Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Platystemon posted:

Petition to rename Gulf of Mexico “Gulf of America”

Just wait until we get to the All-Inclusive Resort Wars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Platystemon posted:

I'd accept "Gulf of the Americas".

I wonder why it's Gulf of Mexico rather than the Mexican Gulf? I'd guess to denote the geographical area instead of ownership. Sea of Japan as well. South China Sea. But then we have the Indian Ocean.
Someone had to figure this poo poo out, at least in one language.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I'm not going to look it up, but my gut feeling is blame the British.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The country gets its name from its capital region, and then the gulf gets it from there, and that bothers me. I mean, the Valley of Mexico is well inland.

It’s not as bad as the state of Wyoming being named after a valley in eastern Pennsylvania or Idaho’s name being a total fraud, but it’s up there.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Beats being a state named for a slave owner

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Beats being a country named after “the village over there”.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Platystemon posted:

Jesus, don't say that out loud.

Edit: The USG preferred to name the Utah Territory after the natives instead of cooperating with the LDS settlers and using "Deseret."

Godholio fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 14, 2021

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Godholio posted:

Edit: The USG preferred to name the Utah Territory after the natives instead of cooperating with the LDS settlers and using "Deseret."

Warm deseret. Waaarm des-ser-et. Warm.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mr. Nice! posted:

The logic, for the gulf at least, is that calling it the persian gulf implies that it was historically persian and therefore strengthens iran’s claim to full ownership of the gulf and SoH.

In Israeli Hebrew it's called the Persian Gulf. :shrug:

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

FrozenVent posted:

Beats being a country named after “the village over there”.

I'm stumped, what is this

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfKr-D5VDBU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Platystemon posted:

O.K. but “Arabian” is not itself neutral.

but they're our allies!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

In Israeli Hebrew it's called the Persian Gulf. :shrug:

I'm just saying what they told me when I asked the question. But go bust out any chart or anything the US military uses. It'll be called the arabian gulf. All the briefings talk about the NAG or the SAG etc.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Fair enough, then.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Godholio posted:

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2012/02/09/146643464/call-it-gulf-of-america-not-gulf-of-mexico-mississippi-lawmaker-says

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Mr. Nice! posted:

The USA government and military do not refer to anything as persian except rugs. E.g. Arabian Gulf.

This seemed so implausible to me that I had to look it up. Here's an example of them doing so.
https://history.army.mil/html/bookshelves/resmat/desert-storm/index.html

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Weka posted:

This seemed so implausible to me that I had to look it up. Here's an example of them doing so.
https://history.army.mil/html/bookshelves/resmat/desert-storm/index.html

Persian Gulf was the terminology used during Gulf War 1, but it's definitely all Arabian Gulf these days. I'm honestly a little surprised even a historical site officially hosted by the Army hasn't changed it.

Even weirder is how the USAF Museum has sections for World War 1 and 2, the Korean War, the Cold War, and... the "War in Southeast Asia". Certainly not the Vietnam War, never heard of that.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Even weirder is how the USAF Museum has sections for World War 1 and 2, the Korean War, the Cold War, and... the "War in Southeast Asia". Certainly not the Vietnam War, never heard of that.

Wouldn’t want to leave out the USAF’s proud history in Laos and Cambodia.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Persian Gulf was the terminology used during Gulf War 1, but it's definitely all Arabian Gulf these days. I'm honestly a little surprised even a historical site officially hosted by the Army hasn't changed it.

It's a more honest name for it what with it involving bombings of Laos and Cambodia, as well.

e: fb

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It's a more honest name for it what with it involving bombings of Laos and Cambodia, as well.

e: fb

And ground invasions

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Platystemon posted:

Wouldn’t want to leave out the USAF’s proud history in Laos and Cambodia.

Oh, I totally agree, it just seems weird for the official Air Force museum, of all places, to be the one to acknowledge that. I've literally never seen it referred to that way anywhere else. Especially given the aforementioned political fuckery with "Arabian Gulf".

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/Rimmy_Downunder/status/1426838284915798016

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I’m amazed at the ingenuity of this idiot.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/BurgerPilled/status/1427547500773322767?s=20

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
TAKBIR!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So how many new John Walker Lindhs copycats do we guess this is going to spawn?

Speaking of which, he's been out of the clink for over two years now.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Putting money down on proudly owning anime body pillows being the new fad to Own the Taliban. We live in a dumb enough timeline for that to happen, please let it happen.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
"Hey guys look at this body pillow that I totally just bought just now to show those terrorists what's what!"

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Wrr posted:

Putting money down on proudly owning anime body pillows being the new fad to Own the Taliban. We live in a dumb enough timeline for that to happen, please let it happen.

It was a edgelord joke on a war game at mil sim west, the original video has been long removed from oxide channel.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I want to believe, but the doughy pale fingers and badly mastered gunshots sounds give it away.

Digging the soundtrack though.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

madeintaipei posted:

Warm deseret. Waaarm des-ser-et. Warm.

Just wanted you to know that someone got this and appreciated it.

Hear the crushing steel
Feel the steering wheel

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

It's fake and a year old to boot. Still as funny as ever though

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
"of the ten bolts that are supposed to hold the bed onto the frame on this M923, six were missing and the other four were this"

For reference this is what they're supposed to look like:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Vengarr posted:

It's fake and a year old to boot. Still as funny as ever though

Worth it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Memento posted:

"of the ten bolts that are supposed to hold the bed onto the frame on this M923, six were missing and the other four were this"

For reference this is what they're supposed to look like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnvGwFegbC8

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

As far as I know, one of the few incidents that actually involved someone being referred to the Board for disciplinary action.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/UticaEric/status/1428874717281374211?s=20

Ok, is this the infamous "lost pistol" story we've seen here before? How the gently caress did the Bachelorette end up being the coda to this sordid affair?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

no if it was the story from here he'd have mentioned the body count

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Was the story from here not from Iraq?

My apologies if I’ve misremembered IVFW lore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

pantslesswithwolves posted:

https://twitter.com/UticaEric/status/1428874717281374211?s=20

Ok, is this the infamous "lost pistol" story we've seen here before? How the gently caress did the Bachelorette end up being the coda to this sordid affair?

That actually the least hazardous thing I’ve hear about falling off a Chinook.