Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

gay_crimes posted:

short of actual contact tracing, anyone willing to ballpark an estimate on how many deaths result from that billy Joel concert? what’s the chain of death

Is this like one of those big brain job interview questions like “how many windows in NYC” or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

McNugget Buddy posted:

Billy Joel concert in Buffalo right now:

you and I faaaaace-to-faaaace

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thankfully he's only doing one show a month:

https://www.billyjoel.com/tour/

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

anthony works in the grocery store
cracking and pinging cus Delta

mama Leone left a note on the door
she said
"we're flying out to trump country"

oh, he's working too hard to get the third vax-ax-ax-ax-ax-ax-ax

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

gay_crimes posted:

short of actual contact tracing, anyone willing to ballpark an estimate on how many deaths result from that billy Joel concert? what’s the chain of death

Hundreds would die, but not the thing they died for (billy joel)

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
There were some anti vax protesters at a Minneapolis hospital a friend works at that is mandating vaccines. They posted this picture:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

fosborb posted:

wow the last 4 weeks of flu surveillance have been the worst year over year in the last seven years?

eh, just the flu bro

people got vaxxed and just started licking each others hands and mouths and phones i guess forgetting that non covid ailments exist

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Steve Yun posted:

I’m reading that a single virion is not going to infect you, and you need a whole bunch of them to reach a critical mass to get an infection, is that correct? And this critical mass is called a Plaque Forming Unit?

And in COVID’s case it needs 100,000 virions to start an infection? Is that all correct so far?

Would that explain why you can wear an KF94 or N95, and even if it it doesn’t block 100% of virions, it keeps you safe? Because it’s blocking enough to prevent a plaque forming unit?

I'm not an expert, but my impression is that this is not accurate. I think that when a virus enters your body, it's a game of Russian Roulette to see if your immune system can destroy it before it burrows into a cell and starts replicating. Higher exposure increases the risk that the virus succeeds, but if you're unlucky, it's possible to be infected by a tiny amount of coronavirus. Wearing a KN95 reduces the numbers of times you have to play Russian Roulette, so it reduces the chance that you get sick.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Real hurthling! posted:

people got vaxxed and just started licking each others hands and mouths and phones i guess forgetting that non covid ailments exist

thank god for these miracle vaccines, I can finally do a rail with friends

*licks an entire banister at grand central*

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

McNugget Buddy posted:

Billy Joel concert in Buffalo right now:

Killy Joel

edit:
for real tho he is a murderer, and so is anyone who holds a large public event like this

edit2:

Real Mean Queen posted:

So am I within my rights to think of Billy Joel as a mass murderer now?

If you're wrong, then so am I

Random Asshole has issued a correction as of 06:27 on Aug 15, 2021

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
been reading back a little bit to see what i missed and i'm glad i did. every time i see Covid Tree, i smile. it's such a perfect encapsulation of this stupid loving shitstorm

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Blaziken386 posted:

been reading back a little bit to see what i missed and i'm glad i did. every time i see Covid Tree, i smile. it's such a perfect encapsulation of this stupid loving shitstorm

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

nomad2020 posted:

The mask one looks like a hotdog.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

If you're wrong, then so am I

You may be wrong, but you may be right

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Stereotype posted:

i am fully expecting for there to be days where 50k people in the usa die of covid. i think a lot of people are not expecting that for some reason, despite that being the clear consequence of continuing to do nothing.

This is where I'm at as well. :(

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

https://twitter.com/GameSpot/status/1424792644690010113?s=20

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Stereotype posted:

i am fully expecting for there to be days where 50k people in the usa die of covid. i think a lot of people are not expecting that for some reason, despite that being the clear consequence of continuing to do nothing.

Winter is where it was the worst last year and that's just a few months away.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

D'awwww.... reminds me of my cat who was extremely excited that I was cleaning up my room today

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DesertIslandHermit posted:

We're going to go straight from Delta Wave into another Thanksgiving/Christmas wave

6 months of hell

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
lol South Dakota moved back to daily updates due to a sudden increase in cases

:thunk:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Sgt. Mask-up

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

quote:

It's also transparent, designed to let the wearer still show facial expressions. The function of the internal lighting is actually to let the wearer show their face even when it's dark.

Gross

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Crazyweasel posted:

gaming
succdem
doomsday Econ
tromp
UFO
cool zone
covid
climate change

*ping*

rinse, repeat

no epstein?

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

:lol: love to beta test my only defense in the middle of a pandemic

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

DesertIslandHermit posted:

last year's fall wave stayed in the South. it was big, but really just huge in a few states

I'm flipping through states right now, and just about every state has an average daily case volume at least 10x higher than a month ago

it's insane

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Bar Ran Dun posted:

So I noticed something in the King county data.

if one looks at hospitalizations at the county level... it’s rising alarmingly. the news and anecdotes here reflect this. but if you dig into the by the city numbers they look like this (this is Redmond):

obvious increase in positives

no changes in hospitalizations

something is weird cause most areas you look at show this pattern, except Seattle proper and Seattle isn’t enough why the county as a whole is rising abruptly in hospitalizations.

Does Redmond have any hospitals? There was a big one across from MS campus 10 years ago but it shutdown and was demolished. Might just be an artifact of no big hospitals perhaps. Kirkland Evergreen hospital or Bellevue's hospitals are probably where Redmond folks would go.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

So it's just over two weeks from Lollapalooza and the maps aren't exploding. Sup with that?

Gabagool
Jul 20, 2020

Homocow posted:

I wonder what an average american thinks "generally healthy" means
if this pandemic has taught me anything they think it means "not hospitalized"

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

UnknownTarget posted:

So it's just over two weeks from Lollapalooza and the maps aren't exploding. Sup with that?

Their faith in The Science was rewarded

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Gabagool posted:

if this pandemic has taught me anything they think it means "not hospitalized"

I think that's mild American

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

mod sassinator posted:

Does Redmond have any hospitals? There was a big one across from MS campus 10 years ago but it shutdown and was demolished. Might just be an artifact of no big hospitals perhaps. Kirkland Evergreen hospital or Bellevue's hospitals are probably where Redmond folks would go.

They do have a hospital but I also suspect Bellevue would get most of their traffic (not specifically for Covid.)

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

So I noticed something in the King county data.

if one looks at hospitalizations at the county level... it’s rising alarmingly. the news and anecdotes here reflect this. but if you dig into the by the city numbers they look like this (this is Redmond):

obvious increase in positives

no changes in hospitalizations

something is weird cause most areas you look at show this pattern, except Seattle proper and Seattle isn’t enough why the county as a whole is rising abruptly in hospitalizations.

It's most likely a data artifact, would be my guess. They may report a hospital admission without reporting the patient details like zip and then backfill the data later. Remember that there's a whole chain of reporting backing these dashboards and the update cadences have gotten a bit hosed up what with covid being over and all.

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

They do have a hospital but I also suspect Bellevue would get most of their traffic (not specifically for Covid.)

Bar Ran Dun answered this earlier but the zip/city here is patient's residence, not hospital.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

UnknownTarget posted:

They are exploding, it's just that everywhere is holding their own lollapaloozas, so it's just an ever cresting mass trauma event.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

The other thing to note in the King County Hospitalization data is that Seattle, Bellevue, and Redmond all have relatively low hospitalization rates throughout the entire pandemic compared to Southern King County, so it’s not a huge shock that even now with the delta spike the hospitalization spike is once again mostly in Southern King County.

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

Nocturtle posted:

Where did you get the Xiamen antibody test? Is it something anyone can buy?

I bought a box of them very sketchily from China in April 2020 lmao

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

The other thing to note in the King County Hospitalization data is that Seattle, Bellevue, and Redmond all have relatively low hospitalization rates throughout the entire pandemic compared to Southern King County, so it’s not a huge shock that even now with the delta spike the hospitalization spike is once again mostly in Southern King County.

This is probably a better take than mine tbh since it's based on something. Also this:

That combined racial and economic disparity that hosed South King last time is going to be a lot worse this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Forseti posted:

:lol: love to beta test my only defense in the middle of a pandemic

And it's only N95. lmao at rubes shelling out premium prices for fancy surgical masks