Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I think at the 12 month mark we're gonna buy a bunch of 18 month clothes. Short sleeve shirts seem to universally fit, we got these "hanes ultimate baby flexy" tshirts and they're a snap to put on. All pants seem to fit all babies, it's just a matter of how aggressively can you roll the cuffs and they'll stay rolled

Also, I think there's a dramatic roll off in growth of the volume of the baby's body starting around the 4-6 month mark, so buying up a size gets you significantly more bang for your buck, maybe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Hadlock posted:

Yeah I think at the 12 month mark we're gonna buy a bunch of 18 month clothes. Short sleeve shirts seem to universally fit, we got these "hanes ultimate baby flexy" tshirts and they're a snap to put on. All pants seem to fit all babies, it's just a matter of how aggressively can you roll the cuffs and they'll stay rolled

Also, I think there's a dramatic roll off in growth of the volume of the baby's body starting around the 4-6 month mark, so buying up a size gets you significantly more bang for your buck, maybe

Ours grew constantly til around 8 months and has plateaued a bit now. He's getting fatter not taller.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
We didn't get a good plateau until 2.5. We had to put our son in 3yr old clothes when he turned 2, they were a little baggy but his growth has slowed sufficiently that we're going to get a second summer out of them. I'm stoked.

Then I spent all the money potentially saved on new girlbaby clothes. Go me.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
twin four year old boys means that the constant Rumble Zone has started. Whatever, don’t hurt each other and stay out of the kitchen while we are cooking. My wife sent me this yesterday while I was on my way home from the INDYCAR race:

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Aug 15, 2021

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
We have a 2mo old who is 2 feet long, so it's a hunt for all the 0-3m clothes that are longer, not wider. I'm afraid we'll have to put him in baggy clothes until he stops growing like a weed.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

I always forget to use them, but snap in onesie extenders are pretty great when you want to delay changing out baby clothes.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I have a promising lead for any researcher looking to add a new sensory systems to the well known vision, touch, hearing, etc that is the "sense of impending parental intimacy". You can even transition into documenting the innate "climb all over both parents until they are touched out" response to stimuli.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I higjly recommend staggering your childbirth within your friend group so you can raid their kids' clothes for hand me downs.

Shifty Pony posted:

I have a promising lead for any researcher looking to add a new sensory systems to the well known vision, touch, hearing, etc that is the "sense of impending parental intimacy". You can even transition into documenting the innate "climb all over both parents until they are touched out" response to stimuli.

We had our first date night in almost two years and somehow our toddler chose that exact day to be a fussy little hobgoblin so this checks out.

*edit*

Like our 5yo will run up to my wife and i whenever we embrace and happily go "family hug!", clinging to both of us. Our 20 month old, meanwhile, will get upset and use his ogre toddler strength to push us apart.

citybeatnik fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Aug 15, 2021

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Our toddler has been choosing every day lately, impending parental intimacy or not. But there’s none of that lately because baby sleeps in our room, and to have intimacy we must put baby in her room to start the night and then bring her in when we are gonna go to sleep. She wakes up almost without fail each time we transfer her and gives us a challenge putting her back to sleep so now my wife refuses to put her in her room at night, ever.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Last night was awful. I took both kids on a walk through a nature preserve in the morning, then went to the beach in the afternoon, hoping that would knock out the toddler for the whole night.

Everyone was asleep by 9:30, and the baby didn’t wake up until 1:30, his longest stretch yet. Did I get to sleep for 4 hours?? Nope. Toddler woke up wide frikkin awake at 11pm, and was in my bed crawling and giggling and crying and talking and rolling and being up in my face non stop until 3am. Then she had to sleep right on top of me or else she was crying, and the baby started his usual 3am fussiness, so I had him on my chest and her on my arm and shoulder. Somehow I managed to sleep for about an hour…

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Koivunen posted:

Last night was awful. I took both kids on a walk through a nature preserve in the morning, then went to the beach in the afternoon, hoping that would knock out the toddler for the whole night.

Everyone was asleep by 9:30, and the baby didn’t wake up until 1:30, his longest stretch yet. Did I get to sleep for 4 hours?? Nope. Toddler woke up wide frikkin awake at 11pm, and was in my bed crawling and giggling and crying and talking and rolling and being up in my face non stop until 3am. Then she had to sleep right on top of me or else she was crying, and the baby started his usual 3am fussiness, so I had him on my chest and her on my arm and shoulder. Somehow I managed to sleep for about an hour…

You’ve probably done this but just in case, have you tried melatonin? It will help her fall asleep, not stay asleep, but it’s puzzling how she has the energy to be awake like that so often with so little sleep.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

life is killing me posted:

You’ve probably done this but just in case, have you tried melatonin? It will help her fall asleep, not stay asleep, but it’s puzzling how she has the energy to be awake like that so often with so little sleep.

Yep she gets melatonin almost every night. I don’t know where her energy comes from. I’ve had lifelong issues with insomnia so I really am hoping it’s not somehow passed down to her.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Little dude slept in by an hour this morning. Skipped morning nap. Now on a hair trigger and throwing tantrums every 3 minutes.

Extra sleep was not worth this.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Sleeping in is definitely a double edged sword when kids are on 2+ naps

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...

Tamarillo posted:

We didn't get a good plateau until 2.5. We had to put our son in 3yr old clothes when he turned 2, they were a little baggy but his growth has slowed sufficiently that we're going to get a second summer out of them. I'm stoked.

Then I spent all the money potentially saved on new girlbaby clothes. Go me.

Still waiting over here. Freshly 3 yo is 40 lbs/40.5", at the upper range of 4T. He'll probably be in 5 by the winter. I dread puberty.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

What's really going to get us is shoes. Our son is only a size six but he inherited my sasquatch feet.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Apparently, our daughter requires her poopin' room. We went away for the weekend and she did not poop at all. Within 5 minutes of being home she's gassing us out.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

2DEG posted:

Still waiting over here. Freshly 3 yo is 40 lbs/40.5", at the upper range of 4T. He'll probably be in 5 by the winter. I dread puberty.

Meanwhile our 3yo can still fit into some 18-24mo poo poo. I think the shorts he’s wearing right this second are actually 12-18mo

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
Grandparents took the toddler for the night, Baby and I are going to bed now and it’s not even 9pm. Goodnight parent goons, send good sleep vibes this way.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Koivunen posted:

Grandparents took the toddler for the night, Baby and I are going to bed now and it’s not even 9pm. Goodnight parent goons, send good sleep vibes this way.

Hope you wake up at 4AM in a minor panic about "oh poo poo there's no way the baby slept that long" only to realize the baby indeed did sleep that long.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
15mo has a runny nose and cough. No other symptoms whatsoever, and he's acting perfectly normal.

So both kids get to stay home today! Yay covid policies. Even though 4 year old has zero symptoms of anything at all ever.

Going to try to get him in for an RSV and Covid test today... hopefully we can get some negatives and bring him back to day care so we can actually get work done.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

DaveSauce posted:

15mo has a runny nose and cough. No other symptoms whatsoever, and he's acting perfectly normal.

So both kids get to stay home today! Yay covid policies. Even though 4 year old has zero symptoms of anything at all ever.

Going to try to get him in for an RSV and Covid test today... hopefully we can get some negatives and bring him back to day care so we can actually get work done.

Yeah, our 2-year-old came down with a cough and runny nose last Saturday or Sunday, then on Wednesday we got a note from daycare that the lady in his room had tested positive, so we all went Thursday morning to get tested. The 5-year-old was the only one who tested positive, so we had to cancel our trip for this week, but everyone's doing just fine (son's still got his cold, of course, but he seems to be sick about as much as he's not).

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Welp it's our daughter's first day of school. Which meant waking her up at six to make sure we got her ready in time - her mom and visiting grandparents are dropping her off. Then after a full day at work we get to take both her and the 20 month old to gymnastics.

I've been up for an hour and have already guzzled two cups of coffee. Pray for me.

calandryll posted:

Apparently, our daughter requires her poopin' room. We went away for the weekend and she did not poop at all. Within 5 minutes of being home she's gassing us out.

I think we've all been there.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
First day of school tomorrow!

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi
I'm losin' it again. My girl is just past 18 months and started daycare for the first time about a month and a half ago. Around the same time she finally dropped her middle-of-the-night wakeups/feeds and for awhile was doing well with 7:30 bedtime, 6:00-6:30 wakeup. But over the last few weeks she's just been consistently waking up between 4:30 and 5:15 am. Won't go back down for anything.. just screams. We've tried earlier bedtime, later bedtime, letting her cry it out, sleepwave/sleep training (checking in on her every 5-10 minutes), nightlight, no nightlight, and everything else we can think of. Nothing is working and I'm gonna lose my marbles soon.

Has anyone else had this happen... a just, all of a sudden, 4:45am wakeups, every day!! What do I doooooooo....

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
New teeth coming in maybe? Lots of molars around this time. My daughter is just a few months younger than yours.

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi
Yeah, she's definitely had a few new teeth coming in... she goes down fine, and naps fine though... just wakes up super early. I've started going to bed at 9:00pm just so I can handle the day if I'm up at 4:30..

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

hooah posted:

Yeah, our 2-year-old came down with a cough and runny nose last Saturday or Sunday, then on Wednesday we got a note from daycare that the lady in his room had tested positive, so we all went Thursday morning to get tested. The 5-year-old was the only one who tested positive, so we had to cancel our trip for this week, but everyone's doing just fine (son's still got his cold, of course, but he seems to be sick about as much as he's not).

lmao

When we talked to day care this morning, they said they had 2 confirmed cases of RSV in recent weeks, but those were in other rooms.

They just sent a note out to everyone a few minutes ago saying that they had a confirmed case in our 15mo's room.

Doctor appointment this afternoon... but given the circumstances, I'm pretty sure I know what the answer's going to be.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
I'm confused, I have a 2yo and 4yo who have been in daycare/preschool their whole lives but I've never heard the term "RSV" outside of this thread.

I've heard of "Hand, foot and mouth disease" going around, but other than Covid there hasn't ever been any specific viral boogeyman to worry about. If kids get a fever, they stay home a while, rarely does the doctor enter into it.

Is this RSV a new thing? Is it regional?

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Respiratory Syncytial Virus is RSV. Like HFM it seems to go in waves and is outbreak based. It really only affects olds and kids, so there is likely a community reservoir for the virus. Normally most common in winter but this past year the timing was all jacked up cause of COVID so there are large outbreaks across the country now. In a normal year it causes roughly 1/5 of all acute respiratory infection hospitalizations for kids under 5. Delta variant is gonna be worse though.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

truavatar posted:

Yeah, she's definitely had a few new teeth coming in... she goes down fine, and naps fine though... just wakes up super early. I've started going to bed at 9:00pm just so I can handle the day if I'm up at 4:30..

This is our household rhythm. Our 2 year old is asleep by 8:30, up at 5:30. It’s totally doable. The flip side is that she take 3 hour naps during the day. Just dehumanize yourself and face the morning.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

slave to my cravings posted:

Respiratory Syncytial Virus is RSV. Like HFM it seems to go in waves and is outbreak based. It really only affects olds and kids, so there is likely a community reservoir for the virus. Normally most common in winter but this past year the timing was all jacked up cause of COVID so there are large outbreaks across the country now. In a normal year it causes roughly 1/5 of all acute respiratory infection hospitalizations for kids under 5. Delta variant is gonna be worse though.

My understanding is that basically everyone gets RSV at some point in childhood, but for the vast majority it is asymptomatic or just another cold. Trouble is small percentages start to make very large absolute numbers when many people get it and as a result RSV causes a lot of hospitalizations in very young kids.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Shifty Pony posted:

My understanding is that basically everyone gets RSV at some point in childhood, but for the vast majority it is asymptomatic or just another cold. Trouble is small percentages start to make very large absolute numbers when many people get it and as a result RSV causes a lot of hospitalizations in very young kids.

Yeah, my son caught it at ~6 weeks and spent a week in the hospital, most of that time connected to oxygen. Not a great time. He's kinda been our sick boy ever since, but when he got RSV a month or so ago, it was basically a cold, so he's at least gotten somewhat better w.r.t. that virus!

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi

Dobbs_Head posted:

This is our household rhythm. Our 2 year old is asleep by 8:30, up at 5:30. It’s totally doable. The flip side is that she take 3 hour naps during the day. Just dehumanize yourself and face the morning.

Thanks, I hate it!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
RSV is opening for COVID this year. I think it's pretty safe to assume if your kids picked up RSV during this years' outbreak then Delta is going to get to them too.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Hey parenting thread, haven't been in ages.

Pretty sure I'm about to be made fun of. I have a just about 5 and a 2.5 year old. In both of their lives, minus infancy, neither has ever legit thrown up before. Well atleast until 10 minutes ago. the 2.5 year old was sitting on my lap, in a kinda awkward position, suddenly started wimpering and holding his belly.

I told him to get off, thinking he had to poo, and as soon as he stands, he belches and then throws up what looked like dinner and cantalope that was the afternoon snack. It was a lot of junk. He cried for a minute or two, but now seems to be fine for the last 10 minutes.

So what I'm asking, is throwing up a distinctive sign of being sick, or could it just have been a uncomfortable position and some belly gas that just upped the ante?

Feel free to mock me for having two kids over 5 years and never having to encounter this before!

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Hey parenting thread, haven't been in ages.

Pretty sure I'm about to be made fun of. I have a just about 5 and a 2.5 year old. In both of their lives, minus infancy, neither has ever legit thrown up before. Well atleast until 10 minutes ago. the 2.5 year old was sitting on my lap, in a kinda awkward position, suddenly started wimpering and holding his belly.

I told him to get off, thinking he had to poo, and as soon as he stands, he belches and then throws up what looked like dinner and cantalope that was the afternoon snack. It was a lot of junk. He cried for a minute or two, but now seems to be fine for the last 10 minutes.

So what I'm asking, is throwing up a distinctive sign of being sick, or could it just have been a uncomfortable position and some belly gas that just upped the ante?

Feel free to mock me for having two kids over 5 years and never having to encounter this before!

IANAD but no, throwing up isn’t always indicative of illness. Could have been something upsetting his tummy, mucous, anything. If he’s acting fine and has no fever, he’s probably fine. If he’s throwing up a ton and not acting like himself, that’s a different scenario.

ne: honestly when my kids throw up I check them for fever. Well, mostly the toddler because we usually know why the baby threw up

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
That sounds like a reaction to his food, I had a similar thing with my oldest after a birthday party where they had some extremely lovely pizza and cake.

The puke was blue as hell due to the dye in the frosting and it looked horrific.

Also he just told us “I don’t feel good” and then barfed on the floor directly in front of him while my wife and I panicked and tried to get anything underneath to at least catch some of this blue puke stream. He was also fine less than 15 minutes later.

Kids are pretty good at purging food that doesn’t agree with them! Definitely nothing that weird sounding. If the kid is lethargic and still feeling sick after that’d be more worrisome. Once they dump the bad stuff out of their bellies they perk up real quick.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Yeah its been another 15 minutes and he is just chatting away and trying to turn his stuffed animal turtle into a robot bulldozer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Yeah, likely just something food-related that his stomach wanted out. Happened to me during my last airplane flight; I grabbed breakfast at the airport due to time and with about 45mins to go in my flight completely lost the contents of my stomach.