Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Riot Food
Dec 29, 2012
Thanks for the links and feedback, we've been trawling through Facebook this morning and there's a bunch of local eco and community groups that we're going to get involved with once covid has calmed down a bit. Appreciate that there's still a lot of solid people involved in the Labour party and doing drat good work (I was being too judgy earlier), but signing up in the middle of a left-wing purge just sends all the wrong messages for us personally. Hopefully a decent alternative will emerge or the party will sort itself out. But until then maybe it's just:

Pistol_Pete posted:

No, I've genuinely sulked and done nothing.
:hfive:

Mebh posted:

https://youtu.be/RP_Ycy9D3Hk

Here's a good video from a small content creator this thread linked a while ago on why centrism and Starmer is poo poo.
This looks super, thanks for sharing. Going to settle down with some hobnobs and watch this with my wife this afternoon once the Sunday lunchtime rush is all done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
From yospos:

as a metaphor for EVs being a lovely solution to climate issues that actively harm real solutions it's a bit heavy-handed but it'll do

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

From yospos:

as a metaphor for EVs being a lovely solution to climate issues that actively harm real solutions it's a bit heavy-handed but it'll do

The gently caress was that idiot doing?

Besides buying a Tesla I mean

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

goddamnedtwisto posted:

lol what a load of bollocks.

Why was someone filming this?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

lol what a load of bollocks.

Why was someone filming this?

Probably because the dude couldn't shut his door because Tesla cars are opened and closed electronically,filmed it because it looked funny and then caught him ramming into a bus.

Everything gets filmed now.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Edit: quote is not edit

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pistol_Pete posted:

No, I've genuinely sulked and done nothing.

lol, sorry, just sounded uncannily like approximately half my posts in UKMT since Keith became leader.

I definitely feel better since I abandoned hope in any Labour MPs, which might sound counterintuitive but it is freeing. For what its worth, if you have the time & energy, not really available to everyone I know, volunteering at a local food bank is...it's uplifting despite the fact that they are necessary is soul-crushing in itself. Or get involved with your work place union, it's a great chance to build connections & maybe even radicalise a couple people.

The left in this country is almost entirely focused around parliamentary politics or covering up sexual abuse {for the Trots out there) but we'd do well to focus outside that imo. Which make no mistake, will be a long slog & probably not all that likely to succeed. But still think things like unions, where you can make an active & noticeable improvement in people's lives while also using the chance to propagandise an alternative to neoliberalism's road to feudalism.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Probably because the dude couldn't shut his door because Tesla cars are opened and closed electronically,filmed it because it looked funny and then caught him ramming into a bus.

Hot take for that day but if you can't shut your car door don't drive the loving thing you selfish twat. Not you Gonzo, the Tesla owning oval office.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Gonzo McFee posted:

He seems to manage to close it fine when it gets battered to gently caress.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

He might have just broken the actuator by ramming it into the bus.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Everything Tesla makes is a buggy piece of crap that refuses to have a manual override because having a failsafe like that would imply that it's a buggy piece of crap. The really horrifying stories are the ones where they preinstalled DLC functions automatically charge your credit card tens of thousands for accidentally activating them, the emergency brakes randomly turn on while driving or worse when your battery overheats, the electronics fail and you're sat burning to death in a car because the only way your door opens is with the electronics.

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

OwlFancier posted:

He might have just broken the actuator by ramming it into the bus.

Possibly more than that. Actuator, hinges and if we’re *really* lucky a twisted frame.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

A lot of jealous nonsense in here today.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Tesla bugginess chat: the computer on the model S (I think, could be the 3) has a text log that dumps to internal storage because it's based on Linux and why not. Anyway. A surface mount memory chip was a few cents cheaper than an SD slot so these are non removable, but that's OK because to get at the thing you'd have to dismantle the center console anyway in all kinds of warranty voiding ways.

Except they don't have it logging just essential events and diagnostics, it's the full spiel you get with Linux system console so the thing fills up and fills up and when it's full the car doesn't turn on, it just sits there with a black screen like a bricked phone.

The repair for this involves getting Tesla to pick it up and swap out the motherboard which is a few thousand dollars of parts and labour. Aint planned obsolescence grand!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I genuinely don't think you would get me in one of them, they seem like self propelled coffins.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The fuel prices flashing in sequence at the end makes the video (even if it is just because of the camera shutter playing with the forecourt display mux).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It does put you in mind of a fruit machine when you hit the jackpot lol.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I genuinely don't think you would get me in one of them, they seem like self propelled coffins.

I suspect the car you drive is substantially less safe than a tesla.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Was the bus driver OK? He ducked, but it looks like he got showered in broken glass.

New friends: volunteering is great but it's not as sociable as I'd expected. I used to run weekly meetings for one group I volunteered for in a very studenty area, and even the regular attendees weren't interested in putting down roots in the community because none of them expected to stay after graduation. Now I volunteer at the local foodbank and it's not uncommon for me to be working alone because there's a relatively small pool of volunteers and a fairly high demand.

There is also the possibility that I am terrible at making friends.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Isomermaid posted:

Tesla bugginess chat: the computer on the model S (I think, could be the 3) has a text log that dumps to internal storage because it's based on Linux and why not. Anyway. A surface mount memory chip was a few cents cheaper than an SD slot so these are non removable, but that's OK because to get at the thing you'd have to dismantle the center console anyway in all kinds of warranty voiding ways.

Except they don't have it logging just essential events and diagnostics, it's the full spiel you get with Linux system console so the thing fills up and fills up and when it's full the car doesn't turn on, it just sits there with a black screen like a bricked phone.

The repair for this involves getting Tesla to pick it up and swap out the motherboard which is a few thousand dollars of parts and labour. Aint planned obsolescence grand!

It was model S and X up to 2018. It didn't fill up and it didn't brick the car. As far as I know Tesla were forced to recall all the affected cars as the American safety people or whatever theyre called considered it a safety issue as it could cause you to lose camera views and things like the heating controls so you might not be able to clear frost off the windscreen or whatever. Car manufacturers are forever recalling vehicles because of dumb/lazy/cheap poo poo theyve done.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Gonzo McFee posted:

or worse when your battery overheats, the electronics fail and you're sat burning to death in a car because the only way your door opens is with the electronics.
It reminds me of an anecdotal problem that historically crops up a lot in Japanese engineering, game design and Japanese culture, up to about ten or so years ago. Putting safety measures in place in case a thing fails requires acknowledging that the thing is flawed, and admitting that is seen as failure.

E: Culturally I mean things like refusing to change or update rape /assault laws because then the stats go up. In game design, at least back in the PS2 era, Japanese games were notorious for making no concessions for failure - while western games were adding checkpoints or at least unlocking shortcuts as you go, Japanese games would make you redo the whole maze / jumping puzzle / level from the start because they absolutely refused to design systems to deal with failure.

I don't know if I'm wording that right, but to me the reason Musk will not add manual door releases is because that would require admitting that the electronic systems fail randomly. So he'd rather pretend his cars are perfect while people burn to death.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Aug 15, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I remember when he was advertising his amazing spaceship capsule that had no controls except a touchscreen and everyone was like "wow so brilliant" and I was like "lmao you're gonna try and fly a spaceship using a loving phone screen"

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Lady Demelza posted:

Was the bus driver OK? He ducked, but it looks like he got showered in broken glass.

New friends: volunteering is great but it's not as sociable as I'd expected. I used to run weekly meetings for one group I volunteered for in a very studenty area, and even the regular attendees weren't interested in putting down roots in the community because none of them expected to stay after graduation. Now I volunteer at the local foodbank and it's not uncommon for me to be working alone because there's a relatively small pool of volunteers and a fairly high demand.

There is also the possibility that I am terrible at making friends.

I think this probably depends on location.

My town - population around 7-8000 - isn't 'studenty' and has quite a contingent of the sort of 'do goody well-meaning liberal (small l - sandal wearing, knit your own muesli) centrist' types in it.

And it has to be said most of the volunteers are older - tending to be over 60 - and are very busily active in every sort of community group going on. Given the age demographic, the community side suffered quite a lot from the covid lockdowns.

However, a number of local 'covid volunteer' groups with younger volunteers sprang up almost instantly to do stuff like get shopping, collect meds etc for the housebound, so younger people are there, just in normal times are busy going to work, raising families. And it's noticeable that once people started going back into workplaces, the number of people available to volunteer to go fetch dropped.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

A lot of jealous nonsense in here today.

Lol of the tesla guy ramming a bus?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It reminds me of an anecdotal problem that historically crops up a lot in Japanese engineering, game design and Japanese culture, up to about ten or so years ago. Putting safety measures in place in case a thing fails requires acknowledging that the thing is flawed, and admitting that is seen as failure.

E: Culturally I mean things like refusing to change or update rape /assault laws because then the stats go up. In game design, at least back in the PS2 era, Japanese games were notorious for making no concessions for failure - while western games were adding checkpoints or at least unlocking shortcuts as you go, Japanese games would make you redo the whole maze / jumping puzzle / level from the start because they absolutely refused to design systems to deal with failure.

This is complete bollocks.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think that has much to do with japanese vs not japanese as much as it is old vs new. Games from all over the world used to rely a lot on redoing things as a method of padding their length. If you're consciously trying to recreate the (S)NES era games you might end up doing that.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There did used to be a lot of talk about medical disclosure in the context of medicine in Japan which often got framed as an individualism vs. paternalism matter but could just as much be framed as a personal autonomy vs. familial responsibility matter or a free market vs. national healthcare matter a personal interest vs. public health matter or the neverending medical ethics debate of what exactly counts as harm caused by a physician, rather than that Japan is unique in having unusual ideas about discussing medical problems.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
From my years in the rail industry, my memories of Japan are (i) if you commit suicide by jumping under a train, your family gets sent the bill (which can be absolutely humungous - whereas in the Uk, there's a bit of a tussle between whether responsibility is Network Rail or whichever train co was running the train - noone would dare suggest billing the family - and one or other sucks it up) and (ii) if there is a bolt failure in a fishplate, say, the Japanese go out with a complete set of neatly packaged new bolts and change all the bolts at that fishplate, not rummaging around in the box of bits in the back of a van and changing just the one.

Of course, that was well over a decade ago now so things may have changed!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

The Elon defender has logged on

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Oh my god do we have a real Elon Guy in the thread? :allears:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Elon is handy very with the spaceships but appears to be shite at anything terrestrial... lithium batteries will only get you so far (pun intended). :colbert:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I've had my car for nearly a decade now and it's not burst into flames yet, it's probably going to do that any minute

annnnnnnnnnnnny minute now

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I remember when he was advertising his amazing spaceship capsule that had no controls except a touchscreen and everyone was like "wow so brilliant" and I was like "lmao you're gonna try and fly a spaceship using a loving phone screen"

In all fairness, (1) there were manual controls and (2) if you needed to take manual control of the spacecraft things are beyond hosed anyway and a phone screen is about as good as anything else. IIRC all spacecraft flight these days is computer controlled and all piloting is done on a keyboard 3 weeks beforehand.

Real life space combat is going to be less star wars and more robot wars.

Just Another Lurker posted:

Elon is handy very with the spaceships but appears to be shite at anything terrestrial... lithium batteries will only get you so far (pun intended). :colbert:

According to the OSHA thread he isn't allowed anywhere near the space stuff for national security reasons and it shows.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

crispix posted:

are there men on mumset?

i wonder what they would make of me if i posted there

There are men on mumsnet. I occasionally browse their relationships subforum and it is....interesting the reaction men get posting about any given issue compared to women, sometimes.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Elon is handy very with the spaceships

No he's not

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I bet I could build a rocket that explodes when you try to launch it.

I'll do it for £50 plus parts and labour too. Way cheaper than muskie's offering.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

My car which cost me £8k when I got it 5 years ago has the same 5/5 rating from the euro ncap as a tesla does.

It has however never put me or anyone in danger due to a software miscalculation.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
If I inhereted an apartheid emerald mine I'd probably blow it all on weed and poo poo cars as well tbh.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Elon 'talks' a good spaceship? :confused:

Or is that Bezos?

The Hyperloop does give me the giggles though, that's for sure.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Elon 'talks' a good spaceship? :confused:

Or is that Bezos?

The Hyperloop does give me the giggles though, that's for sure.

Tom Mueller is the actual rocket engineer at SpaceX, Musk just talks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Mega Comrade posted:

My car which cost me £8k when I got it 5 years ago has the same 5/5 rating from the euro ncap as a tesla does.

No, it doesn't. The euro ncap test in its current form only started in 2020, they havent even tested the model 3 against this standard, but if they did it would outperform your own vehicle. You can't conpare euro ncap tests between years, it says that on their site. They are kind of crap.