Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Thanks for sharing Dodgeball Academia, I'm only past the tutorial but I'm loving it so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1190000/Car_Mechanic_Simulator_2021/

Car Mechanic Simulator 2021 I guess is some kind of upgrade from a previous 2018 version. I like cars but this type of game isn't really my thing, I'm sure some people would like it though.

quote:

Car Mechanic Simulator 2021 is new production with a well-established player base. Start as a fresh owner of a car garage and work your way to a service empire. Get your hands dirty in a super-realistic simulation game that has incredibly realistic detail. Get ready to work on 4000+ unique parts and over 72 cars. Roll up your sleeves and immerse yourself in a crazy-real garage environment.

Expand your range of services by investing in a new work space and equipment. Repair, fix, test, paint, tune and rebuild cars. Pay a visit to a new Auction house and buy cars in various conditions. If you feel lucky you can give it a crack in the barn. Some of them might have hidden gems – if you can find them.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1030060/Seed_of_Life/

Seed of Life looks kind of janky and has no reviews yet. But I'm a bit curious about it.

quote:

Seed of Life is an action-adventure puzzle game that will take you to a beautiful yet toxic world where almost all life has disappeared. There's only one way to survive: help Cora find The Seed, an alien device capable of generating the essence of life, and save your planet from annihilation.

Find your way through a labyrinth like world full of mysteries, dangers and beauty. Search for capsules and learn special abilities. Face off against alien creatures and solve challenging puzzles.

Rusty posted:

Carrier Commander 2 is out, demo seemed cool and they added multiplayer and VR support as well. It has an neat art style that a few new MicroProse releases have.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1489630/Carrier_Command_2/

Played a bit of this yesterday. It's intriguing but I'm not quite sure about it. Maybe after I watch someone play it well and learn some things about it, I couldn't figure out how to do a bunch of things in what was still effectively the tutorial. In general it doesn't even come close to explaining enough, it has a demo of just telling you what to do next but not actually telling you how anything works. Couldn't figure what was the enemy island's command center or how to set off the virus bombs in them.

I like the gameplay of you moving about the bridge attending to different systems, moving the boat and firing weapons and surveilling the enemy and launching unites and directly controlling those units. So I'll try to come back to this one sometime but the tutorial is just not very helpful to actually learn everything you need to know. It's also very time-consuming, I feel like it needs a fast forward button for when you are just waiting for your carrier or your units to get someplace.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
:aaaaa:
https://twitter.com/AxiomVerge/status/1425490103049220104
Switch, PS4, and Epic at launch, PS5 later and Steam eventually. This announcement just made my day/week/month!

Here's the launch trailer if you haven't been following this for years or are somehow not familiar with the first game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZG0vU9RYSE

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://store.steampowered.com/app/674930/Boyfriend_Dungeon/

Boyfriend Dungeon is a combination VN/ARPG where you date weapons that turn into hot people, and use them to dive into dungeons and rescue other weapons that have been abducted.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1062140/Garden_Story/

Garden Story is a combination life sim/ARPG where you go to different seasonal towns and protect them from The Rot, while also making friends, fishing, crafting, building things around town, and restore the various communities.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1459960/Glitchpunk/

Glitchpunk is a spiritual successor to the original top-down Grand Theft Auto games, set in a cyberpunk world.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Play posted:

Played a bit of this yesterday. It's intriguing but I'm not quite sure about it. Maybe after I watch someone play it well and learn some things about it, I couldn't figure out how to do a bunch of things in what was still effectively the tutorial. In general it doesn't even come close to explaining enough, it has a demo of just telling you what to do next but not actually telling you how anything works. Couldn't figure what was the enemy island's command center or how to set off the virus bombs in them.

I like the gameplay of you moving about the bridge attending to different systems, moving the boat and firing weapons and surveilling the enemy and launching unites and directly controlling those units. So I'll try to come back to this one sometime but the tutorial is just not very helpful to actually learn everything you need to know. It's also very time-consuming, I feel like it needs a fast forward button for when you are just waiting for your carrier or your units to get someplace.

Can't speak to this game, but the original from decades ago it was meant to be very simplistic to control everything, and it did have a fast forward button. The game would ultimately play itself, but you could directly control any of the pieces in first person and tell the ship where to go. Sort of a god game merged into a sim. Was cool.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
I never played the original Carrier Command, but I still have fond memories of Hostile Waters - Antaeus Rising which was billed as the Carrier Command spiritual successor. Carrier Command 2 does have a tutorial of sorts but doesn't ease you into the various game concepts. One of the first tasks is to capture your first Island, and it'll get you to deploy a seal with virus bombs and if you just follow the tutorial to the letter you'll lose that seal to an island patrol and scupper your ability to progress and have to start the campaign over again.
[edit]
Actually I'm wrong, you have 4 additional vehicle hulls available in your warehouse but the game doesn't tell you this.

ZombyDog fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Aug 12, 2021

Play
Apr 25, 2006

ZombyDog posted:

I never played the original Carrier Command, but I still have fond memories of Hostile Waters - Antaeus Rising which was billed as the Carrier Command spiritual successor. Carrier Command 2 does have a tutorial of sorts but doesn't ease you into the various game concepts. One of the first tasks is to capture your first Island, and it'll get you to deploy a seal with virus bombs and if you just follow the tutorial to the letter you'll lose that seal to an island patrol and scupper your ability to progress and have to start the campaign over again.
[edit]
Actually I'm wrong, you have 4 additional vehicle hulls available in your warehouse but the game doesn't tell you this.

I launched all the seals, destroyed the enemy patrols with the ship's gun and the seal hulls that had actual weapons, and had the seal with the virus bombs right next to the bigass invulnerable building with the satellite dish which I ASSUMED was the enemy command center. Nothing happened and I had no idea what to do next. I think I actually managed to detonate the virus bombs right next to that building but they didn't do poo poo. There was no explanation of which thing was the command center, how to deploy the virus bombs, etc. And the thought of starting over completely was really unattractive since it took like at least thirty to forty five minutes to get to that point.

I THINK there's a decent and interesting game somewhere under there but they need to do a better job with that tutorial

Philthy posted:

Can't speak to this game, but the original from decades ago it was meant to be very simplistic to control everything, and it did have a fast forward button. The game would ultimately play itself, but you could directly control any of the pieces in first person and tell the ship where to go. Sort of a god game merged into a sim. Was cool.

Maybe this one has fast forward too but if it does I wasn't able to find it.

New games:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1125390/Atrio_The_Dark_Wild/

Atrio: The Dark Wild is a strategy survival crafting game where I guess you use captured animals to help your automation or something

quote:

Survival meets Automation. Capture creatures and add them to your assembly line. Can you survive long enough to turn the lights back on?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1308880/FORECLOSED/

I feel like FORECLOSED is either going to be amazing or absolute garbage, no in-between.

quote:

FORECLOSED is a narrative-driven action-adventure set in a Cyberpunk world filled with action, suspense, and experimental augmentations. Follow the story of Evan Kapnos in this sleek comic book styled game as he unravels the conspiracy behind his identity foreclosure. Who is responsible and why?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1107750/Faraday_Protocol/

Faraday Protocol is a 3D first person puzzle game where you use a special gun to interact with puzzle objects throughout a mysterious structure.

quote:

“Endothermic organic hydration complete. Coordinates reached”. As you deploy from your spaceship, you find yourself in a mysterious place. Your name is Raug Zeekon, from planet Cunor. Your motto: “Explore, Exploit, Expose”. Solve complicated puzzles and discover the hidden secrets of Opis.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1272960/Later_Daters_Part_2/

Ever wanted to date old people? Well, now you can... ya freak. Later Daters Part 2. I think this is actually a full DLC to a base game but it was too funny to skip.

quote:

Something is brewing at Ye OLDE… is the happy family of friends you’ve made headed for splitsville? It’s up to you to keep everyone together or bring on the drama. Whatever you choose, you’re in for a helluva ride.

Includes Episodes 4-7!

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Play posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1190000/Car_Mechanic_Simulator_2021/

Car Mechanic Simulator 2021 I guess is some kind of upgrade from a previous 2018 version. I like cars but this type of game isn't really my thing, I'm sure some people would like it though.

I tried the demo a while back and wasn't super impressed. While there are new things to tool around with it felt a bit limited. The fact that they still don't let you plaster the cars with lovely decals is a shame. If anything I'd recommend the 2018 version for now since they're pretty much the same game and the old one has a bunch of cool cars in the Steam workshop.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The number of companies I am willing to take at face value when they announce a new product is vanishingly small. On this list is 11 bit studios, which today announced Frostpunk 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kfHUN4gFiw

If you never played the original Frostpunk, you're missing out on a fun city builder in a unique setting with :krad: music and a... boss battle? Good news is that you can play it for free as part of the announcement! :toot:

The theme this time is good old fashioned oil! Honestly if they changed nothing and just added more story campaigns like they did for the original DLC, I'd still be pretty thrilled about it. The Arks, The Last Autumn, and On The Edge were pretty great. The Refugees was a bit too samey--it was just A New Home With Maoist Characteristics (as satisfying as that is). I have mixed feelings about the Fall of Winterhome since I found the initial objective onerous to deal with.

In the original, you needed to keep your people warm, fed, and healthy while also making sure they didn't become so discontented or hopeless that they see a violent coup as a reasonable alternative. Aside from building a competent steampunk city capable of mining all the coal and getting all the food needed for the first part, you had a series of laws and policies you could adopt to ease the transition from the Victorian class-stratification of London to worship of the almighty generator on the ice. Not that they didn't bring the class stratification with them--Workers are your noble laborers breaking rocks, hunting game, and generally producing the necessities of life. Engineers are the educated class, and research new technologies and procedures, staff medical facilities, and operate the factories that produce some of the game's steampunk wondertech. Beyond the choices about soup vs. sawdust, child labor vs. schools, and mass graves vs. cemeteries, you also had two mutually exclusive ideologies to pick from that had powerful bonuses for combatting discontent and hopelessness.

Faith brings the light of God to your people--whether that God is the Christian one or some being that lives in the core of your generator is up to interpretation. Order brings stability and discipline through the good old fashioned long arm of the law. They both start off pretty tame: Churches preaching hope and healing houses where you could have workers care for the ill (instead of relying on only engineers). Order brings guard patrols, morning gatherings, and worksite foremen who give nice production boosts.

But it doesn't stop there. Some of the most powerful boons are deeper down their trees, and far more ethically dubious. Order lets you open up a propaganda ministry to tell everyone everything is actually just fine when it hits -120C, and if they don't believe you, you can always just throw them in jail and counter their subversive ideas with patriotic announcements outside of their workplaces! And if all that doesn't work and they refuse your gesture of good will when you offer to let them become an informant for the State, well you can always set up a public execution where you boil their skin off with superheated steam from the generator. That's always a hit with the crowd. The Faith tree gets similar tools as they become more extremist.

Assuming you reach the end of the campaign, the credits will list off all your crimes against humanity and ask you if you think it was worth it (you monster).

Oh, these are also the same folks behind the critically acclaimed This War of Mine. Unless something really damning falls, I expect Frostpunk 2 to be another banger and worth the wishlist spot.

PS: The original is also super pretty.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Lodin posted:

I tried the demo a while back and wasn't super impressed. While there are new things to tool around with it felt a bit limited. The fact that they still don't let you plaster the cars with lovely decals is a shame. If anything I'd recommend the 2018 version for now since they're pretty much the same game and the old one has a bunch of cool cars in the Steam workshop.

Yeah 2021 is mostly just CM2018 with more fluids to change and upgrades. The garage is nicer, performance and graphics are better, they made the tool unlocks less insanely grindy by mostly decoupling it from the perk system, supposedly the paint, auctions and tuning are better but I haven't gone for them yet, the base car variety seems better, some new tools, and lots of little quality of life upgrades. It's a decent refresh, I feel like I got my money's worth but not necessarily a must-have overhaul.

I'd recommend 2021 over 2018 to new players for comfort reasons but if you already have 2018 and aren't going to jump in right away you can stand to wait for a sale.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 13, 2021

Play
Apr 25, 2006

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1074070/Dust_to_the_End/

Dust to the End is a post-apocalyptic RPG with a highly economic bent and occasional turn-based battles. Most of the game is learning about the wasteland and using that knowledge to survive, make money and gain power.

quote:

Nuclear war ended human civilization, but it could never uproot the evil within our hearts. Fight, trade, negotiate, raid– do whatever it takes to survive in the wasteland. You will have to be as clever as ruthless to thrive in a broken world, torn by war, cruelty, hunger and slavery.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Play posted:

Apparently created by a father-son team, Vulgord's Tower is a multiplayer board-game style thing. Not sure if it has AI to play against or not.

Sounds like a blatant knockoff of Dark Tower.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Reported it as defamatory against the victims of 9-11, JFC what valve allows on the platform now.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Aug 14, 2021

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I tried the CMS2021 demo and welp immediately bought it... The game looks like poo poo but I guess that is the point in this kind of cheap games. Textures and especially engine block & head models look like garbage. And I hate their only drive axle's look... Aand especially the non-existent shadows look super awful after playing some sweeeet RTX games like The Ascent & Control.

Hopefully they'll introduce RTX some day! Of course I played the game whole day and still am excited to continue playing it.... Feels like a good game well worth the :10bux::10bux. If it didn't look so ugly tho.... It would be even better.

With the fluids thing they could have introduced sludge too. Flush the engine multiple times to get the sludge out.. or maybe wash all the parts and put it back together :D

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Mercury_Storm posted:

Reported it as defamatory against the victims of 9-11, JFC what valve allows on the platform now.

wow, i didn't notice the first time i clicked through to that game's steam page that the logo literally has a "sun cross" in it. it is a very old symbol which is not always racist, but in recent years it has come to be heavily associated with white supremacists...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_cross

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Aug 14, 2021

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Ok, so Death's Door and Axiom Verge 2 are loving amazing, big recommendations from me. If you're looking for a recent good game, get those blind.

Any other really good games mentioned itt lately and which actually released that are worth buying?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Palpek posted:

Ok, so Death's Door and Axiom Verge 2 are loving amazing, big recommendations from me. If you're looking for a recent good game, get those blind.

Any other really good games mentioned itt lately and which actually released that are worth buying?

Jupiter Hell is great if you're in the mood for a "pure" roguelike

Old World if you want paradox dynasty and events melded with Civ6 4x

The Ascent is a stunning cyberpunk action rpg/twin stick shooter

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

victrix posted:

Jupiter Hell is great if you're in the mood for a "pure" roguelike

Old World if you want paradox dynasty and events melded with Civ6 4x

The Ascent is a stunning cyberpunk action rpg/twin stick shooter
I've been playing The Ascent on the Game Pass and I agree with that one, it's an insanely gorgeous game.

What do you mean by "pure" roguelike? I have enjoyed some roguelikes but they were pretty special (and could probably be called casual) like Hades, Crypt of the NecroDancer, Slay the Spire, Dungeons of Dredmor, BPM (I think it counts?). Is Jupiter Hell more on the hardcore side?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Palpek posted:

I've been playing The Ascent on the Game Pass and I agree with that one, it's an insanely gorgeous game.

What do you mean by "pure" roguelike? I have enjoyed some roguelikes but they were pretty special (and could probably be called casual) like Hades, Crypt of the NecroDancer, Slay the Spire, Dungeons of Dredmor, BPM (I think it counts?). Is Jupiter Hell more on the hardcore side?

Roguelike as in roguelike! It's a turn-based grid-based dungeon crawling roguelike in the grand tradition of Nethack, ToME, ADOM, Caves of Qud and Dungeonmans!

The games you're talking about are more roguelites imho - they're twin stick shooters with the permadeath aspects of roguelike games.

e: I feel like :cloud: when I talk about this but I admit I'm not into the corruption of the roguelike genre by these new-fangled games like Binding of Isaac and Spelunky.

e2: For the record Dungeons of Dredmor is a roguelike and I enjoyed it very much.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I did specifically mention that they could be called casual, no need to stick me in a locker, jeez.

I get what kind of game it is now though, thanks.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I should note that while it's traditional (increasingly: old) in terms of not having meta progression, being turn based, etc, it's also a very very slick and clean design. It plays fast, most of its mechanics are intuitive, you can play it with a controller if you want.

An old school roguelike with modern sentiment.

It's a game about shooting a lot of demons with cool guns and it does that extremely well.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Palpek posted:

I did specifically mention that they could be called casual, no need to stick me in a locker, jeez.

I get what kind of game it is now though, thanks.

Sorry, I got overexcited to be all :cloud: about genretalk.

dreamless
Dec 18, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

e: I feel like :cloud: when I talk about this but I admit I'm not into the corruption of the roguelike genre by these new-fangled games like Binding of Isaac and Spelunky.

My personal hobby horse is that the line of descent from Nethack to Spelunky is pretty direct (as for that matter is Angband -> Diablo) and so it's more like Rogue than a lot of things.

But chunking along grids where enemies move when you do is a very particular aesthetic, and it's nice to have a word for it.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Palpek posted:

What do you mean by "pure" roguelike?

It's so pure, the Dev has personally yelled at me on twitter for considering real time games as roguelikes. Guy's a true genre purist.

(His game is good, don't worry, we just have different genre definitions)

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Surely Crypt of the Necrodancer is a roguelike it is strictly turn based under the rhythm mechanic, it even has a character that lets you play purely turn based without the rhythm.

Anyway time to load up one of my favorite roguelikes XCOM 2
(Jupiter Hell is pretty good though)

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Aug 15, 2021

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

A friend of mine wrote the original Rogue, and IIRC his take on it is “I made a fun game with lots of replayability due to random generation, and if someone else made a fun game and wants to reference mine that’s super”.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

yeah, i don't think this is being done intentionally, but there have been a number of posts in this thread over the past few weeks where i genuinely can't tell if the poster is trying to gatekeep the definition of "roguelike" or not. and some of these posts have looked to me like they go very far beyond even the Berlin Interpretation in terms of narrowness and strictness, which is itself pretty far into being a grognardy narrow definition of the genre.

i always thought the terms "roguelike" and "roguelite" were pretty fluid and that nobody truly agreed on how to nail down either one of them, let alone both :v:

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Aug 15, 2021

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I’m finally trying Hades because it is on Xbox game pass and it is really fun, although I don’t know if it is a -like or -lite :haw:

Gorgeous presentation though. I turned on the god mode that increases damage resistance as you die because I’m not good.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Again, sorry. I’ll stop talking about roguelike / roguelites. I want folks to play these games, not get bogged down in what genre label they’re using. (I also didn’t realize how much I was harping on it!)

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ihmemies posted:

I tried the CMS2021 demo and welp immediately bought it... The game looks like poo poo but I guess that is the point in this kind of cheap games. Textures and especially engine block & head models look like garbage. And I hate their only drive axle's look... Aand especially the non-existent shadows look super awful after playing some sweeeet RTX games like The Ascent & Control.

Hopefully they'll introduce RTX some day! Of course I played the game whole day and still am excited to continue playing it.... Feels like a good game well worth the :10bux::10bux. If it didn't look so ugly tho.... It would be even better.

With the fluids thing they could have introduced sludge too. Flush the engine multiple times to get the sludge out.. or maybe wash all the parts and put it back together :D

Ended up getting it as well and it's allright. I just wish they would have made more QoL improvements. The shopping list feature is still poo poo so I just take screenshots once I know what parts I need to replace and put them on my second monitor.
Also wish there was more to the driving. Obviously don't expect them to make a proper racing game but the car handling should be better and I should be able to use manual shift and look around. The tutorial parts are also worse so it'll be harder for new players to get into it.
That said it's still good if you just want to tool around with car parts.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Palpek posted:

Death's Door

I just tried this, has birb, is good.

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
Super funny to me that someone with the username Lutha Mahtin is posting about the German meeting where a bunch of rules were probably nailed against a wood door but instead of god they were about games

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Lodin posted:

Ended up getting it as well and it's allright. I just wish they would have made more QoL improvements. The shopping list feature is still poo poo so I just take screenshots once I know what parts I need to replace and put them on my second monitor.
Also wish there was more to the driving. Obviously don't expect them to make a proper racing game but the car handling should be better and I should be able to use manual shift and look around. The tutorial parts are also worse so it'll be harder for new players to get into it.

They made the shopping list a lot better, it's still a little poo poo but a huge improvement.

You can single button add things to the list from car view or your inventory and now you can remove individual items.
The biggest improvement is that you can tap items on the shopping list to search for them while in the store. You're able to add and buy things super fast with hotkeys if you're using a keyboard and kind of fast with a mouse(or presumably a controller).

My general workflow is to clear everything between cars and just go through the busted parts in my inventory once I've identified all the problems drop them on the list then buy everything in one go, doing part repairs first when able. For missing parts it's easy enough to buy them individually or pop them on the list as a group while you're in attach mode. I usually go by sections for big jobs and full refurbs.

Will probably post anything else in the Sim thread

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Aug 16, 2021

Play
Apr 25, 2006

priznat posted:

I’m finally trying Hades because it is on Xbox game pass and it is really fun, although I don’t know if it is a -like or -lite :haw:

Gorgeous presentation though. I turned on the god mode that increases damage resistance as you die because I’m not good.

The difference between -like and -lite is just, to my understanding, that -lites have some form of permanent progression, usually upgrades you can unlock after each run that makes proceeding runs more likely to succeed. -likes on the other hand, don't have that feature so every run you start is the same, you never get innately more powerful.

That being said use either one and people will know what you're talking about, and many games are kind of a mix like Enter The Gungeon for example your character doesn't get any stronger but you unlock better guns which gives you an advantage within the runs.

Anyways, new game:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1466640/Road_96/

Road 96 is a procgen road-trip-in-an-authoritarian-country simulator with I assume a bunch of separate vignettes that you can end up receiving over the course of your trip. I assume if you are replaying a lot you'll see the same ones multiple times, although you can also make choices within the vignettes which could keep things fresh.

quote:

Summer 1996, Today is the day!

You hit the road. Adventure. Freedom. Escape. Run. Flee the Regime. Try to survive. On this risky road trip to the border, you’ll meet incredible characters, and discover their intertwined stories and secrets in an ever-evolving adventure.
But every mile opens up a choice to make. Your decisions will change your adventure, change the people you meet, maybe even change the world.

There are thousands of roads across the authoritarian nation of Petria. Which one will you take?

Road 96 is a crazy, beautiful road-trip. The discovery of exciting places, and unusual people on your own personal journey to freedom. An ever-evolving story-driven adventure inspired by Tarantino, The Coen Brothers, and Bong Joon-ho. Made by the award-winning creators of Valiant Hearts and Memories Retold. Announced as part of the OMEN Presents initiative from HP Inc.

Moments of action, exploration, contemplative melancholy, human encounters and wacky situations. Set against a backdrop of authoritarian rule and oppression.

A stunning visual style, a soundtrack filled with 90s hits, and a thousand routes through the game combine so each player can create their own unique stories on Road 96.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Aquila posted:

I just tried this, has birb, is good.
It's incredibly polished AND has great boss fights, owns.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Is Ascent like Diablo where you can revisit old areas for more XP and loot?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Hello Sailor posted:

Is Ascent like Diablo where you can revisit old areas for more XP and loot?

Yeah, it has a persistent map that you'll be constantly running back and forth to do sidequests.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

grate deceiver posted:

Yeah, it has a persistent map that you'll be constantly running back and forth to do sidequests.

That being said farming XP isn't super advantageous I don't think, you get a lot more XP for finishing quests and sidequests and the game seems designed to not encourage grinding. You can farm components and stuff in certain areas if you want but you can beat the game just fine without any grinding/farming at all.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Lodin posted:

You can add the rusty looking parts to list with right click pie menu. Or remove items and in inventory sort by newest. You can then right click to add items to shopping list. I thought the list was garbage until I learned to use it.

You can try to install a tuned gearbox and adjust the ratios with the laptop in dyno room after you build it. You can adjust the turning sensitivity from game menu options. Try different tyres, like racing slicks?

I wish the game had open world where I could just ride around with my cool rides. Like Euro truck sim. Build a car and just drive around... Listen to some 90's eurodance or Scooter..

Even being able to drive around your garage lot would be cool. Here are some pics:

cms2021

I paid like 25€ with the 2 dlc's. For the price I think the game has enough content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Play posted:

That being said farming XP isn't super advantageous I don't think, you get a lot more XP for finishing quests and sidequests and the game seems designed to not encourage grinding. You can farm components and stuff in certain areas if you want but you can beat the game just fine without any grinding/farming at all.

Was about to add that, there's no reason to go back anywhere if there isn't a sidequest to do. There's also no randomized loot in the diablo sense - you have a pool of predetermined items and weapons, each with set stats and abilities. Sometimes enemies might drop something, but you can also just buy it from the shops.