Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Utah Governor Spencer Cox has much to answer for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

OgNar posted:

drat, I'm going to send this to Desantis. Literally only changing Cox to Desantis, of course

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

OgNar posted:

I wonder if this dude sent the same letter to Dick Butkus.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

OgNar posted:

I feel like this has to be a joke, but, while Utah isn't the worst GOP state it is the one with some the silliest moral panic-type laws.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Cox thought it was a joke, but he said the people in his office think its real.
I put nothing past Republicans or Mormons.
Both are pretty drat wacky.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I think it's fake only because someone so offended probably wouldn't have used the actual word it reminded them of like that. But we are beyond parody these days so who really knows?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

OgNar posted:

To round all the Mike Lindell poo poo up
He never did produce the proof he has been promising all this time.
What he had was 37tb of data that was not proof and potentially was illegal for him to even obtain. Also his own expert said it was pretty much worthless.

What, you didn't see all the digital Chinese fraud on that big screen?

OgNar posted:

Someone tell Very Concerned Citizen about Santorum.

Also I guess the current talking point is Biden loving over the military as Afghanistan goes right back to the way it was - or worse. Somehow, they're forgetting to mention that the troop withdrawals there and also in Iraq were originally Trump's and Bush's timelines, respectively, and that, in both cases, the draw down was actually extended by the incoming administrations. But I'm sure they're presenting this information in good faith, not suggesting "cut and run" and won't at ALL blame any future acts of terrorism or violence in those regions on Biden or Obama or anything.

Because that would be unpatriotic.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Right wing media has been pushing Regeneron as a treatment for covid a lot lately, and it kind of culminated in Desantis saying he's making it available to anyone in Florida. It is of course much more expensive than the vaccine, but the funny part is for all the people talking about how dangerous the vaccine is because it's experimental and under an EUA, Regeneron is also experimental and under an EUA. I can only assume their love of it is because that's what Trump took when he got covid.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

^^^Does Rick Scott's wife own any Regeneron labs?^^^

Cross posting from My Pillow Con because god drat.

I couldn't bring myself to watch much of that poo poo show but from what I saw my favorite moment/quote was Lindell saying "CNN needs to start reporting the news and stop fact checking it" and the ensuing enthusiastic applause.

I don't even know where to start with that but it really embodies what we're collectively up against here.

Because I mean, who needs a free press or journalists that source their information or editors who check the legitimacy of the poo poo that reporters say and write? That would be crazy! Whoever heard of such a thing?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Twelve by Pies posted:

Right wing media has been pushing Regeneron as a treatment for covid a lot lately, and it kind of culminated in Desantis saying he's making it available to anyone in Florida. It is of course much more expensive than the vaccine, but the funny part is for all the people talking about how dangerous the vaccine is because it's experimental and under an EUA, Regeneron is also experimental and under an EUA. I can only assume their love of it is because that's what Trump took when he got covid.

Wait do you have to pay for the vaccine in Florida?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Not that I know of, which is why it's ridiculous that Desantis is pushing for Regeneron which I think costs around 1600 dollars for treatment (and is only administered after you already have covid, and given through IV, which requires staying in the hospital for many hours) versus a vaccine which is free and you just like, get it and go home.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

no

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
what a loving load of horse shiut. like even ignoring the terible team sport poltics thing. why does human nature tend to going for the experimental cure, instead of preventions?

like is the nugget of wisdom literally "an penney of prevention Is worth more than a pound of cure"?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Twelve by Pies posted:

Not that I know of, which is why it's ridiculous that Desantis is pushing for Regeneron which I think costs around 1600 dollars for treatment (and is only administered after you already have covid, and given through IV, which requires staying in the hospital for many hours) versus a vaccine which is free and you just like, get it and go home.

That just means its good for the economy.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Speaking of fact checking, this will surely be making the rounds this week:

Snopes co-founder David Mikkelson admits to plagiarizing over 50 articles

https://www.avclub.com/snopes-co-founder-david-mikkelson-admits-to-plagiarizin-1847484828

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

PhazonLink posted:

what a loving load of horse shiut. like even ignoring the terible team sport poltics thing. why does human nature tend to going for the experimental cure, instead of preventions?

like is the nugget of wisdom literally "an penney of prevention Is worth more than a pound of cure"?

It has nothing to do with human nature and everything to do with team sports

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Regeneron is made from stem cells. Lol republicans have no values whatsoever.

Lawdog69
Nov 2, 2010

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Isn’t it more “was developed using” rather than “made from”? I think you got to the right conclusion in any case.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Eh, not to defend them but I think that has more to do with the higher ups and Fox News not screeching about STEM CELLS! than it does with people knowing about it and going for it anyways. Your average republican voter is a rube after all

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat

OgNar posted:

I hope he never gets cox.net internet service

It's lovely internet, and also, since we are 3rd graders, it does in fact sound like "COCKS"

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

OgNar posted:

Tipped the hand when they said social justice and sitting

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

SocketWrench posted:

Eh, not to defend them but I think that has more to do with the higher ups and Fox News not screeching about STEM CELLS! than it does with people knowing about it and going for it anyways. Your average republican voter is a rube after all

It has more to do with them not really caring about abortion and stem cells beyond culture war poo poo.

Opposing stem cells feels self-righteous ("we're saving precious little babies from Nazi science experiments!") but if someone invents medicine they want they don't even bother to find out whether it uses stem cells or not

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

SocketWrench posted:

something something the only moral abortion is mine

blah blah the only moral pig derived insulin is mine.

gently caress you got mine. *pours burning oil down the ladder / rope and releases bootstrap destroying nanomachines* boot strap you lazy fucks.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Reminded of that woman from PETA who said that people should stop taking insulin because it was tested on dogs or something and someone pointed out she took insulin so she went "I need to do it to spread the message about how other people shouldn't do it."

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/nikkimcr/status/1426336492939620359?s=21

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Of course he has a man on who should be in prison

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Who was the guest? I’m not directly exposing myself to that.

I’m guessing Allen West or Flynn.

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017
Betsy Devos' brother

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Casimir Radon posted:

Erik Prince of blackwater.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I watched it and don't know what exactly I was supposed to be waiting for. Very much not a pro-click. White nationalist has on a bloodthirsty mercenary to talk about foreign policy. Sounds like any given day. Who cares?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Casimir Radon posted:

Private industry war criminal Erik Prince. Also Tucker ranting about cutting and running from Afghanistan and then ranting about why did we need to go there in the first place within the same breath.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

My reaction to the reveal at the end

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

That's the second least appropriate person he could have had as a guest to talk about that topic.

The least appropriate would be Oliver North (that's actually who I was expecting).

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Twelve by Pies posted:

That's the second least appropriate person he could have had as a guest to talk about that topic.

The least appropriate would be Oliver North (that's actually who I was expecting).

Exactly - none of this is even slightly surprising or interesting. Tucker Carlson invites David Duke on his show to talk about race relations is not a "wait for it" moment. That's an "I could not be more unsurprised" moment.

Same for Tucker invites Prince on to talk about Afghanistan.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Twelve by Pies posted:

Dick Cheney.
And both would blame Biden and Obama for it, nodding so furiously to each other speaking the very air would start to combust.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
I'm not watching that poo poo but I hope that Prince is having the biggest sad right now that his insane Neo East India Company scheme is crumbling right before his eyes.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

"It's time to hold our leaders accountable" Ok, well, since this was put into action by the Orange fecal smear, when are we going to hold Trump accountable? Oh wait, Republican logic "Well it happened when biden was in office, so it was his fault" So wait, what about the 500,000 dead from the botched Covid response under Trump then "Well that wasn't Trump's fault because...."

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Erik was the real wowza, but Tucker and the right's Afghanistan rhetoric is spookily similar to stuff in Soldaten (it's a collection of transcribed recordings of nazi PoWs, and critically during the war, before everyone knew they needed to say they actually hated the nazis the whole time but but but. A lot of them still think Germany will win. I highly recommend, if you're reading this thread it's the sort of the thing you'd probably enjoy)

Specifically though, Tucker and a lot of others on the right sound to me like the nazis, often not even proper SS troops but Wehrmacht troops who just went "eh, guess I can do a shift at the mass execution." Regret is an afterthought. Most of the talk is of blaming others. "That idiot Himmler, we shouldn't have begun cleansing the untermenschen until after we won, now we're going to eat poo poo when they find out. Not that I wanted to do this but the crusade against Bolshevism was the only choice at the time right?"

Among the hopeful nazis there's also a lot of talk that sounds like hopeful MAGAs and Q types. Sixth Army is wiped out, Kursk fails, Rommel surrenders, Mussolini is out, D-Day happens, Bagration happens, the Red Army is less than a kilometre from the Führerbunker, and still people candidly talking among themselves are insisting that the Leader has got a plan and a wunderwaffen or two up his sleeve to turn the tide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Like, tbf the German rockets really would have been war-winning wonder weapons if they'd been deployed in 1940. But they weren't. They were developed at a time when they were basically weapons of spite.