Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Late Fees posted:

Well my wife got home from work a few minutes after my first post and from what I can only assume is black magic had the kitten purring and eating out of her hand in like 20 minutes. We gave her a bath (the kitten, not my wife) and an unbelievable number of fleas came off. It's a wonder she had any blood left. The vet gave her an iron shot and some dewormers but said she was too anemic to test for FeLV. She's been putting on lots of weight and learning a lot about head scratches. Assuming she doesn't have FeLV, she's probably out of the woods. We've even got a potential adopter lined up :)

https://i.imgur.com/g4Ck08e.mp4

Lookit her little mustache! :3:

Fighting Trousers fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jun 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
We took one of our outside cats that we had previously TNR'd to the e-vet today since none of the regular vets were able to get her in to look at a limp in her back leg and they charged us, a TNR and rescue group, 700 dollars to examine her and take xrays. It's really just reprehensible.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj

mcmagic posted:

We took one of our outside cats that we had previously TNR'd to the e-vet today since none of the regular vets were able to get her in to look at a limp in her back leg and they charged us, a TNR and rescue group, 700 dollars to examine her and take xrays. It's really just reprehensible.

I pretty much hate our local e vet. Everything is about $$ for them. They will absolutely do anything to tack on another unnecessary charge and let your animal suffer rather than giving humane advice. The last time I had to bring a cat to them, they wouldn't tell me what was going on until I told them to stabilize the cat and pack it up to leave and that I was going to bring it to our regular vet in the morning. Then they finally told me that the cat most likely had a perforated lung and that it's chest cavity was full of fluid. So why exactly did they have it suffering in the oxygen box for a couple hours without any pain relief or humane intervention? Wtf! And yes, just like you, e vet knew this was a wild tnr cat.

Comrade Cakewalk
Nov 4, 2006
Win a cake for the motherland.
Yep. I had one of the little kittens suddenly crash 2 weeks ago and didn't bother going to the e-vet because I knew I'd just come home with no kitten and a $3k bill.

The other kittens are doing fine. They all got URIs from their mother and the littlest one that died got pneumonia. The others responded well to the antibiotics my regular vet gave me and seem to be over it.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
One time I took my cat to an e-vet because he'd gotten sick, stopped eating, and got fatty liver. They told me that he'd need a feeding tube, which they couldn't do only our regular vet could do. However they did offer to monitor him overnight until our vet opened, at a cost of $1200 (on top of the $800 we were already being billed for diagnostics). Odin stayed home that night and probably got better care than they would have given him.

Now if we have to go to the e-vet we go to the one that actually has a veterinary ICU. We were recommended that one by a friend who works for our local SPCA and while they're still expensive, it's not as much as the other worthless place and they actually DO something. We paid about $1800 when we took our cat with a bladder stone causing obstruction to them, and that bill was for surgery and almost 5 days of ICU care and meds.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
We have another option for an e vet to try next time. A recommendation from a friend. We'll see if this new e vet works out better. Hoping really hard that we don't find out any time soon. It's expensive to patch up strays as well as our own kitties.

Late Fees
Jan 8, 2004
Your fees are valid.

Late Fees posted:

Well my wife got home from work a few minutes after my first post and from what I can only assume is black magic had the kitten purring and eating out of her hand in like 20 minutes. We gave her a bath (the kitten, not my wife) and an unbelievable number of fleas came off. It's a wonder she had any blood left. The vet gave her an iron shot and some dewormers but said she was too anemic to test for FeLV. She's been putting on lots of weight and learning a lot about head scratches. Assuming she doesn't have FeLV, she's probably out of the woods. We've even got a potential adopter lined up :)

It turned out she had FIP and didn't have a chance from the beginning :(

It's a huge bummer and we're obviously crushed, but ironically this whole ordeal has made me more eager to get into fostering. Hopefully I'll have happier stories to tell soon

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Poor girl. She was adorable.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Losing a cat you've rescued is loving gutting. At least you made her last few days comfortable and she didn't have to be outside.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

mcmagic posted:

Losing a cat you've rescued is loving gutting. At least you made her last few days comfortable and she didn't have to be outside.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

She was warm, full, and flea free for as long as you could give her. That means a lot, and if you do get into rescue because of her, her short life will have saved many others. You did good, OP.

Late Fees
Jan 8, 2004
Your fees are valid.

thanks y'all for the kind words :sympathy:

Commissar Kayla
Dec 27, 2008

mistaya posted:

She was warm, full, and flea free for as long as you could give her. That means a lot, and if you do get into rescue because of her, her short life will have saved many others. You did good, OP.

This. I'm so sorry it happened, it's always awful. We hope that giving that kind of care to a cat for their entire life will amount to a decade or two of enjoyment, but sometimes it's only a few days. I remind myself that no matter how long or short they are with us, they knew nothing but love and care for that time. :sympathy:

Comrade Cakewalk
Nov 4, 2006
Win a cake for the motherland.

Pretty boy getting some snuggles on the couch, then...

zonk! Lol

The kitties are all weened now, but not big enough to adopt out yet. They're at this wonderful age where they're all sock assassins and are exploring the house for new and exciting places to hide poops.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

So Marv got adopted! And he's in for a life of chillaxing (pictured here in his natural state with his forever dad)

I will also bless this thread with my new fosters....

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jul 19, 2021

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

TimTam 1 year after we got him from the SPCA, looking majestic as gently caress.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
The F L O O F

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

That is a very good name for a cat.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Blackhawk posted:

TimTam 1 year after we got him from the SPCA, looking majestic as gently caress.

:eyepop: Amazing. I would be constantly touching him. He'd hate me.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

M A J E S T I C

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Blackhawk posted:

Goodness. :stwoon:

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

I would very much like to hug that cat.

I mean, I want to hug every cat, but sometimes a particular cat more than usual.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Safari Disco Lion posted:

I would very much like to hug that cat.

I mean, I want to hug every cat, but sometimes a particular cat more than usual.

:same:

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

I have an urgent foster kitten health situation right now. I just picked up a kitten from another foster house who is not doing well at all. Apparently he vomited yesterday, was acting fine today till a couple hours ago when he suddenly collapsed and became very lethargic.

4 week old male. Warm and breathing but mostly unresponsive. Emergency vet said that there wasnt much they can do at this age and said to keep him warm. Any other suggestions?

Edit: currently keeping him warm and feeding a sugar mixture with an eyedropper per fading kitten instructions

Vernii fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 8, 2021

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Vernii posted:

I have an urgent foster kitten health situation right now. I just picked up a kitten from another foster house who is not doing well at all. Apparently he vomited yesterday, was acting fine today till a couple hours ago when he suddenly collapsed and became very lethargic.

4 week old male. Warm and breathing but mostly unresponsive. Emergency vet said that there wasnt much they can do at this age and said to keep him warm. Any other suggestions?

Edit: currently keeping him warm and feeding a sugar mixture with an eyedropper per fading kitten instructions

friends say the go-to for warming is to to put a heating pad under half the box, so it can get on and off as it needs to

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

A big flaming stink posted:

friends say the go-to for warming is to to put a heating pad under half the box, so it can get on and off as it needs to

He's not even that conscious. Currently on a towel and heating pad combo so warmth shouldn't be an issue. Just generally unresponsive other than still breathing.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

That doesn't look like nearly enough information to give more targeted advice; whatever his issue is, I don't think anyone can diagnose it over the internet anyway.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Good news, he seems to have recovered. I did an hour of applying a sugar mix to his gums every 3 minutes and he slowly came back around to the point we could get some pedialyte in him. He's back to acting like normal and eating fine again.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Vernii posted:

Good news, he seems to have recovered. I did an hour of applying a sugar mix to his gums every 3 minutes and he slowly came back around to the point we could get some pedialyte in him. He's back to acting like normal and eating fine again.

Well done. I was going to post some advice but then I remembered it's been years since I've helped a kitten and that made me a little sad. Hang in there and ride the swings, be prepared for a turn down again but remember you got him out of it once. You're doing awesome.

Also I owe some butter pics. He's doing fine and still actively trying to ruin my life.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Vernii posted:

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!

Vernii posted:

That's awesome and you're awesome for sticking with the little guy!

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Vernii posted:

drat, good on both you and kitty. Hope he keeps at it.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Here's a bunch of pics:

Yeah, he has definitely put on on some weight. Thing is, he was supposed to be dead over a year ago. He's still taking heart meds which don't help and he also never stops crying for more. At his most recent check the vet encouraged us to just keep doing what we're doing. So that's what we're doing!

That last one is Butter's displaying his undying interest in his pregnant mom's belly. Butters is getting a new little baby to sneak him food.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

I think this one will always be Butterscotch to me. :kiddo:

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Congrats Chili, on baby no2 and cat baby no1! He looks super buttery

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Chili posted:

Here's a bunch of pics:

Thank you. Butters continues to the best cat ever.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

:swoon:

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

I had a bit of a rough day but I'm OK now.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Oh right and have a butterslug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Good King Butters