Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Chevrolet has like 2 cars that can consistently contend for top positions right now - Newgarden and O'Ward. They are hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Frond posted:

Chevrolet has like 2 cars that can consistently contend for top positions right now - Newgarden and O'Ward. They are hosed.

If we're going by that level of consistency for 2021 at least, the other three drivers in the top five in points are all Ganassi, and Newgarden is fourth in points despite being the only one in the top five with any finishes outside the top 20.

I don't think Chevy is at the top of their game right now, but I don't think that's the only issue making it hard for a bowtie to win the title this year. The Ganassi cars are the closest thing to consistent that anyone has been.

Also if the Wikipedia article is right, the battle for 22nd in entrant points could be interesting if RLL keeps fielding the 45 car. If they do and they keep up similar results, that puts the 48 and 7 fighting for 22nd in points, and that gap is down to 10 points. If the 45 is done for the year, then that should put the 7 in 22nd and let's be fair there's basically no way the 59 or 4 stand a loving chance.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

That was a Formula E style circuit with Indycar speeds :smug:

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
cool that we have a race for the next 2 weeks

the ims race will be perfectly smooth and make people wish for the chaos, also grosjean will probably win

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
maybe just race the fuckin fairgrounds next time

edit: imagine i posted this in the nascar thread whenever their terrible nashville race is too

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Peanut President posted:

maybe just race the fuckin fairgrounds next time
you buyin' tickets?

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Lundgaard is in for RLL at Indy. : /

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

fuuuuuck
https://twitter.com/bobvarsha/status/1424853693824897027

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
:(

He was a big part of many of our childhoods. Rest in Peace, Bob :(

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

If we're going by that level of consistency for 2021 at least, the other three drivers in the top five in points are all Ganassi, and Newgarden is fourth in points despite being the only one in the top five with any finishes outside the top 20.

I don't think Chevy is at the top of their game right now, but I don't think that's the only issue making it hard for a bowtie to win the title this year. The Ganassi cars are the closest thing to consistent that anyone has been.

Also if the Wikipedia article is right, the battle for 22nd in entrant points could be interesting if RLL keeps fielding the 45 car. If they do and they keep up similar results, that puts the 48 and 7 fighting for 22nd in points, and that gap is down to 10 points. If the 45 is done for the year, then that should put the 7 in 22nd and let's be fair there's basically no way the 59 or 4 stand a loving chance.

It’s more Ganassi being very good than anything else. Didn’t Rinus Veekay win a race earlier this year? Usually his car and Ed’s on ovals are competitive. Penske is having a weird year but Newgarden is right there in points. Pato is in the title fight as well.

I thought there was some rumbling about whether the IndyCar admin wanted to let the 45 be competitive for the Leader’s Circle or not, which might also impact the final stretch of the year too.

Geez, RIP Bob Jenkins. What a voice and career.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
Ed's cars get an extra 50 hp at Indianapolis

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
IMS has a nice video of Bob.

https://twitter.com/IMS/status/1424864387710570496

RIP Bob, have fun with BP and the Indy legends up in the sky :unsmith:

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
I very rarely say things like "my childhood" but...ugh, my childhood :smith:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
That video hit me hard. Between my father and father in law’s aggressive cancer struggles and what happened to Bob and his wife, that sucks all around. Glad I watched it after everyone was in bed last night, I was a crying mess.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/1425196368226885633?s=20

indy's back baby!

Magugu
Mar 30, 2013

I came to drink, fight, and f@ck. And im fresh outta beer, so what will it be?

And what a glorious cluster gently caress they witnessed. The race really had it all, painful to watch in real time but will go down as one of the most interesting ever.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Magugu posted:

And what a glorious cluster gently caress they witnessed. The race really had it all, painful to watch in real time but will go down as one of the most interesting ever.

Hopefully the IMS race will be the exact opposite, lol

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

The bridge still scares the poo poo out of me. 150mph, unprotected metal struts, the fairly serious danger of landing in oncoming traffic...

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

One of my regrets as a race fan is not watching more IndyCar in 2009-12 when Bob was back in the booth. Red car dominance plus Danicamania did that.

Magugu
Mar 30, 2013

Dudley posted:

The bridge still scares the poo poo out of me. 150mph, unprotected metal struts, the fairly serious danger of landing in oncoming traffic...

Safety changes only come after someone gets hurt (or worse). Then you will hear about unprecedented, unforeseen issues that caused it, then they will make the changes while patting themselves on the back about being innovators in safety. A tale as old as racing.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Does anyone know if the radio frequencies are the same for the race this weekend as they were for the 500? I don't know if the teams switch it up or if they stay the same.

Magugu
Mar 30, 2013

Reynold posted:

Does anyone know if the radio frequencies are the same for the race this weekend as they were for the 500? I don't know if the teams switch it up or if they stay the same.

Never been to Indy, but most tracks have an information booth with a sheet of freq's. Giggity.

Usually the same place that has programs. Can't imagine they change frequencies that much these days, as everyone monitors everyone anyway.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I’m not gonna bother to reprogram from the 500. I only listen to radio chatter during restarts and pit sequences, the rest of the time is IMS radio with a smattering of the TV audio frequencies.

Magugu
Mar 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/By_NathanBrown/status/1426215643733430274

Edit:

https://twitter.com/By_NathanBrown/status/1426234624360042501

Magugu fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Aug 14, 2021

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Reynold posted:

They usually keep the same frequencies through the year, and often the same for a given car year to year.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
all packed up, just need to load the cooler before I leave. Anyone else gonna be there today?

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

IOwnCalculus posted:

They usually keep the same frequencies through the year, and often the same for a given car year to year.

Dope. I had to add the Xfinity series and set up for cup tomorrow as well. I do all my programming digitally in advance, and was hoping for it to be simple.

I'll be hitting up local breakfast spot Love Handle for some amazing goddamn food, and then head to the track shortly after. It's gonna be a good weekend. Hell, I took next week off work and head to St. Louis Wednesday, it's gonna be a good couple of weekends.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Magugu posted:

Safety changes only come after someone gets hurt (or worse). Then you will hear about unprecedented, unforeseen issues that caused it, then they will make the changes while patting themselves on the back about being innovators in safety. A tale as old as racing.

Yep, it'll be "No-one could have seen this coming".

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

When was the last time someone went over a catch fence on a street course?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Theris posted:

Jeff Krosnoff’s fatal incident in Vancouver also took out a corner worker because the catch fencing was behind the marshall station.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Theris posted:

I think Sofia Flörsch, at Macau, although she might have just gone right through it.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

Theris posted:

This

The chances of a car going over the fence on the bridge and plunging into the water below is not very probable

Magugu
Mar 30, 2013

Race day.

Looks like some different tire strategies to start with up front with 1. Pato on reds 2. Power on blacks 3. Grosjean on blacks 4. Lundgaard (good qualy for a rookie) on reds 5. Herta on blacks.

How will "anything less than a championship is a failure" Alexander Rossi fare?

Magugu
Mar 30, 2013

I really do enjoy seeing a bedazzled Jimmy Johnson eating hard boiled eggs.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

harperdc posted:

Jeff Krosnoff’s fatal incident in Vancouver also took out a corner worker because the catch fencing was behind the marshall station.

It was Toronto, and I was there. Also it was really awkward because my dad’s company sponsored Johansson’s car.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Solid race. This track used to be reliably awful, but not so much anymore.

Magugu
Mar 30, 2013

Frond posted:

Solid race. This track used to be reliably awful, but not so much anymore.

Yea, was good toward the end with Hinch backing up Power, even through a pit stop. Grosjean nabbing second from Herta with no push to pass was cool. Scotty Mac couldn't duplicate Ericsson's flight to win, which was disappointing.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I think those yellows ended up helping Will more than he realized. With a clean track, Herta didn't have the tires and Grosjean didn't have the P2P to be anywhere near Power. If the race had stayed green and Hinch kept backing Power up, Herta would've had a real shot at passing Power and making him work for a pass in dirty air.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I don’t understand why Power didn’t 1) use his Push to Pass to get by Hinch (it had barely changed since they last compared Herta and him when there was 9 seconds difference) or 2) do the opposite of Hinch at the pit stop phase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Nybble posted:

I don’t understand why Power didn’t 1) use his Push to Pass to get by Hinch (it had barely changed since they last compared Herta and him when there was 9 seconds difference) or 2) do the opposite of Hinch at the pit stop phase.

i was so ready for power to lose the race to herta and get pissed about hinch, when it's like, dude just pass the car in 25th