Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Ainsley McTree posted:

i still lol a little every time i remember "she's upset; i'm upset"

What was that from again? It sounds familiar, but I've no idea why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

tsob posted:

What was that from again? It sounds familiar, but I've no idea why.

Thiala and Murph’s reaction to Jakes first turn in the final battle

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah it's from the finale; Jake simply would not stop critting and I think in the short rest, murph said that he borrowed some of thiala's hit points from her second form just to let the first form fight go on a little longer for radio purposes, otherwise he would've womped her before she got to do much.

I guess it's a fair tradeoff for fighters being boring to play, they gotta be good at something

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Yeah, I'm just watching that crit compilation of the first campaign someone made on YouTube and Hardwon crits 15 times in the final battle alone. Which is loving nuts. Then again, as Emily pointed out, he attacks 4 times a round rolling with advantage on each because of various feats and has two action surges; so he can attack 8 times a round in the first two rounds, with advantage on each attack. He also crits on a 19 as well as 20, giving him 1 in 10 chance of critting to anyone else's 1 in 20 chance. Which results in 582 points of damage in two rounds from Hardwon alone (297 and 285). The frustration in Murph's voice is really, really evident. I love Caldwell just bursting out laughing from sheer disbelief after the second round when Jake says how much damage he did though. And yeah, I vaguely recall him saying that he pulled hit points from Thiala's second form to keep the first form going a while longer.

I might have to download the episode properly and re-listen to that fight just because it doesn't include all Murph's reaction to Jake's damage. I should re-start the campaign at some point, honestly, but I'm consistently a week behind on the main campaign at the moment already because I just don't have the reason to listen to podcasts as much at the moment during lockdown since I'm not out and about nearly as much as I used to be, so I probably wouldn't listen to it nearly as consistently as I'd like to.

tsob fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 22, 2021

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah I honestly started feeling bad for Jake at a certain point, because Murph was getting noticeably agitated at how much unexpected damage he was doing, but the dice tell their story, Jake never asked to crit 15 times

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Murph allowing a Champion fighter have Reckless attacks was asking for a whomping.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea the joke about Fighters is as long as they can overcome any inherent DR and other magic bullshit their whole thing is just 'I'm very normie but if you let me live to like level twelve I just ascend into becoming a living meat grinder you have to feed monsters into'

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Also allowing Emily’s pixie plan was a wild choice as well

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Emily doing real research to mechanically obliterate a boss is a real joy, it's also fun when she does the research and than cannot roll at all like with the ghost dragon a few ep ago.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea, the only thing funnier than 'oh wow Emily actually researched what her character can do for this big set piece fight to be sure she can fight as best as possible, leading to funny moments with her characters suddenly becoming hyper-competent murder machines' is 'all of that, but good ol Emily dice keep making her beef all her cool ideas'.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

sexpig by night posted:

Yea, the only thing funnier than 'oh wow Emily actually researched what her character can do for this big set piece fight to be sure she can fight as best as possible, leading to funny moments with her characters suddenly becoming hyper-competent murder machines' is 'all of that, but good ol Emily dice keep making her beef all her cool ideas'.

It works great when she's casting spells that don't require an attack roll though. She did some crazy poo poo in Crown of Candy by just using spells that forced the DM to roll saves, all she had to roll was damage.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I've listened to most of the final episode again now (or at least, the first part of it's two halves) and I had forgotten that while Jake clowned on Thiala through crits, Emily used a loving cantrip to gently caress Thiala and prevent her from healing any damage. Which is just as astounding in it's own way.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
The new D&D Court theme music is fantastic

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Glad that we're circling back to Blastin Grandma

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm glad they seem to be making d&d court a monthly thing; it's always really funny and I imagine it eases up the pace of the campaign so murph can take his time with it a little more. I like that patreon subscribers get a bonus episode too.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Their reaction to the "metagaming" case was amazing.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

docbeard posted:

Their reaction to the "metagaming" case was amazing.

i want to see a one shot with those people

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

They’re recording in person again and the already high quality of Short Rest instantly skyrockets

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

They’re recording in person again and the already high quality of Short Rest instantly skyrockets

gonna just go ahead and second this, good lord

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It's so rowdy, I love it. Dungeons and Daddies recently went back to in-person recording too and they had a similar "up late at a sleepover" energy

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ainsley McTree posted:

It's so rowdy, I love it. Dungeons and Daddies recently went back to in-person recording too and they had a similar "up late at a sleepover" energy

yea between in person just being genuinely easier to riff in and all and the general pent up 'oh god I haven't been in a room doing this in like a year' energy NADDPOD and Dungeons and Daddies have been spectacular.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

This bahumia 2-shot is very fun so far. I'd never heard of the DM before, but he's got a great energy and has obviously done his fanservice homework

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I listened to the Short Rest from two weeks ago and wondered if you meant that initially since I was catching up and wasn't sure of the dates, because they spent the entire Short Rest going off-topic about the jean jacket and it felt pretty chaotic, but yeah, as soon as last week's started I realized "Oh no, nope, he definitely meant this one". It's not even that they're being extra chaotic, it's just the energy in them that's immediately and unmistakably apparent.

Ainsley McTree posted:

This bahumia 2-shot is very fun so far. I'd never heard of the DM before, but he's got a great energy and has obviously done his fanservice homework

Yeah, I've only listened to about 20 minutes at the tail end of a walk but he's referencing a lot of little things throughout that like Stunkbug and Caw-Caw. I loved him telling everyone that Balnor teleported in while sitting on the can too. Still, my favorite joke already is Emily hearing "You see a tall gnome; taller than Hardwon even, but definitely a gnome" and deciding "Moonshine instantly perks up", and then literally the second the gnome talks in a really refined manner Emily cutting across him to go "no, never mind". They haven't lost a beat as the Boobs.

tsob fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jul 24, 2021

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

"I'm getting a little heated so I'm gonna go take another dip in the cheese"

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
My one question for the episode is they rolled a nat 20 on a luck check to get hit by a train, what would have happened if they rolled badly?

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I cannot loving believe they made Jake watch Naruto.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Not Operator posted:

I cannot loving believe they made Jake watch Naruto.

I hope they make him watch more shonen and/or anime in future, since he seemed to like it and for all the crew talk about how great they think Naruto is (and it is pretty good for a while) the story definitely peters off over time (which it sounds like is at a point beyond where any of them have watched) and there are better shonen shows out there, as well as better anime full stop. They mentioned Fullmetal Alchemist, so it'd be cool to get them to watch that. Or Trigun. Of course, it'd probably just be one episode, but I'd be even cooler if some or all of them enjoyed some one of the shows enough to go further and give their opinion on the rest at some later point. Emily seemed to think them enjoying a thing made for worse content, but honestly, I didn't think it was. It wasn't notably better or worse, because just hearing them talk about a thing and all the side tracks they wander down is fun regardless of whether they enjoy it or not.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I found myself angrily rolling my eyes when they announced they they had watched the subbed version. A few months ago when I found out they were watching DBZ Kai, I went and watched the episodes first for context, as most reviews are better if you've seen what they're reviewing. Of course watched the DBZK episodes subbed because that's what you do, right? Then during the review they mentioned that they were watching it dubbed, so this time when I heard they were watching Naruto I chose the dubbed version. So annoying! :(

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Always watch in the original language.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Gaius Marius posted:

Always watch in the original language.

Anime should always have a dude with a Brooklyn accent for no reason and if that's not in the original Japanese then you need to shop for a language that has it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Bip Roberts posted:

Anime should always have a dude with a Brooklyn accent for no reason and if that's not in the original Japanese then you need to shop for a language that has it.

What's the matter with dubbing, we like it very much

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

that mist encounter was harder than some boss fights

i wonder what murph's plan was to save them on the VERY reasonable chance that all 3 became simultaneously incapacitated (and it's not like they blundered into it or anything, wasn't their fault for not preparing better or anything, so highly doubt he'd be ending this game there lol)

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i hate to be negative about this show, but something's been bugging me a lot lately and i have to bring it up

the short rest should be like twice as long it's so good and i want more of it

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm glad their patreon is doing as well as it is, it's nice to have so much stuff to listen to every week. I've subbed to a few other d&d podcasts too, and the usual cadence seems to be an episode every 2 weeks with a commentary episode on the off-weeks, so I'm impressed at the naddpod crew's productivity. Being able to quit their day jobs is obviously a boon there I imagine

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm glad their patreon is doing as well as it is, it's nice to have so much stuff to listen to every week. I've subbed to a few other d&d podcasts too, and the usual cadence seems to be an episode every 2 weeks with a commentary episode on the off-weeks, so I'm impressed at the naddpod crew's productivity. Being able to quit their day jobs is obviously a boon there I imagine

isn't it just murph that works on it full-time? afaik caldwell's still working on big city greens at least

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Goddamn this last episode loving ruled. I’m a sucker for awakened undead civilizations and the hosed up poo poo they get into [see also: Eox in Starfinder] and Murph really outdid himself setting up the lore. I feel like this episode will have me hooked until the end. And Emily throwing a wrench in everything at the end?? I gasped out loud. Can’t wait to hear what happens next.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

timp posted:

Goddamn this last episode loving ruled. I’m a sucker for awakened undead civilizations and the hosed up poo poo they get into [see also: Eox in Starfinder] and Murph really outdid himself setting up the lore. I feel like this episode will have me hooked until the end. And Emily throwing a wrench in everything at the end?? I gasped out loud. Can’t wait to hear what happens next.

One of my favorite things about the show is how consistently Murph is surprised by his players, and particularly his wife, wanting to intervene in the tragic or just plain weird situations he sets up.

Also new temporary characters next week while the party's split!

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

even though all those guys were nu-metal murph still did a really good job setting the stakes towards the end of that

that entire encounter was brilliant in how many different ways it could've gone and still worked perfectly to advance the plot

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Looks like there's an editing mishap with the latest episode so we're getting a D&D Court this week and new Eldermourne next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ooh, and apparently Lou returns as a judge for this week's session.