Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if mundaun got mentioned then that's cool as hell. it's like. just barely a shooter in some respects but isn't really focused on that much at all. i like to describe it as if someone made the highway 17 segment of half life 2 into a roughly 8 hour game localized in a small village/outpost in the swiss alps where everyone speaks a language only spoken by a few thousand people in that area in real life and all the textures are hand-penciled drawings that were converted for use in the game.

it took like 7 years to make and was genuinely a joy to play. i highly recommend it, but keep in mind it's more of like a bizarre swiss folklore horror experience than an fps. you get your grandpa's old war rifle at one point but it's intentionally unwieldy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

if mundaun got mentioned then that's cool as hell. it's like. just barely a shooter in some respects but isn't really focused on that much at all. i like to describe it as if someone made the highway 17 segment of half life 2 into a roughly 8 hour game localized in a small village/outpost in the swiss alps where everyone speaks a language only spoken by a few thousand people in that area in real life and all the textures are hand-penciled drawings that were converted for use in the game.

it took like 7 years to make and was genuinely a joy to play. i highly recommend it, but keep in mind it's more of like a bizarre swiss folklore horror experience than an fps. you get your grandpa's old war rifle at one point but it's intentionally unwieldy.

Thanks for the comments, looks really interesting.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Johnny Joestar posted:

I thought it was purely an adventure game, there's actually action to it?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Johnny Joestar posted:

A Romansh dialect? I was intrigued by the screenshots I saw, but actually I'm very interested now. Thanks for the heads up!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Mordja posted:

I thought it was purely an adventure game, there's actually action to it?

it's technically sort of a mild survival horror deal. you have to avoid/take out enemies to make progress. it's not like high octane action by any means but there's a joy to running over weird straw people with a lovely little hayloader blasting some sort of swiss opera music.

overall it's not like the most perfectly fitting game among all the fps ones in this event but i think the dev of dusk and whoever else made friends with the mundaun dev and wanted to help highlight it since it's kinda vaguely in the same vein. the game is the sort of thing i genuinely want to see more of. really a joy to experience just from how unique it is. really good candidate if you want to support an indie venture.

catlord posted:

A Romansh dialect? I was intrigued by the screenshots I saw, but actually I'm very interested now. Thanks for the heads up!

yeah, every voiceline in the game is romansh. a lot of work was put into things, you can tell it was a labor of love.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Well I guess Eggwife sure is a game if you desperately wanted to peer inside the mind of a zoomer coprophilic UK furry. uuuuuuuuuuh :psyduck:

Mordja fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 14, 2021

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Mordja posted:

Well I guess Eggwife sure is a game if you desperately wanted to peer inside the mind of a zoomer coprophilic UK furry uuuuuuuuuuh :wtc:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Mordja posted:

Well I guess Eggwife sure is a game if you desperately wanted to peer inside the mind of a zoomer coprophilic UK furry. uuuuuuuuuuh :psyduck:
The gag of Britain Brexiting Earth was good at least?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Mordja posted:

half of the games on Realms Deep are "ey remember quake" and half are something that would run on background in Idiocracy, it rules

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Shadow Hog posted:

The gag of Britain Brexiting Earth was good at least?

Yeah that one got me.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Part IV (yes I'm going late)

Project Warlock 2 looks better than the first. But almost too fast? It's as if the devs feared slowing down a second, because they have to be the fastest and most chaotic.
We need some catchy name for the 'aesthetics' of games like Limitless Hunger, Cruelty squad, Star Explorers, etc. Cyber Ninety Trash?
In the middle of the chaos of Bears in Space, you can see some cool details. A well executed cartoony aesthetic, too.
Good visuals for Sprawl https://store.steampowered.com/app/1549690/SPRAWL/
I'm usually a sucker for Black+gold aesthetics in wads but an entire game like that seems excessive, Perish. Also, it isn't clear to me the game will have the needed variety and mechanics to sustain a roguelite structure.

Ironically, one of the game that it intrigued me the most wasn't a FPS! Look at this poo poo
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1094250/It_Stares_Back/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUptc3XlQHM
In my veins.

Could Project Downfall be good? I don't know, I couldn't reach to see in between all the color grading, vignetting and interlacing they vomited on top of the game.
Beyond Mankind looks another one that has a good trailer, but i'm not sure about the game. The few parts with shooting looked so so.
Aske, or: Quake 1 with worse enemy design!
Fortunes Run looked interesting, yes. We will have to follow it and see what's about. If you look carefully, part of the fight we see is with a boss, that's why it's that long.
I don't particularly like Viscerafest art style, although it could be fun.
Blood West western + demons/monsters seems a cool combo.

Supplice going commercial huh. I suspected it. This monster is from the Realms 667 beastiary btw, they should replace it:

(or maybe they talked with the creator). It looks good, but also you can see the gameplay pace and level layout is still very based on Doom, that's helping it in having a solid (but known) foundation.

I thought the Crossbow bloodnight game looked eh. To my surprise, it will have a console release too.
Neon Beasts is borrowing a fair bit of Hotline Miami vibes, but I doubt it will have the same success.
AWOL is a TC for Duke3d that turns it into a military FPS. Uh?
It's easy to point to Hedon's flaws, but I played it, and I remember it more fondly for the good parts? So I have some hoped for the second part.
Nightmare Reaper continues with their ambitions. 80 weapons, 170+ fire modes, etc. I still don't dig the art style, but I can overcome it.
I wish games like Wizordum would look at things like Adventures of Square. You can offer that cartoon style AND style be a good feeling FPS.

And that's everything!

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I don't understand how Trent Reznor can make the second most memorable score of any 90's shooter and pretty much zero people have tried to ape that. :geno:

Considering the number of capable dark ambient musicians around who would jump through their own butts at that kind of opportunity, I’m shocked too. There’s a whole lot of possibility outside of buttrock and industrial metal.

edit: Just as one example, this is phenomenal for Torchlight II.

https://youtu.be/THEVRbBv5g0

Hasturtium fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 14, 2021

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Was surprised at no Turbo Overkill, that's definitely one of the games in this subgenre that looks the coolest. Also disappointed at the lack of any concrete release dates, everything's either in Early Access or early development, or just "coming soonish."

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Turin Turambar posted:

Ironically, one of the game that it intrigued me the most wasn't a FPS! Look at this poo poo
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1094250/It_Stares_Back/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUptc3XlQHM
In my veins.

Gives me those Vangers "what even am I looking at" vibes. I like it.

I think?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
So is anything releasing soon that isn't Early Access? I can't blame small devs for wanting to get paid early, but I'm not a fan of buying a linear single player game that just sorta ends after a few levels.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Gives me those Vangers "what even am I looking at" vibes. I like it.

I think?

I've played the original, it's basically an rts, but the rest is a complete loving trip

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Tried the Cultic demo. Played it on hard and was out of ammo almost the entire time but in no fear of dying because enemies dropped a lot of health. Wasn't really feeling it. Don't like the graphics at all. Same issue with HROT. Same issue with most of these new retro shooters.

Try the demo for Severed Steel, it's cool.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

fortunes run is the one that stood out to me when i scrolled thru their steam sale. hope it turns out good.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
QUAKE FTW!!!!

meta²
Sep 11, 2001

What the flip was Grandma doing at the dunes?

ArfJason posted:

QUAKE FTW!!!!

Woah… Quake “revitalized”.

What could this be?

QoL improvements, new content, hd textures, raytracing? Or a modernization of the game with redesigns of old maps and stuff in an improved engine?

The community has already done so much work, I am just so curious what they will do with it. Do they touch core gameplay like movement and weapons? Add in modern multiplayer features?

I love quake so much I honestly will be stoked and purchase/play whatever they do with it.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
gently caress me I thought I had a lot when there were 10 or 11 of these "old school" FPS games on my watch/wishlist. That's just doubled or tripled to the point that I've basically lost complete track of them. So many games...

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Sure enough, Incision feels very DUSK but more grimy* and with alt-fires. Not sure on its level design yet, which has been my worry about a lot of this new crop of retro shooters.

*Maybe too grimy? I had some visibility problems.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

meta² posted:

Woah… Quake “revitalized”.

What could this be?

QoL improvements, new content, hd textures, raytracing? Or a modernization of the game with redesigns of old maps and stuff in an improved engine?

The community has already done so much work, I am just so curious what they will do with it. Do they touch core gameplay like movement and weapons? Add in modern multiplayer features?

I love quake so much I honestly will be stoked and purchase/play whatever they do with it.

I think it’ll just be a new port and going to consoles too. Maybe it’ll have some of those options but I don’t think they’ll touch graphics and movement unless it’s a new TC or new game completely to go along with it.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Yeah I'm imagining something like the Doom Unity ports. Nice to have on consoles but not much you can't already get on PC

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I don't understand how Trent Reznor can make the second most memorable score of any 90's shooter and pretty much zero people have tried to ape that. :geno:

It's comparatively easy to poo poo out bland muddy guitar riffs. I'd also imagine most wouldn't even know where to start with aping something like the Q1 OST

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

MMF Freeway posted:

Yeah I'm imagining something like the Doom Unity ports. Nice to have on consoles but not much you can't already get on PC

Like the Doom Unity ports it could serve as something quick and easy to get the game going on PC without messing with source ports.

meta²
Sep 11, 2001

What the flip was Grandma doing at the dunes?

quote:

‘Quake is back, in this special stream John Linneman from Digital Foundry talks to Jerk Gustafsson of Machine Games about the title’s iconic legacy and what it meant to both of them. The pair will also discuss the additional content Machine Games have contributed to this revitalised edition.’

This language from the leaked schedule and the fact that it’s Machine Games developing it makes me curious nonetheless. I won’t get too excited though.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Dopa was alright

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

So I got around to playing Limitless Hunger and what the hell is that game and why is the soundtrack way better than it has any right to be? Who composed that?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

ArfJason posted:

Dopa was alright

I thought it was real good, but it was also a little jarring 'cause I did it right after I did Scourge and Dissolution, both of which I basically used nothing but rockets, to Dopa being much more restrained with its rocket ammo.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Overbite posted:

Try the demo for Severed Steel, it's cool.
Tried it during Steam Next Fest and it ruled

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Of the three demos I played today, Cultic definitely made the best impression. Age of Hell is cool, but it sure does feel like a Doom mod, for better or worse, and I think its sound design is just bad. Guns sound a little weak and monsters are lacking the signature vocal tells that real Doom has. Incision I'm definitely mixed on and the demo could use some rebalancing. Cultic though just seems incredibly solid all around, with some real punchy combat. Needs more ammo an enemy types tho.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Severed Steel shows off its beautiful detailed and varied gun models a lot better then... almost any game I can think of, actually.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I think Age of Hell shows huge potential but definitely agreed on the sound. They need to punch up the weapons and monsters a lot, though I think the prog rock track sets the right mood.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

cultic looks and feels very cool but wow they really truly put the cultists from blood, for better and for worse, in a game made in 2021

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Mordja posted:

Outside of nostalgia and how much of a chore its engine was to get modernised, is Powerslave actually a particularly good game?

Both versions are good.

The DOS version is an ego shooter in the vein of Duke Nukem 3D with mostly linear levels, but combat is a bit more interesting than a lot of the generic stuff coming out at the time due to the unique weaponry, at least beyond the pistol and machine gun. The levels are labyrinthine (literally) but not to the point of frustration and there's lots of secret areas to uncover which have what appear to be traced playboy ladies with a bunch of egyptian themed stuff covering them up. Clearly the developers had a good hard look at what 3D Realms were doing during development.

The console versions are what is commonly described as "metrovania", hub worlds with permanent upgrades and backtracking. Combat is a bit slower, there's a greater emphasis on platforming and puzzle solving. A true 3D engine too, so levels have more verticality. The game is often compared to Metroid Prime.

Most of what dated the games were clunky tech problems, with those fixed they're not much different from retro-styled shooters being made and sold today.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Aug 15, 2021

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

SCheeseman posted:

Clearly the developers had a good hard look at what 3D Realms were doing during development.
It was originally going to be published by 3D Realms (hence the BUILD engine) under the title "Ruins: Return of the Gods".

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I was making a pun!

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Because they were hard in the pants y'see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause