Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Motto posted:

I don't think robots looking cool in spite of being in awful or futile conflicts is any more a flaw than people thinking a villain is cool and interesting despite clearly being bad or wrong tbh

That one gundam meme has ruined mecha discourse forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Lining up Hayao Miyazaki anime was a mistake, anime is blood, hey cool robot, get in the robot shinji, imma be real wit you prime minister shinzo abe, there's another meme that sucks but I forgot it among the sea of terrible anime memes people won't stop repeating even 10 years later, and killing them with a single golgo 13 esque sniper bullet that travels through multiple skyscrapers and through all their heads, destroying them forever

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ah the classic golgo 13 execution meme

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

homeless snail posted:

ah the classic golgo 13 execution meme
I prefer him banking a shot off of the surface of the ocean.

:golgo:

We need better Duke emojis

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i was very excited to get five guys on my trip to the iowa city clinic and realized there was one in Coralville so I didn't even have to drive to cedar rapids

then a few days later i looked and we've had one here since June :mad:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also, Gundam was always a toy commercial anyway.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the secret is most everything is a commercial

😔

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Hey let me tell you all a secret....

It's perfectly okay to like toy commercial anime and they can often be classics

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

verbal enema posted:

I remember seeing some Dorohedoro merch at the end of the volumes and was absolutely gutted i couldn't get it anymore
oh gently caress I should not have looked at BBTS's Dorohedoro results, they're both releasing some really high-quality 1/12-scale action figures and ALSO reissuing the 14" 1/6-scale Caiman in anime version alongside 1/6 Ebisu and Shin, fuuuuuuck

only roughly $1000 for all of them besides the figuarts statue :v:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Captain Invictus posted:

oh gently caress I should not have looked at BBTS's Dorohedoro results, they're both releasing some really high-quality 1/12-scale action figures and ALSO reissuing the 14" 1/6-scale Caiman in anime version alongside 1/6 Ebisu and Shin, fuuuuuuck

only roughly $1000 for all of them besides the figuarts statue :v:

Spend that hat money!!!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
man I WISH I still had as good a hat racket as I did in like 2015. I've basically entirely fallen out of it especially after going full time at my current job. the highs were the highest from hats, but I could not risk the instability of income from it and went with the more regular option instead.

I'm getting a significant raise in a few weeks so I can really start to waste money on stupid garbage like never before when that happens, oh boy

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

Lining up Hayao Miyazaki anime was a mistake, anime is blood, hey cool robot, get in the robot shinji, imma be real wit you prime minister shinzo abe, there's another meme that sucks but I forgot it among the sea of terrible anime memes people won't stop repeating even 10 years later, and killing them with a single golgo 13 esque sniper bullet that travels through multiple skyscrapers and through all their heads, destroying them forever

this but it's the people who made those and the people who keep posting them

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

get in the robot shinji is kind of funny when youre just using it to joke about gendo's character and not as a serious critique of eva's plot.

but yes 'anime was a mistake' was the worst post ever made in the history of the internet

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/EduardHabsburg/status/1426550867298299905

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Very good

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

I dunno if there's a figure/statue thread, but Figurama just put up preorders for their Dorohedoro diorama, and it's really, really nice(filthy) looking

feel like I'm stepping into the abyss, buying my first anime statue. but I love dorohedoro, and there's like, no merch for it at all, least compared to other series.

edit: drat while I was typing up this post they've already sold half of them.

There’s my dusty figure and merch thread yes

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3816878

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

verbal enema posted:

living within walking distance of every bar and restaurant in town will be the death of me

Congrats on your smaller town, or faster walking speed

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The thing where antiwar media ultimately glorifies war by making it look cool is a neat perspective to keep in mind but people who use that line of reasoning to jump straight to "therefore this art isn't actually antiwar/is actually bad" are just completely insufferable

Most memes, especially anime memes, I have similar feelings on

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

spent years making your super cool mecha fighter but when you show up at the warzone everyone is talking about how war sucks and is awful so you panic and slap a WAR BAD bumper sticker on it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

war is bad irl but also tanks are cool

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
frankly the best parts of gundam aren't even the parts where they say war is bad. it's actually the weirdo rich girls who say war is good, because they have a self-destructive desire to engage in war, because of how strong their hatred of war is

honestly i do think in his byston well stuff (not garzey) tomino does an ok job with anti war stuff because like. as cool as the mechs are dunbine's last stretch is almost purposefully mind meltingly tedious and really pulls you into the flow of a ton of people just getting absolutely worn the gently caress down from repeated pointless battles ending in nothing but stalemates that they just kind of lose any trace of sanity and by the end see literally no other option but to destroy themselves in order to purify the world of the rot they've infected it with. and rean is so insanely overt with the idea of war being so horrible that it corrupts anyone involved with it and causes people to do completely awful unjustifiable things, that it's kind of comical. plus with cg like that, it sure is impossible to find the mechs in rean all that cool

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 15, 2021

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I love these jerks. :kimchi:

Related to rancid-rear end memes, I haven't seen the "anime was a mistake" meme outside of, like, dumb-assed twitter takes, and like who gives a flying gently caress about that sorta nonsense. Also after watching Eva 3.0+1.0 back in March, I'm glad it exists but if I never see anything Eva-related ever again, that's fine. It was a nice send-off. Send the trumpets, mariachi and some tasty beverages.

「さらば!」:wave:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Nah, the "anime was a mistake" meme gets regurgitated all over the internet in various anime/manga fan communities and various social media platforms including YouTube, usually in a self-deprecating sort of way. You probably just don't see them because you don't waste you time in those spaces Wark :sweatdrop:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i wouldnt mind seeing eva stuff again after i watch 4.0+1.0 but that's mostly just cause i think the eva video games kinda rule and deserve tls

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Colonel posted:

i wouldnt mind seeing eva stuff again after i watch 4.0+1.0 but that's mostly just cause i think the eva video games kinda rule and deserve tls
I think the N64 game was mostly fine? The only two I remember playing outside of the main cast occasionally popping on SRW stuff is, probably, the Girlfriend of Steel VN's that came out like 15 years ago.

I wouldn't know if there are any translation efforts for them, though. :sigh:

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Endorph posted:

war is bad irl but also tanks are cool

Good thing GuP exists to solve this paradox!

I get being wary of flashy fights but Gundam and the good mecha shows are fairly good about making sure at the end it's message that war/army isn't good especially compared to like Marvel movies which are very much pro-army

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Wark Say posted:

I think the N64 game was mostly fine? The only two I remember playing outside of the main cast occasionally popping on SRW stuff is, probably, the Girlfriend of Steel VN's that came out like 15 years ago.

I wouldn't know if there are any translation efforts for them, though. :sigh:

http://www.romhacking.net/?page=tra...&transsearch=Go

N64 is cool even if it's kind of a weird minigame gallery where all the minigames are episode scenes. Girlfriend of Steel was real neat, the Adam raising thing for Wonderswan is very curious, Ayanami Raising is..probably just like Shinji Raising. Eva Typing I'm just glad exists at all.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
evangelion 2: evangelions/another cases, and evangelion: 3nd impact, are legitimately very cool games

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The point I was making wasn't so much that NGE is bad actually, more that some people's frustration is that this teenager being sad is getting in the way of the cool fights they are watching the show for, and thus the sentiment that he should get over it already

Fangz fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Aug 15, 2021

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I liked Rebuild 4. Good film other than some bad looking CGI.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Fangz posted:

The point I was making wasn't so much that NGE is bad actually, more that some people's frustration is that this teenager being sad is getting in the way of the cool fights they are watching the show for, and thus the sentiment that he should get over it already

the second ep firmly establishes that him getting sad enables the "coolest" moments tho :v:

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Rei says Wear A Mask

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Dunno bout ya'll, but I'm just not feeling The Great Jahy

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I liked Rebuild 4. Good film other than some bad looking CGI.

Worse than the other rebuilds? Haven't watched it yet

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Fangz posted:

Misato probably has the best OST.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y0ckB_2EaA

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Mister Facetious posted:

Dunno bout ya'll, but I'm just not feeling The Great Jahy

I think two episodes on Druj was more than was needed, but I'm enjoying it enough, and I liked the weird little short at the end of this episode.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i already have maidragon and slow pharmacy, plus binchoutan has creatures as well

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
jahy is made for anyone who can function on a "wakame konbu" wavelength

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yes, i like seaweed