Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Chuka Umana posted:

From someone who knows people who killed themselves and relapsed on drugs and alcohol during the lockdown. gently caress you for minimizing people's lived experiences. You don't have to be anti-lockdown and covid denier to admit that the lockdown was incredibly difficult for people. You need to read some Glenn Greenwald and open your mind.

shut up migf, no one likes you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

SpaceCadetBob posted:

huh, gotta say these charts are actually pretty comforting. sure out country is hosed, but makes me feel pretty good about me personally not being likely to end up in the hospital.

lol at basically no vaccine advantage for the olds though.

If old people start thinking they're no longer protected there's going to be a panic. It'll be hard to ignore the numbers.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
You can't have COVID if you're dead

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

corona familiar posted:

thought i'd join the booster party

new account but long time lurker

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Major upsurge in covid patient transports here. Covid is back baby! It's good again! Awooo

Also my strike team didn't get chosen for the deployment last week but I'm sure there will be plenty more opportunities to make big FEMA bucks this year. Ugh.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
I just checked Walgreens and I don't even have to make an appointment for a booster, just walk in!

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Iron Crowned posted:

You can't have COVID if you're dead

If you're dead, covid has you.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SpaceCadetBob posted:

huh, gotta say these charts are actually pretty comforting. sure out country is hosed, but makes me feel pretty good about me personally not being likely to end up in the hospital. especially since i got that premium moderna juice.

lol at basically no vaccine advantage for the olds though. lol wonder if congress has all gotten secret 3rd shots yet.

That data is also pretty scary since it shows in all the various bible belt / sun belt states a majority of unvaccinated cases are in the 20 to 50 age range.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/CIAGoFundMe/status/1426874553066823682?s=19

Testvan
Nov 10, 2003

https://www.vice.com/en/article/dyvemy/tokyo-olymipcs-beijing-covid

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Alright which one of you was this

edit:

:eyepop:

Steve Yun has issued a correction as of 13:49 on Aug 15, 2021

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

gently caress yeah there's a walk-in no questions asked vaccine site nearby. I had plans to go places today but gently caress that time to get a top off

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Blaziken386 posted:

so how long do you think it'll take for the government to admit that everyone should probably get a booster, not just those with hosed immune systems

asking for my friend, max titers, who is seriously considering standing around in the lobby of walgreens tomorrow

The longer you wait the greater chance that the government will OK boosters for everyone and that could drive a shortage. By getting a booster now you guarantee yourself a booster and prevent yourself from contributing to a vaccine shortage later.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Genuinely, getting a cheeky booster now by lying to a pharmacist is the more personally and sociably responsible move.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

https://twitter.com/jkelly3rd/status/1426500172285194241?s=19

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Genuinely, getting a cheeky booster now by lying to a pharmacist is the more personally and sociably responsible move.

Haha probably true, can imagine all the people sitting in places with low/no vaccine supply getting a bit annoyed though. edit: probably no more annoyed than at reports of American low vaccination rate areas flushing expired doses though.

IMO pretending to be immunocompromised but using your real info to get a booster is the worst possible choice. The health insurance companies will find a way to use that against you in future, the frayed remnants of Obamacare notwithstanding.

Nocturtle has issued a correction as of 14:34 on Aug 15, 2021

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

this thread has been corn teened

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost
has anyone ordered from pksafety in a while? that's where i got my 3M 6000 half-face last winter on some goon's recommendation and it looks like they still have 7093s in stock

also what's the difference between these vapor cartridges, they have like a half dozen options. figure i may as well pick up a pair

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
Houston man shot 6 times last week still waiting for surgery at hospital overwhelmed by COVID-19

quote:

"Having broken bones and bullets in me for over a week now, it’s a little frustrating," said Valdez. "I got shot in the neck right here, but I got hit three times in my left shoulder. That’s what is broken and what I’m awaiting surgery for."

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I posted that outside my cubicle and highlighted the second point, I don't think anyone has noticed yet

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

this is good news

for SUGA!!!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

if he can talk to newspapers obviously the triage system is working as intended, i say libbishly

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

hello, my name is “Morva Ksine” and I’m here for my um, first shot of Moderna

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/WholesomeMeme/status/1426896203405475840?s=19

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

super sweet best pal posted:

quote:

It's also transparent, designed to let the wearer still show facial expressions. The function of the internal lighting is actually to let the wearer show their face even when it's dark.
Gross

now make one for my genitals

College Rockout
Jan 10, 2010

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/08/15/olympics-tokyo-costs-japan/ posted:

It is yet unclear if there will be any significant political fallout for Japanese prime minister Yoshihide Suga, who is facing reelection this fall and is lagging in polls. Despite fears that the Olympics could become a global superspreader event and strong public opposition leading up to it, public sentiment appeared to shift once the Games began, and Olympics-related coronavirus cases were largely contained to the bubble.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Wrex Ruckus posted:

this is good news

for SUGA!!!

There apparently was a demo of rabid anti-vaxxers and anti-maskers in Tokyo today.
There were "quite a lot of people", at least that's what I got told by my press-tog gallery-colleague...

The hospitals are so overwhelmed here people are now dying in their homes waiting for care, not just Covid care.
Hey-yoooo clearly a hoax!

We're never gonna be done with this...

lmao

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Chuka Umana posted:

Mr. Greenwald has pointed out how the public health discourse includes nothing about tackling obesity, which is by far one of the biggest risk factors for covid complications. I support vaccines and lockdowns, but we need to be pushing people to work to eliminate obesity.

lol, not falling for one of these again... i don't follow the dnd thread so which poster is this copied from?

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Morbus posted:

OK, so generally, a single virus particle (of whatever virus) will not successfully complete it's entire cycle of attachment -> cell entry -> gene expression & replication -> assembly -> release. Each of these steps needs to be successfully completed in at least one cell in order for additional virus particles to emerge from that cell. And each of these steps has some (often significant) statistical failure rate. Viruses, at the end of the day, are often dumb, glitchy machines that gently caress up a lot, and the cells they infect are rarely 100% permissive.

So, for a given type of virus infecting a given type of cell, there is some statistical threshold of virus particles that needs to be present, on average, to create a self-sustaining infection. It's important to remember that there are a huge amount of variables, but it is nonetheless useful to get some ballpark idea of what this number is. One way is via cell culture: you create a culture of cells of the type you're interested in, expose it to various titers of virus, and just quantify how much the cells get hosed up--for example by counting plaques from cell lysis. Then you take a vial from the part of your dilution series that generated e.g. 100 plaques, and you try to quantify how many virus particles were in that vial. Nowadays this last part is usually done by using quantitative PCR to count how much virus genome there is, but in the bad old days you could just have a grad student do a bunch of transmission electron microscopy and count virus particles till they killed themselves. Critically, when looking at how the virus destroys cells, if you have enough virus the whole culture will just be hosed. For too little, there will be no effect at all. And for intermediate titers of virus, you will be able to see separated, distinct plaques from individual cells that got infected, burst open with more virus, infected adjacent cells, etc. So by focusing on those intermediate cases and counting plaques, you can count how many successful initial infections there were.

If you go through that whole exercise, you can have an estimate of (on average) how many viral particles it takes to create a plaque forming unit in your cel culture (or how many it takes to do some measurable thing to e.g. 50% of cells--there are a lot of variations). For some bacteriophages, this particle/PFU ratio is as low as 1--meaning a single virus particle is all it takes. For most human viruses, its anywhere in the range of 10^2's to 10^5's. Wild-type SARS-CoV-2 was I think 10^4 to 10^5. Delta is probably lower, since it is much more efficient at cell entry.

The actual number should be taken with a huge grain of salt. For one, it's ultimately going to depend a lot on the nature of the method used--you can use a given procedure to relatively compare one virus to another, but you shouldn't take the absolute plaque/PFU number as some directly, clinically applicable property of the virus. Secondly, a lot of the time, published values are some combination of old or unreliable, and it's not uncommon for different investigators to get results that vary by an order of magnitude even if using similar methods.

But conceptually, yes. The initial inoculum a person is exposed to needs to pass some threshold in order for there to be an infection. This is true even once several (or several thousand) virus particles reach susceptible target cells. And this number is not entirely random--for (most) viruses, if at least X number of virus particles don't hit their target, there is just no way a successful infection will result. It's not possible to directly translate the particle/PFU numbers from cell culture assays to "real world" infections--but they give an idea of the ballpark figure. 1 or 10 or 100 or probably even 1000 particles aren't going to cause a covid infection. (However, the amount of virus that can exist in a person or their breath is staggering, and 100,000 or a million is not a big number at all).

And yeah, this is (one of) the reasons why limiting exposure, even imperfectly, can confer protection (up to a point). There are other factors too, like how even in a successful infection, a small initial colonization will be an easier job for your immune system (and give it more time) than a large one, while taking longer to do serious damage to your body. But I think an important message is that, with delta, the empirical reality is that very short exposures to air from an infected person can cause serious illness. Particle/PFU figures, while interesting, aren't terribly useful to assess e.g. what kind of mask you should use, and you certainly shouldn't try to do like some kind of ab initio calculation of what level of exposure is "safe" based on cell culture assays lol.

this is a good post, thank you

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/sirjoancornella/status/1426896091702730760?s=21

Until the curve flattens this guy’s gonna jingle when he walks

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
it’s as if humanity has forgotten an essential way to defend itself and instead has decided to cast itself upon the rocks rather than delay gratification of modern luxuries.

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

Forseti posted:

show them a mask and give them a piece of candy. Show them a brunch and punch them in the face.

Repeat as necessary.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Spoondick posted:

lol, not falling for one of these again... i don't follow the dnd thread so which poster is this copied from?

based on the username I'm guessing "guardian writer" more than d&d poster

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
Stolen from pyf tweets

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Koirhor posted:

it’s as if humanity has forgotten an essential way to defend itself and instead has decided to cast itself upon the rocks rather than delay gratification of modern luxuries.

consumerism is americas true religion

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Koirhor posted:

I try and mention "survival" to family when talking about COVID, but they have no concept of it

An entire country brainwashed into thinking they can bootstrap their way off a ventilator

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Koirhor posted:

what is the point of life without all you can eat boneless wings

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
"We are watching the situation in Pickens County, as well as other Upstate school districts, very closely," said Tim Waller, district spokesperson. "Our process going into the school year will be any decisions made to shift to eLearning will be on a school-by-school basis determined by analysis of each school’s data. We are looking forward to a great year and will do everything in our power to keep students and staff safe."

Narrator voice:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

DickParasite posted:

what is the point of life without all you can eat boneless wings

In my misguided youth, I used to exclusively eat boneless wings. One day I was shown the light of eating bone in wings, and life would never be the same again