Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I prefer light/sugar free syrup to the real stuff. Also I don't like heating up the syrup, and also butter has no place on waffles/pancakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I prefer light/sugar free syrup to the real stuff. Also I don't like heating up the syrup, and also butter has no place on waffles/pancakes.

Kind of similar to the first bit, I can only drink diet soda/Red Bull/monster if I’m doing one of those (which isn’t often). The sugared ones just taste off to me.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Kind of similar to the first bit, I can only drink diet soda/Red Bull/monster if I’m doing one of those (which isn’t often). The sugared ones just taste off to me.

I drink a truly disastrous amount of coke zero and diet orange sunkist, can't stand the sugar versions.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
All not fruit sugar drinks taste pretty bad to me.

Water is really nice and I don't understand why so many people seem unable to drink the drat stuff on it's own.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Imagine being a human being over the age of 16 and smoking weed I mean WHAT THE gently caress?!?!? LMAO.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

nurmie posted:

all systems of measurements suck inherently and by definition; reality is unknowable and all important things are immesaurable

anyway, phuo: dutch cheeses are the best kinds of cheese by far; french cheese is overrated and so is french cuisine in general, their reputation no more than a product of an insidious century-long advertisement campaign

holy poo poo just saw this and wow

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Mario 64 DS is superior in every way to the original N64 version.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
waht the gently caress is "dutch cheese"

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Zzulu posted:

Cheese from the Netherlands, I would presume

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Pecan pie is some bullshit. I remember the first time having it thinking it was gonna be full nut. Fucker who made it must've been laughing his rear end off making corn syrup pie and tricking people with nuts. It's pretty good tho

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Pecan just tastes like wax to me unless you "candy" it, but you can candy anything and it'd be good. The only good nuts are cashews and peanuts and brazil nuts. Almonds are OK but they are pretty dry.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Get a better pecan pie, it's the USA, you gotta be prepared if you want to avoid corn syrup.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The best syrup is real southern molasses kind. Maybe add some chopped pecans. gently caress the overpriced northern tree goop. PS texans are the only people in the world who can pronounce "pecan"

There’s three regional Texan varieties of the word pecan.

The pee-can, shared with the Yankees.

The p’khan, which is correct.

And the puh-khan, which is super country.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Captain Monkey posted:

The p’khan, which is correct..

A klingon’s favorite nut

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I go with the "pea-kin" pronunciation, only in the plural and only following "no".

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Zzulu posted:

You uhhh... don't want to know :whitewater:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

alexandriao posted:

You uhhh... don't want to know :whitewater:
I google searched and I see nothing that would resemble "blue waffle" :eng101:

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Almonds are cool if you make a korma or something and dice up the almonds into tiny bits and sprinkle them. nice bit of crunch

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Macarons are the only acceptable way to prepare Almonds.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Almonds take up way too much water to be worth producing

More importantly, they taste like poo poo

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

The toasted almost is the finest topping for any cooked cruciferous vegetable and also green beans. Also grits. Also vanilla ice cream. Also tomato soup.

Dang it is a severely good topping for most stuff

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Veteran's Day and Memorial Day should be removed from the calendar until US troops manage to win a loving war again

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Gripweed posted:

Veteran's Day and Memorial Day should be removed from the calendar until US troops manage to win a loving war again

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

True Crime is absolute trash. It's a crap genre of entertainment that is literally worse than watching some Dateline NBC show every night about some random lady getting raped and murdered, because it's the same drat thing only catered to fart huffing NPR types and it's a bajillion hours long. It's just garbage tier rubber necking masquerading as something more important.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

True Crime is absolute trash. It's a crap genre of entertainment that is literally worse than watching some Dateline NBC show every night about some random lady getting raped and murdered, because it's the same drat thing only catered to fart huffing NPR types and it's a bajillion hours long. It's just garbage tier rubber necking masquerading as something more important.

So is all war literature in this reading, unless it is entirely fictional.

It is sometimes very hard to be able to tell what we want, I think this hurts us more than just not wanting anything.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Josef bugman posted:

So is all war literature in this reading, unless it is entirely fictional.

It is sometimes very hard to be able to tell what we want, I think this hurts us more than just not wanting anything.

I’ve read some absolutely fantastic war literature but it has a level of insight you don’t see in true crime. A war memoir or novel from someone who’s been there can at least present what the subjective experience was like and what it did to the author. True crime rarely goes above “here’s what happened” and speculation and theories.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i hate temperature advice bullshit geared towards people who are always cold

"turn your AC up to 25 degrees in summer, then your AC won't have to work as hard and you will still maintain a comfortable home temperature!" but 25 degrees is not anywhere near comfortable

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’ve read some absolutely fantastic war literature but it has a level of insight you don’t see in true crime. A war memoir or novel from someone who’s been there can at least present what the subjective experience was like and what it did to the author. True crime rarely goes above “here’s what happened” and speculation and theories.

Does stuff written down need to be neccesarily insightful as opposed to descriptive?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Josef bugman posted:

Does stuff written down need to be neccesarily insightful as opposed to descriptive?

I'd say no but despite enjoying true crime myself, you can't really deny a lot of it is ghoulish. The nature of the subject matter makes it more fraught than like, reading an uninsightful description of what it was like to be at Woodstock.

I survived a violent terrorist attack, and I'm ok to talk about it, but the genre can vacillate between "what was it like, how did you recover?" and "so what was the gore like?" One is obviously worth existing and the other not. If you want gore watch Nightmare on Elm Street again, that movie rules.

It can also be really fraught for the copaganda. It focuses on heinous poo poo and bizarre mysteries. You obviously root for the cops and prosecutors over Ted Bundy. True crime junkies can end up forgetting that the legal system spends 99% of its time doing the heinous poo poo itself instead of tracking down the Ted Bundys of the world.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

That's fair.

TBH the only "true crime" stuff I have ever seen is buzzfeed unsolved.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I'm not joking. American troops were in Afghanistan for 20 years with the mission of defeating the Taliban and training the Afghani security forces. And when the Americans leave, the Taliban instantly effortlessly reconquer the country. The Taliban don't seem very defeated! The Afghani security forces don't seem very trained! 20 loving years and that's the best American soldiers can do.

There's a lot of talk about what would've been a better strategy or should we have stayed in for longer or should we have never gone in at all, but all that misses a blatant truth that's staring us in the face; the American troops failed. They were given a mission and the men and women of the American armed forces completely hosed it up. The failure of the American occupation of Afghanistan rests primarily on American soldiers.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Gripweed posted:

I'm not joking. American troops were in Afghanistan for 20 years with the mission of defeating the Taliban and training the Afghani security forces. And when the Americans leave, the Taliban instantly effortlessly reconquer the country. The Taliban don't seem very defeated! The Afghani security forces don't seem very trained! 20 loving years and that's the best American soldiers can do.

There's a lot of talk about what would've been a better strategy or should we have stayed in for longer or should we have never gone in at all, but all that misses a blatant truth that's staring us in the face; the American troops failed. They were given a mission and the men and women of the American armed forces completely hosed it up. The failure of the American occupation of Afghanistan rests primarily on American soldiers.

The mission was impossible. Should I blame you for not being able to piss out the sun if I tell you to do it?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Josef bugman posted:

The mission was impossible. Should I blame you for not being able to piss out the sun if I tell you to do it?

Is there a Sun-Pissers Day where people are expected to remember and respect all the people who tried?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Gripweed posted:

how many times have I told you to stop writing those internet screeds and come downstairs for dinner, young man? your dino nuggets are getting cold

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Sweevo posted:

Is there a Sun-Pissers Day where people are expected to remember and respect all the people who tried?

Remember the people who believed it would be good, sure. Veterans require support the same as other folks and I assumed you'd have to memoralise the dead at least a bit. Most of the time we should try and respect people who believed in something wrong but thought they were doing good. However the people at the top of all of this? They should be either on trial at the Hague or in their own nations. Every scrap of money made from this should be redistributed.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

holy poo poo just saw this and wow

i stand by every word :colbert:

though in hindsight i should've worded "dutch cheese" differently, yes

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Gripweed posted:

Tucker Carlson and Erik Prince literally just agreed with you yesterday on fox news lol.

PHUO: people wanking about the defeat of the US military often miss the forest for the trees. The assassination of Soleimani is the last one I remember triggering this fantasizing before covid hit. Yes, the US military would fail to occupy and "regime-change" Iran. Nevertheless, the total would be at most tens of thousands of dead US combatants to a disgusting mountain uncountable of dead iranian civilians. Nor is the US military alone in failing forever and always at these boondoggles with no goal that characterize post-WW2 fights by imperial powers. All the huge militaries can blow poo poo up and leave, none succeed in attempting what the US attempted in places like Vietnam or Afghanistan. Like, China immediately invaded Vietnam after the US and failed.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 15:27 on Aug 15, 2021

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Gripweed posted:

I'm not joking. American troops were in Afghanistan for 20 years with the mission of defeating the Taliban and training the Afghani security forces.

That's why you're confused. The mission was actually to keep American politicians in power with an increase in nationalism while simultaneously shoveling your tax money in to the "right" companies.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Josef bugman posted:

Right, the Taliban are invincible and Afghanis can't be trained to tie their shoes. Cmon, listen to yourself, that is such an obvious excuse. The troops failed. We don't need to pretend to respect the troops anymore, they've done nothing to earn respect in the past 70 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Gripweed posted:

Right, the Taliban are invincible and Afghanis can't be trained to tie their shoes. Cmon, listen to yourself, that is such an obvious excuse. The troops failed. We don't need to pretend to respect the troops anymore, they've done nothing to earn respect in the past 70 years.

Doing a bizarre reversal of "respect the troops but not the war" is possibly the worst take in this thread, and I am not exactly a troop respecter!