Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The best thing about Species is that's its a godawful movie full of extremely talented actors who nevertheless deliver really good performances despite being given almost nothing to work with. Now that's talent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Mierenneuker posted:

And if you thought the first Species already was all about loving and reproducing, whoo-whee, Species II is a sequel for you!

Back in college one of my friends did an internship on Species 2. He got to meet one of the head SFX guys, who apparently was the person that was in the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man suit. My friend got to control the tentacles seen in the climatic battle at the end of the movie.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

My favorite thing about Species is that there's a government appointed telepath on the squad, and no one is either surprised or especially interested in that.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Mierenneuker posted:

And if you thought the first Species already was all about loving and reproducing, whoo-whee, Species II is a sequel for you!
As they say, big nips big life

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

theironjef posted:

My favorite thing about Species is that there's a government appointed telepath on the squad, and no one is either surprised or especially interested in that.

And he is so useless at his job.

Hm yes a room with blood splatter all over the walls and a corpse ripped in half.

....something bad happened here.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I'm watching 30 Days of Night and drat do people turn into vampires easily/quickly in this movie.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

8one6 posted:

I'm watching 30 Days of Night and drat do people turn into vampires easily/quickly in this movie.

This is also irritatingly true of zombies in 'Kingdom', which so far is basically Game of Thrones: Korea. People in that show turn into ravenous zombies in seconds flat even when they're just bitten non-fatally on the hand.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

It’s never front and center but there’s lots of small clues in Friends that Joey lies and tricks women into having sex with him and has no interest in them as people.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Hah, more like ol'howyadoinless, amirite?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

oldpainless posted:

It’s never front and center but there’s lots of small clues in Friends that Joey lies and tricks women into having sex with him and has no interest in them as people.

The truth is that time is an arbitrary illusion, a structure we attempt to impose on the structureless rhythms of a universe that barely even registers our existence, that this life is merely a brief flash between the state that we were in before birth and the state we will return to after death, and that all we are, all we will only ever be, ever so briefly, is on a break

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Not so much a movie moment as one that's associated with movie fandom and I dunno where else to ask this.

Why does half the internet seem to be constantly on Brendan Fraser's dick?

I mean, the guy is a competent B-list actor who iirc was pretty active in the late 90's and early 2000's and who was moderately amusing in the George of the Jungle film remake, but every now and then I go on imgur and there's dozens of front-page trending images of the guy usually with some text proclaiming how fabulous the guy is and I feel like I'm missing something.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Breetai posted:

Not so much a movie moment as one that's associated with movie fandom and I dunno where else to ask this.

I mean, the guy is a competent B-list actor who iirc was pretty active in the late 90's and early 2000's and who was moderately amusing in the George of the Jungle film remake, but every now and then I go on imgur and there's dozens of front-page trending images of the guy usually with some text proclaiming how fabulous the guy is and I feel like I'm missing something.

Probably a combination of nostalgia for the films he was in (lots of the internet is now in the nostalgia-for-20-years-ago bracket) and sympathy that his career was hosed up by him being the victim of a sexual assault.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Dude is sympathetic as hell and has, as mentioned above, had a rough life. It wasn't just the sexual assault, IIRC, but also that his body was supremely hosed up from all the stunts he did, his marriage fell apart, he got super depressed, etc. I remember reading a really evocative interview a little while back and it's just all a really sad story.

Combine that with the nostalgia factor and him seeming to get better recently with Doom Patrol and other projects, looking/sounding much better and doing more public appearances, dash in a bit of meme/hype and you get what it is now.

People are just rooting for him, and it's frankly lovely to see the internet come together like that for something unambiguously good for once.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Breetai posted:

every now and then I go on imgur

Why though? Imgur doesn't need you to have an account to upload anything, and apart from being an image host it's also a near-*chan level cesspit.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Rascar Capac posted:

Probably a combination of nostalgia for the films he was in (lots of the internet is now in the nostalgia-for-20-years-ago bracket) and sympathy that his career was hosed up by him being the victim of a sexual assault.

:stare:

I clearly am not up on my celebrity personal lives news. gently caress.

Memento posted:

Why though? Imgur doesn't need you to have an account to upload anything, and apart from being an image host it's also a near-*chan level cesspit.

Sometimes I like to search for the word "Kitten" and never read the comments.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Breetai posted:

Sometimes I like to search for the word "Kitten" and never read the comments.

That's reasonable.

Basically anything with comments is like, don't.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Edit Nvm thoroughly beaten to the punch

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I used uBlock to remove the entire comment section. Also, to turn off all third party scripts.

Imgur's a lot faster and better in every way now.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Breetai posted:

gently caress you
Brendan Fraser is and has been a solid actor

he's got a main character part coming up soon

/e:

https://i.imgur.com/2gcJvLp.mp4

stringless has a new favorite as of 11:32 on Aug 17, 2021

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

FFT posted:

gently caress you
Brendan Fraser is and has been a solid actor

I also liked him a lot as a charming action hero.

I was watching the Corridor Crew's SFX Artists reacts videos and in the one about The Mummy they were really commending his ability to play pretend slapstick in all the fights against CGI enemies, especially since at the time it was still an unusual skill (timestamped at 12:23 in case it doesn't work).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lKBaK-Q40Y&t=743s

EDIT: added the video.

That Italian Guy has a new favorite as of 12:12 on Aug 17, 2021

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Fraser's also in the very good show Doom Patrol, which is coming back month.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Fraser went reddit front page because he has a very high alimony arrangement with his ex-wife - something like 50K a month. Definitely no subtext to somebody posting him to the front page over that. He seems like a nice dude by all accounts though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
IIRC the divorce was right before/during him getting blacklisted (because he wouldn't be quiet about being sexually assaulted) and the courts wouldn't adjust it for his loss of income.

Alimony's a weird thing. I think like, less than a thousand people in the US actively receive it?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
He was also one of the male victims to come out during #metoo

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

darkwasthenight posted:

Fraser went reddit front page because he has a very high alimony arrangement with his ex-wife - something like 50K a month. Definitely no subtext to somebody posting him to the front page over that. He seems like a nice dude by all accounts though.

He’s been an hero to some awful people for a long time because of his divorce.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I think a fan recently did like a tic-tok with him or something and showed him some of the latent love for him and he nearly/actually cried because he was so overwhelmed by everyone's support, so the internet being the internet took it up to 11 above 11, as well.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I can't not post about how awesome Brendan Fraser is and how amazing the Mummy 1 and 2 is.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It's a shame because people keep talking about Chris Pratt or whoever being the next Indiana Jones when Brendan Fraser was probably the best person for that kind of genre in general. With the Mummy he knows exactly what type of movie he's in and what he needs to do and he pulls it off flawlessly.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I can't think of the phrase "what the gently caress" without hearing it in his voice now.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Biplane posted:

I can't not post about how awesome Brendan Fraser is and how amazing the Mummy 1 and 2 is.

Fraser was also really good in Airheads.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Breetai posted:

every now and then I go on imgur

turn around, Breetai

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

packetmantis posted:

turn around, Breetai

Every now and then I look at cats. :shrug:

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Breetai posted:

Every now and then I look at cats. :shrug:

A thread that everyone should have bookmarked.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
Modern loving fighter jets that fly within punching distance of godzilla/king kong/Kaiju/General Zod/anything really. Out of all the dumb poo poo in Godzilla vs Kong that I saw yesterday this is the worst.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Biplane posted:

I can't agree with 2 but the first movie is pretty much a classic.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I can't agree with 2 but the first movie is pretty much a classic.

2 probably could've been just as good if they'd just left out the drat kid. "Hey, we managed to land a surprise hit with the first movie on the back of its extremely charming cast. For the sequel, that cast should take a backseat to some obnoxious precocious child character taking up like half of the screen time!"

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Man with Hat posted:

Modern loving fighter jets that fly within punching distance of godzilla/king kong/Kaiju/General Zod/anything really. Out of all the dumb poo poo in Godzilla vs Kong that I saw yesterday this is the worst.

Pfff. Seeing the military get trashed is an essential element of the experience, if you ask me.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Man with Hat posted:

Literally because they saw it in the original Kong movie. But that was almost 100 years ago (1933, drat that's old) and they were flying biplanes.

Bit it "looks cool" and no matter how stupid, cool always override realism.

And yes, it bugs the hell out of me, too.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Now that I think about it, what bugs me about Kaiju is how come shooting the eyes doesn't hurt more?

Like I'm huge but a grain of sand blown right in my eye balls fucks my whole afternoon up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Like 90% of modern Kaiju films take place in constant rain which means modern fighter planes can't fly at all.