Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Grand Gigas posted:

https://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-6080

A really promising young writer just released like his giant passion project. I think he’s been tooling around with it for like a year. It’s called Cartoon Box.

Edit: actually I think it’s called Cartoon Network and it’s about Eric’s Cartoon Box.

The writer of this SCP is very good at writing gripping and atmospheric environments. I was able to conceptualize the locations and action very well throughout most of it, even when it became very abstract.

The story really lost me starting with the last rerun event. I just don’t get it. I was expecting it all to tie back into 6080’s experiences of abuse and abandonment, and I suspect that’s what the author was going for, but I completely lost track of the story at that point. Specifically, the final action sequence was where the action went from being easy to follow to almost impossible, and from that point forward, all the dialogue is incredibly vauge in a way that is clearly intentional, but fails to deliver whatever emotion the author was hoping for when they made that choice, unless they were hoping for frustration. I dunno, maybe I’m just dumb.

That being said I’d say it’s still a recommended read. The author did a really incredible job of describing the rerun events throughout the entire article until the point I mentioned earlier, and the steady descent into more and more abstract and dangerous scenarios is made all the more engaging by their incredible skill in describing those scenarios.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

True heroes always show up late.
Yeah they definitely understand it being hard to follow. He’s actually gonna make a supplementary YouTube video which is adorable to me.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Oh, that’s awesome. I did see in the discussion page that he’s working on an illustration of the final action sequence for those having trouble picturing it, which should be handy.

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

This has been almost all he’s spoken about for the better part of a year. I’m just so happy for him that he’s finished his first like really big work.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I don't know, after the third or so cartoon turned grimdark I ended up closing it out.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
I read through the whole thing and still have no idea what the hell it is; there’s definitely effort and talent put in, but it’s overwritten and needs an editor.

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

I think he’ll get better at self editing the more he writes.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I'm many pages behind where the thread is right now, and making my way through all of it, but I really wanted to say this is incredible, I'm really enjoying it, and there's not really another place on the internet I frequent where I might have stumbled over it like this. Thanks for posting it!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
https://twitter.com/Cody_Wimmer/status/1424187414537461760

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Black August posted:

Yeah. I had more of an idea where it's not the Foundation causing anomalies, but rather their methods and structure of dealing with them slowly building a global situation of paranormal instability. A climate change style problem where it's already too late, but they have to stop anyways and figure out a paradigm shift on top of surviving the new paranormal they helped contribute to.

SCP 6001 explores this where a parallel universe’s version of the Foundation has instead joined with all the other major players in the lore into an organization called the Compendium and rather than trying to contain anomalies, embraces them and finds way they can fulfill their purpose and help people if possible.

Edit: it also has a really sweet ending. I’d recommend giving it a read.

Nitrousoxide has a new favorite as of 02:44 on Aug 10, 2021

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Thanks for that. It's a good entry and a great idea, though I found I didn't care for some of the tone and style. Still appreciated what it was going for.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
https://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/erics-mega-zine-vol-50-the-cutout-room

it's basically the prequel to the cartoon box. It may or may not help you understand it.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

A word from the author, from the discussion page:

quote:

This also marks the start of my canon, But A Dream, which is a canon about imagination, belief, and thought being the source of anomalies, both in the universe and outside of it. Each one of my articles, as well as a few others, exist within this canon.

For context, the Eric writing this zine is a young adult, and he is also above the Dreamverse (My SCP Universe). He is unknowingly adding to it whilst he writes in his zine about it. Does this mean Eric is the sole reason the universe exists? No. But he is a large contributing factor in what happens in it. Things don't happen 100% how he writes them, of course.

Good context. Also, this person wrote that micheal the killer story, which is in this same universe. I recall liking that one, assuming I’m not mixing it up with something else.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
https://mobile.twitter.com/yourwightknight/status/1415882541832171521

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is there some phenomenon (other than actual fairies) that makes them grow like that because I've run into a couple in the woods too.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Is there some phenomenon (other than actual fairies) that makes them grow like that because I've run into a couple in the woods too.

As far as I understand, fairy rings start out as more like a solid circle as it grows outward. As it leeches nutrients from the soil, the center bits die and wither off, leaving the outer edge.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ah yeah that makes sense. Presumably under the slide is more sheltered so they start off there too.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Interestingly, this phenomenon is called 'heksenkring' in Dutch ('witches' circle'), which sounds a good deal more ominous.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Interestingly, this phenomenon is called 'heksenkring' in Dutch ('witches' circle'), which sounds a good deal more ominous.
Hahahahaha you think fairies aren't ominous hahaha sorry hahahaha a fae thought I was laughing at her hahahaha so she bade me laugh myself to death hahaha I told her I was laughing at a joke hahahahaha and told her the joke hahaha she laughed as well hahahahaha so she bade me live hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahakillmehahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Can't it also happen when they grow around tree stumps, and then the stumps get pulled out or rot away, but the mushrooms can keep growing out from there anyways?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

IIRC they usually start from a corpse (be it plant or animal) at the center of the circle

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wonder if it because mushrooms are all one organism, so there is a carpet of mycelium under the ground that gets bigger and the fruiting bodies represent the extent of the single fungus.

E: according to wikipedia yes, and also yes they sometimes grow outwards from trees too.

Fungus is great.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 23:21 on Aug 13, 2021

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I know you meant 'those mushrooms in the circle are one organism", but the phrasing made it sound like "all mushrooms everywhere are one organism".

Which would actually make a great SCP, thinking about it. Especially if they didn't lose their connection just because you'd eaten them.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

girl dick energy posted:

I know you meant 'those mushrooms in the circle are one organism", but the phrasing made it sound like "all mushrooms everywhere are one organism".

Which would actually make a great SCP, thinking about it. Especially if they didn't lose their connection just because you'd eaten them.

i mean

https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/606952-largest-living-organism

quote:

The largest living organism is a single gigantic specimen of honey mushroom (Armillaria ostoyae), discovered in the Malheur National Forest, Oregon, USA, which occupies a total area of 965 hectares (2,385 acres), equivalent to 1,350 soccer fields. The honey mushroom is well known for its glowing surface, caused by bioluminescent bacteria, although most of its tissue is around 1 metre (3 feet) underground, in the form of root-like mycelia. Its age is calculated to be at least 2,400 years old, but may be as much as 8,650 years old.

It also holds the record for the world's largest fungus.

The honey mushroom is estimated to weigh somewhere between 7,500 and 35,000 US tons (6,800–31,750 tonnes).

By contrast, the Great Barrier Reef (actually a series of 2,100 interconnected reefs) off Australia is considered the largest living structure; it has been formed over some 20 million years by the skeletal remains of billions of tiny marine organisms known as coral polyps.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yes, that's exactly why it'd make a great skip. It's just a short leap of logic from there.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

girl dick energy posted:

Yes, that's exactly why it'd make a great skip. It's just a short leap of logic from there.

You could probably have some fun with the Foundation trying to figure out if its an anomaly they should contain somehow, or a (relatively) ordinary discovery they should publish.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Quantum hyphae.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
isnt that the plot to star trek discovery

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

What’s the worst highly voted article, and you can’t say the rape one

It’s definitely catgirls and it’s not even close. +461 lmao

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
the rape "one"

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Monicro posted:

the rape "one"

are there others?? gross. the one I was talking about was the seven brides garbage.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The rape reef one is pretty gross too.

The wiki suffers from the general fiction trend of using sexual assault as a cheap source of emotional weight and drama.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

The wiki suffers from the general fiction trend of using sexual assault as a cheap source of emotional weight and drama.

i mean that one went above and beyond in its attempts to be gross, plenty of bodily fluids and at least 18 fetishes. It was novel at the time I think? It looks so bad now with the overall average increase in writing quality.

a fatguy baldspot posted:

What’s the worst highly voted article, and you can’t say the rape one

It’s definitely catgirls and it’s not even close. +461 lmao

I dunno i find that one harmless if its intention was absurdity. If the world of SCP contains absurdities as part of the setting then why can't it have catgirls? Why can't there be pointless dumb fun anomalies?

If it wasn't supposed to be absurd then yeah, I don't know how to handle that. Whatever the case its not my cup of tea but I don't mind it. It's just there along with the 70% of scp's which I don't connect with.

Regarde Aduck has a new favorite as of 02:46 on Aug 15, 2021

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Regarde Aduck posted:

I dunno i find that one harmless if its intention was absurdity. If the world of SCP contains absurdities as part of the setting then why can't it have catgirls? Why can't there be pointless dumb fun anomalies?

If it wasn't supposed to be absurd then yeah, I don't know how to handle that. Whatever the case its not my cup of tea but I don't mind it. It's just there along with the 70% of scp's which I don't connect with.
Nah, that one’s definitely there as someone’s awesome fetish waifu, or at least that’s how it spent most of its life cycle. Apparently there was a recent revision, but I have no urge to reread jerk material to see if it got any better. :shrug:

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Regarde Aduck posted:

There can, but I can also make fun of how dumb they are, if they’re dumb

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Grand Gigas posted:

https://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-6080

A really promising young writer just released like his giant passion project. I think he’s been tooling around with it for like a year. It’s called Cartoon Box.

Edit: actually I think it’s called Cartoon Network and it’s about Eric’s Cartoon Box.

I liked this a lot. It has some scuffs and blemishes, but the overall read was great. Event 6 is my favorite type of [expand here to read exploration log] thing. The article before that point lays the groundwork, giving you several glimpses into the Other Place from various viewpoints. Then you get to go in real deep. I lost track of time and got totally engrossed reading the Event 6 exploration log.

The fight at the end is not the kind of thing I read SCP articles for. It fit with the rest of the article and smoothly kept the vibe from the long exploration log, but I didn't care for it. Someone else out there probably enjoyed that part more than the exploration log and I don't think it's bad. :shrug:

Also since the thread is having this discussion again, for the 1000th time, about

Monicro posted:

the rape "one"

OwlFancier posted:

This article has some of those same broad strokes, but it doesn't feel like pure shock value spoopiness. It is still very on-the-nose about it, but in a way that is more integral to the SCP itself. And it is dealt out with a much more tactful hand; not meant purely to impress/disgust the reader with how Evil the Evil Thing is.

I put this as another point in favor of the new article. What do you guys think? To me it feels like a legitimate and sympathetic use of the subject. It's not a censored woodchipper that emotions go into proving how Evil And hosed Up This Is. Is it still bad because it is what it is or did the author do a good thing with words???

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

A polished turd is still a turd. A well-written story that uses themes of sexual assault for drama is still rape-horror.

No one’s telling you that you can’t enjoy the skip, but don’t act like it’s unreasonable for people to have very strong feelings about the subgenre.

girl dick energy has a new favorite as of 05:42 on Aug 15, 2021

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

girl dick energy posted:

don’t act like it’s unreasonable for people to have very strong feelings about the subgenre.

That's exactly why I asked. Was wondering how others felt about it since several people replied to the link without mentioning it at all.

After reading the whole thing, I assumed there would be strong feelings but nobody even brought it up.

It's a central point of character development in that one. You can't miss it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

https://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-343

I hate this one so loving much.

Edit: it’s the one that’s “God.”