Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

I'm loving the totally-not-contradictory claims that Americans are tired of the war in Afghanistan and will just be glad to leave finally and it won't matter if we got humiliated in the process, oh but also Americans don't pay any attention to anything and everyone will forget about this in four weeks.

The only way that could possibly work is if Americans were having their lives actually materially impacted by this stupid loving war, but they aren't. This is a story arc that dragged on way too long and everyone got bored of it and tired of hearing about it because the whole thing really made us look like stupid loving assholes. That's the basis for Americans "wanting out": nothing to do with any right of Afghans to self-determination, nor spending too much "blood and treasure" or whatever nonsense - as though a country already spending 1/20th of its GDP on it's military would care about that. Just making it vanish from the public consciousness completely would have been a great move by the Biden administration, but what they did instead was to give us all a new story about getting humiliated by people that we've been taught are stupid and weak and backward and like gently caress goats or whatever, nonstop for the last twenty years. And we're going to be watching that show in between our prestige TV for the next five years, so brace yourself.

Just watched an ad during football for the marines showing our brave murderers fighting evil muslims in the street of indecipherable desert city.

Recruitment is going to absolutely tank.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

okay this is a pretty big fuckup to leave your journalists in what was a pretty obvious outcome of taliban takeover

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

It looks like this Tweet got taken down? What did it say?

As far as election talk goes, I don't know what effect it will have. It's pretty far in advance of the midterms and right now people are preoccupied with the Delta Wave and the pandemic, wildfires, Haitian earthquakes, migrant border woes and God knows what else. The timing is pretty far out too.

The media seems pretty tightly tied in with the Think Tank and NGO world though, so if the media keeps forcing stories down people's throats regardless of ratings then it could have a very real effect, but I think it's right now getting lost in the fog. This is compounded by the fact that the number of US troops in Afghanistan has been fairly low for years now and our military is all "volunteer" so it's not quite like Vietnam where hundreds of thousands of American families had to see their sons fly over into a meatgrinder. The Afghan war has been like a background app running steadily in America's dysfunctional system since 2002.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

no.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Sex Captain posted:

china will pour in investments and trade agreements and hopefully ply the new Afghan administrators with wine, women, and song, and it will prove to be the most supreme strategy of all
the underhanded chinese strategy of just helping to improve the material conditions of people they wish to influence and making mutually-beneficial deals :argh:

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

FizFashizzle posted:

Richard Engel probably needs to gtfo

maybe dont fly into a loving country while its us puppet govt is collapsing and spout shitlib talking points

Sex Captain
Aug 15, 2021

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Just watched an ad during football for the marines showing our brave murderers fighting evil muslims in the street of indecipherable desert city.

Recruitment is going to absolutely tank.

a recruiter at college tried to talk me into enlisting with the hope of eventually becoming an officer and i never gave him a firm answer

One month later, I received a recurring nightmare about having signed enlistment papers and realizing i'd thrown away the hopes and aspirations of my highly bourgeois family

Sad Billionaire
Mar 31, 2009

What a twist
Fan of Britches

Agrajag posted:

maybe dont fly into a loving country while its us puppet govt is collapsing

that's basically his whole thing though

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

*italian chef kissy fingers*

Sex Captain
Aug 15, 2021

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

the underhanded chinese strategy of just helping to improve the material conditions of people they wish to influence and making mutually-beneficial deals :argh:

did I come off as negative?

i did not mean to

I really was sincere in saying this is the objectively best way to do afghanistan affairs

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1426931538571128838

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Toplowtech posted:

A classic indeed, that you will see more than you like during the next electoral cycle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sFzF7jWeLg

lmao what cause does a puppet govt have to fight for when all they care about is money from uncle daddy sam vs a group who is fighting against their occupiers and invaders?

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Sex Captain posted:

i did not mean to

I really was sincere in saying this is the objectively best way to do afghanistan affairs
ah, no you did not, I got it

I'm not all hot-tempered confrontational shitposts, although I can forgive anyone for thinking otherwise

Blaisedell
May 7, 2008

FizFashizzle posted:

Yeah lmao

Is now really the time for pointless poo poo like that?

Sir this is America. it's always time for pointless poo poo like that

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Sex Captain posted:

i did not mean to

It's the best way for any established country to get anything it wants. There's a KFC in Mecca for God's sake

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

ah, no you did not, I got it

I'm not all hot-tempered confrontational shitposts, although I can forgive anyone for thinking otherwise

you still called me a d&d poster and for that I will never forget or forgive you

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Pook Good Mook posted:

It's the best way for any established country to get anything it wants. There's a KFC in Mecca for God's sake
a kfc in saudi arabia probably isn't the best example of this

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

you still called me a d&d poster and for that I will never forget or forgive you
another day another forums jihadi

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

why are white noise d&d libs coming here of all places to cope

lmao gently caress u

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Pook Good Mook posted:

Yeah, that's not the same.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/nocontextafgwar/status/1426929592460353539?s=20

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

another day another forums jihadi

it seems you were the real American military all along

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

LMFAO this demon cracker nation values a piece of loving cloth more than all the lives weve bombed out of existence in the name of whatever the gently caress

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

OhFunny posted:

https://twitter.com/KarzaiH/status/1426922752674435084?s=20

"Following the departure of Mr. Ashraf Ghani and the responsible officials from the country, in order to prevent chaos and reduce the suffering of the people and to better manage the affairs related to peace and peaceful transfer of the Coordinating Council consisting of the esteemed Dr. Abdullah Abdullah, Chairman of the Supreme Council National Reconciliation, Jihadi leader Gulbuddin Hekmatyar, the Emir of Hezb-e-Islami Afghanistan and former President Hamid Karzai were formed. The council calls on the government security forces and the security forces of the Islamic Tehreek-e-Taliban (TTP) to resolutely curb the chaos and incitement of irresponsible and unrelated individuals while maintaining restraint."

Ghani flees into exile and Karzai is sitting on the Supreme Council of National Reconciliation.

He's outmaneuvered Ghani one last time. What a pro.

*clap*

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

2nd edition: "Be so corrupt and lovely that a competent opposition displaces you"

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Agrajag posted:

LMFAO this demon cracker nation values a piece of loving cloth more than all the lives weve bombed out of existence in the name of whatever the gently caress

You gotta formally cope, my friend.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

genericnick posted:

Election talk is dumb. It might lop a few % points off Biden in the coming Dementiathon, but the Delta wave will bury it pretty soon.

were here to watch and laugh at america losing gently caress off with election talk imo

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Agrajag posted:

Sorry Amir, yes I know you worked with us from the start.
But there are no seats left. That seat is for the flag.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

*intelligence analyst hastily flipping through pages as taliban draw closer*

"sorry..sorry...this book is just really long so i never finished it"

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

It's just contact numbers of US defence contractors, Republican senators, and the Murdochs.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Jon Irenicus posted:

alright we had our turn. China, would you like to go next in Afghanistan?

i mean if you deliberately ignore that china has no intention of invading and occupying and has explicitly said their intentions of investing with money while working alongside the taliban sure

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

it’s time to bring the flag home

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/Rimmy_Downunder/status/1426838276703330310

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

When you reach the end, you find out you were the monster at the end of the book the whole time!

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

ahahahah omg this is turning out to be an even bigger disaster than i ever thought possible congrats for the content

Brogeoisie posted:

It was a tweet saying kabul airport is under fire and to shelter in place

what was that about posters saying the taliban wouldnt fire on the easily targeted ariport?? big lmaos

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
https://twitter.com/LizSly/status/1426934873097449473

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

a.lo posted:

it’s time to bring the flag home

And make one of those 'Troops Come Home' videos, the flag is slowly brought up behind someone, they turn around, freak out and start crying and hugging it.

Internet Poster
Nov 1, 2020

ashraf “ben” ghani

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

2nd edition: "Be so corrupt and lovely that a competent opposition displaces you"
My favorite part was Biden going "we gave them billions in military equipment, if the 300 000 soldiers happily go toward death for the glory of the US government instead of just surrendering and get the promise of a pardon from the Talibans, they CAN win".

Toplowtech has issued a correction as of 17:06 on Aug 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

jfc