Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/1426607645327347720

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
"Please Mister Warlord Sir, don't decapitate and/or ransom our diplomats or we might have to engage in fisticuffs!" :ohdear:

I can already hear the midterm and 2024 "we could've withdrawn with ~~~HONOURE~~~ but instead we slunk out like cowards" ads.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Did anyone ever just ask the Taliban to do something nicely? Like maybe we could have gone over there and just asked them to send out bin laden in 2001 and then just going home.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Yeah I’d rather fight the US than each other if they successfully take over. Much easier to run a narco insurgency than a nation.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
The situation would have required literal nation-building and there was no will for something like that. That would have required nuance, understanding, and diplomacy.

Instead the ghouls in charge of the money wanted money. They rode off the anger from 9/11 to ignore that and throw the military in to a region of completely unaffiliated (at best, if not outright hostile to each other) local warlords and tribal leaders that had lines drawn around them on a map that they didn't give a gently caress about as a "nation", and told the military "Fix this, I guess, whatever. I'm going to go sign this MIC contract. Laters."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

That Works posted:

Did anyone ever just ask the Taliban to do something nicely? Like maybe we could have gone over there and just asked them to send out bin laden in 2001 and then just going home.

But then we'd have denied so many corporations the chance to profit off of soldiers' blood and time for two decades! All those defense contractors were *STARVING* after eight years of Billy Boy! He only let them bomb a *little*, and only really when he needed his approval rating to stay around 50%!

Also, I'd imagine even though he'd been in Abbotabad for five years prior to getting iced by Book Club 6, he'd probably been in Pakistan proper for far longer, just not in an urban setting.

Oh, and..."we don't negotiate with terrorists." :clint:

...except when we're trying to get them to take a breather so our diplomats (but not their in-country support staffs) can leave the country without quite literally losing their heads. >.>

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 14, 2021

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

That Works posted:

There were some moves to that early on but were dismissed by the US as stalling, etc.

f/e: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2001/oct/14/afghanistan.terrorism5

https://www.cnn.com/2001/US/10/07/ret.us.taliban/

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Seeing tweets saying that Dostum has fled to Uzbekistan so that's not a great sign for the "federal" government

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Shades of kurds throwing rocks after we fed them to the turks

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Erghh posted:

There were some moves to that early on but were dismissed by the US as stalling, etc.

f/e: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2001/oct/14/afghanistan.terrorism5

https://www.cnn.com/2001/US/10/07/ret.us.taliban/

lmao I was joking entirely but jfc I imagine how things might have gone if the Taliban had just handed over Bin Laden less than 2 months after 9/11

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I don't think it would have mattered. The public wanted blood

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

https://mobile.twitter.com/sexyfacts4u/status/1426369009646292995

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Milo and POTUS posted:

I don't think it would have mattered. The public wanted blood

The best thing to do was probably some variation of nothing and good luck with that. Everyone was thanking their lucky stars we had Bush and not Gore cause "We need a strong wartime leader that has a backbone and will stand up to them" or some poo poo.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

This deserves more than a tweet. This needs to be framed somewhere.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

lightpole posted:

The best thing to do was probably some variation of nothing and good luck with that. Everyone was thanking their lucky stars we had Bush and not Gore cause "We need a strong wartime leader that has a backbone and will stand up to them" or some poo poo.

Stimulus checks. Bush promised stimulus checks. It was even parodied on Futurama. Bender buys burglary tools.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Nick Soapdish posted:

Seeing tweets saying that Dostum has fled to Uzbekistan so that's not a great sign for the "federal" government

tbh Dostum is probably the guy Afghanistan needs now. Sure he'll be a dictator but at least he can lead strongly until he gets coup'd and the next guy comes along.

I'm sad about the Hazara to the north who were really screwed under the Taliban in the 90s

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

why didn't we just arrange an orderly transition to the taliban in the first place

it's not like we had any face left to save by the time we pulled out

although i guess that wouldn't look much different from what's happening now

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 14, 2021

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

bird food bathtub posted:

The situation would have required literal nation-building

There's a certain amount of demands you could comfortably make of post war Germany and Japan without the rest of the world and your own citizenry calling you a colonizer. And while the US certainly didn't escape that moniker, I suspect that we had a lot more heart for carrots than sticks. Bending and warping a people's will to match your own--to 'build' a nation--may require a stick, but the American people and the international community (overall) wouldn't have gone for that.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Nick Soapdish posted:

If nothing else, that piece of poo poo has ALWAYS been pragmatic. You honestly have to give him credit. First he was fighting on the side of the communist Afghan government during the Afghan Civil War following the Soviet withdrawal. He fought fiercely against Ahmad Shah Massoud, Engineer Aref, and what would become the Northern Alliance. He saw the writing on the wall, him and his men switched sides, and he joined the Northern Alliance, becoming one of Massoud's strongest generals. He fought against the Taliban for years.

After Massoud was assasinated, poo poo looked pretty grave. We didn't know if the NA could be held together. But General Fahim, alongside some top LTs like Engineer Aref and others, were able to hold it together. Alongside the Jawbreaker team from CIA (then later the ODAs) they held strong. Dostum stayed loyal to the NA for the whole fight against the Taliban.

Then he angled himself a top government post in the new government (not an easy task), and was just as corrupt as Karzai and his brother.

Now he sees the writing on the wall once again. Dude's a pragmatic man.

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Aug 14, 2021

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

a big mess

https://twitter.com/UKDefJournal/status/1426639323609411587

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Really makes the enormous defense budget all worth it.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
They’ll probably wait outside Kabul until the Americans leave just because it’s not worth the aggravation.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Seeing pictures of all the rooms of M4s and other stuff left behind by ANA are making me think of what sweet bringbracks the next generation of soldiers to invade Afghanistan will try to take home.

“Oh boy, an M4A1 with a AN/PEQ-2, just like the one Grandpa used!”

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
Don't worry guys, Tim Kennedy is on the case. :jerkbag:

https://twitter.com/TimKennedyMMA/status/1426186675294724102?s=20

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Seeing pictures of all the rooms of M4s and other stuff left behind by ANA are making me think of what sweet bringbracks the next generation of soldiers to invade Afghanistan will try to take home.

:smith:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Spending money on the arts is a waste they said

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

That Works posted:

who's going to pay for that

aaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Grip it and rip it posted:

Did the US ever actually take any necessary steps to try abd build a functioning government in Afghanistan? Seems like no one domestically gave a poo poo about what happened there.
Rajiv Chandrasekaran's Little Afghanistan and Imperial Life in the Emerald City were my guides to our failures in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Bored As gently caress posted:

If nothing else, that piece of poo poo has ALWAYS been pragmatic.
:thunk:
https://twitter.com/bsarwary/status/1426624176073367554?s=19

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
lmao that Sergeant Major of the Afghan Army that I met will never see his dream fulfilled of running a McDonald's in Afghanistan.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

holy poo poo that living room lmao

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Did he get decorating tips from Trump?

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

The absolute mountains of hardware left behind for the Taliban just boggles the mind.

https://twitter.com/Zoya_nafidi/status/1426421162397995010

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Holy poo poo, that rear end in a top hat did pretty well for himself for nearly 20 years. Went from a dusty compound in bumfuck, northeastern Afghanistan, to living like a king for 20 years.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

pantslesswithwolves posted:

It's so depressing

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Fallom posted:

holy poo poo that living room lmao

Taliban visits Robot Restaurant

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

piL posted:

Taliban visits Robot Restaurant

lmao nailed it

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

just lmao at the RGB cove lighting

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

We bought the planes so we can break them if we want to!

Too bad. I'd take a super tucano instead of my bonus payment this year.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Fallom posted:

just lmao at the RGB cove lighting

That dude must be regretting not hiring a few more soldiers to hold onto his sweet pad. Though maybe he ferreted enough money in swiss accounts to live like that wherever he ends up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

That Works posted:

i mean, those b-52s do sure look pretty