Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Mendrian posted:

Sure I've played a bit of it:

* The best way to heal trauma damage is not to get any. Trauma damage compounds when leaving your healthbar unhealed, so don't wait until you get a down before using a bandage or pills. USE YOUR HEALING STUFF. The only way besides wall kits are certain cards (I think there are two?) that remove a very small amount (10?)

* On the subject of healing: Pills are basically the best healing item and doubly so if you're specced at all into support. They're quick to deploy, temp health runs over trauma, and if people are taking that much damage they're probably just going to take it again anyway. You can also deploy them on other people which, coming from L4D where you have to hand them to other people first, was a surprise. This is also a great way to prevent more trauma.

* I see way too many people getting owned by chip damage from basic infected. Keep your head on a swivel and don't rely on your team to clear enemies off of you unless you're in a stack. Only trust your fists, pubs will never help you.

* As far as keeping trash off of you, a lot of the L4D strategies apply here. Keep your back to a wall, don't stand out in the open, if you must stand out in the open, keep an eye out for incoming zombies and advance slowly, checking your back and sides whenever possible. If you do get a Zed in your face, punch him twice; just hold the button down like a second longer than normal. This usually hits any secondary zeds you didn't see when you first started waving your hands around.

* Pipe bombs are great and your friend. Frags can pretty easily chunk specials though, and are very useful for that. If you can coordinate try to get a mix of the two.

* I seem to get more supply points on the first full map completion I get on Quickplay. If you don't have any dedicated role decks yet start by doing this to get some good cards.

* While we're on the subject, I can't stress enough how much easier some of the middle-late tier cards make the game, they completely alter gameplay. If you're hitting a wall you probably don't have a decent set of cards.

* Stun guns are much better than they appear and are a great way to prevent a wipe.

* Never just go toe to toe with tallboys of either variety, it's just a death sentence. Like on Survivor you probably can and I'm sure everyone has a clutch story of doing so but for the most part if you're in a tiny shack and you see two or more of these guys on top of you, you need help. So don't get yourself into that situation because you can't just hose your way out of that.

* Melee is good but you need several cards for it. Thankfully some of the decent ones are starter cards. I got through the first curve of my cards by melee-vampire-ing my way to victory. The fire ax is probably the best melee weapon for new players; melee has surprisingly little stagger so if you don't kill you're going to take more chip damage. Ax delivers a chop straight to the head and on easy will kill more or less instantly. Just watch your stamina. Or play Holly.

* Somebody should have a tool kit. Stashes aren't always worth it but they often are and usually at least pay for themselves.

* The card pool is not random and I believe appears in the order you have listed in your deck. You can change the order by dragging cards up or down the list. At the very least, the first five cards are assured, but I think it might be the whole deck.

In general much like L4D you don't want to heal your way to victory, if you find yourself running out of health constantly you need to adjust your play. I've seen players on Survivor getting a full bar of Trauma (which I think is max health reduced to 45?) and it's going to cost you a lot of money to get out of that hole.

Great tips, thanks.

Regarding the last level being a "wet fart", yeah I've only done it on Survivor but it seems like it can be a much faster than the ferry; we loaded and fired asap and go through it under the cover of pipe bombs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Jack B Nimble posted:

Great tips, thanks.

Regarding the last level being a "wet fart", yeah I've only done it on Survivor but it seems like it can be a much faster than the ferry; we loaded and fired asap and go through it under the cover of pipe bombs.

Having done it on both with Mendrian, it’s definitely faster than the ferry on Survivor, probably since there aren’t really any choke points. On normal it’s brutal but doable.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
on Vet when we did it with 2 fairly-bad pubbies we put down razor wire around the sides of the cannon; grabbed all the shells first and stockpiled them by the gun before we fired the first shot; everyone usually sat in the truck bed behind the cannon and covering a guy whose unloading and reloading; and then pop in the MG turret for the Ogre spawn (which doesnt seem to hit the person on the turret? lol)

again though, it did help that most Special spawns that time were boomers, bile boomers, and crushers. only had 1 or 2 bruisers compared to about 15 crushers

ive also played it where it spawned about 15 bruisers+0 crushers instead and that was wipe city.

the overwhelming difficulty in this game is "did it decide to spawn back to back multiple-bruisers in a hosed up hallway or event?" "yes -> wipe" "n -> win"

Xaris fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Aug 15, 2021

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
We had enough money to chuck down a bunch of pipe bombs so we dumped them down the slope, then set up. Hordes were just always looking at a pipe bomb, the ogre got murdered by the minigun and specials just got fragged immediately.

This is on vet, its basically a breeze when you know what you're doing.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

dogstile posted:

This is on vet, its basically a breeze when you know what you're doing.
So it has therefore been established that this game has been balanced over some proscribed meta that the devs had in their heads while designing it rather than having some semblance of reactivity based upon following design guidelines that have been established by the preceding campaign.

Appreciate your service. Refunding the game now.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 15, 2021

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
How's this game?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

skaianDestiny posted:

How's this game?

It's fine.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The easiest difficulty is too easy. The next highest difficulty is too high a jump to be fun for me. The core concept is fine enough I think; it just feels like it needs some more time in the oven.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Yeah if the game wants to be a hardcore tactical shooter that'd be fine, but that's not really what I'm looking for in a game like this. Just wanna chill out and shoot guns and kill zombos, if I was looking to entry the sweaty FPS zone I'd play Tarkov or something

but, also, I don't think the game is actually trying to be a hardcore tactical shooter and is mostly this was on accident

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Why did world war z flop anyways? I forgot to grab it when it was free on epic and never tried it out

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
As far as I can tell, B4B tries to emulate how L4D punished bad play, but much more harshly. It doesn't want you scouting every corner in a way that hurts momentum, nor running ahead to leave straggling zombies and teammates behind you. It doesn't want that style of play from L4D where people over-relied on or using melee, not firing more than a few rounds per map. I beat the ferry level while playing solo, but can't even get through it on the easiest difficulty with real players because one is off searching every corner hoping to find the BFG 9000, while another player is trying to conserve ammo by only using his melee weapon, while another is doing a speed run a mile ahead with all four of us separated by swarms of enemies. Then I found a group of chill pubbies and we started acing every mission we came across because we were all moving and shooting together.

I think the game's fine, it just needs to decide how intense it wants to be, and then actually communicate that goal to the players.

Most of my other problems come in the form of niggling design issues like how long it takes to join a match and pick cards. It's loving interminable waiting for pubs to take like five minutes in the safe house at the start of every mission figuring this out.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Why did world war z flop anyways? I forgot to grab it when it was free on epic and never tried it out

It didn't really flop. It had a relatively active playerbase even a few months ago. It didn't have a ton of marketing and it could have done better on PC if it was actually on Steam.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Vet is much more manageable with cards, I can't stress that enough, and playing solo is basically not an option, so you're going to feel even shittier at the game with bots than you do with pubbies if that's possible. I think they could stand to make Veteran less challenging or at least train the director to stop kicking you when you're down so much, that seems like a major issue with the game's AI.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mendrian posted:

Vet is much more manageable with cards, I can't stress that enough, and playing solo is basically not an option, so you're going to feel even shittier at the game with bots than you do with pubbies if that's possible. I think they could stand to make Veteran less challenging or at least train the director to stop kicking you when you're down so much, that seems like a major issue with the game's AI.
Vet would be fine without Bruisers honestly. It doesn't make sense for both Crushers and Bruisers to exist and is absolutely stupid. If Bruiser hits you it's pretty much a 1-shot to a down-state; if a crusher-hits you it's going to ake some damage and may even very well enmd up getting you to a down-state as well, but it takes it out of commission and the team can kill it fairly quick once it's grabbing. They both serve the same purpose of bullet-sponge to deplete the survivors ammo.

Coolguye posted:

So it has therefore been established that this game has been balanced over some proscribed meta that the devs had in their heads while designing it rather than having some semblance of reactivity based upon following design guidelines that have been established by the preceding campaign.

Appreciate your service. Refunding the game now.
good move honestly because it's true, there's is already shaping up to be a prescribed dev-conceived meta and not based around reactivity.

there's always the $1/mo Xbox Game Pass promo on throwaway gmx.com accounts if you want to try it again at launch for cheap. $60 on Steam for ssomething that may very well be fairly dead in a few months is steep. $40 would have been a better price-point as a basegame and if they wanted to throw in the typical WarnerBros Evolve DLC bonanza later they could (and are).

Xaris fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Aug 15, 2021

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Back 4 Blood - I didn't think it was possible to get too much attention!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

first impressions: Not great! but the bugs are really good and that counts for a lot

https://i.imgur.com/KKBSjET.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/6kFXM8u.mp4

his character would do this infinitely complete with sound effects anytime he had the weapon out for that entire segment, which is also visible here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkoGlzVgmII

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

My l4d/vermintide/wwz group thought it was okay. We were short a player. On the church map our bot stayed manning the turret in the previous section. After finishing the level it wouldn't end so we went back and shot him to half health then he stopped taking friendly fire damage. Thankfully another player loaded in. He proceeded to charge into every trap and clump of birds on the next map but at least we finished.

Then on the final map we killed exactly one zombie while firing the gun. Definitely broken.

We'll grab it when the sale price hits $30, after its been patched up a bit.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Went into the church personally carrying four pipes and we still wiped because the game hit us with simultaneous armored bruisers at once from every direction. gently caress this game's sorry excuse for a difficulty curve.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I tried nightmare with some friends last night. Most of us have all of the cards. So yeah, not only do zombies of all types have more health and do more damage, you will most likely get a card that either makes zombies explode or drop a pool of acid when they’re killed. So melee can basically be ruled out entirely. If you get downed, and you will, you’re going to bleed out fast because you either get stomped by zombies yelling the N-word or you shoot them and the acid gets on you so you bleed out even faster. The acid pools last for quite a while, so have fun not being able to progress for at least 10 seconds every time you kill a zombie.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

VulgarandStupid posted:

You either get stomped by zombies yelling the N-word…

What?

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
What. The gently caress.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Aug 15, 2021

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
You never see, “oops, when these two audio files play over each other, it accidentally sounds like “cheesecake’!” It’s always a racial slur, somehow.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
coming up with meta builds scratches that autistic part of my brain

the fact that accuracy is a thing is hella dumb when you can ads, so just stack stamina and sprint speed

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Ok so don't get knocked down on the stairs while carrying one of the bombs on the boat. It makes the bomb unable to be picked up again, so you have to start the level over.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
There's a reproducable bug where you can build a deck with locked cards and activate them by using the 'take a break' feature and immediately resuming play.

A side effect of the game essentially ignoring your first (locked) pick at loadout is it goes with whatever card you had lined up next.

You can often get 2 cards activated at the start by doing this.

Roberto_Silencio
Mar 9, 2004

lets start advertising and make us some real money

BlackIronHeart posted:

I've noticed a lot of people playing this who have clearly never played L4D before so I think it's a bit of idiocy and a bit of unfamiliarity. The characters even shout 'We can't possibly win this, loving run!' before the bridge.

I hit the part where you have to lift the car out of the way and then run down the alleyway, pushing forward through the zombies until you get to the end and the team I was with kept insisting that we had to hunker down and take them all down, even though there's a sign right there that says something like "START RUNNING" with a big arrow pointing up the alleyway.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Maybe the game needs two modes rather than difficulty settings. Arcade and Tactical.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
This game has so many small, half-baked things that makes me wonder if it's really ready for release. Like zombies just falling over when killed by a pipebomb, or the spitter special zombies just doing the ground kill animation when killed in the air or on a wall. Think I'll be watching this from afar.

Also, small thing, but that this deck:

doesn't actually have anything melee-related kinda annoyed me when I unlocked it.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The church safe house is insane on veteran. Beset on all sides, tiny room, and constantly spawning specials. Not to mention that zombies can destroy your progress on the objective. Absolutely nuts.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

SettingSun posted:

The church safe house is insane on veteran. Beset on all sides, tiny room, and constantly spawning specials. Not to mention that zombies can destroy your progress on the objective. Absolutely nuts.

A couple of pipe bombs make that part significantly easier.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

SettingSun posted:

When my group did it they just threw a pipe bomb inside and had the windows boarded up and the mission done before I even realized what was going on, whole thing was done in under a minute.

If they can destroy your progress then it really just comes down to knowing what to do and doing it fast enough that you don't get into a failure state of being overwhelmed and losing allies you can't get up again.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Let me put this another way. On Veteran I have never finished that safe house. I and my friends know what's coming. We have pipe bombs. We attempt to focus singular windows. If you are downed holding the boards you can't fire your sidearm. That's probably a bug but still. When two crushers, an exploder, and a hocker raid the place within seconds of each other, I don't know that the game intends for us to do except to accept our fate.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

You can run back and grab the mini gun from the tow truck and semi truck area

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys
I was unimpressed with this game when I first booted it up for an hour or so, playing with randos. Then I played with my usual group and we've had a blast. I agree with a decent amount of the critique, mostly that a lot of the charm is missing and the difficulty is whack, the bots suck. Still we got into it and had a ton of fun.

All the same I am poor and won't be dropping 60 bones on it.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.
Special spawns are so dumb in this game. I just had three chargers and three boomers come after me in the finale. Is there a way to turn off crossplay? Some of these people are taking like 3 minutes to load in every single map and it's unbearable.

E: To clarify, that was 6 all at once, not over the course of the event.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

SettingSun posted:

Let me put this another way. On Veteran I have never finished that safe house. I and my friends know what's coming. We have pipe bombs. We attempt to focus singular windows. If you are downed holding the boards you can't fire your sidearm. That's probably a bug but still. When two crushers, an exploder, and a hocker raid the place within seconds of each other, I don't know that the game intends for us to do except to accept our fate.

Don't force singular windows, do one each. That, one pipe bomb and a single frag will solve all your problems

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

SettingSun posted:

Gotta be honest, this is the easiest poo poo. The only time I have lost here is if the entire squad is like at 40hp with no pipe bombs / firecrackers. If you fight the swarm you lose, if you put up a single board on each window and close the door you win.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I will probably play this (It's on gamepass on PC) because I love this genre but its hard to not have high expectations and be nitpicky.

RBX fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 15, 2021

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

I've now finished the game on Veteran with 3 friends. As always having some competent people on voice chat makes the game pretty easy. The ending where you are loading the gun seems bugged as I've done that twice now and never had to fight a zombie whilst doing it.

It scratches the itch for me but it does feel like it's lacking in depth and soul as others have talked about. I don't think it got any more complicated or harder in the entire level outside of 1 or 2 moments. Maybe the corruption cards do start to really stack up but you can still solve most problems with pipe bombs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I have a zillion hours logged in L4D and finally got to play this after a weekend of matchmaking taking a poo poo on my PC, here are my pissbitch thoughts:

The bots: In L4D2 I could still have shitloads of fun in single player because the bots were halfway confident, crackshots, and always healed or revived me. The bots in this game or loving drooling nitwits who will sashay back and forth between reviving you or not, jitter around, and hardly have the grit of the L4D bots. They're loving useless.

The difficulty: It's all over the drat place. Seems the only lines of difficulty are either Really Easy, Very Annoying, or Hardcore. On the "normal" (veteran) difficulty I found that survivors keel over like they're made of paper. It felt jarring just how little punishment you can take, even versus like one or two zombies. Just really kind of baffling how there are less zombies in areas yet you get hit by something a few times and you're at 26 hp.

Zombies: Somehow these are worse than in L4D??? There are less of them, they don't feel as ravenous, and yet somehow on Veteran difficulty they can just deplete your life so loving fast, idgi. The special zombies suck, I think we kept getting those exploder zombies every 60 seconds and I saw maybe one other special zombie Stinger thing in one game; that was it. I don't think the characters even call them out often or give them names; they have no musical stingers, either. They barely gib or explode into meaty bits and pieces---how the hell is such an older Source game better at zombies falling apart than this one?? By the way, that Ogre thing sucks rear end and is not fun to fight at all. Does so much bullshit damage and unlike the Tank in L4D, felt like it was really janky to avoid with its huge hitbox.

Aesthetics: There are zero musical stings for anything and that blows. Nothing for special zombies or mood or atmosphere. The characters are relatively boring and charmless besides like, Mom. One of them is a borderline Qanon prepper dork and I loving hate him, as do all the other characters lol.

Levels: The first level was SO short I thought it had to be a joke? Yet it still felt arduous at times because some teammates got gibbed so fast. I couldn't even tell you anything about level 2, it was a formless ruined underpassage with no real verticality or interesting pieces to it. I was used to some kind of final setpiece or encounter/swarm like in L4D before the safe room but in the second level, you just walk into the house and that's it, nothing happens. The only "setpiece" was when an Ogre just instaspawned(!?) at the start of the level causing us to almost wipe immediately, and then again at 3/4 of the level.

Card system: there is loving ingame currency in this game. I'm trying to scrounge up ammo and battle zombies and you want me to collect loving copper for mid-episodic upgrades which are unneccesary i.e. you can just find this poo poo in the level in L4D. Most of the card poo poo is just Number Go Up "reload faster" things and everything else regarding the horde could just be part of the ingame Director, if they have an equivalant (I saw a video example of a Director decision where it was like, "oh in this level, there was no Stinger but in THIS instance there was!" LOL)

My final thoughts are thusly: thank god this is a Gamepass release, and this game is absolutely going to have a userbase that tanks after a month. I was wary about anything the EVOLVE people were releasing but jesus christ, they're just kind of bad at this and I have to assume L4D was helped greatly by Valve/people who have long since left the Turtle Rock team. This is a mess of a game filled with poo poo that needs tweaking + poo poo that realllllly wasn't needed at all.