Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
recycling works you just have to force people to do it. michigan has a 97% recycle rate on cans because each can is 10 cents and stores add on thr price of the can return and everyone wants their drat money back.

at the same time my neighborhood recycling cans are literally just second trashcans bc theres no imperative

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
parents: "wow our little angel is so cute up there!!"
kids, naively hoping: "I hope the fossil fuel execs out there finally get the message and stop ruining the world for my generation."

sweet corn tastes good but that doesn't make up for the fact that it's empty calories or for how corn is heavily subsidized and ubiquitous in food products. Even more empty calories. In everything.

Potatoes are better for you and a better product but they suck up soil nutrients like whoa so you can't grow them all the time.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my city does single stream recycling which they picked because it means a high volume of material gets thrown in the bins, but, sorting it is very costly and everything gets contaminated so i think they end up throwing most of it away

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Muscle Wizard posted:

recycling works you just have to force people to do it. michigan has a 97% recycle rate on cans because each can is 10 cents and stores add on thr price of the can return and everyone wants their drat money back.

at the same time my neighborhood recycling cans are literally just second trashcans bc theres no imperative

almost all plastic is so cost prohibitive to recycle that it never gets recycled.

Cans and glass are generally fine but all plastic bottles and tetra packs and poo poo are absolutely not getting recycled.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

lobster shirt posted:

my city does single stream recycling which they picked because it means a high volume of material gets thrown in the bins, but, sorting it is very costly and everything gets contaminated so i think they end up throwing most of it away

there are tons of things that can be done to make recycling easier but they'd require heavy investment. A lot of plastics simply cannot be easily or efficiently recycled (relatively, speaking) so, making no money from it, recycling companies don't bother to collect them. People don't even bother to check the numbers before tossing them into a bin because gently caress looking at a chart and then googling to see if anywhere near you recycles that stuff. Also gently caress having to waste water to clean recyclables off.

The companies that produce the difficult-to-recycle materials should be responsible for collecting and recycling them or, if that is resource prohibitive, just shouldn't be allowed to produce them. But any law passed will have by need exceptions which every company would instantly apply for and get.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

lol yeah the 'reduce' part really runs counter to the whole capitalism thing

i'm recycling! *chucks paper cup from $7.99 coffee into blue bin, buys another yearly iphone release*

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

silicone thrills posted:

almost all plastic is so cost prohibitive to recycle that it never gets recycled.

Cans and glass are generally fine but all plastic bottles and tetra packs and poo poo are absolutely not getting recycled.

Plastic manufacturers have known since the very beginning that recycling plastic was never going to be 'economically viable', but they launched a whole PR campaign to shut the environmentalists up anyways. And even if the economics weren't an issue its straight up physically impossible to meaningfully re-use most plastics, since plastics lose most of the properties that make them useful after being melted down. Plastics were destined to be trash from the very start. Worse, plastic sorted for recycling is routinely shipped off to China or some other developing country and burned, poisoning the atmosphere there. Throwing your plastic in the trash, unsorted, and letting it go into a US landfill to poison *our* land is unironically the more responsible decision. Stop sorting plastics.

Do sort cardboard, metals and glass though. Those are all very reusable.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
plastics are basically evil yeah

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 38 minutes!
isn’t pretty much any black or dark-colored plastic impossible to recycle effectively because sensors don’t pick it up and the dye makes the product undesirable? dark mode baby

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

the us military could easily bomb a large chunk of the fossil fuel infrastructure. the refineries, coal power plants, natural gas compressor stations, etc are all relatively easy targets even for our brave drone operators to hit. they wouldn't even have to fly that far for most of them, we got a lot here at home that'd be easy pickings, no stealth required.

hell a compressor station should be a lot easier to hit than a wedding.

so please don't say there's nothing the USA *can* do to fight climate cahnge.

The US *could* devote all of its scientific, economic, and industrial might towards producing enough nuclear plants to buy us time to transition to renewables and aggressively crack down on pollution in order to apply brakes and maybe keep us out of the worst case scenarios that we still have time to stop, but we won't because where's the money in that?

Sad Billionaire
Mar 31, 2009

What a twist
Fan of Britches
we just need OPEC to expand production a little first

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://mobile.twitter.com/photowhitehouse/status/1426663189354225664

5000 troops back to the meat grinder. loving lmao. at least when they left vietnam they actually loving left.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

blaming trump at the end :chaostrump:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Pamela Springstein posted:

blaming trump at the end :chaostrump:

It'll work too

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Sad Billionaire posted:

we just need OPEC to expand production a little first

Look, if numbers are bad going into midterms the democrats might lose their majority, and we really need to not only keep what we have but expand our majority so we can't get blocked by Manchin, Sinema, or whatever monster of the week pops up. So if we want to save the environment we gotta pump that oil and get cheap gas going. Then we can work on climate change! Well, no, then we have to worry about the 2024 elections, the most important election of our lives, and we can't look weak on the economy by undercutting growth with environmentalism. But after that. 2025. Thats when we'll really start buckling down on those Paris Accords. Unless we don't get enough Senate seats, then 2028 for sure.

Sad Billionaire
Mar 31, 2009

What a twist
Fan of Britches

:fap:

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

trumps fault trumpa fault trunopl flaurt

https://mobile.twitter.com/joebiden/status/256577650208935936?lang=en

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/ebruenig/status/1426600913700065286?t=582t-N-_Om6z5btA8xyOxQ&s=19

See comments for BUT TRUMP and people calling Bruenig and Dowd racist

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I don't actually know who Maureen Dowd is, maybe she is racist, but not in this article

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/DanDhoust24/status/1426607048884592645?t=oCkLSFcgUZacoyrCOPd8hg&s=19

Get that money

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

ram dass in hell posted:

lol welcome back flaevius, the mod that truly represents cspam and all other forums should make assumptions about the rest of us based on

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

loquacius posted:

I don't actually know who Maureen Dowd is, maybe she is racist, but not in this article

She's the one who got hella loving high in a hotel room in Colorado because instead of eating only a square of edible she ate a whole candy bar against the advice of the weed shop.

Then wrote about it and acted like she was dying and like legal weed was irresponsible for letting her do that to herself.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

loquacius posted:

she wrote the funniest article about weed ever. where she traveled to colorado, bought a thc chocolate bar, gnored the serving suggestions and gobbled the whole thing then had a bad trip in her hotel room and concluded it was too dangerous to legalize

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

silicone thrills posted:

She's the one who got hella loving high in a hotel room in Colorado because instead of eating only a square of edible she ate a whole candy bar against the advice of the weed shop.

Then wrote about it and acted like she was dying and like legal weed was irresponsible for letting her do that to herself.

lmao yeah

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

silicone thrills posted:

A classic

lmao

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Maureen Dowd sucks, which actually shows how lovely Obama's soiree was, that it clearly pissed off even a bunch of succ diehards and the like.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1426668707019956229?s=20

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

yellowcar posted:

lol yeah the 'reduce' part really runs counter to the whole capitalism thing

i'm recycling! *chucks paper cup from $7.99 coffee into blue bin, buys another yearly iphone release*

almost no one considers the gently caress ton of trash they’re generating when they drink cans of soda and bottles of water just to start with. you can terminate any consideration or realization that you could just drink water and not generate an enormous amount of permanent waste with a little blue bin

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Nix Panicus posted:

Plastic manufacturers have known since the very beginning that recycling plastic was never going to be 'economically viable', but they launched a whole PR campaign to shut the environmentalists up anyways. And even if the economics weren't an issue its straight up physically impossible to meaningfully re-use most plastics, since plastics lose most of the properties that make them useful after being melted down. Plastics were destined to be trash from the very start. Worse, plastic sorted for recycling is routinely shipped off to China or some other developing country and burned, poisoning the atmosphere there. Throwing your plastic in the trash, unsorted, and letting it go into a US landfill to poison *our* land is unironically the more responsible decision. Stop sorting plastics.

Do sort cardboard, metals and glass though. Those are all very reusable.

i think even glass may be an issue

i live like five miles from dc in one of the highest-income counties in the country, and our recycling system either has you drop off glass at big bins where it's sometimes ground up into asphalt for road projects (or just throw away when they have too much), or just throw it away.

they say glass is basically trash and it breaks their machines and to just trash it

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

access to assess

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

gay_crimes posted:

almost no one considers the gently caress ton of trash they’re generating when they drink cans of soda and bottles of water just to start with. you can terminate any consideration or realization that you could just drink water and not generate an enormous amount of permanent waste with a little blue bin

this is just distraction from the true sources of waste and pollution though

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

500 good dogs posted:

this is just distraction from the true sources of waste and pollution though

yeah the electricity needs to be rationed, roads torn up, we need degrowth and [redacted], but in the meantime, I have to deal with being libsplained that bringing my mug to the coffee bar instead of getting a disposable cup is pointless. I mean, we should stop importing coffee too because coffee production is also an enormous emitter. gently caress, I’m in the wrong thread

biceps crimes has issued a correction as of 23:29 on Aug 14, 2021

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

the milk machine posted:

i think even glass may be an issue

i live like five miles from dc in one of the highest-income counties in the country, and our recycling system either has you drop off glass at big bins where it's sometimes ground up into asphalt for road projects (or just throw away when they have too much), or just throw it away.

they say glass is basically trash and it breaks their machines and to just trash it

If they cared, glass can be ground up, melted down, and re-blown into new glass almost endlessly. But the materials that go into making fresh glass are probably incredibly cheap, so maybe it falls into the 'not economically viable' box

E: glass and metals can be recycled endlessly with 100% efficiency. Cardboard is recyclable maybe 5-6 times before its beyond re-use. Plastic is like once, at best, and at a much lower quality than the original

vvvvv Thats pretty cool, I didn't know that.

Nix Panicus has issued a correction as of 23:35 on Aug 14, 2021

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Nix Panicus posted:

If they cared, glass can be ground up, melted down, and re-blown into new glass almost endlessly. But the materials that go into making fresh glass are probably incredibly cheap, so maybe it falls into the 'not economically viable' box

You actually need recycled glass to make more glass more efficiently. It makes it so the absolute temperature to melt it down is lower - at least thats the way "how its made" explained it to me years ago. Virgin glass is actually almost purely negative. Takes more energy to make and isn't better in any way.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Nix Panicus posted:

yeah that makes sense. seems like their sorting equipment can't handle it w/ metal + cardboard i guess, and it's probably not worth any money to them

Sad Billionaire
Mar 31, 2009

What a twist
Fan of Britches
when i was in germany they literally just reused glass and plastic bottles (they were a much sturdier plastic) and made it super easy to get money back when you brought in the used ones. obviously not a magic solution but goddamn it was so easy.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

loquacius posted:

total pussy who can't handle her edibles

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah glass is something that's like 90%+ sourced from recycling here last i checked, but it's been that way since yugoslav days so maybe it's just survived the 30 years of capitalism accidentaly idk

Sad Billionaire posted:

when i was in germany they literally just reused glass and plastic bottles (they were a much sturdier plastic) and made it super easy to get money back when you brought in the used ones. obviously not a magic solution but goddamn it was so easy.

i remember coca cola making a big deal out of their "reusable plastic bottles" here. they were way sturdier than normal pet bottles (which are already basically indestructible if you don't go at them with a cutting tool), but then like 10 years later it turned out they didn't reuse them at all, and couldn't recycle them back into pet bottles either because they used the wrong kind of plastic lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I think America actually does less recycling now than it did when I was a kid. I remember as a kid, there was a special truck that came and picked up our 2-liter soda bottles and any other plastic trash we had, and this was in suburban Mississippi. At some point that stopped and I'm sure it's because somebody needed to cut the budget.

Rubellavator has issued a correction as of 23:43 on Aug 14, 2021