Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

howe_sam posted:

What are you talking about? The Hydra spy detonates the bomb when the observation room is empty in both timelines. The difference is when the room is empty, in the original timeline it's after the experiment and in the Captain Carter timeline it's before.

Guess I just don't remember the room being empty as an important part of the plan, I'll have to watch First Avenger again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
tbh i didn't get the impression that Peggy's location was what caused the difference in the when the bomb was set off, just that she was then able to be there to shoot the hydra agent immediately and take the serum

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

tbh i didn't get the impression that Peggy's location was what caused the difference in the when the bomb was set off, just that she was then able to be there to shoot the hydra agent immediately and take the serum

But then why wasn't Steve just shot and there was no Captain anything in the original.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
well in first avenger everybody is watching from the room above whereas in what if everybody is on the floor, so i guess hydra guy figured it would be better to take everyone out and make a run for it before they could actually use the serum and make a super soldier

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

In the original timeline Steve is already lying there on the machine and the agent is up in the booth before Erskine (not Bradley Whitford's a-hole character) suggests that Carter should leave.

The What If changed that whole scene in order to make the split in timelines dependent on a choice she made (well, two choices). You might say to give her more agency.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I didn't really care for the animation but it fits with What If, no a lister ever drew the book so the show looking like a C list animation studio made it kind of makes sense.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lobok posted:

In the original timeline Steve is already lying there on the machine and the agent is up in the booth before Erskine (not Bradley Whitford's a-hole character) suggests that Carter should leave.

The What If changed that whole scene in order to make the split in timelines dependent on a choice she made (well, two choices). You might say to give her more agency.

the bomb is also on the floor and not in the booth, which is why it kills everybody, and I'm pretty sure the hydra guy didn't do that because he specifically really hated Peggy Carter

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yeah, a lot is changed in order for it to come down to her and nobody else with only moments to spare. The bomb needs to cross off able-bodied men from being second choices and the machine needs to be damaged/already powered up/both so they can't regroup later.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Aug 12, 2021

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Ok yeah, I just went back and rewatched the scene in What If, and I was wrong, the bomb wasn't in the observation room. I'm dumb.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Titans season 3 starts off weird, feels like there's a missing episode. Weird start but I'm still gonna watch.
Surprise new character added!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Titans season 3 starts off weird, feels like there's a missing episode. Weird start but I'm still gonna watch.

I realized I never finished season 2 so I'm doing that before I start 3. Titans is an odd mix of being both better and worse than you expect it to be at the same time.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

I didn't really care for the animation but it fits with What If, no a lister ever drew the book so the show looking like a C list animation studio made it kind of makes sense.

I was curious who they'd have doing art on What If but Marvel Unlimited barely has any issues added.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Skwirl posted:

I realized I never finished season 2 so I'm doing that before I start 3. Titans is an odd mix of being both better and worse than you expect it to be at the same time.

I like that it doesn't seem to care too much about sticking to "the norm" with its material. Again I've only seen the first episode but I like that they're playing around with stuff and not really caring. But boy are they trying their hardest to keep Iain Glen from wearing a batsuit.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
What If? had plenty of serious talent involved, just sporadically.

Just for fun I'll list a few.
Maybe Gil Kane and Herb Trimpe weren't the draws they once were by the late 70s but still! Jack Kirby even drew vol. 1 #11!
Past that you have Sal Busceme, who is an A-lister in my heart, John Buscema, Carmine Infantino, Gene Colan, and that's just cherry-picking folks from the first 20 or so issues.

Edit: Shortly after that as the title firmly moves into the 80s Byrne and Frank Miller do some issues too. It really was not, initially, a place to shunt journeyman artists.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 12, 2021

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm just thinking of the early 90s wasteland up til the end of the second volume. Rare gems but usually not good stuff.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I'm just thinking of the early 90s wasteland up til the end of the second volume. Rare gems but usually not good stuff.

I'll agree to disagree, and I do see your point. Looking at the pencilers during vol. 2 there's maybe a sense of less experienced or proven artists being assigned What If? issues, but like... the first stretch of that is Ron Wilson, a rock solid but maybe undersung Marvel regular since the early 80s, a very young Greg Capullo, Dave Simons, Mark Bagley, Jim Valentino, Ron Lim... a mix of less glamourous veterans and newcomers that I think paid off.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You had me until Ron Lim

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I mean I couldn't tell you anything else Luke McDonnell drew off the top of my head but I do know he drew my favorite issue of What If and I loved the way it looked.

Rhyno posted:

You had me until Ron Lim

You are on my list now.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

He's not my favorite but I'd say he was definitely "A-list" in the late 80s, early 90s. There's also a Liefeld issue in there mid 1989, which hm, I don't know if I'd confidently say he was being treated as a "star" by that point but he was definitely a visible creator who fans were taking note of.

Edit: By the end of vol. 2 though there are definitely a lot of names where I'm either like "who?" or "ah, I remember when he turned out to be a right wing shill."

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 12, 2021

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Shageletic posted:

You prob remembered it bc its a stale cliche, nazi's bringing in a generic Cthulu in a foreboding castle. Its in a million comics and I think Hellboy made a series about it

Its definitely very Hellboyish but its also taken pretty liberally from Agents of SHIELD that had a whole season about Hydra being in spooky castles opening interdimensional gateways to worship and unleash a tentacle god.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Well, I guess we know who dies!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Endless Mike posted:

Well, I guess we know who dies!

I assume one is killed every other episode? If not then why even call it Titans?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
They should have the "In This Episode... A TITAN DIES!!!" stamped on the thumbnail in the app/site.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Rhyno posted:

Apologize to Mike Wieringo.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Supposedly an image of Moon Knight has leaked

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

I also enjoyed What If..., with only one minor complaint: given that Steve fell off the train instead of Bucky, I was hoping this would ripple out to Steve becoming the Winter Soldier. I guess it's not impossible they go that route in a future continuation, but there didn't seem to be any indication that Steve was experimented on to hang that on.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Davros1 posted:

I hope it's fake because it looks like poo poo.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Davros1 posted:

Post a link with spoiler warning?

Edit: found it and lmao yuck. Thank God they cgi everything I suppose.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 13, 2021

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That looks fake to me

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Eh, those aren't bad if I'm seeing the same thing. I'd assume he has multiple costumes, anyways

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

One of the pictures floating around is a fake, it's an edit from Arrow of Ragman. The other appears to be real. The real one I think looks good. I like the wrapping of the costume being incorporated into the logo on the chest to make the crescent moon.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Skwirl posted:

What ifs...? are the only stories where he's present and doesn't break his vow.

or when he needs to call out Hank McCoy

There was also What If? The Avengers Fought Galactus where they can't get the Ultimate Nullifier, so that world's Uatu decides he'll just have to fight Galactus himself.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Don't like it, too Finchy.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

This is the best issue of What If? change my mind

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

WaffleZombie posted:

I also enjoyed What If..., with only one minor complaint: given that Steve fell off the train instead of Bucky, I was hoping this would ripple out to Steve becoming the Winter Soldier. I guess it's not impossible they go that route in a future continuation, but there didn't seem to be any indication that Steve was experimented on to hang that on.

See, I like that. That would have been the predictable, by the numbers path but Zola's in SHIELD custody so he's not there to conduct the experiments. And without him I guess Skull is less interested in converting the Tesseract into tech and weaponry and instead just jumps right into crazier ideas. It kept me guessing and I wasn't really expecting that.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

endocriminologist posted:

Can’t wait to have libs reference this show as proof that I’m actually a man

I just want to say, I just watched the first episode of What If? on the lookout to see what you meant, and it just now occurred to me that you probably meant Y: The Last Man and I'm a doofus.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

How Wonderful! posted:

I just want to say, I just watched the first episode of What If? on the lookout to see what you meant, and it just now occurred to me that you probably meant Y: The Last Man and I'm a doofus.

This did literally make me LOL.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I liked What If but for some reason the Marvel Studios opening irked me. Well, okay, it's always irked me, I think it's over-bombastic and masturbatory but in this particular instance it's like why are you guys spending this ~40 seconds cranking it over your live-action movies before this animated show?

Personally I think it'd be neat if they did the same thing with all the cartoons Marvel's made over the years but I get that some of those are legal issues and none of them are Certified MCU™ official.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 14, 2021

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think technically this is MCU. Like its played as an intro to the multiverse now that Loki's established it in the MCU. So Captain Carter and Hydra Smasher are real MCU characters out there somewhere even if they're just animated.

But clearly the solution is they should add animated Hayley Atwell to the Marvel intro.

And then prepare for Atwell bulk up for that Captain Carter appearance in Secret Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I do kind of wish they'd do weird variant things with the What If opening. It would make perfect sense