gift cards at an effective 13% discount. (15% of face value back as WW rewards.)

loving hell am I glad I’m on vacation this month.